Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-02-2005   #41
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
Neither the coaches nor the starting players give a crap about preseason. They are not giving 100%.
I don't think Johnson drops those passes in the regular season and I think you're right. The first string players (in general) don't seem to care much unless their first string spot is on the line.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #42
rafterticket
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Either Capers and crew need to be fired before the season even begins, or Capers needs to send a message and bench Carr for Ragone on opening weekend. Oh, but that wouldn't happen. This is why I can't stand the NFL sometimes: Coaches don't do what they should. Carr ought to be benched to send a signal to Carr and the other slackers.
Yes. David Carr has looked bad in two preseason games in a row. BAD.

But bench him for Ragone? That's not a solution.

I truly like Ragone, but still see him as what he is - a third string quarterback. I think you can easily see a difference between Carr, Banks and Ragone in the way they look over center and the way they keep their composure after the snap. (okay, in the last two games, this would not include what happens to the ball after Carr actually throws it ) Ragone looks so uptight so much of the time he makes me nervous watching him.

Banks is good as a backup, but he doesn't seem to keep focus. Quarterback Deficit Disorder or something.

Anyway, Carr is the best QB they have. Personally, I will keep any criticism in check, and hope he shakes it off.
rafterticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #43
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

ha ha, you whiners complaining about carr throwing fits. if he didnt do that and just acted calm, you guys would beotch about him "not caring, not showing emotion"
Old 09-03-2005   #44
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Parting comments:

Lucky, thank you for the Clinton-esque "I never had sex with that woman....oh, it depends on the meaning of "sex"..." semantics.

Saying that there's a difference between actually calling me a cry baby and saying that I am crying is one of the stupidest things I have heard. Oops! I said that you said something stupid, but it's OK because I didn't actually call you stupid. (That's neat how that works, huh?)

Yeah, you just SAID something really stupid and dumb and ignorant....but I'm glad you're none of those things. I'd never actually call you stupid or ignorant or dumb or anything like that.

Thanks for the clarification. I think we all owe you some gratitude for your insight.

Having said that, I stick by my comments: Carr's performance has been horrible, our first team offense has been horrible, and Carr's lame comments are still lame because he's the leader and he said "WE" instead of just keeping it real by using his own name and shouldering at least SOME of the responsibility.

That's not crying. That's not being a gloom and doomer. That's me being critical of one of our players, and to some of you it's just not acceptable to ever question the great and powerful Oz standing behind the curtain.

Done.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #45
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Saying that there's a difference between actually calling me a cry baby and saying that I am crying is one of the stupidest things I have heard. Oops! I said that you said something stupid, but it's OK because I didn't actually call you stupid. (That's neat how that works, huh?)
I'm glad you can now see the distinction.

Of the dozen Carr threads that were on the front page, yours was the lamest. Making something out of "we" (Washington spin doctors would be proud). If you just wanted to voice concerns about the team's performance, there were multiple threads open to chime in. No, you wanted to make something out of nothing. Carr was horrible for 2 weeks in a row. That's all there is to it. I'd like to see you stick to the facts and stop whining. What's wrong with that?
Old 09-03-2005   #46
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

"...as for your "patriot games" theory, as it's been quoted NUMEROUS TIMES, the patriots went 0-4 last pre-season (or the superbowl winning season before that)...guess they found the elusive "switch" by opening day, lucky them, without it they wouldn't be in any position to considered a modern dynasty."

-- jrock

Jrock, look at the stats a little closer. Yes, they went 0-4 in THAT particular preseason, but the stats show that this was not the case in the majority of other preseasons for other Super Bowl winners in past years. The clear majority of teams who won a Super Bowl had a winning preseason. The 0-4 preseason was a statistical fluke and does not in any way reflect what the rest of the preseason records show: Teams who won the Super Bowl had winning preseasons.

This is EXACTLY what I mean by the "light switch" philosophy. And I can't believe how many people who have responded to my post, people who have made intelligent posts in the past, are just blatantly ignoring what I think is a clear indication that our team has a history of just turning it on and turning it off at will. I'm getting burned at the stake and the only fuel that's being used is "Dude, it's JUST the preseason."

It's like "It's just the preseason" is the cure-all for any injury to the pride of this organization.

I just don't why people can so easily ignore baaaaaaaad play by our team and truly believe it when they say, "...it's just the preseason."

"Just" is a justification of why they played bad, and I am not accepting (nor will I ever accept) this team's performance at any game when it's clear they just (JUST) don't care.

Even if we win a few games early on, the light switch will get flicked again and the room will go dark. Winning two games back-to-back last year was like winning the Super Bowl around here. We had people naming their babies David or Carr. We had such a huge overblown celebration over what I seem to think is a red flag: Winning back-to-game games, being CONSISTENT in other words, is a hard thing for us to achieve. Need I say more?

Lastly, I hope this team does well. The whole reason I'm upset, and ranting, is because I really do love this team and I want them to live up to their potential. I don't want to be seen as the guy who loves to see them suffer and makes a profit off it. But there is a huge red flag with me right now about our team. I don;t know if it's Carr, the coaches, the front office, other players, or just a combination of all those and some other issues, but national radio personalities have said it and I agree with it: "The Texans were everybody's dark horse candidate last year. They are everybody's darkhorse candidate this year. They didn't deliver last year, and if they don't deliver this year....you can expect to become irrelevant in a hurry."

It's a make or break season, folks. Period. If you think people are on tilt right now because of it being JUST the preseason....you ain't seen nothin' yet if we go another 7-9 or worse. The moderators will need flame-retardant suits and a fire hydrant to extinguish the flames when off-season hits.

So I lift my glass. Here's to praying that it WAS "just preseason," and God bless the Texans.
Old 09-03-2005   #47
GP 
Go Texans!

"...Carr was horrible for 2 weeks in a row. That's all there is to it. I'd like to see you stick to the facts and stop whining. What's wrong with that?"

-- Lucky

Facts? The fact is that I haven't seen the LEADER of our team say that HE personally did not perform well. He doesn't "owe" that to a mob of angry fans, but it just would have been nice to see that he has the balls to swallow a little pride and take personal ownership. He didn't have to bbq himself or anything. But I think the whole problem with our whole team's play is that everybody wants to use the "we" label. You know, if at least ONE player would take personal ownership and admit to playing bad....could it possibly rub off and cause all the other players to stop hiding behind the team/we shield and suck it up and personally take charge of their own play and attempt to personally correct the breakdowns that are REPEATEDLY occurring? One time or one game is OK. But the entire preseason has been a circus of the same mistakes, over and over and over and over and over.

At work, when I personally screw up (which happens often), I think I'll first say, "Well, boss, it's JUST the morning. I'm sure I'll do better in the afternoon...." And then, when it happens over and over for like four weeks in a row, and he doesn't accept the "It's JUST the morning excuse," I'll throw in the "Boss, listen. I know "we" have screwed up a lot recently..." And then he'll say, "Whoa. Hold on. "We?" What do you mean?" And I'll say, "Yeah. We need to get our act together real quick." And he'll say, "YOU can leave."

Now how far did using "we" get me. That's a fact, jack.

We only won the Raiders game because (1) Sloan Thomas, a 6th-stringer, made a heck of play and (2) Kris Brown kicked 12 field goals because we couldn't get the ball in the end zone like other teams we've played against have been able to do at will. That's not something to hang our hats on.

Even YOU admit that Carr played horrible two weeks in a row, but you are still not able to disconnect and just let your "Carr played horrible two weeks in a row" stand on its own. You then attach an insult to it for chuckles because you've decided to make it personal. You've made my point. Thanks.

My thread was relevant when I started it. It's still relevant as we speak. It wasn't a lame thread. Look back through the posts and see that this is one of the ONLY threads in a long time that has actually stuck to the topic of the thread and hasn't degenerated into some other conversation. If this isn't a good thread, then I don't know what is.

We, we, we, we, we, we, we. I guess if "It's just preseason" is the magic cure-all for an injury to the pride of this organization...then it looks like "football is a team sport, and "we" is how a player responds and not "I"..." is the protective bubble that our players get to travel in to keep them from getting a few boo-boos.

Geez, you guys are really adamant about building a tall wall around the players. No getting into the compound when Lucky's on watch. :brickwall
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2005   #48
jtijerina32
Rookie

Default Same Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
I think that there is probably nobody that feels worse than David over his performance these last 2 weeks. He seems to be very competitive. I'm never heard him dodge a question regarding poor performance anyway.

I really believe he will do whatever he has to do to play much better in Buffalo.
SAME HERE i think he knows what he has to work on in order to make everything run smoother in the offense, im not saying he should be off the hook just yet cause the fact of the matter is he needs to understand that ragone can give him a run for his money and if he doesnt step it up and take responsibility for his poor performances in the past games he will have to get benched until he can regroup himself
jtijerina32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #49
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

I don't know what to think about Carr. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt....but then the mistakes he made were fundamental mistakes. The reason I feel I can give him somewhat of the benefit of the doubt is cause they were game planned for Tampa, they've always sucked in pre-season, and when they do game plan for teams like Tampa during the regular season.....the comparison is night and day. They go out there and whip some tail. Seeing them these past two weeks, they look as if they couldn't beat a high school team. But....once the season rolls around....they do it to it! They come out looking like an NFL Pro team.
Old 09-03-2005   #50
Crank_It_Up
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
I think he said "We" because he's just used to saying "We". Everything's based on "team". He says "We won", "We did this right", and, when they lose, he inadvertantly says, "We (stunk, bit it, played like crap, were embarrassed, etc.)". I would rather see him say "we lost" than have him say "I won. I'm the greatest. I did it all. I'm the best ever. I am God." We can leave that attitude to Terrell I-Wins.
gotta agree with ya, well said

Old 09-03-2005   #51
THEFUTURE
All Pro

people need to quit bichin, its the preseason, and its not something that needs to be taken so seriously. if our biggest problem is David Carr, then we would be in a great position going into the season. we still have a defense that can't stop anyone, and a offensive line that is well pathetic. David Carr is fine, the last two games he hit a couple of good defensive teams, its part of the preseason, working the kinks out now rather than later
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read