Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2005   #1
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Does the preseason matter?

Many have stated on this board that the preseason doesn't matter. That it is a time to learn and practice. The point has even been raised that the Patriots went 0-4 on their way to winning a Super Bowl.

So I raise the question, does the preseason matter? I'm not asking in terms of wins and losses, but overall progression of the team, and indications of how the team will do.

Here is my opinion:

The preseason does mean something, it shows progress of our starters in a new offensive scheme, it shows how our revamped defense is coming along, it shows the depth that we have beyond our starters, and it shows a will and drive to win!

So far I have not seen much that indicates we are a different team then when the Browns defeated us last year.

I'd like to see our team play with a sense of urgency to win...preseason or not, it fires up the team...

Pretty soon this team is going to get used to losing, it seems some of the fans already have.

Last edited by Texans Pride; 09-03-2005 at 01:40 PM.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #2
TexanPride#1
Rookie

Have faith :brickwall
TexanPride#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #3
BillyBluenose
Rookie

Default nope.

the preseason does not matter. at least not in win-loss terms.

it is a chance for coaches to evaluate their inventory and decide who to keep and what to do with them.

bring on the bills!

-billy
BillyBluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #4
TigerBait
Veteran

teams like the Colts (0-5) and the Chiefs (0-4) went without a in the preaseason, while teams like the Browns Cowboys and Bears had 3 or more wins. Preseason does not matter that much.
TigerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #5
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

completely and utterly meaningless for starters.

It does mean something - for the backups and third-stringers trying to earn a roster spot. But for the first team offenses and defenses? Meaningless. No one wants to let their schemes out of the bag. No one wants to take the big hits over the middle. Quarterbacks are more willing to take chances for the big play because the result is irrelevant. The goal for starters is to make it through without getting hurt. That's it.
DomDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #6
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

So Carr having a 5.7 and a 0.0 passer rating against the Cowboys and the Buccaneers respectively doesnít matter?

AJ dropping key passes (one in the end zone for a touchdown) doesnít matter?

Only converting 19 of 56 third down attempts doesnít matter?

Ranking 30th in total defense and offense doesnít matter?

I'm not trying to come off rude, and I hope I'm not, I am just bringing these points up.
Old 09-03-2005   #7
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I would equate preseason games to rehearsals before a Broadway play or a soundcheck before a concert.

It's a chance to see what you've got, how much you know, what needs to be fixed and learn what you need to do to put a good product out there. Because let's face it the Texans and every other NFL team are a product.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2005   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

It doesn't matter at all. Most of us look like expansion fans here posting on this board (kinda embarrassing). The Colts went 0-5 this preseason and I don't see their fan base jumping out windows like ours....but they aren't full of new NFL fans.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #9
gr8slayer

Ive never understood people who start crying "the sky is falling" when you dont win every preseason game. The preseason matters in the second half when your backups are trying to make the team but other than that, to hell with it.
Old 09-03-2005   #10
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Most of us look like expansion fans here posting on this board (kinda embarrassing).
And some of us are pompous and arrogant

Vinny, if you are so embarrassed by your fellow board members, you can always leave. The Texans world will spin without you; I'm sure they can find someone else to be the local sheriff of the board.

Last edited by Texans Pride; 09-03-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-03-2005   #11
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
It doesn't matter at all. Most of us look like expansion fans here posting on this board (kinda embarrassing). The Colts went 0-5 this preseason and I don't see their fan base jumping out windows like ours....but they aren't full of new NFL fans.
Whats going to be embarrassing is if our poor play continues into the
season---too, I think the Colt situation is a little different than ours
because they have a championship history of winning that their fans
expect to continue. Finally, I sure hope the Texans can get down their
passing timing in the next couple of practices since it didn't get done in
the preseason. For me, winning in preseason is not important but-when
you make major changes in your offense or defense- I think it's crucial to
iron out any potential problems before the games count..
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
For me, winning in preseason is not important but-when
you make major changes in your offense or defense- I think it's crucial to
iron out any potential problems before the games count..
Thats why you go vanilla and man-up to teams without deception. It's the best way too see what you have in your players as the games do not count.

Old 09-03-2005   #13
jmlockett
Rookie

Default Winning Isn't Everything

Winning Isn't Everything. I Would Be Happy To See A Losing Preseason If The Team Looked Like They Knew What In The World They Were Doing. This Preseason All I Saw Was A Coach That Showed Hardly Any Emotion. A Frustrated Franchise Qb. Play Calling That Could Of Been Done Better By A Liitle League Coach. And A Team With The Enthusiasm Of A Death Row Inmates Waiting In Line For Their Shot. I Think That We Need To Shake The Team Up And Start From The Top Down.
jmlockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The preseason does matter

It matters for positional battles. It matters for installation of new schemes. It matters to measure how a rookie picks up the playbook in real time. It matters when you have a player recovering from an injury.

The results on the scoreboard do not matter.

I was pleased by the O line, with Davis and Morency, CC Brown, Mathis and Greenwood.

If our QB can make things happen this year I will up by 8-8 projection, but I am not holding my breath.
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #15
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride
Vinny, if you are so embarrassed by your fellow board members, you can always leave. The Texans world will spin without you; I'm sure they can find someone else to be the local sheriff of the board.
It wouldn't be quite as easy as you think to replace Vinny. He does alot around here to keep this place running so the fans can have a place to voice their opinions on the team. He devotes a great deal of time to the board, and I don't think you fully realize how hard he would be to replace. Thankfully he's devoted to the Texans and this board despite the flack he gets from some.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #16
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

Quote:
So Carr having a 5.7 and a 0.0 passer rating against the Cowboys and the Buccaneers respectively doesnít matter?

AJ dropping key passes (one in the end zone for a touchdown) doesnít matter?

Only converting 19 of 56 third down attempts doesnít matter?

Ranking 30th in total defense and offense doesnít matter?

I'm not trying to come off rude, and I hope I'm not, I am just bringing these points up.
not one bit.
Old 09-03-2005   #17
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
It wouldn't be quite as easy as you think to replace Vinny. He does alot around here to keep this place running so the fans can have a place to voice their opinions on the team. He devotes a great deal of time to the board, and I don't think you fully realize how hard he would be to replace. Thankfully he's devoted to the Texans and this board despite the flack he gets from some.

I don't want this thread to turn a different direction, but I fully understand how hard Vinny works, and how much effort he puts into this board. I have praised him and thanked him on numerous occasions for his hard work.

However I do grow tired of his belittling and arrogant comments he makes when someone says something he doesn't like. . . Chicken little this, and chicken little that; itís uncalled for.

He can just as easily make is opinion known that he doesn't think the preseason matters without all of the "embarrassing fans and expansion fans" comments.
Old 09-03-2005   #18
DomDavis
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlockett
Winning Isn't Everything. This Preseason All I Saw Was A Coach That Showed Hardly Any Emotion.
How much emotion do you expect when winning and losing doesn't matter (like you said)?

Quote:
A Frustrated Franchise Qb.
You said you wanted emotion/enthusiasm, but now you're insulting Carr for showing that emotion? Huh?

Quote:
Play Calling That Could Of Been Done Better By A Liitle League Coach.
So we should show all our schemes and plays in the preseason so Buffalo's defensive coordinator can be prepared on Sept. 11?

Quote:
And A Team With The Enthusiasm Of A Death Row Inmates Waiting In Line For Their Shot.
If it's ok to lose the games (which you said), how much enthusiasm do you really expect?

Quote:
I Think That We Need To Shake The Team Up And Start From The Top Down.
I think you need to get some common sense and realize that these are meaningless preseason football games.
Old 09-03-2005   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
I don't want this thread to turn a different direction, but I fully understand how hard Vinny works, and how much effort he puts into this board. I have praised him and thanked him on numerous occasions for his hard work.

However I do grow tired of his belittling and arrogant comments he makes when someone says something he doesn't like. . . Chicken little this, and chicken little that; itís uncalled for.

He can just as easily make is opinion known that he doesn't think the preseason matters without all of the "embarrassing fans and expansion fans" comments.
I really don't care if you don't like my opinion to be honest...it's just my opinion.

I think some of the banter here is embarrassing to be associated with as a fan base. That's my honest opinion. I just say what I think.....That's much more honest than just telling you guys what I think you want to hear. If you don't like it....well tough luck because I may not like your posts as well. I read them in any case. This is an opinion oriented message board.

Old 09-03-2005   #20
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care what team went went winless in preseason. Forget wins and losses. What fans are worried about is the total lack of heart, poor execution, and inability to score shown by our Texans offense. That does matter. You can't blow it off as just preseason.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read