Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Roster Cut Down | Chronicle

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Swinton, who played at Dallas and Detroit before coming to Houston, also led the team in kickoff returns (30.9-yard average) and punt returns (12.3).

As a second-year receiver, Thomas is a candidate for the practice squad again.

The Texans also waived receiver Donovan Morgan, quarterbacks B.J. Symons and Preston Parsons, running back Adam Matthews, guards Chad Beasley and Brandon Evans, offensive tackle Tim Brown, tight end Aaron Halterman, defensive linemen Jason Davis and Alfred Malone, cornerbacks Chris McKenzie, Jerron Wishom and Jon Pendergrass, safety Jammal Lord, kicker Chris Snyder, punter Cody Scates and linebackers Kenneth Pettway, Frank Chamberlain, Zeke Moreno and Anthony Dunn.

Once the 53-man roster is established, the Texans can sign players to the eight-man practice squad. The Texans also will be looking at candidates for the regular roster and practice squad who have been waived by other teams.

For example, former New England quarterback Rohan Davey, who played at LSU, is getting a tryout today, even though the Texans don't need another player at his position.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3337862

im not going to completely disagree with capers, but i do believe it would have been possible to carry a 6th WR on the roster. we will have to see how this pans out to see what other personel they are going to carry.

and so much for my predicted 53 man roster! just CRUMBLE my dreams CAPERS!!!

El Tejano said:
So was Swinton cut? What happened to Sloan?
the texans have yet to make a decision on the wide receivers.

the chron is expecting swinton and thomas to be cut. we just have to hope thomas clears waivers so we can sign him to the practice squad. swinton will likely be picked up quickly but another team. i really wish they would keep 6 receivers.

Id really like to know what coaches daughter Corey Bradford is dating.

Im sorry but WHAT has this guy done? He has been on our team since 2002 and not ONCE has he been an integral part of our offense. If we need SPEED.. then throw Mathis out there and tell him to go deep.

ugh.. Thomas should have made the team. Maybe the coaches just feel that having what is essentially two rookies at WR..is just too risky. But dang it..

I dunno.. maybe its just because Sloan Thomas = Derrick Armstrong = Jabar Gaffney. Maybe you can only use so many "quick" receivers with good hands.

the texans have yet to make a decision on the wide receivers.

that article is saying that Thomas and Swinton are expected to be cut. Meaning.. it hasnt happened yet.. but they have inside info that says it is going to happen.

Wow, I thought Swinton would be a lock. But i guess if mathis and Buchannon are doing well, that makes him expendable.

3960AD said:
Can BJ make practice squad?????? I thought he did better than Banks....

him and thomas are both going to get signed to the practice squad. (if your taking about bj symons)

...unless sloan gets picked up by another team though. at least i think thats how it works, they must clear waivers after getting released before getting signed to the PS.

ccdude730 said:
him and thomas are both going to get signed to the practice squad. (if your taking about bj symons)

...unless sloan gets picked up by another team though. at least i think thats how it works, they must clear waivers after getting released before getting signed to the PS.

thanks. so with the practice squad, how does it work in regards to the other team (53 squad). are they just like 3-4 stringers??? waiting their turn to be brought up if needed?

Practice squad players are inactive (can't play) for all games, unless they get added to the active roster prior to the game. Any team can pick up a practice squad player (from their own or any other team's roster) so long as they are willing to keep them on their active gameday roster.

Grid said:
that article is saying that Thomas and Swinton are expected to be cut. Meaning.. it hasnt happened yet.. but they have inside info that says it is going to happen.

That article is written weirdly. At the top, it does not sound definitive, but later McClain states that the Texans waived the players. Confusing writing from a career journalist.

I will wait until the Texans post it on thier site.

Grid said:

Im sorry but WHAT has this guy done? He has been on our team since 2002 and not ONCE has he been an integral part of our offense. If we need SPEED.. then throw Mathis out there and tell him to go deep.

ugh.. Thomas should have made the team. Maybe the coaches just feel that having what is essentially two rookies at WR..is just too risky. But dang it..

I dunno.. maybe its just because Sloan Thomas = Derrick Armstrong = Jabar Gaffney. Maybe you can only use so many "quick" receivers with good hands.
Bradford is a mean SOB, he will put a great block and catch a 90 yard bomb. You know we love that down here in the Lone Star State. Now only if he could get open for the first 10 yards!!

ArlingtonTexan said:
That article is written weirdly. At the top, it does not sound definitive, but later McClain states that the Texans waived the players. Confusing writing from a career journalist.
I will wait until the Texans post it on thier site.
I agree to being confused myself. Don't know for sure what is speculation and
what is official. I think you're right Arlington, waiting for the Texans site to
post a statement is the best way to go in this situation.

IF sloan does not make it.. it would be the dumbest move since drafting steve. He has shown he is a true NFL reciever. He will not make it to our practice squad. He will be picked up.

Grid said:

Hollings must be dating the other daughter. :confused:

dunta23 said:
so Chris McKenzie got released, that sucks I was hoping he would make it :crying:

Yeah it does. He got hurt...after game 1. Was still in a tight spot against Bell. Good thing is that he'll be on practice squad. Shows that the coaches are willing to see him heal and potentially make the active squad if needed.

Get rid of bradford. Keep gaff mathis sloan swinton armstrong and of course AJ. Keep 2 TE bruener and murphy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ok:

I can't believe that Thomas and Swinton didn't make the team with all that they showed in their abilities to be play makers and what in the **** were Capers and others thinking to keep Bradford. That guy is horrible at running routes and even catching the ball. What's really going on here? I Love the Texans but I don't honestly believe that Thomas and Swinton deserved to be cut in my opinion. Someone should be fired for a lack of evaluating good talent when it's right in front of their eyes. :bomb: :texans:

TexanPride#1 said:
Get rid of Bradford and Murphy. Keep Gaff, Mathis, Sloan, Swinton, Armstrong and of course AJ. Keep 2 TE Bruener and M. Rivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ok:

I dont know why the Texans need cut Sloan Thomas and Reggie Swinton....That soooo stupied cuts

That True....Texans should do because they need cut Corey Bradford and Matt Murphy cause Bradford on preseason...he cant catch the ball and Matt Murphy not good on preseason and both of them dont improve on preseason.......Sloan Thomas and Reggie Swinton.....they make improve that they should make on teams rosters......Sloan Thomas and Reggie Swinton has a good preseason and they got speeding..........

I think this is wrong... Bradford should be CUT... He hasn't proved us anything while Swinton has been EXCELLENT in special teams and proved himself as a receiver along with Sloan. I am really disappointed here.
Besides the fact is that Swinton and Sloan are BOTH younger than Bradford it would have given us a younger corps.

Well Hope they know what they are doing!

:texflag: :rolleyes:

==========================================================
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3337862

Loaded at WR, Texans forced to cut two at deadline
By JOHN MCCLAIN
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

When the Texans identify the 22 players they have placed on waivers today, it should be obvious that the toughest cuts came at wide receiver.

Reggie Swinton and Sloan Thomas — who led the Texans in scoring and receiving in preseason, respectively — are expected to be cut as the roster is reduced to 53 names.

I sure hope this isn't the true list. But, if it is, I too, agree that Bradford should be cut. Thomas definitely showed that he can play in this league. He's younger, has speed, size, good hands, & he's cheaper than Bradford. Keeping Thomas over Bradford would save us about $660,000 this year. Look for Dallas to snatch up Thomas.

I'd been thinking that Swinton might not make the roster, even with that great return he made. With PB & Mathis able to fill the role & being better/potentially better at their regular positions, it just makes sense.

I'm hoping & praying that McKenzie makes it to our Taxi Squad. Prior to his injury, he was making plays & looking like the steal of this year's college crop. Imo, if McKenzie hadn't gotten injured, he would've beaten out Bell. Bell might be a good special teams player, but he's a liability on coverage. I pray for the day when we can release him.

Chamberlin is also another player that I'm surprised to see on this list. He was making plays all over the field & I felt he was better than Polk. But, that's just my opinion.

The one player that I feel needs to be cut (other than Bradford), is Banks. I feel that Ragone more than showed he's ready to step up to the next level. With Rohan Davey coming in for a tryout, he'd give us a nice nucleous of young talent at the QB position & we'd be able to save about $850,000, less what it would take to sign Davey.

One last thought. I'm also surprised to see Jason Davis (DL) on this list. I've heard CC rave about how much progress Davis has made this year on several occasions & just assumed that he would make the roster. Maybe, CC was building him up & trying to shop him around for a draft pick.

I wonder if this is just speculation by McClain or if he's actually got the inside information. Hollings, Sanders, Bradford and Banks should have all been cut.

To cut the only 2 players to show anything the entire preseason makes no sense.

i havent heard anything yet but the texans still have them on their roster on the website i like everybody hope this isnt true cuz i will be reaaaaaally dissapointed in the coaching staff when they should have released bradford and hollings

The offical depth chart no longer shows Thomas or Swinton, but is still show Rivers. It is also shows just 53 players. I wanna know what the staff sees in Hollings and Bradford.

Hoth-Boy said:
The offical depth chart no longer shows Thomas or Swinton, but is still show Rivers. It is also shows just 53 players. I wanna know what the staff sees in Hollings and Bradford.

rivers and bradford werent going to get cut. i think for me that was pretty much a given even though everyone on the boards thinks bradford needs to go.

hollings on the other hand has no value to us at all

Hoth-Boy said:

Good catch Hoth, I guess it's official.

This organization never ceases to amaze me.

I figured Hollings would make it because he is in most of the special teams packages. He has an NFL body and has great speed. He may not be a great feature back at this point in his career but he has value to the roster as the teams 3rd halfback. He will have plenty of special teams snaps to cover his roster spot.

Looks like John Boy knew what he was talking about by the roster and depth chart. Surprised @ 11 OLman (unless I can't count) as the thing not seen mentioned.

Well I can honestly say, this is the first time I'm real disappointed in the Texans GM and Coaching Staff. To me it looks like they want to stay right where they are at. Let us just keep the same old players who haven't done anything for us before. And it isn't just at WR, try the D-line also. Bradford has been on the Team for 3 years and in the league a few before that. And he isn't getting any better, at least with Thomas (I know an unproven risk) but I think he is already as good as Braford, and he has the chance to improve with more playing time (we will see this on the team that signs him).

D-line (I know we drafted TJ) still has the same stiffs of Ioane and Deloach who haven't given us a pass rush in the years they have been here, so lets keep them. Boy that makes since to me. J. Davis and A. Malone were both very active on the line during the preseason, let them get a chance, can't be any worse than the back-ups we have.

And Hollings (they other teams best player), who should be the new Fumbleman for the Justice League on the ExtemeSkins.com cartoons. Like someone else posted either he is dating someone's daugther or the Texans officals don't want to admit they made a mistake by using a second round pick on him.

ArlingtonTexan said:
Looks like John Boy knew what he was talking about by the roster and depth chart. Surprised @ 11 OLman (unless I can't count) as the thing not seen mentioned.

I would have liked to seen Weary let go, but I guess Texans still like him enough to give him a spot. Not sure why we're keeping 3 centers unless they think Washington can serve as a backup at the G spots as well.

I like that Ramon Walker made the roster if only for his special teams play.

Vinny said:
I figured Hollings would make it because he is in most of the special teams packages. He has an NFL body and has great speed. He may not be a great feature back at this point in his career but he has value to the roster as the teams 3rd halfback. He will have plenty of special teams snaps to cover his roster spot.

i havent really seen him that much, even on special teams this preseason. that is why i made that statement.

i still would have released him if it meant we would not loose swinton or thomas.

the wonger need food said:
I wonder if this is just speculation by McClain or if he's actually got the inside information. Hollings, Sanders, Bradford and Banks should have all been cut.
For those of you who want to keep complaining about Banks and saying he should be cut and Ragone should be 2nd string, just shut up. Honestly, Banks has been a solid back-up for us the entire time he's been here. Oh, let me guess, you're probably the same guy that thinks Symons should get more playing time because he was good a Tech right? No, he wasn't a product of the system at or anything...whatever. It is pure ignorance to think that we could afford to lose a veteran QB like Banks as our back-up. Just because Ragone goes to NFL EUROPE...NFL EUROPE, and does a great job doesn't mean he's ready to step in here and play with the big boys. Having a veteran to put in the game when Carr gets hurt (and he will with our o-line) is priceless. That said, GO TEXANS!
:texflag:

Vinny said:

Hollings was kept for political reasons, plain and simple. If he was cut it would have made the front office look bad.

Actually, Wells and Morency will get carries before Hollings, so he's really the 4th string RB... and valueless.

Perhaps you have a better feel for their motivations than I, but I posted before the cuts that I thought he would survive the turk because of his role on special teams.

The most shocking move was the fact that they let go of Preston Parsons. :rolleyes: :texflag:

Lucky didn't you have a bet with Jakebrake about him making the roster?

TMac48 said:
For those of you who want to keep complaining about Banks and saying he should be cut and Ragone should be 2nd string, just shut up. Honestly, Banks has been a solid back-up for us the entire time he's been here. Oh, let me guess, you're probably the same guy that thinks Symons should get more playing time because he was good a Tech right? No, he wasn't a product of the system at or anything...whatever. It is pure ignorance to think that we could afford to lose a veteran QB like Banks as our back-up. Just because Ragone goes to NFL EUROPE...NFL EUROPE, and does a great job doesn't mean he's ready to step in here and play with the big boys. Having a veteran to put in the game when Carr gets hurt (and he will with our o-line) is priceless. That said, GO TEXANS!
and this year IS this year. i would not decide a players fate/roster spot just because he played well 2 years ago and played horrible this preseason when we do have a suitable backup in ragone. move banks to 3rd at least, or find someone else to man the 3rd spot.

I am quite peaved right now.. Hollings, an unproductive player stays and a person like sloan gets released... That is stupid!! He was working like a playmaker... We better go to the freakin playoffs this year... thats all I have to say!!!

TMac48 said:

Actually, there are several reasons for Banks to get cut.
1) He gets paid almost $1 million per season.
2) He's a 3rd string QB. On most teams the 3rd string guy is young and paid the league minimum.
3) He's terrible and would be cut from just about any AFL team.

Ragone is no great shakes, but he has outperformed every other QB on the roster.

Back