Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-05-2005   #41
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's only "logical thinking" if the Texans were taking the same motivation to the preseason that they do to the regular season. It's only "logical thinking" if the Texans were using the same players and schemes in the preseason that they do in the regular season.
what a load of 'horse cookies'. According to you, the Texans starters didn't even play then, huh. And the plays they called we won't EVER use in a real game, huh.

According to you, Preseason is only to evaluate players on the bubble, so why even put the starters in at all? Preseason isn't to practice timing routes and blocking schemes against other teams starters at all is it? I mean according to you and the other on this board, it was all a ruse to fool the other teams into thinking we really are a bunch of STUPID FOOTBALL PLAYERS, huh? All I know is if the Texans Players are that good of actors, they need to be in Hollywood and not Texas. They are definitely Academy Award winner's in Acting. Obviously that whole preseason ruse was as good as the Trojan Horse one back in the day. Yep, we got the whole other 31 teams in the NFL fooled now. They probably won't even play thier starters in Buffalo, to keep them from getting hurt, we fooled them so bad.

The only thing I hope is that Carr really does have some kind of 'Real NFL QB' suit in his locker and changes into it quickly. Because in exactly 6 days we are going to get to see if the 'Preseason Trojan Horse Ruse' worked or not.

And I can't tell you how happy I will be to be wrong and come on here and tell all you 'Preseason doesn't mean anything Homers' how right you were. Nothing would make me happier.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #42
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll buy the Texans are preparing for the 1st game not pre-season . A guy named Vince Lombardi said that winning is not a sometimes thing you can't just decide to win . You play like you practice and and pre-season is practice.

The Texans have'nt earned the right to stink and not be worried about it cuz it's pre-season . Their closer to San Fran and Cleveland than they are to Philly and the Colts .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #43
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
what a load of 'horse cookies'. According to you, the Texans starters didn't even play then, huh. And the plays they called we won't EVER use in a real game, huh.

According to you, Preseason is only to evaluate players on the bubble, so why even put the starters in at all? Preseason isn't to practice timing routes and blocking schemes against other teams starters at all is it? I mean according to you and the other on this board, it was all a ruse to fool the other teams into thinking we really are a bunch of STUPID FOOTBALL PLAYERS, huh? All I know is if the Texans Players are that good of actors, they need to be in Hollywood and not Texas. They are definitely Academy Award winner's in Acting. Obviously that whole preseason ruse was as good as the Trojan Horse one back in the day. Yep, we got the whole other 31 teams in the NFL fooled now. They probably won't even play thier starters in Buffalo, to keep them from getting hurt, we fooled them so bad.

The only thing I hope is that Carr really does have some kind of 'Real NFL QB' suit in his locker and changes into it quickly. Because in exactly 6 days we are going to get to see if the 'Preseason Trojan Horse Ruse' worked or not.

And I can't tell you how happy I will be to be wrong and come on here and tell all you 'Preseason doesn't mean anything Homers' how right you were. Nothing would make me happier.
Why put the starters in? Because how would you sell tickets if you never play any player that fans know?

Most NFL analysts and teams want a shorter preseason, and there's a reason for that. It's purpose is irrelevant except for a few players on the bubble. The NFL, however, uses it to bring in extra revenue. And the teams oblige, but they try to keep the playbooks as simple as possible to avoid any risk of injury or giving our secrets.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you think we won in Miami in 2003? We looked even worse that preseason than we did in this one... and somehow, we went on the road and beat a very good team on the road in the first week. Maybe, just maybe, the Texans played different when they actually gave a **** about the game?
DomDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #44
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
I'll buy the Texans are preparing for the 1st game not pre-season . A guy named Vince Lombardi said that winning is not a sometimes thing you can't just decide to win . You play like you practice and and pre-season is practice.

The Texans have'nt earned the right to stink and not be worried about it cuz it's pre-season . Their closer to San Fran and Cleveland than they are to Philly and the Colts .
Every team has earned that right. I wouldn't be worried about San Fran and Cleveland if they played poorly in the preseason. I'd be worried about how they played last season. When every coach will agree that the W/L result is irrelevant, it's pretty silly to act like some teams have to "earn" the right not to worry about it.

Pre-season isn't practice. It's actually less relevant than practice. At least in practice the Texans work on all their schemes and formations and talk strategy. Pre-season games are all about being very vanilla and doing your best to hide your new wrinkles for when the games actually count.
Old 09-05-2005   #45
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomDavis
No, but they can walk off the field, go into the locker room and start running their real plans, their real protection schemes and playing their star running back more than a quarter. If our starters can't get any offense generated against the opposition's first and second string... it's completely irrelevant because we don't have all of our players playing. More importantly, however, is the fact that the Texans did not care about winning and losing and did not come even close to using the plays and schemes they are going to use in the regular seson.

It's only "logical thinking" if the Texans were taking the same motivation to the preseason that they do to the regular season. It's only "logical thinking" if the Texans were using the same players and schemes in the preseason that they do in the regular season. Neither is true, so there's absolutely zero correlation.
...you've got to be awfully bored to believe you need to defend the Texans
on every post!! This Sunday is your day because the Texans will verify
all your logic...right?
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #46
DomDavis
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
...you've got to be awfully bored to believe you need to defend the Texans
on every post!! This Sunday is your day because the Texans will verify
all your logic...right?
It's not about defending the Texans... it's about defending common sense. I've never seen anyone freak out so much about preseason football games as some of the people here.

As for Sunday, I'm counting on it. I'm not going to guarantee a win or anything because Buffalo's a solid team and we're on the road, but it'll be a very competitive game and will come down to who makes the plays late in the fourth quarter. Hopefully it's us.
Old 09-05-2005   #47
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
...It is called logical thinking. They aren't going to walk off the field, go into the locker room, and take off their STUPID FOOTBALL PLAYER suit and put on their NFL STARTER suit, like Spiderman.
Hey, it's always gr8 to discuss football with a lover of logic. Spidey's pretty cool. Never much into comic books myself, but I was a huge Star Trek fan. Spock was my favorite, because he was logical. Kirk was a hothead. He couldn't have captained the Galileo without Spock holding his hand. Some liked Scottie, maybe they thought he was tough. Spock could have taken him out in less than a second. Bones? Nobody likes that wimp.

What does Star Trek have to do with the Texans? Like Spiderman, nothing that I can tell. But, I did come across some info that defies logic.

Texans 2002 preseason record - (1-4 .200)
Texans 2003 preseason record - (0-4 .000)
Texans 2004 preseason record - (1-3 .250)
Texans 2005 preseason record - (1-3 .250)

Texans 2002 regular season record - (4-12 .250)
Texans 2003 regular season record - (5-11 .313)
Texans 2004 regular season record - (7-9 .438)
Texans 2004 regular season record - ???

The Texans have never really improved on their preseason record from their expansion season. Yet, their regular season record has improved every year. How can this be? But there's more! Every year, the Texans have a higher winning % in the regular season than in preseason. Stupefying...if you think about it logically. Maybe you're on to something with those Spiderman suits.
Old 09-05-2005   #48
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Losing in pre-season is not the point , not playing well is the point . Our last two pre-season games we stunk on Offense , except for Swinton and Thomas .
The Texans beat Miami then what happened .
Old 09-05-2005   #49
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I look at Carr and I like him as a Quarterback but I beleive he is not playing to his full potential.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #50
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

I agree with the 16 year old about Carr .
The thing that makes sports fun is being in the race at the end . Last years Stro's , the old Oilers , The Rockets , Phi Slamma Jamma and the Comets . Its time for the Texans to start heading in that direction . I do not thing Bob Mcnair will wait much longer either .
Old 09-05-2005   #51
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default curious

Capers said that Carr has not played very well lately, plain and simple.
Cowher talked about how important Ben is to the team.

That got me to thinking about how Coaches react at press conferences after
a defeat. Often, the head coach accepts fault, saying that he did not have
the team ready/prepared to play or something to that affect,some coaches
talk about the players. I think the more succesful coaches-Belichek, Parcells,
Reid, Dungy, Cowher, Fisher, etc. are more prone to accept more of the
blame themselves rather than putting it on a player(s) in public.

OK, and maybe I'm wrong here, but I can't remember Capers being the
type to take the blame nor am I saying he always blames his players-
does the 'buck' stop with Capers?
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #52
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
The Texans beat Miami then what happened .
The Texans finished 5-11, about par for a team in its 2nd season. They played the 2 Super Bowl teams (Panthers & Patriots) tough along the way.

Any other historical info you need, let me know.
Old 09-05-2005   #53
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck
Lightbulb

Quote:
Losing in pre-season is not the point , not playing well is the point.
i know we could 'semantic' this to death, but since half this board is all absorbed in absolutism at the moment, why wouldn't you think that losing = not playing well? i mean it is the the less desirable result, you don't practice how to lose games, but if everything is as black and white as "Carr SUCKS!/Ragone should start!/Carr is only good at deep balls and will fail in our "wimpy" short route oriented system...BLAH BLAH frickin' BLAH" then why would anyone assume ANY loss isn't attributed to shoddy effort/execution?

now, i don't mean to come at you Earl, but your quote has helped me muster into words what i've been wanting to start an entire thread on. it's not totally formulated yet (as you can see) but hopefully it will come to fruition before all the of CLS member's go all 'john kerry' on us and flip flop when the texans look good again...hopefully in week one....

...and yes, i GUARAN-DAMN-TEE that the texans will eventually look good (dare i say GREAT) at some point in time next season
Old 09-05-2005   #54
jmlockett
Rookie

I Agree The Texans Have What It Takes To Become A Great Team. The Only Way I Will Get Off Of Carrs Butt Is To See Him Play Like He Is Worth The Money We The Fans Are Ultimately Paying. I Say If Nothing Else Have Him Admit His Short Comings When He Screws Up. Let Him Be Confronted By The Fans In A Press Conference. He Has The Heart To Do Great Things. But Does He Have The Stomach?
jmlockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #55
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Jrock your missing the point . The first string comes in and goes two series looks good and puts on the ballcap for the night . That did not happen in the last two games . The first team I would imagine gets most of the snaps in practice so I expected more .
Once the first team is off the field its a battle for depth and roster spots so it does'nt matter to much after that .
The reference to Kerry can go both ways . So don't take any wooden nickles .
Old 09-05-2005   #56
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 138918 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink

First Off, I really HOPE that the Texans look better on Sunday than they did the last two weeks, or we're gonna get 'beaten like a rented mule' in Buffalo.

For those of the opinion that the First-string Offense either A) Didn't look THAT bad, or... B) We were simply "Hiding" things from our regular-season opponents, I've got just one question for you.

Please name a current starting NFL QB (other than the esteemed Mr. Carr) who posted two games (much less two CONSECUTIVE games) with a passer rating BELOW double-digits in pre-season? Bonus points if you can keep it within the last decade.

If you can provide one example, it would sure make me feel a whole lot better about where the Texans may be heading.
disaacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #57
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

Quote:
The reference to Kerry can go both ways . So don't take any wooden nickles .
i actually just meant the kerry reference as a casual pop-culture crap. it's hard for me to tell what you mean by your response (forgive my political ineptitude) but i wasn't trying to make a political tie in to anything in regards to our team. anywho, back to 'bidniss'....

Quote:
That did not happen in the last two games .
but if carr's performance was flip flopped and he seemed to have improved in the last two games then we would be forced to make the same conclusions from the four preseason games...they're preseason games. it's just hard for me to draw any correlation to predict how carr and co. will look on opening day from preseason, since there are such limited snaps haven't seen how the team handles mistakes and adversity (which are INEVITABLE). the only thing i can walk away from our first four (preseason-season) games are this: we know what it will look like when things go bad and when things look good. but to try and predict how much bad and good we'll see is beyond perception right now IMO.

Quote:
If you can provide one example, it would sure make me feel a whole lot better about where the Texans may be heading.
first time for everything (although i doubt it is, just to lazy to "make you feel a lot better". get some drive man! ). carr's already had ten times the career than most NFL QB's ever have...

Last edited by jr0ck; 09-05-2005 at 08:40 PM. Reason: spelling, even though google's toolbar does it for me...
jr0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #58
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

His destiny is to be the worst preseason QB ever to win OMVP.

Ok, I'll get off the homer crack.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #59
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

If I was a coach.. keys to preseason would be just to evaluate talent.. these penalties, miss tackles, miss assignments , miss the timing routes.. would drive me nuts.. To me the basic stuff should be automatic.
That's what I am worried about.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #60
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

Default David Carr

Give me a break, look at the kind of money they are paying Carr. Either he learns how to play in the NFL or he will be like Tim Couch. 5.5 Million a year please look at the Salary Cap info for the Texans, he's #1 so he should play like number one, or put Ragone up there with the first string line and offense and see who does better, this is Carr's last year they have the option of letting him go, he is the only QB in the NFL they talk more about his hair than his arm. I am a huge Texans fan till the day I die, but if Carr is not the one for this team then we need to move on and stop forcing the facts that he is the best thing that ever happend to the Texans, we need to move on, if he does not produce this year, 4 years in the leauge this is make or break year for Joey and Carr both top two pick of 02. So lets hope he pans out, if not stop crying, there are other QB's out there, look at Michael Vicks little brother, he enough to make defense's sick over. Bottom line is when you pay Carr this kind of money Mcnair wants to see what he is paying for, and also should we as ticket paying fans, so if Carr is not the one to lead us to a Super Bowl then we need to move on period. One good year at Fresno does not make him a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady he has to earn that.
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read