Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-05-2005   #1
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run
Default Yay

As of right now on the depth chart, Gafney is listed as the #2 wide reciver. I think this could be Gaffney's last year to prove himself worthy of a second round pick. Also, if Bradford is in the slot we might get some good matchu-ups with him going deep against a nickle corner or a saftey. Maybe not....Well, atleast BRadford isn't strating....
run-david-run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe this means we will be lining up Armstrong in the slot.

Bradford did put up a pretty dismal performance.. and with our new "timing route offense".. a receiver like gaffney who can run precise routes would be of bigger benefit at #2 than a speedster like Bradford..imo.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #3
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Thank god. I'd also like to see Mathis up there at 3 ahead of bradford
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #4
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

We run 3-WR sets so whoever is listed as the number 2 and 3 WR doesnt matter.

Gaff has proven a simple fact: A WR needs to be thrown the ball to make plays. When Gaff is thrown the ball, see Tampa Bay in preseason, see Chicago last season, he can make incrediable catches and gets first downs and move the ball consistentley. Gaff wont be able to 'prove' himself to yall until Carr 'proves' to some of us that he can read a defense and stop with the quick reads and automatic dumps to Davis. Gaff has gotten open over the last 2 years, it's time for Carr to give him the ball.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #5
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 32596 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

If this "timing route offense" works wonders....Imagine this....

Carr back to pass...PUMP FAKES....throws deep..caught by Johnson!...etc.

Point is, if its killing defenses, it can open it up for the deep ball.
Old 09-05-2005   #6
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

We may see another reason why they kept Armstrong in about 4 months.

Gaffney will be eligible for UFA after this season if he stays healthy and is active for the requisite number of games.

Gaffney's agent is Drew R. If Drew gets stupid with Gaff's contract demands (totally possible) and he is not signable, then the Texans will have another possession recevier with similar skills as Gaffney waiting in the wings (Armstrong).

The reason I bring this up is because I haven't heard anything about a Gaff contract extension in the works. It could all be going on behind closed doors - this is all just speculation - but I could see it happening.

Armstrong will be eligible for UFA at the end of this season but he will be a bit more affordable than Gaffney and easier to re-sign. There's not a huge gap talent-wise between the two, so you keep the guy who will cost less.

Last edited by aj.; 09-05-2005 at 04:06 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
Thank god. I'd also like to see Mathis up there at 3 ahead of bradford
My thoughts, exactly. Bench Bradford.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2005   #8
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Not when I looked.....
run-david-run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #9
Rightnow
Veteran

I think Bradford will be better in the slot. He is fast and no line backer and most nickle corners won't be able to keep up with him.

I foresee Mathis being number two next year and Gaf number 3 and Armstrong number 4.

Rightnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #10
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

When the Texans have gone with a 3 WR set it has been AJ in the slot for the most part. This is something new that Palmer is trying to create mismatches and get Andre open more often. The #2 and #3 WR's have been on the corners and AJ has been roaming the middle.
HardKnockTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #11
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

i like mathis starting in the slot, then moving to the #2 spot in week 12 or something
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I find it interesting how the outlook on Gaffney is so grim in this town. The guy is a legitimate #2 WR, but most people fail to recognize it. He had more YPC than either AJ or Bradford last year and had a higher percentage of catches-to-targets than either of them. The problem is the fact that he doesn't get targeted as often as he should. Maybe Gaffney's just not the next great thing, like Mathis, but take a look at his numbers and you cannot argue his productivity. He has been productive with the opportunities given.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Part of Gaffney's problem is that so many folks seem to want to cover Carr's flaws by making excuses for him at every turn by pinning the blame on players that are hard to grade tangibly by the fans. According to the bulk of the fan base it has to be either the line's fault or the WR's fault that David can't find his WR2. Gaffney is very underappreciated by the fans here in Houston.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I second that. I always thought that our offense seems to be at its finest when Gaff is given the opportunity to make plays. Games that come to mind are, Miami, KC in KC, in Tenn, Oakland, Chicago. I think we will see an extremely rejuvenated Gaffney though. Even team leader esque!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005   #15
humbleone
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Part of Gaffney's problem is that so many folks seem to want to cover Carr's flaws by making excuses for him at every turn by pinning the blame on players that are hard to grade tangibly by the fans. According to the bulk of the fan base it has to be either the line's fault or the WR's fault that David can't find his WR2. Gaffney is very underappreciated by the fans here in Houston.
Well said Vinny...Gaffney is underappreciated by some (perhaps many) of the fans but by no means all of us. He has turned out to be a terrific pick with a "2" IMO and should do nothing but get better for the next few years...he just needs more balls thrown his way and yes a lot of that does fall onto Carr's/Palmer's shoulders for being too quick to settle for the dump off to DD instead of going to Gaffney.
humbleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005   #16
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
Gaffney drops balls, I question his hands and his inability to catch Carr's rockets. Everything has to be between the numbers or he coughs it up.

For godsakes! Did everybody forgot "the gaff"!? I mean come on the guy runs in the endzone and before he crosses the line, he bubbles the ball and nobody touched him.
Is that first part a joke post? Armstrong might be the only person on the team with better hands than Gaffney and even then it's pretty close.

That was an isolated mental error and I'm pretty sure it was a strong lesson. Not to mention we still won the game so it can be forgiven a little easier.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005   #17
southtexan
Veteran

Quote:
Gaffney drops balls, I question his hands and his inability to catch Carr's rockets. Everything has to be between the numbers or he coughs it up.

For godsakes! Did everybody forgot "the gaff"!? I mean come on the guy runs in the endzone and before he crosses the line, he bubbles the ball and nobody touched him.
You sure sound like my wife, I do something wrong one time and she claims that I always do it wrong.
southtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005   #18
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
He has the best hands on the team.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005   #19
Holden135
Veteran

I think Gaff's last preseason game locked up his #2 spot. I had no doubt that he would at some time this season go back to the #2 spot it was just a matter of how he played after the injury. Well he was really the only bright spot from the game with the Bucs and i am excited to see him take some pressure off of AJ. I believe we will have a variety of #3 receivers on sunday. I think Bradford, Mathis and even Armstrong will all get playing time. Bradford i think will be the one on the hot seat coming into the season. The #3 spot is still up for grabs. The fact that AJ will be moving around (left, right, and slot) also gives me further reason to believe that we will have a variety of wr lineups over the course of the game.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 358082 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well you have already taken some heat for this comment, but heck it was so far off base it deserves a little more.

In the last two years Gaffney has dropped 2 of 125 balls directed toward him--about 1.8%. In the same time period Randy Moss has dropped 13 of 257--about 5%. I guess that either makes Moss Sir Dropsalot or makes Gaffney Spiderman--either way, Gaffney's hands are not an issue.

As an aside, I couldn't believe I came back to the MB after the Bucs game and no one was complimenting his one handed falling away sideline catch. If AJ, Moss, TO, Roy Williams, etc. had made that catch it would have been all over Sportscenter. The problem with Gaff is he needs to be thrown to more not less.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read