Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2005   #1
TexanPride#1
Rookie

Default Get off CARR'S butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys aren't fans. Bashing the starting QB. When he starts playing good you all will say I new he could do it. But for now old oiler sorry beep beep fans get a life. Treat the team and players with respect!

Last edited by TexanPride#1; 09-03-2005 at 11:37 AM.
TexanPride#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #2
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanPride#1
You guys aren't fans. Bashing the starting QB. When he starts playing good you all will say I new he could do it. But for now old oiler sorry beep beep fans get a life. Treat the team and players with respect!
I haven't read any of the posts for the last few days, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. I watched the game on replay yesterday, and from what I saw, Carr has regressed. He stared down his WR's(something he has been berated for each year), had 2 ints out of his 5 passes(if it wasn't for AJ coming back for the ball it would have been 3 ints),and overall, looked like he wasn't ready to play. I have confidence that he can correct these things and become the great QB that people believed he could be coming out of college.

As it stands now, Ragone LOOKS to be the best QB we have. He has been looking off defenders, not making stupid mistakes, and overall, been pretty efficient. I'm not saying he should be starting, because Carr is our guy, but IMHO, he has beat out Banks for the 2nd. I have confidence in him, and that's something I don't have for Banks. Just my opinion.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #3
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Most of this is all just typical preseason fan talk. Carr has looked very unimpressive the last 2 pre-season games, but i have confidence he'll improve this season just like he has the past 3 seasons. I think we're all just waiting for some real football to begin, don't worry though, 8 days left to see the real deal for us. Go Texans
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

The last three years I was not on his butt, because he was on it to much. The nature of a message board is alomst like a microcosm of a market. People are buying the O line and selling Carr right now.

It looks like people who were dumping on the line are now neutral, beacuse it has performed much better in the pre season. Whether it is because of shorter drops in the pocket, new schemes, personell I do not care I just glad it looks better.

That takes us to Carr, who has no excuse for the amount of money we pay if the O line continues this positive track. Plain and simple this is someones make or break year.

Maybe Carr needs to take attitude of Rowdy Roddy Piper's character from the movie They Live - "I came here to chew bubble gum and kick butt. And I am all out of bubble gum."
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #5
dredge
Rookie

Whether it is Carr's fault or just a result of a inefficient offense, the results aren't great. They were the 27th rated offense last year (going by memory) and whom did they add this year? Victor Riley. That should make it all better.

Carr will have trouble producing with this current roster. He will have some good weeks, but overall I cannot see him doing great things now. I hope they get him the tools to succeed, and then we can judge him more fairly.
dredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #6
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Here we go with I'm a real fan and your not.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #7
Crank_It_Up
Veteran

Quote:
hmm... do you have something against old oiler fans?
Old 09-03-2005   #8
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

'respect! '

...you don't GIVE respect, you earn it
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, the standard "I'm a real fan and you're not" post is classic.

It goes wayyyy back to the beginning of this board several years ago.

Anyway, I will get off his butt when his daddy reads all these posts and tells his son that the David Carr fan club is dwindling every week.

Nobody deserves anything but honesty. And honesty is the best policy. So, the truth here is that Carr has had more time to throw and it looks like he doesn't know how to stand within the pocket and check off and look off receivers.

Ragone is showing he knows how to do it. I smell a potential QB controversy brewing, and if Carr doesn't get it together--Oh, I'm sorry....if "we" don't get it together--then "we" might get a much-deserved benching.

But maybe "we" can do a lot better and turn the light switch on now that "we" are playing real games and not some imaginary fantasy games that the rest of the sports call preseason games.

GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #10
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

Carr was in the top half of the league's quarterbacks in only his third season while playing with a horrible offensive line, no secondary receivers and no pass-catching tight end. Yup, he's about to get a serious challenge from Dave Ragone, a third-round talent and a third-stringer who's looked decent in the preseason against third and fourth string scrubs. Carr's cowering in fear!!!!!

If Carr plays poorly, he should be bashed. That doesn't make them any less of a real fan. That said, bashing someone for a poor performance in the preseason... well, I don't even know what to say. That goes far and beyond being or not being a real fan. That's just idiocy.
DomDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #11
TopTexanFan16
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Yeah, the standard "I'm a real fan and you're not" post is classic.

It goes wayyyy back to the beginning of this board several years ago.

Anyway, I will get off his butt when his daddy reads all these posts and tells his son that the David Carr fan club is dwindling every week.

Nobody deserves anything but honesty. And honesty is the best policy. So, the truth here is that Carr has had more time to throw and it looks like he doesn't know how to stand within the pocket and check off and look off receivers.

Ragone is showing he knows how to do it. I smell a potential QB controversy brewing, and if Carr doesn't get it together--Oh, I'm sorry....if "we" don't get it together--then "we" might get a much-deserved benching.

But maybe "we" can do a lot better and turn the light switch on now that "we" are playing real games and not some imaginary fantasy games that the rest of the sports call preseason games.

man i respect ur opinion but i think you're really looking to indepth into the words carr used, he said we as in everyone needs to improve including himself. and seriously i think what he meant by its not a real game meaning it doesnt count in the actual season, not as if he didnt care.
Old 09-03-2005   #12
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr is the "face of the franchise" and the highest paid player on the team. If he does not perform he will be criticized and deservedly so. All of his excuses have been used up in the first 3 years, now it's time to produce.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Do you throw the "we" around when you could have done a better job yourself? That's kind of a shield against personal responsibility, if you ask me. Not trying to attack you, just using it as an example. If you messed up at work, and told your boss that "...we just have to do a better job," what do you think he would say back to you?

Facts are facts. He said "we" and didn;t even attempt to show a little pride lost in himself and put his name up front as the team leader. It might rub off on the other slackers if Carr would take one for the team...especially since he has been the main culprit. Heck, he is the franchise QB for goodness sakes. It's not like he's Ragone who held a clipboard for so long. I didn't think ragone would make it this far, but he's been a gamer and has withstood the cat calls and has worked his rear off...and it shows.

No hurt in saying that our 3rd stringer should either be no. 2 or no. 3. Some guy named Tom Brady was a 2nd or 3rd stringer until the human statue got knocked out of a game. The rest is history.

Carr might have meant to put his name in there, too. But then again, we'll never know. Would have been a little easier on everyone if he had just swallowed his pride and continued to be the big man that we think he is. But after his performance, and the way he's throwing the "we" around (as it seems to me, at least) I can't but help to put a microscope on it and say, "What? Ragone, Swinton, and Sloan Thomas have kept us from getting skunked all preseason...and you can't sacrifice a little pride and just own up to your poor play?"

And what's wrong about all this is that Ragone will still be #3 and Swinton and Sloan Thomas might get cut. Yeah, I'm over reacting.

Too much poltics and not enough harsh reality if you ask me.
Old 09-03-2005   #14
TopTexanFan16
Veteran

Quote:
Do you throw the "we" around when you could have done a better job yourself? That's kind of a shield against personal responsibility, if you ask me. Not trying to attack you, just using it as an example. If you messed up at work, and told your boss that "...we just have to do a better job," what do you think he would say back to you?

Facts are facts. He said "we" and didn;t even attempt to show a little pride lost in himself and put his name up front as the team leader. It might rub off on the other slackers if Carr would take one for the team...especially since he has been the main culprit. Heck, he is the franchise QB for goodness sakes. It's not like he's Ragone who held a clipboard for so long. I didn't think ragone would make it this far, but he's been a gamer and has withstood the cat calls and has worked his rear off...and it shows.

No hurt in saying that our 3rd stringer should either be no. 2 or no. 3. Some guy named Tom Brady was a 2nd or 3rd stringer until the human statue got knocked out of a game. The rest is history.

Carr might have meant to put his name in there, too. But then again, we'll never know. Would have been a little easier on everyone if he had just swallowed his pride and continued to be the big man that we think he is. But after his performance, and the way he's throwing the "we" around (as it seems to me, at least) I can't but help to put a microscope on it and say, "What? Ragone, Swinton, and Sloan Thomas have kept us from getting skunked all preseason...and you can't sacrifice a little pride and just own up to your poor play?"

And what's wrong about all this is that Ragone will still be #3 and Swinton and Sloan Thomas might get cut. Yeah, I'm over reacting.

listen bud i really think your goin to indepth into this. i can remember countless games were after the game he has appologized ot the fans for doin a poor job, hell i remember when his own wife and children had food and beer thrown at them or somehtin of that sort and he still apologized saying he coulda done better and needs to work harder. so i think ONE time "we" as in the whole team needs to work better doesnt make him a slacker or mean he doesnt care. i feel the whole 1st team defense and offense has played very poorly this preseason but ur not crying out about anyone else playing poorly. huh? andre dropped some balls, damn him hes slacking. dunta made bad plays and missed tackles, he must think its everyone elses fault, shoot lets just release him and put sanders as the starting CB, come on man be at least a bit realistic.
Old 09-03-2005   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

The preseason games I have watched, which were the first three, I saw more time for Carr than I have EVER seen. You've just not paid attention to it because you're buying into the "Bash the o line all day long" daitribe that has floated around this board for three-plus years.

I saw HUGE pockets for Carr to stand in, and I saw Carr hopping around like he didn't know what to do.

As far as the beer throwing. That's just plain wrong, and I wouldn't act that way nor do I think that's the way to act.

But Carr is getting so much defense right now, and he's right there (in my opinion) in the middle of the problems. Maybe it changes next week, but right now...it just looks bad. And he'll turn the switch like he has been...and everybody will be saying "I told you so" as if that's a real comfort. We've had three years and one preseason of that stuff, and it's beginning to wear thin.
Old 09-03-2005   #16
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:

when you give up almost 40 points the correct words for the QB to use is "WE need improvement."
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #17
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52757 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Right now, Carr deserves every bit of bashing he is getting. His performance Thursday night was on par with your average HS freshman playing his first game, while having the UT defense staring at you from the other side of the ball. Hello, his QB rating was ZERO. ZERO people. He deserved to go into negative numbers, but that stat doesn't call for it, although I heard they are thinking of changing that after watching the game Thursday. He STUNK! This is his fourth year, not his first. The time for excuses is past. If he doesn't pick it up in a HUGE way the first two games, I say bench his over paid arse, and put Ragone in. I never thought I would say that, but I am tired of the excuses. I really have no words strong enough to portray what I thought of his performance on Thursday. Terrible? Nah, not strong enough. Stunk? nah. Pathetic? Getting warmer. Losersville? Horid? Nope, can't come up with it yet. Someone help me here!
Old 09-03-2005   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky
Right now, Carr deserves every bit of bashing he is getting.
OK. Sure, why not. But if Carr plays well in Buffalo, what he did in Tampa means squat. By the same token, if Carr had thrown 5 TDs against the Bucs & stinks it up at Ralph Wilson Stadium, he gets bashed. So tell me, does preseason really amount to anything?

Ralph Wilson Stadium? Who names a stadium after themselves? Bud Adams wouldn't even do that (or maybe he will?).
Old 09-03-2005   #19
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Get real, just because I do not look at this team through battle red glasses, do not say I am no fan...Franchise label is now gone, O line has improved since last season, cannot use the O line as an excuse for Carr anymore...
Old 09-03-2005   #20
TexanPride#1
Rookie

Dom Davis I like you! You know what your talking about! Dave Ragone is so great he's doing things against 3rd and 4th defense's get a life people he's not that great. Carr's the best we have! Watch and see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by TexanPride#1; 09-03-2005 at 10:46 PM.
TexanPride#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read