Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Who do you beleive is a better quarterback overall?
Matt Leinhart 55 70.51%
Vincent Young 23 29.49%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2005   #1
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas
Default Leinhart or Young

I'd have to say Young
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #2
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

2 National Championships to 0 wins vs. OU

Leinhart

(My UT fan side) Leinhart has had some better players around him, but you cant argue with results...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #3
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

I, personally, like QBs that can pass.
Exascor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #4
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Leinart is the better QB. Vince Young is the better QB for Texas' offense.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll take Omar Jacobs over the both of them. He's a top athlete who has QB skills.
Old 08-30-2005   #6
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
2 National Championships to 0 wins vs. OU

Leinhart

(My UT fan side) Leinhart has had some better players around him, but you cant argue with results...
You can when it's a team result and you're comparing individuals.
DomDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #7
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Out of those two I'd say Leinhart is the better QB. If your talkin about who'll be the best NFL QB I'd say Chris Leak will be a very good pro.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-30-2005   #8
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomDavis
You can when it's a team result and you're comparing individuals.
I guess than you can throw out all stats cause all stats are dependent on a team effort. WR catches ball from QB but WR doesnt catch ball if he doesnt get open. WR doesnt catch ball if QB is on his back. WR doesnt catch ball if the other WRs dont run their routes to stretch the defense. O-line doesnt keep QB on feet if RB cant run. RB cant run if O-line doesnt get their there hat on someone. If RB doesnt run then playaction doesnt work and QB doesnt have enough time, etc. The indiviual is vital to the success of the team so you can compare team success when comparing individuals or it would be pointless to look at stats at all...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 08-30-2005   #9
Fldvldog
Veteran

Omar Jacobs is the best QB in the nation...MARK MY WORDS...
Fldvldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #10
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Vince Young and I'm a UT fan but I've got to go with Leinart because he's the better QB. Vince is a phenomenal athlete but as a passer I have to go with Leinart.
Old 08-30-2005   #11
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
I'll take Omar Jacobs over the both of them. He's a top athlete who has QB skills.

Agreed.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #12
Panther5407
All Pro

Leinhart anyday for a quaterback. If I wanted a runningback, Young is my man. But best of all my team has a combo by the name of Reggie McNeil. Some of Youngs running plus Leinharts throwing and decision making.
Old 08-30-2005   #13
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I just really like Young after seeing last years game against Michigan
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #14
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

Quote:
I guess than you can throw out all stats cause all stats are dependent on a team effort. WR catches ball from QB but WR doesnt catch ball if he doesnt get open. WR doesnt catch ball if QB is on his back. WR doesnt catch ball if the other WRs dont run their routes to stretch the defense. O-line doesnt keep QB on feet if RB cant run. RB cant run if O-line doesnt get their there hat on someone. If RB doesnt run then playaction doesnt work and QB doesnt have enough time, etc. The indiviual is vital to the success of the team so you can compare team success when comparing individuals or it would be pointless to look at stats at all...
He's part of the team, not the whole team. No stat can tell everything. Obviously a quarterback is dependent on the players around him for his own ratings, much like the team is dependent on all its players for their record. But, individual statistics are more reflective of a quarterback than W/L record. Neither one is perfect, but individual statistics are better. You can have the best quarterback in the world and he can he held down in W/L if the coaching and other players aren't good. Texas has had plenty of its very talented quarterbacks over the years... none seem to beat OU or win the national championship. Sooner or later, it's time to realize that it's the system and the coaching, not the individual players.

And McNeal isn't close to Leinart in decision-making.
Old 08-30-2005   #15
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

You can plug McNeal and Young into USC's system and they're going to do well.

Plug McNeal or Leinart into Texas' system and they get killed.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #16
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomDavis
Texas has had plenty of its very talented quarterbacks over the years... none seem to beat OU or win the national championship. Sooner or later, it's time to realize that it's the system and the coaching, not the individual players.
I find it hard to blame Mack Brown when Young loses the ball on a QB sneak to get a first down last year or a TD the year before...

Old 08-30-2005   #17
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Plug McNeal or Leinart into Texas' system and they get killed.
Haha, do what? McNeal is just as fast if not faster than Young, he just doesnt have near as much talent around him. Even with that McNeal only threw 4 INT's to Young's 11, so that has to say something about his passing ability.
Old 08-30-2005   #18
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Young is a great athlete who plays QB, while Leinhart is a great college QB (2 national championships prove that). Whether either become superstars at the next level, we will have to wait to see, cause like several have already mentioned there are better QB's in college this year than those two.

Oh by the way I selected Leinhart.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #19
DomDavis
Veteran

McNeal has comparable speed to Young, but he doesn't have close to the vision. Young has vision and cutbacks that most running backs would kill to have, much less quarterbacks. It's a lot more than straight-line speed with Young.

Quote:
I find it hard to blame Mack Brown when Young loses the ball on a QB sneak to get a first down last year or a TD the year before...
I don't. One of Texas' primary problems over the years has been the lack of a pocket presence from their quarterbacks. One of the knocks on both Mock and Simms was that they didn't seem to tuck away the ball when the defenses approached. That's a skill that can be taught and drilled into players, and when one school consistently has the same problems but with different players, you have to look at the people preparing them.

FYI, I do think Leinart is probably the better quarterback right now... not sure if it'll be that way in a couple of months, but for now, I agree. That said, I agree because of his statistics and individual performance, not the fact that he's won one or two (depending on what poll you use) championships. Matt Mauck, Craig Krynzel and Tee Martin are national champions too... doesn't prove they are/were great quarterbacks.
Old 08-31-2005   #20
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Tough question there. But i will say this, Ive seen Young play alot more than Leinart so, it's hard to be unbiased in this question. Young reminds me of a Vick type QB, great runner, average passer. Leinert is a great passer, but not as mobile as young. either way, should be a good year in college football to evaluate prospects.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read