Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-01-2005   #1
aggieNzona
Rookie

Question Franchise is heading in the wrong

direction why?
I am not in H-town so at times I feel a bit out of touch. Can someone fill me in or address my thoughts?

The first few years this franchise did everything right. First class all the way. But something seems to have changed starting with the draft in 2004. The team skiped obvious needs for what seemd like reaches, they repeated that same draft strategy again this year. They also seemed content with not moving forward in the off season. The FA signings where certianly no gain from what the lost. In stead of keeping the best players and adding a few more key people they treaded water. I have been very worried about this team for months, but I keep reading all of you more tuned in talking playoffs. I got a bad feeling and am thinking 5-6 wins max and a lot of boring football.

So, my question is has something in the orginization changed? Is McNair not spending like he was? Have there been key personell changes? Who is calling the personell shots? Is this all on Capers? And will they fire Palmer? I am guessing if this season is a colapse there will be a complete regeme change. Bring me up to speed fans! Thanks!
aggieNzona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005   #2
aggiechance
Rookie

Good points...I'm really confused about this years draft...was no good left tackle available...why are our backup qb's so average (Dave Ragone needs to produce in the US now)....why do we draft well in the first round and poor in the 3rd round (ie Hollings). I'm thinking we need to change things up too...I'm not ready to dump on Capers...just confused on why we are heading east and west versus north.
aggiechance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Ive said from the begining of camp they would probably go 7-9 but after the past two weeks my expectations have gone down to 5-11 ... i listed my opinion of the Texans needs and offseason moves in another post and will copy and past them here http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ad.php?t=11535

Quote:
Ive pretty much predicted another 7-9 or worse record this year .... Why you ask ... thats pretty simple .

First of all you CUT two of your leaders and arguably most productive players on the devensive side of the ball in J.Sharper and Aaron Glenn not to mention the release of J.Foreman who was a starter although borderline . Sharper is a Starter on almost every team in the NFL . Glenn may have lost a step but his leadership and cover ability will be sorely missed . To give up two quality players like that for ZERO COMPENSATION is just not good business . Salary Cap or no ... :brickwall
The players they plugged into those positions are un-proven if not questionable thenselves in Greenwood and Buchannon .

Moved another player to a new position in K.Wong . Yes i realize he has played inside before but that was in the Vikings 4-3 . There will be a transition period for Wong no doubt .

The Offense has three Glaring weaknesses ....

First the O-Line and a particular weakness at LT where we had S.Wand last season and now have V.Riley who has played better than Wand ..... While Riley has played decent and is an upgrade he isnt the cornerstone player needed to protect Carr's blindside . The O-line is still sub par and lacks depth . Carr will likely lead the league again in times sacked .

Many on this board including myself have said the Texans lack a multi-dimensional TE . Bruener ,likely the starter come opening day , was known for his blocking when w/ the Steelers hasnt done much of that since coming to the Texans and his pass catching abilities are .... Poor to say the least . Billy Miller couldnt block for a high school team . Matt Murphy has been hot and cold so far . Joppru isnt listed on the Texans depth chart and is injuried for a thrid straight season . Looks like he'll end up on the PuP list again or get cut .

At the Skill positions its Carr , A.J , D.D. and a buncha no-bodies . The Texans need a second reciever to compliment A.J.
Bradford has had three seasons to show he could be that player .... it was evident when no other NFL team would sign him that he isnt that player . The Texans re-signed him as more of an insurance policy if you ask me .... Or the lack of a better free agent option at the position within their price range .
Gaffeny has been injury plagued this pre-season and hasnt had opportunity to show if he can improve upon last year .
For all those who think Mathis is the savior here .... he was drafted purely on Potential , this kid is Raw with a Capitol R.A.W. His college team didnt even have a reciever's coach ....He will contribute on special teams but dont look for him to see much action at reciever until mid-season if not later .
Swinton has been a bright spot so far at reciever and returning kicks .... although he may not get much time at reciever .

While on the subject of the skill positions ..... SOMEONE PLEASE CUT T.HOLLINGS , we have seen ENOUGH !! Cut your losses and keep someone who will make good use of a roster spot !

There have been a few bright spots for the Texans this off-season but i just dont think the team has improved itself , in fact they may have taken a step backwards and their record will show it in the coming season . 6-10 or 7-9 isnt the end of the world but for most of us fans it isnt what we expect from this orginization . We expect sound decisions and progress ....

Flame away , i know its coming !

These are the type of responses i got ....

Quote:
why did you take all that time to write this drivel? seriously.. you should be spending more time reading what knowledgable fans have to say, not forming flawed opinions off of whatever snippets of information you catch here and there.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #4
SESupergenius

This is why it's going to be incredibly difficult for the to come to grips with another losing season, their expectations are too high.
Old 09-02-2005   #5
ROYDESTROY
Rookie

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
This is why it's going to be incredibly difficult for the to come to grips with another losing season, their expectations are too high.
You nailed it bro..reality will set in..but more excuses will be given
Old 09-02-2005   #6
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYDESTROY
You nailed it bro..reality will set in..but more excuses will be given
Just like Cowboy fans think they will do any better.
Old 09-02-2005   #7
randy54
Rookie

Exclamation

Houston football has always been a joke, U go back to the Oilers all they did was CHOKE and the fans always loved them ( why i do not know) Now u have these Texicans who are the same ol' same ol'. As a Cowboys fan for over 30 years all i can say is until you win the big one u need to shut up. I mean no harm to u Houston fans but come on, Win the big one and then u will get some respect. I think it is funny how Dallas can win Super bowls then have a down time but they reload and do it again while the Houston pro team is stuck in the mud saying wait til next year.......Broken record get rid of it
randy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-02-2005   #8
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Houston football has always been a joke, U go back to the Oilers all they did was CHOKE and the fans always loved them ( why i do not know) Now u have these Texicans who are the sam ol' same ol'. As a Cowboys fan for over 30 years all i can say is until you win the big one u need to shut up. I mean no harm to u Houston fans but come on, Win the big one and then u will get some respect. I think it is funny how Dallas can win Super bowls then have a down time but they reload and do it again while the Houston pro team is stuck in the mud saying wait til next year.......Broken record get rid of it
The Texans have been around for all of 3 years...in that time the Cowboys have won 21 games and the Texans have won 16...And when was the last time the cowgirls won a Super Bowl, 10 years ago? Come back when the girls when one in this decade...
Old 09-02-2005   #9
randy54
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy54
Houston football has always been a joke, U go back to the Oilers all they did was CHOKE and the fans always loved them ( why i do not know) Now u have these Texicans who are the same ol' same ol'. As a Cowboys fan for over 30 years all i can say is until you win the big one u need to shut up. I mean no harm to u Houston fans but come on, Win the big one and then u will get some respect. I think it is funny how Dallas can win Super bowls then have a down time but they reload and do it again while the Houston pro team is stuck in the mud saying wait til next year.......Broken record get rid of it
dallas cowboys five time world champion
Old 09-02-2005   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Houston football has always been a joke, U go back to the Oilers all they did was CHOKE and the fans always loved them ( why i do not know)

Those Oilers teams ran into a DYNASTY called the Pittsburg Steelers ... the same team that beat the Cowpies in the Big One ...

Those Oilers Vs. Steelers games were always fun to watch , They hated us , we hated them . The Oilers DID NOT CHOKE , they were simply beaten by a better team , so which is it , did your Cowpies choke in the Big One or were they just beaten by a better team ?

Go elsewhere

Last edited by Corrosion; 09-02-2005 at 08:37 AM.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #11
randy54
Rookie

i did not call your blessed oilers a childish name but i have to agree the steelers of the 70's were a handfull and the dallas pittsburg SB's were exciting.
Old 09-02-2005   #12
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i don't think this franchise is headed in the wrong direction i just think we are running the wrong offense for it...with the receivers we have and the quarterback we need to be running a offense similiar to oakland...go deep and go often...our defense will be better...i'm just worried that this 3-step passing routes is something that carr doesn't adapt well too
Old 09-02-2005   #13
randy54
Rookie

earl campbell was a great RB but Bum Phillips ran him into the ground
Old 09-02-2005   #14
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 15683 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieNzona
The first few years this franchise did everything right. First class all the way. But something seems to have changed starting with the draft in 2004. The team skiped obvious needs for what seemd like reaches, they repeated that same draft strategy again this year.
What obvious needs? Who would you have taken over whom the Texans chose? (Of course, taking into acount hindsight now.) I think the team has skipped the FANS obvious needs, except the first couple of seasons where we knew who we were going to pick.

Quote:
They also seemed content with not moving forward in the off season.
I'm sure that's their plan.

Quote:
The FA signings where certianly no gain from what the lost. In stead of keeping the best players and adding a few more key people they treaded water.
So, basically keep the players that are getting on in age with a back loaded contract? No thanks - you can head over to the Raiders for that.... though they have been changing that philosphy.

Quote:
I have been very worried about this team for months, but I keep reading all of you more tuned in talking playoffs. I got a bad feeling and am thinking 5-6 wins max and a lot of boring football.
It's good to have the high goals of playoffs, personally I think we'll still just miss it, but we'll have our first winning season this year.

Quote:
So, my question is has something in the orginization changed? Is McNair not spending like he was? Have there been key personell changes? Who is calling the personell shots? Is this all on Capers? And will they fire Palmer? I am guessing if this season is a colapse there will be a complete regeme change. Bring me up to speed fans! Thanks!
Yes, something in the organization has changed - we're growing as a team and the expectations are higher now (some are excessive expectations). Is it all on Capers? No - it's on all the coaches, the players, and the front office. If there is a collapse, I don't think it'll be an overhaul, re: Browns but it will be interesting to see what happens... besides for all the "I told you so" that will appear on the boards.

Just sit back, relax... pop one open and enjoy the season. If there's a frustration, just means you love the team.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #15
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i don't think this franchise is headed in the wrong direction i just think we are running the wrong offense for it...with the receivers we have and the quarterback we need to be running a offense similiar to oakland...go deep and go often...our defense will be better...i'm just worried that this 3-step passing routes is something that carr doesn't adapt well too
I agree...line Carr up in the gun, put AJ and Gaffney on one side, and Mathis and Bradford (I guess if he has to stay) on the other...Bring the run and shoot back to Houston! We want Jack Pardee back!
Old 09-02-2005   #16
randy54
Rookie

Dallas was beaten by the better team that game but damn it was a good game right to the end
Old 09-02-2005   #17
randy54
Rookie

jack pardee give me a break
Old 09-02-2005   #18
randy54
Rookie

how bout Wally lembeck
Old 09-02-2005   #19
randy54
Rookie

Old 09-02-2005   #20
The Preacher
Veteran

Quote:

You go to other teams' MB's to put down their fans? Classy
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read