Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2005   #41
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Link to the official list of cuts:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ne...php?PRKey=1913

I'm disappointed, but not surprised.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #42
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Looks like John Boy knew what he was talking about by the roster and depth chart. Surprised @ 11 OLman (unless I can't count) as the thing not seen mentioned.
I would have liked to seen Weary let go, but I guess Texans still like him enough to give him a spot. Not sure why we're keeping 3 centers unless they think Washington can serve as a backup at the G spots as well.

I like that Ramon Walker made the roster if only for his special teams play.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #43
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I figured Hollings would make it because he is in most of the special teams packages. He has an NFL body and has great speed. He may not be a great feature back at this point in his career but he has value to the roster as the teams 3rd halfback. He will have plenty of special teams snaps to cover his roster spot.
i havent really seen him that much, even on special teams this preseason. that is why i made that statement.

i still would have released him if it meant we would not loose swinton or thomas.
Old 09-03-2005   #44
TMac48
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TMac48
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
I wonder if this is just speculation by McClain or if he's actually got the inside information. Hollings, Sanders, Bradford and Banks should have all been cut.
For those of you who want to keep complaining about Banks and saying he should be cut and Ragone should be 2nd string, just shut up. Honestly, Banks has been a solid back-up for us the entire time he's been here. Oh, let me guess, you're probably the same guy that thinks Symons should get more playing time because he was good a Tech right? No, he wasn't a product of the system at or anything...whatever. It is pure ignorance to think that we could afford to lose a veteran QB like Banks as our back-up. Just because Ragone goes to NFL EUROPE...NFL EUROPE, and does a great job doesn't mean he's ready to step in here and play with the big boys. Having a veteran to put in the game when Carr gets hurt (and he will with our o-line) is priceless. That said, GO TEXANS!
Old 09-03-2005   #45
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I figured Hollings would make it because he is in most of the special teams packages. He has an NFL body and has great speed. He may not be a great feature back at this point in his career but he has value to the roster as the teams 3rd halfback. He will have plenty of special teams snaps to cover his roster spot.
Hollings was kept for political reasons, plain and simple. If he was cut it would have made the front office look bad.

Actually, Wells and Morency will get carries before Hollings, so he's really the 4th string RB... and valueless.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #46
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Perhaps you have a better feel for their motivations than I, but I posted before the cuts that I thought he would survive the turk because of his role on special teams.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #47
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

The most shocking move was the fact that they let go of Preston Parsons.

Lucky didn't you have a bet with Jakebrake about him making the roster?
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2005   #48
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac48
For those of you who want to keep complaining about Banks and saying he should be cut and Ragone should be 2nd string, just shut up. Honestly, Banks has been a solid back-up for us the entire time he's been here. Oh, let me guess, you're probably the same guy that thinks Symons should get more playing time because he was good a Tech right? No, he wasn't a product of the system at or anything...whatever. It is pure ignorance to think that we could afford to lose a veteran QB like Banks as our back-up. Just because Ragone goes to NFL EUROPE...NFL EUROPE, and does a great job doesn't mean he's ready to step in here and play with the big boys. Having a veteran to put in the game when Carr gets hurt (and he will with our o-line) is priceless. That said, GO TEXANS!
and this year IS this year. i would not decide a players fate/roster spot just because he played well 2 years ago and played horrible this preseason when we do have a suitable backup in ragone. move banks to 3rd at least, or find someone else to man the 3rd spot.
Old 09-03-2005   #49
Dime
Hall of Fame

I am quite peaved right now.. Hollings, an unproductive player stays and a person like sloan gets released... That is stupid!! He was working like a playmaker... We better go to the freakin playoffs this year... thats all I have to say!!!
Old 09-03-2005   #50
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac48
Actually, there are several reasons for Banks to get cut.
1) He gets paid almost $1 million per season.
2) He's a 3rd string QB. On most teams the 3rd string guy is young and paid the league minimum.
3) He's terrible and would be cut from just about any AFL team.

Ragone is no great shakes, but he has outperformed every other QB on the roster.
Old 09-03-2005   #51
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

i think some of the guys we have backing up our starters on the oline are questionable. we all know how the browns game went.

i think we have enough depth at SS where they could have let walker go. i love the idea of him being a standout on special teams, but im sure they could have let a younger guy step in there to save a spot.

maybe its just me, but there were just a couple of guys i would have tried to keep if it meant shuffling people around or what not.

vinny, i know you felt he would stay, and you were right, but do you feel that he is going to contribute alot to special teams and the offense?
Old 09-03-2005   #52
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's official as of the main page......

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ne...php?PRKey=1913
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #53
TopTexanFan16
Veteran

its official on teh website the texans realeased sloan thomas and reggie swinton, this comes to a surprise cause both of them have essentially been great for us and reggie i thought was doin a hell of a job at returning kickoffs and sloan was makin play after play. we shoulda at least have carried a 6th WR on the chart.
Old 09-03-2005   #54
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTexanFan16
we shoulda at least have carried a 6th WR on the chart.
Hollings was a 2nd round pick. There was no room.
Old 09-03-2005   #55
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I am just speechless right now, which is probably a good thing.

OK. I can talk now.

(SIGH)

(ANOTHER SIGH)

What in the wide wide world of sports is going on? Who suggested that Swinton and Thomas get cut, and more importantly who approved the cuts?

:brickwall :brickwall

See ya'll next year. This is just the icing on top of the c r a p cake for me. Nothing but pure politics. Period.

Did Trump start a TV reality show at Texans camp this year?
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #56
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdude730
vinny, i know you felt he would stay, and you were right, but do you feel that he is going to contribute alot to special teams and the offense?
Most 3rd backs around the league play mainly special teams. Guys like Kerry Carter, Arlen Harris, & Eric Bickerstaff hang on year to year but never get much PT when it comes to the standard offense, but they all have a role on special teams and as an emergency back.

Old 09-03-2005   #57
TMac48
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
Ragone is no great shakes, but he has outperformed every other QB on the roster.
But who has he been playing against?? The answer to that is NFLE players, 3rd and 4th stringers. Banks has proven himself in regular-season games against actual NFL starters. His 3 starts in 2003 included wins over NFC champion Carolina, Atlanta, as well an overtime loss to Super Bowl champion New England.
Old 09-03-2005   #58
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Vinny:

Do you think it was a good call to cut Swinton and Sloan?

I can see Swinton getting cut (due to Mathis and Buchanon) but how does a guy like Sloan, who made some pretty clutch catches in pressure situations, get thrown under the bus?

Just wanted your take on it. And I know you might not be willing to tell us, so that's OK. Just curious.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #59
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Vinny:

Do you think it was a good call to cut Swinton and Sloan?

I can see Swinton getting cut (due to Mathis and Buchanon) but how does a guy like Sloan, who made some pretty clutch catches in pressure situations, get thrown under the bus?

Just wanted your take on it. And I know you might not be willing to tell us, so that's OK. Just curious.
I think Sloan is much like Armstrong and Gaffney, and perhaps he slips to the PC...donno, but I like Gaff and Armstrong better than him as a possession guy at this point in each of their respective careers. I figured either Swinton or him would make the team but I wasn't expecting both to be cut. Mathis probably factored in the cutting of Swinton though. I think Pbuc will be the primary return man and Mathis showed enough to make him the PR2 guy, and I think Hollings will be in the mix on kick-off returns sometime this year.

Old 09-03-2005   #60
TMac48
Veteran

I don't understand how they can cut Swinton. We realeased Moses because we wanted a guy that could take it to the house and play reciever. So what does Swinton do? He takes one to the house and he catches a touchdown pass. WTF are they thinking? I've tried to be positive through all of the moves this offseason, but this one just makes me scratch my head a bit...
TMac48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read