Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-02-2005   #41
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy54
keep on dreaming Houston will will SOMEDAY
huh ?

What on earth is he talking about ?
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #42
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Can you say "Troll?"
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #43
Diehardtexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
Can you say "Troll?"
Troll
Diehardtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #44
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm sure Houston will will SOMEDAY. I just hope they don't won't won't. Will will is better than won't won't!
Exascor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #45
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudds
PLease don't compare Ragone to Carr. There is no comparison, period. He's a good player at this level and will be a good back-up...never going to be a starter.

Think about getting sacked over 140 times in three seasons and how that might affect a player. Ragone has never had to deal with that.

A couple of points I'd like to make.

1. Nobody should be forced to deal with 140 sacks in three seasons.

2. You have no idea whether Dave Ragone will be a starter or is capable of being a starter in the NFL. The vast majority of people who say things like this are basing that on seeing Ragone play two times during his rookie season (something that should never have happened) with Tony Hollings as his running back (hence exactly zero running game) and on watching him play with the 3rd team in the preseason. Lousy blocking, often pitiful recievers, and again, Tony Hollings as his running game.

Ragone should easily be the #2 right now and could, very easily find himself starting for the Texans sometime this season if Carr keeps putting up performances like he did last night and last week.

Absolutely David Carr is the starter here. No doubt about it. If we go into week 6 or 7 with one win and that record can be realistically hung on Carr's play then Dave Ragone will get a look.
Old 09-02-2005   #46
evil_scotsman
Rookie

I don't know why everbody's moaning, we're going 16-0
evil_scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #47
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_scotsman
I don't know why everbody's moaning, we're going 16-0
Really? I thought they were 0-0.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-02-2005   #48
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I applaud you for opening your eyes on this one. It takes a big man to admit he's wrong.
At the time there was no challenge from Ragone. Where is the post that I made that also stated that whoever is performing at the highest level should start whatever position it may be? Remember when I said Wells should get the chance to start? I wasn't wrong about anything, just my opinion, which is what a message board is for...glad you got nothing better to do than dig my old posts up...
Old 09-02-2005   #49
Doug
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Personally, this whole thread is crazy. Just because you criticize your team or team members doesn't make you a basher or a bandwagon jumper. If anything I think it makes you more of a fan. If my best friend is doing something wrong, I'm going to tell him how he's mucking up because I care about him and want him to excel in what he's doing. How I go about presenting it is based on my personality. It's not always going to jive with the way other people would handle it. I've been the first to act like everythinig is going to be okay even though our team was stinking it up and I'd have several reasons for why things didn't turn out so well. You know there comes a time when you have to look at things realistically and know what good things and bad things are going on with your team from an unbiased stand point. That to me makes you a real fan (Not always looking at the positives but taking into consideration the negatives and being able to discuss the negatives without trying to make it into a positive). The one thing I, as a fan, would like to comment on is the playing of David Carr (I'm well aware he's not the only one stinking it up but it almost always starts with the quarterback). His play is horrible. He's not going through his progressions, and his aim has alot to be desired. I firmly believe that until someone is pushing him for the starting quarterback role we will never see what David Carr is fully capable of. I guarantee to you that if he was aware that the starting role is for the taking and not his alone, you would see a huge fire under his rear and he'd take it to that next level. That's not bashing David, that's reality. Everyone becomes lax in a position at work and thinks they have a good thing till the new guy shows up and starts learning what you're supposed to be doing. That's the fire I'm talking about; The same one that take's everybody to that next level when you feel threatened in one way or another.
Something else I wanted to point out that kind of helps my theory on competition for the starting qb role is the situation in San Diego. Why is it that San Diego drafts Rivers (Originally Manning) and all of a sudden Drew Brees is a pro bowl quarterback? It's not like he had the makings of being one the year before. Just curious about your opinions on this one.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #50
TMac48
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TMac48

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
If he continues playing into the ergular season the way he has this preseason, why not put Ragone in?

Preseason Ragone 11/21 233 yards 3 TD 0 INT Passer Rating 102.4
Carr 15/34 125 yards 1 TD 4 INT Passer Rating 40.9

No comparison? You are right...As of now Ragone is leaps and bounds ahead of Carr, and Ragone plays without AJ and Davis, our 2 best offensive weapons...
Ok, put Carr in against a bunch of 3rd-stringers and see what happens. He would tear it up too!
Old 09-02-2005   #51
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac48
Ok, put Carr in against a bunch of 3rd-stringers and see what happens. He would tear it up too!
Thank you. Why do people insist on making our backups out to be better than our starters when they've only played against 2nd or 3rd string players? That said...Carr's preseason was one to forget.
Exascor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #52
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Something else I wanted to point out that kind of helps my theory on competition for the starting qb role is the situation in San Diego. Why is it that San Diego drafts Rivers (Originally Manning) and all of a sudden Drew Brees is a pro bowl quarterback? It's not like he had the makings of being one the year before. Just curious about your opinions on this one.

Competition bring out the best in some people , others will sulk and whine ....Brees seems to be one that thrives on competition . As of this point whether Rivers is a bust or not doesnt matter as it pushed Brees to improve .... by leaps and bounds .

Problem is I dont think the Texans have the luxury of drafting a QB high in the draft just for the sole purpose of competing with Carr , they have too many other holes to fill . And again , how woulkd Carr respond ?

As for those QB's on the roster pushing Carr ....

Forget about Banks doing that , he just doesnt have it in him . At this point in his career Banks is suitable as a back-up and nothing more .

Ragone on the other hand is Rapidly improving . He looks like a totally different player than he did in his rookie year when he was forced to start two games . In those games he looked like a deer caught in the headlights , now he looks as if he belongs in the NFL , that being as a starter or a back-up is yet to be determined .

It wouldnt bother me a bit come week 4 and they are 1-3 if Carr were benched in favor of Ragone for a game or two just to send a message .
Old 09-02-2005   #53
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
At the time there was no challenge from Ragone. Where is the post that I made that also stated that whoever is performing at the highest level should start whatever position it may be? Remember when I said Wells should get the chance to start? I wasn't wrong about anything, just my opinion, which is what a message board is for...glad you got nothing better to do than dig my old posts up...
Sorry man, I didn't mean to offend. I just thought it ironic that my suggestion to challenge Carr was met with such universal disdain, and now after posting a QB rating lower than Roger Clemens' ERA, a lot of other people suggesting the same thing. It's nothing personal, I just happened to remember your responses specifically.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #54
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
I just thought it ironic that my suggestion to challenge Carr was met with such universal disdain, and now after posting a QB rating lower than Roger Clemens' ERA

... but the truth hurts ....

Carr .... the honeymoon is over .

Capers .... its time to take the diapers off .

Old 09-02-2005   #55
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
This a just for the record remark. I have been pretty consistent as saying that Carr is a good Qbs in the Hasselbeck, Plummer , Brooks range. A guy who is inconsistent, but a NFL starting quality guy. Just trying to say I am not a Carr hater. Worth having as a QB, but not an elite.

your post sounds eeerily similar to what friends of mine who are Dallas cowboys fans said about Troy Aikman....guess we need to give him time to prove he is an elite as you tab it. I for one think that preseason has as much to do with regular season as summer heat has to do with winter snow. I for one support Carr he has as a earlier poster said been beat up and yet he is still out there trying, I haven't heard him whine about officiating (which having been at Dallas game he could) or blame anyone he has stood up and took heat. I respect him and always will!!! I remember what my ol daddy used to say. "Rush to judgement repent in leisure" so some who are complaining will one day find themselves in a differnet situation
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #56
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK, put him in without AJ and DD...see what happens...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read