Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-30-2005   #1
Haams
All Pro

Default How 'bout dat boy Sloan Thomas

I'm glad to see Sloan producing this pre-season. He's leading the team in reception yards, second to AJ in receptions, and unless I'm mistaken - he missed the first game. I've always been a fan of Sloan's and I think he has a lot of unrealized potential (of course I'm biased 'cause I've seen him blow past people plenty of time at Darryl K.) I've alway's thought he would make a good 3 guy, but I'm starting to wonder, can he be our 2? He's got good size, good speed, and good hands. He doesn't have the experience of Bradford or the speed of Mathis, but I believe his hands are much better than either.
Haams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #2
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with you!! I'm am totally pumped from what I have seen from Sloan and I knew he could do it. I hope he can make the 53 man roster because I believe he will produce for this team!!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #3
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I disagree..If we need hands we can turn to armstrong. However the thing I beleive we need is speed. We never seem to be able to shake the CB's or safeties. I beleive with the addition of Mathis for speed at slot 2 we will have a better chance of getting AJ open and having Mathis able to break in case of double coverage on AJ.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

He seems to run good routes and his hands make up for poorly thrown balls. I've said all along that he is used to playing with a QB that throws lazers.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #5
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

He was the one player I took the time to get a picture of at the game.

Hope he's able to stick. If not, send him up this way.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #6
Haams
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
However the thing I beleive we need is speed.
He's definately not as fast as Mathis, but Sloan has decent speed, I believe he beat Roy Williams at the combine. The only thing with Mathis is can he run the route crrectly, and can he catch the ball. I'm excited to see 'cause if he can we got a weapon, but he hasn't proven to me that he can yet. I have a lot more confidence in Sloan at this point in their careers, but I've watched Sloan play a lot more. He was the only receiver at Texas who you could count on to catch every possible ball. (Roy was much better, but you'll remember he would occasionally drop the easy catches.)
Old 08-30-2005   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I disagree..If we need hands we can turn to armstrong. However the thing I beleive we need is speed. We never seem to be able to shake the CB's or safeties. I beleive with the addition of Mathis for speed at slot 2 we will have a better chance of getting AJ open and having Mathis able to break in case of double coverage on AJ.

I couldnt disagree more . The NFL isnt Madden . Speed isnt everything to a reciever . Thomas is a much better fit for the Texans offense at this point in time than Mathis . Thomas just has a knack for getting open , his speed is adequate and hands better than most give him credit for . He was the #2 reciever @ UT opposite a great reciever in Roy Williams . He understands what is expected of the position and how to exploit what the opposing defense does to stop the #1 option .
With so many zone and cover two defenses in todays NFL blazing speed will only take you so far . The ability to find the soft spot in those zone coverages is more important , something that Bradford another speedy player has yet yo figure out .
I am by no means bashing Mathis , i think he has HUGE potential , just at this point in time he isnt a polished enough reciever to be the #2 option .
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-30-2005   #8
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I see and respect your opinion. However I still beleive we need speed. I beleive that is what we got mathis for. I was taught a little lesson at Clear Lake H.S. (Anyone can learn to catch not everyone can learn to run faster.)

Last edited by Texas; 08-30-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #9
Haams
All Pro

Quote:
(Anyone can learn to catch not everyone can learn to run.)
That's what the 'roids are for.
Old 08-30-2005   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Agree'd . Speed Cant be taught
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #11
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I see and respect your opinion. However I still beleive we need speed. I beleive that is what we got mathis for. I was taught a little lesson at Clear Lake H.S. (Anyone can learn to catch not everyone can learn to run faster.)

There are 2 different types of speed. Track speed and football speed. Jerry Rice was by far not the fastest player but is NOW THE GREATEST RECEIVER to ever play the game.

I agree that speed can not be taught but being a great football player can't be taught either.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was taught a little lesson at Clear Lake H.S. (Anyone can learn to catch not everyone can learn to run faster.)
I've learned something from watching football for a long time:

For every Jerry Rice, Steve Largent, or Marvin Harrison, there are probably a 100 Willie Gault's.

Last edited by aj.; 08-30-2005 at 06:14 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #13
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

i like sloan but i like mathis better. i do hope sloan makes the team though
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #14
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

hey in my mind armstrong is the guy to cut...he might have the best hands but that doesn't matter if you can't stay healthy...armstrong hasn't played a down this preseason because of injuries...i'd rather see sloan come in and play and open some eyes
Old 08-30-2005   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Armstrong has had his first injury and it just happens to have kept him out of the preseason. If they cut him because of that.. its gonna be a bad move. Armstrong is great and has had no real injury issues in the past (i dont think)
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #16
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default Speed

Thomas was the fastest of the 3 talented receivers from UT that included
Roy Williams--here is his 40 yd time against some top picks this year--

Braylon Edwards... 4.45
Sloan Thomas...4.55
Mike Williams...4.56

....so, I don't think speed is an issue here--Mathis 4.28 is the exception,
not the norm
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Thomas is quick.. that was his selling point. Thomas did his cone drills in a faster time than Roy Williams.. thats what got him noticed. Speed wasnt necessarily his strong point.. though really he isnt slow.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #18
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

mathis is a FREAK, that kind of speed is unnatural. glad he's on our team!
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #19
SS LOVE
waterboy

Default AJ said it best!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I've learned something from watching football for a long time:

For every Jerry Rice, Steve Largent, or Marvin Harrison, there are probably a 100 Willie Gault's.
It couldn't be said any better. If you've played football you understand that statement. Perfect A.J.

Last edited by SS LOVE; 08-30-2005 at 09:39 PM. Reason: misspoke
SS LOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
Thomas was the fastest of the 3 talented receivers from UT that included
Roy Williams--here is his 40 yd time against some top picks this year--

Braylon Edwards... 4.45
Sloan Thomas...4.55
Mike Williams...4.56

....so, I don't think speed is an issue here--Mathis 4.28 is the exception,
not the norm
Not that this really matters (because IMO differences of tenths of a second are vastly overrated), but where are you getting your numbers from because it was reported Roy Williams ran sub 4.4's at his pro-day and his NFL.com prospect profile has 4.48?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read