Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-02-2005   #21
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
2. "...because it (the season opener) is the real thing,..."

And this wasn't? What part of tonight's game wasn't real enough for you, David? Two straight games of absolutley nothing. This isn't Madden 2006, you're playing for REAL in every game. Geez...........

Guess we're in for a Denver vs Chicago Super Bowl then, since they have the best records of these REAL preseason games.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #22
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
Guess we're in for a Denver vs Chicago Super Bowl then, since they have the best records of these REAL preseason games.
Man those Patriots suck. They got killed by the Giants yesterday. That team is definitely heading in the wrong direction .
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #23
Diehardtexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Would Peerless (spelling?) Price solve that problem?
Who's going to throw it to him?????????
Diehardtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #24
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardtexan
Who's going to throw it to him?????????
Timmy Chang was released by the Lions recently. He's 10x the QB Carr is.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #25
DFAN
Veteran

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! The honeymoon is finally over. Not saying the Texans will but if they finish under .500 this MB and this city will explode.

Good luck on the season.
Old 09-02-2005   #26
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFAN
Good luck on the season.
Thanks!
Exascor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #27
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

Default David Carr

You are right David needs to stop throwing his temper all over the field, from throwing the ball to the ground from a false start, to Spiking his helmet last year at the Battle Red game which in return gave the team a 15 yard penalty, he needs to be more calm a collective, he cannot and will not control every aspect of the game.
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-02-2005   #28
z0rpAn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to z0rpAn Send a message via MSN to z0rpAn Send a message via Yahoo to z0rpAn

3/5 completed passes, 2 to defenders and 4 yards of positive offense.
z0rpAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #29
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't help but think that if David Carr accepted everything with the calm and collected "mature" temperment that so many people seem to think he should have then people would start to complain that he lacked intensity. Warren Moon stayed close to comatose it seemed during most games and I don't recall ever hearing that listed among his assets. Just last season he was jumping all over the line's butt and people were in here talking about how that was a good thing. Now it's a team game and Carr showing his frustration is a negative.

I've got a problem with the way Carr has been playing lately just like the rest of you but I don't think his temper is the problem nor do I mind him showing it from time to time. If an offensive lineman can't take a display of frustration from his QB when he does something stupid then he has no business playing at this level.
Old 09-02-2005   #30
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I can't help but think that if David Carr accepted everything with the calm and collected "mature" temperment that so many people seem to think he should have then people would start to complain that he lacked intensity. Warren Moon stayed close to comatose it seemed during most games and I don't recall ever hearing that listed among his assets. Just last season he was jumping all over the line's butt and people were in here talking about how that was a good thing. Now it's a team game and Carr showing his frustration is a negative.
Yup, classic case of people just wanting to complain about something. Capers gets jumped on for not showing emotion, Carr gets it for not being icy. There are plenty of things to complain about but I guess some folks have to go around making complaints up anyway.
Old 09-02-2005   #31
Diehardtexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
Timmy Chang was released by the Lions recently. He's 10x the QB Carr is.
And the Tuna hasn't signed him yet???? Something smills FISHY in here.
Diehardtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #32
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck
Lightbulb

Quote:
This "light switch" mentality of "It's only pre-season and we'll do OK when it counts FOR REAL..." is just absurd. Absurd. It's why we can't get any better. Do you think the Patriots have a "It's only preseason. We're cool...." mentality? Do you think that's the way to approach any game, regardless of its bearing on the playoffs.

That kind of stuff is EXACTLY what got us tromped by the Browns at the end of last season, and we have picked up right where we left off. And everybody BUT the moderators of this board probably agrees with that. I'm just one of the few that throws caution to wind, ignores the risk of getting bullied by people like you, Lucky, in order to say what a lot of people are thinking.
it's not that it's a switch that the team has, to suddenly turn it on on 9/11, but rather the attitude that it's a learning experience and you have to take wins and losses the same way...THEY MEAN NOTHING. as for your "patriot games" theory, as it's been quoted NUMEROUS TIMES, the patriots went 0-4 last pre-season (or the superbowl winning season before that)...guess they found the elusive "switch" by opening day, lucky them, without it they wouldn't be in any position to considered a modern dynasty.

well if we technically did "pick up where we left off", where was this post after the denver game? or the oakland 'W'? or even the dallas debacle? how can we be picking up where we left off, when in fact, the texans have played football in the weeks between our game against the browns last season and our first games of the 2005 PRE-SEASON.

i wonder how someone feels bullied through a monitor? ...anyways, i wasn't aware you were elected to represent a certain percent of our MB and speak for them. it's a shame, i usually enjoy personal perspective rather than one speaking for many. thought monopoly's are no fun, *in my best frank oz* to the light speaking for yourself leads...
Old 09-02-2005   #33
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 35326 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
I never played organized football, but gp you should realize one thing - From day 1 of peewee league, these guys have had it ingrained in their head that football is a team game. Win together, lose together. Maybe one guy did screw up. But there's 11 guys on the field at any given time and you don't call anyone out and don't expect anyone to call themselves out on it. Let me make one more point - The media and the fans aren't Carr's boss. We don't know what he said to Capers, McNair, etc. I'm sure he knows he could have played better. It doesn't mean he has to crucify himself to a bunch of upset fans that can't get over that we haven't lost a real game yet.
Bravo. I was going to say something along those lines, but you worded it just fine. I think Carr knows he's screwing up at times, but yet I don't think it's all on him. One to throw, one to catch, and the rest to do their respective jobs assigned to them on the play.

And that's what leaves the Texans "scratching their heads" (as heard from a few players and coaches) as it seems to be multiple parts of the game that is not clicking.

Could take preseason pretty rough and yes we should see an improvement and focus, but these are the times the teams are apparently supposed to balance that "improvement" with what they've acquired in the draft and if they have the reserves, just in case.

We've seen flashes of what can happen when everything clicks... we've seen it when it all goes to sh.... Hopefully, this is the season it "click" just a little more often than it heads down the tubes.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #34
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime
You know... I really agree with this.. I think if he thought he had to compete for this position, he might show more improvmentin certain areas quicker.
WOW! I was absolutely bashed when I suggested this last year.

Competition is never a bad thing.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #35
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that there is probably nobody that feels worse than David over his performance these last 2 weeks. He seems to be very competitive. I'm never heard him dodge a question regarding poor performance anyway.

I really believe he will do whatever he has to do to play much better in Buffalo.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #36
Big78
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Big78

Quote:
Quit my crying?

Just because I didn't watch the game doesn't mean I can't comment, Lucky.

Way to go. You get the HOMER OF THE WEEK award for that comment.

I didn't have to watch the game because I knew the outcome before it started, pal.

Carr is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too comfortable in his position.

The offensive coordinator doesn't play on the field. He calls the plays, and the players execute. If the players execute, and it doesn't work....then it's the coordinator's fault. But face the music, Lucky: Our first team is NOT executing AT ALL.

Quit being a homer and acting like I'm some Cowboys fan who is trying to rip our team just to dig at Texans fans.

He needed to say, "I played bad. Period."

Be a man and admit you didn't play well. In my job, when I screw up, I look my boss and say it, "Man, I'm sorry but I screwed up."

10 time out of 10 it makes everything better.

For him to use the "we" and just spread around blame does NOT, and I repeat "DOES NOT" make anything better.

He needed to shut his trap on his teammates and just take a little responsibility. Guess that's too much to ask of our "star" QB who I frankly think is being a bad leader right now.

This "light switch" mentality of "It's only pre-season and we'll do OK when it counts FOR REAL..." is just absurd. Absurd. It's why we can't get any better. Do you think the Patriots have a "It's only preseason. We're cool...." mentality? Do you think that's the way to approach any game, regardless of its bearing on the playoffs.

That kind of c r a p is EXACTLY what got us tromped by the Browns at the end of last season, and we have picked up right where we left off. And everybody BUT the moderators of this board probably agrees with that. I'm just one of the few that throws caution to wind, ignores the risk of getting bullied by people like you, Lucky, in order to say what a lot of people are thinking.

So you can flame me, Lucky. You're the man with all 100,000 of your posts and blah-blah-blah. Quit bullying and just make your remarks and let them stand on their own instead of telling me that I'm sort of child for "crying" when I didn't even watch the game.

I didn't personally attack you, but you attacked me and so let's roll.
DUDE, calm....down, maybe he said we because, omg, it wasnt just him. i know its a crazy thought, but its true. so just calm down and dont assume every one agrees with u because u know what happens when u assume things.
Big78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #37
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I beleive carr played like crap. Just like everyone else. He's still a young QB and I understand that but what worries me is that he takes no ownership of his part in the loss...Im sick of whats going on however I beleive this season will give us the answer to whether or not Carr will stay #1. I guess we will see
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #38
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he said "We" because he's just used to saying "We". Everything's based on "team". He says "We won", "We did this right", and, when they lose, he inadvertantly says, "We (stunk, bit it, played like crap, were embarrassed, etc.)". I would rather see him say "we lost" than have him say "I won. I'm the greatest. I did it all. I'm the best ever. I am God." We can leave that attitude to Terrell I-Wins.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #39
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
From the game story on houstontexans.com, at the end of the story.........

...Of the loss, Carr said the players must learn from it and alter their approach when they begin preparations for their Week 1 opponent, the Buffalo Bills.

“Next week, we really have to get things going, because it is the real thing,” he said. “We have to make sure we are on top of our stuff and come out and do what we are supposed to do.”

------------------------------------------

1. "...we really have to get things going...."

Really? By saying "we," you must mean "I," don't you? Take your own medicine, David.

2. "...because it (the season opener) is the real thing,..."

And this wasn't? What part of tonight's game wasn't real enough for you, David? Two straight games of absolutley nothing. This isn't Madden 2006, you're playing for REAL in every game. Geez...........

3. "...we have to make sure we are on top of our stuff...."

Uh.............................

4. "..and come out and do what we're supposed to do."

Yeah, we'll just turn it on like a light switch. No problem. It's only pre-season. These games don't count (they're only in your IMAGINATION). Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! I am the great and powerful Oz!!!

I went to a fantasy football draft tonight and didn't even bother to tape the game. Came home a few minutes ago, checked the message boards and was met with (SHOCK! GASP! SURPRISE!) a second-straight game of complete failure by what appears to be David Carr and the first team offense. Once again, from what I've read on this board, the second teamers save us from complete skunking.

Either Capers and crew need to be fired before the season even begins, or Capers needs to send a message and bench Carr for Ragone on opening weekend. Oh, but that wouldn't happen. This is why I can't stand the NFL sometimes: Coaches don't do what they should. Carr ought to be benched to send a signal to Carr and the other slackers.

You gettin' paid, bro. Deliver the goods. Ragone went over to Europe and worked his arse off. He desperately wants to play and he's showing it. You're just prancing around and pouting. No more lobbing it up to AJ, David. You gotta actually be on time, accurate, and prove you can be a multi-talented QB.
If you watched the game last night or listen to it on the radio they even said. "Before all you Ragone supporters come crawling out of the wood work. You should know that now that the third string defense is in the game the speed of the game is much much slower."

They were basically predicting people would say this.

This is just preseason. I have said this many many times. Neither the coaches nor the starting players give a crap about preseason. They are not giving 100%.

With that said I am a little worried about some of the performances but I will reserve judgement until after 4 regular season games. That is when we should be able to tell what kind of a team we have.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005   #40
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just because I didn't watch the game doesn't mean I can't comment, Lucky.
Comment all you want to about a game you did not watch. No one is stopping you. Just as I can comment on your comments. We're free to be you & me. Let's throw caution to the CB, er wind.

If I call you a crybaby, then I'm insulting you. And that is wrong. If I claim that you are crying about something in your posts, that's a commentary. My problem with your post wasn't in your analysis of the team (though you'd have more credibility if you had actually seen the team play). It was in parsing quotes and spinning intentions that aren't there.

Come on, the preseason's over. Let's put this behind us. Anyone who's a fan of DD is allright by me. Time for a

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read