Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-02-2005   #21
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy54
Dallas was beaten by the better team that game but damn it was a good game right to the end
Quote:
jack pardee give me a break
Quote:
how bout Wally lembeck
Quote:

4 posts in a row and nothing intelligent to say .... geez dont the Cowpies have some drama on their board
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #22
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
randy54 Houston football has always been a joke, U go back to the Oilers all they did was CHOKE and the fans always loved them ( why i do not know) Now u have these Texicans who are the same ol' same ol'. As a Cowboys fan for over 30 years all i can say is until you win the big one u need to shut up. I mean no harm to u Houston fans but come on, Win the big one and then u will get some respect. I think it is funny how Dallas can win Super bowls then have a down time but they reload and do it again while the Houston pro team is stuck in the mud saying wait til next year.......Broken record get rid of it
How many years have the cowboys been reloading know. Also i realy like the cowboys strategy. Sign a forty year old QB wait a year and sign another has been. Also I realy like how Marcellus Wiley did for yall last year man what a steal.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #23
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieNzona
So, my question is has something in the orginization changed? Is McNair not spending like he was? Have there been key personell changes? Who is calling the personell shots? Is this all on Capers? And will they fire Palmer? I am guessing if this season is a colapse there will be a complete regeme change. Bring me up to speed fans! Thanks!
Yes, the organization has changed and it has nothing to do with McNair's spending or personnel changes. In the beginning stages they were young and hungry and felt like they could build the team into a winner in a short period of time with their core group of players. They had no business being in some of the games that they were and played above their talent level quite a few times.

Somewhere along the way they figured out that they are very limited in what they can accomplish by the gameplan. See Sharper and Walker's comments at the end of last year as an example. This team is not motivated to play for the coaching staff, much less themselves, thus the last 5 gutless performances.

Will Capers and Palmer be fired??? Absolutely, the question is when. There is a reason that they were out of work when the Texans came calling. Dom's routine of standing on the sidelines taking notes and catching flies with his mouth is wearing thin. He is not good at motivating, game planning or adjusting to the opponent. And a junior high coach could predict 90% of Palmer's play calls.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #24
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
direction why?
What are you basing this on?

2002 - 4-12
2003 - 5-11
2004 - 7-9

How is that not improving? Are you basing this on the performance of the team in the pre-season? I surely hope not. And even if they don't improve on 7-9 this season...so what?

I think the biggest problem is expectations. Your comment about how they did everything right the first few years is a good example. Who's to say everything they did was right? I read many a post that claimed a Super Bowl appearance within the first 5 years. Did these people even consider just how difficult it is to do that? I highly doubt it. Being given a new team with a new start guarantees you nothing except that you'll have a home team to cheer for.

This game is all about peaks and valleys. As fans, you should practice patience so that the peaks are as enjoyable as possible. It's the valleys that make the peaks even more enjoyable. As a Cowboys fan, trust me on this one.

Quote:
blah, blah, blah....hominuh, hominuh, hominuh...
That's about the gist of it.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #25
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
Somewhere along the way they figured out that they are very limited in what they can accomplish by the gameplan. See Sharper and Walker's comments at the end of last year as an example. This team is not motivated to play for the coaching staff, much less themselves, thus the last 5 gutless performances.

I addressed Sharpers comments in another post within the past week and was told ....
Quote:
I think youre looking for drama when there isnt any
I think you are right , the team in general feels the same way Sharper did last season ....
Old 09-02-2005   #26
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

This is what Sharper said to get him cut...

"I was done with losing that first season. No more positives. You have to produce. Somebody has to show us the way. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but who's going to direct us there? We need somebody to direct us to wins instead of close games."

That's not drama, just fact. I have a feeling that we will hear something similar from a lot more players this year.
Old 09-02-2005   #27
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

"I was done with losing that first season. No more positives. You have to produce. Somebody has to show us the way. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but who's going to direct us there? We need somebody to direct us to wins instead of close games."
IMO it is BS that this comment is what got Sharper cut. His cap figure and play got him cut along with a overinflated self value. The Texans were renegotiating with him to sign him to an extension and they couldn't come to terms. I'd bet he got offered more by the Texans than he got from the Seahawks.

What the comment above does show is Sharper wasn't the leader everyone assumes every veteran player is otherwise he would have been motivating the D and not standing around waiting for someone else to do it.
Old 09-02-2005   #28
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
The Texans have been around for all of 3 years...in that time the Cowboys have won 21 games and the Texans have won 16...And when was the last time the cowgirls won a Super Bowl, 10 years ago? Come back when the girls when one in this decade...
Well said, and while we're at it, we might remind him about the first game we
played. Can't remember who we played, but the score was something like,
ah, lets see, was it 19-10 ?
Don't understand people spending time on other Boards ? Too much time on their hands, they have been banned from their team's Boards ? I can't think of anything more boring than spending time on a Giants Board, or
Broncos Board, etc.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #29
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:

That's not drama, just fact. I have a feeling that we will hear something similar from a lot more players this year.
This is the comment I was refering to .... and I agree that is what got him cut .
One thing in capers defense here .... he didnt d!ck around and let the situation fester nor did he let this become a distraction in the media , he QUIETLY put it to rest .... Good Grief did I just defend Capers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
IMO it is BS that this comment is what got Sharper cut. His cap figure and play got him cut along with a overinflated self value. The Texans were renegotiating with him to sign him to an extension and they couldn't come to terms. I'd bet he got offered more by the Texans than he got from the Seahawks.

What the comment above does show is Sharper wasn't the leader everyone assumes every veteran player is otherwise he would have been motivating the D and not standing around waiting for someone else to do it.
I have to disagree with you on this , although his contract had some bearing upon his release I sincerely believe it was his comments that got him cut , they were also a huge part of why no one would offer much (or anything) in trade for him .... why pay for what you can get for free . Most GM's knew he would be released therefor wouldnt give anything in return.

As for his leadership .... It took a lot more to speak out against Capers and the rest of the staff than to blindly follow .
Old 09-02-2005   #30
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

there is really no truth or show me the proof that the Texans would not keep Sharper if they could have agreed on a new contract. my take is that he was on the downhill side of his career and half a step slower, hence the Texans went after a faster, younger Greenwood.

you knows exactly if JS was singling out individuals or the organization as a whole, me thinks he was just speaking out of frustration at the time
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #31
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
I have to disagree with you on this , although his contract had some bearing upon his release I sincerely believe it was his comments that got him cut , they were also a huge part of why no one would offer much (or anything) in trade for him .... why pay for what you can get for free . Most GM's knew he would be released therefor wouldnt give anything in return.
Well no point in arguing with the firmly convinced crystal ball believers. There isn't a shred of evidence but don't let that stop y'all.
Old 09-02-2005   #32
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Yes, his contract had something to do with his release, but it was not the only factor. The guy was arguably their best defensive player for the first 3 years.

These comments were made after the Colts game and the defense had actually played pretty well only giving up 2 TD passes to Manning. Of course Carr and the offense had just laid another egg.
Old 09-02-2005   #33
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
direction why?
I am not in H-town so at times I feel a bit out of touch. Can someone fill me in or address my thoughts?

The first few years this franchise did everything right. First class all the way. But something seems to have changed starting with the draft in 2004. The team skiped obvious needs for what seemd like reaches, they repeated that same draft strategy again this year. They also seemed content with not moving forward in the off season. The FA signings where certianly no gain from what the lost. In stead of keeping the best players and adding a few more key people they treaded water. I have been very worried about this team for months, but I keep reading all of you more tuned in talking playoffs. I got a bad feeling and am thinking 5-6 wins max and a lot of boring football.

So, my question is has something in the orginization changed? Is McNair not spending like he was? Have there been key personell changes? Who is calling the personell shots? Is this all on Capers? And will they fire Palmer? I am guessing if this season is a colapse there will be a complete regeme change. Bring me up to speed fans! Thanks!

Now I am not attacking, but would like to point out that DD and Morency are third and fourth round picks. Wasent peek a third rounder? Wasent Polk, who I like and think has great potential, imo, a later round pick. Faggins, CC brown and armstrong all later round picks. Yes Hill was a what wereya thinkin kinda pick and so was Hollings other than that I feel Cass has done a pretty solid job.

We have tried to go after free agents but only offer money that the organization feels they are worth. You dont get any bigger than going after pace they way they did. The Texans have tried upgrading the O-line but good left tackles dont grow on trees.

I think we as a fan base just need to relax, remember to breath, and enjoy the season. And if that dosent work then I am sure you can get help from your 12 little friends that come handily in a carton.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #34
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Somebody to lead the way? He should know the way, he has a Super Bowl ring...do the need the coaches need to help him wipe after he uses the bathroom too?
Old 09-02-2005   #35
SESupergenius

Quote:

That's horsehockey, and I'd love to sell you a bridge in Louisiana. I think that Sharper felt this team was going nowhere and said something about it. He wouldn't budge on renegotiating his contract because he is still a very good player. Greenwood is no Sharper and we overpaid for him, sure Sharper wasn't going to get paid as much as his current contract with Texans, but he probably will get paid more by not restructuring with the Texans. He probably wanted to play out his year at his salary and negotiate for a new contract after that, not restructure and take a pay cut. Greenwood is not an upgrade over Sharper, he's was just a player we needed because Sharper was leaving.
Old 09-02-2005   #36
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Somebody to lead the way? He should know the way, he has a Super Bowl ring...do the need the coaches need to help him wipe after he uses the bathroom too?
He was talking about the coaches, not the teammates. He was a veteran leader on this team, don't try and deminish his efforts for political reasons. Gary Walker basically said the same thing.
Old 09-02-2005   #37
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
He wouldn't budge on renegotiating his contract because he is still a very good player. Greenwood is no Sharper and we overpaid for him, sure Sharper wasn't going to get paid as much as his current contract with Texans, but he probably will get paid more by not restructuring with the Texans. He probably wanted to play out his year at his salary and negotiate for a new contract after that, not restructure and take a pay cut. Greenwood is not an upgrade over Sharper, he's was just a player we needed because Sharper was leaving.
you need to go back and watch the tapes of the games last season. Don't just look at the stats because they were very very very misleading. Sharper was not a good play last year, in fact he was a liability.

Again.......Go back and watch the game film. You will be surprised how much you will change your mind on this issue. At first I agreed with you then after hearing people talk about how he made most of his tackles after 5 year gains and how he couldnt do anything productive when he drops back in pass coverge, I went back and watch the film. Wow they were more than right. If you are a fan of Sharper and you watch the game film and focus on his position you will be SHOCKED.

I am not surprised they are already dissapointed in his play in Seattle.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #38
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Oh well we will be good someday...
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #39
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
you need to go back and watch the tapes of the games last season. Don't just look at the stats because they were very very very misleading. Sharper was not a good play last year, in fact he was a liability.

Again.......Go back and watch the game film. You will be surprised how much you will change your mind on this issue. At first I agreed with you then after hearing people talk about how he made most of his tackles after 5 year gains and how he couldnt do anything productive when he drops back in pass coverge, I went back and watch the film. Wow they were more than right. If you are a fan of Sharper and you watch the game film and focus on his position you will be SHOCKED.

I am not surprised they are already dissapointed in his play in Seattle.

Lets take a look at the defense for a moment before we jump to conclusions ...

The Texans play a 3-4 defense which puts 3 D-linemen against 5 O-linemen giving the offense an immediate advantage ... Unless two of those three D-linemen are dominant enough to demand a double team EVERY PLAY . Ill venture as far as to say the Texand did NOT have two linemen of that calibur last year . G-Funk played poorly (was he hurt , is he washed up or is he not suited to the 3-4 ) for the majority of the season . Seth Payne was coming off of a major injury and is just now begining to show he can play up to NEAR his old form . Robaire Smith played well at times but didnt demand to be double teamed every down ..... That leaves two O-Linemen free to meet the LB's Beyond the line of scrimmage . Which leaves the LB's to fight off their blocks and make tackles down field ....
This will explain a lot of the troubles when teams run between the tackles .
It could have been much worse against the run had Wong and Babin not been solid on the outside . They both did a good job of keeping plays from getting outside with any regularity .
The Texans DID NOT play an aggressive form of the 3-4 last season ... which is one of the strengths of the 3-4 ... the blitz can come from ANY place at ANY time . They Say they didnt have the personel in place to play aggressively. Which .... according to Capers and Fangio explains why they couldnt get any pressure on the opposing QB's ... giving them all day to carve up the secondary .

Bottom line is that unless your front three are dominant this defense is vulnnerable both to the run and pass .
They have no such excuses this season .
Old 09-02-2005   #40
DoCt3rJ
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DoCt3rJ

All i'm gonna say is Cowboys 3-4 defense looks alot better than ours =). Infact, Cowboys offense and defense look better than ours as of right now. Mainly I think because cboys oline is alot better than ours, we have better WR and QB, but Jones is prolly a tad bit better than DD. I'm liking Cowboys depth though at dline and cb, plus throw in a probowl safety and a rookie D.Ware whos showed alot more promise than Peak and Babin have showed. We may have a down season, but I'm sure we will pick it back up.
DoCt3rJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read