Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2005   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Give examples of "bad play calling"

I keep finding posts in the latest threads where, out of all the complaints of penalties, bad defense, bad offense, and everything else, you also see the play calling complaint.

OK, time to call some of you out. In the Dallas game, give some specific examples of where the actual play calling was bad.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #2
Beer and Metal
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20683 Beer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respected

How about after the Dallas penalty, the Texans had the ball, 1st and 5. Did we take a shot downfield? IMO, that would have been a great time to do so.
Beer and Metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't like the 4 DD runs in a row at the goal-line against Denver, although it is preseason. Don't think I've had a problem with anything since then. I was happy to see Carr getting protection and taking a little more time to throw deeper (not real deap, just deeper--give the receivers time to actually run a route) against Dallas, but balls were dropped and then Carr started throwing crud balls. Can't fault the play calling for that. It also looked to me like more blitz packages were called against Dallas, but that could just be my imagination. I know they're holding back a lot 'till the season starts anyway.

I still think this team has a chance to be good this year--maybe even really good. I thing the offense is showing improvement in places it most needed to and I don't see Carr and the receivers continuing to screw up like that and I have faith in this defense, at least in the long run.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Going long on 1st and 5? Doesn't that fall into the 'play calling is too predictable' category?

Last edited by Marcus; 08-29-2005 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-29-2005   #5
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 128424 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

No more so than dive up the middle on goal line/short yardage.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #6
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Going long on 1st and 5? Doesn't that fall into the 'play calling is too predictable' category?
...only if you are known for doing this, which the Texans are not...could
have been an element of suprise
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

How about the repeated quick throw out to the wide receiver? One time is fine, but we did at least 2-3 times on back-to-back drives. The first time it worked, the following times it failed miserably.

How about three straight passes beginning on first down at almost mid-field, that resulted in squat.

How about the quick slants that the Cowboys were ready for and they were just pounding our receivers when our receivers made their breaks?
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2005   #8
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO there has been no bad playcalling this preseason. We have taken some shots down the field, ran a reverse or two, and spread the ball to different WR's. Palmer is not going to run every play in the playbook during the preseason. Why would we want to show other teams all or most of our plays in the preseason? Just gives them more to plan for when facing us in the regular season when it counts...
Old 08-29-2005   #9
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default preseason/regular season

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
IMO there has been no bad playcalling this preseason. We have taken some shots down the field, ran a reverse or two, and spread the ball to different WR's. Palmer is not going to run every play in the playbook during the preseason. Why would we want to show other teams all or most of our plays in the preseason? Just gives them more to plan for when facing us in the regular season when it counts...
In our first 3 seasons, we've played in the regular season just like the
preseason--what are we holding back that should have produced different
results during the regular season? Too, many teams use the preseason to
experiment/refine new plays and get their timing down, as well as evaluate
players....just because you 'show' something during the preseason, you can
always disquise it later by using it from a different formation-different down-
different personnel, etc. IMO, the important point is to get the play to the
point it will have a chance of working in 'crunch' time.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
How about the repeated quick throw out to the wide receiver? One time is fine, but we did at least 2-3 times on back-to-back drives. The first time it worked, the following times it failed miserably.
Well, if it worked the 1st time, but didn't work the 2nd and 3rd, then you've found out that their D has tightened up their coverage, but then you don't know that until you try it a 2nd or 3rd time, right?
Quote:
How about three straight passes beginning on first down at almost mid-field, that resulted in squat.
What? How does throwing on 1st down bad play calling? You lost me there.
Quote:
How about the quick slants that the Cowboys were ready for and they were just pounding our receivers when our receivers made their breaks?
I saw quick slants, I saw running plays, I saw the ball throw deep downfield, I saw passes to the TE. What's the problem?.
Just because plays didn't work due to sloppy execution, or because of penalties, or in some cases the D called the right counter . . . . . does NOT mean the play calling was bad.

Seriously, I can't think of a more lame thing to blame.
Old 08-29-2005   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have to agree with that. The "Now" route seems to have jumped the shark. Hopefully, the Texans have a play off this that will catch the Bills corners trying to sneak into the backfield.
Old 08-29-2005   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I shouldnt even bother to post in this thread.. but..

i just wanted to say that im LMAO at anyone who complains about the playcalling in a preseason game.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah the quick throw to the WR is pretty much what has lead me to believe nothing different has been done to the passing game.

What do I know though, it is just preseason and I am just a fan.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #14
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

I could be wrong, but it appears to me that the "Now Route" is a check off at the line by Carr. If it is then it isn't really a playcalling issue but an audible issue. Still the OC's turf though.
Exascor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

It's PRESEASON!!

The coaching staff has an agenda. They have things they need to do and find out. For example, giving the ball to Hollings last week on third and short and again on 4th and short (the coaches are testing Holling to see if he can run strong in those situations)... Many of the short, quick passes are called to allow the offense to get some experience running those plays (many of them weren't in the playbook last year).

Playcalling in the preseason isn't about tricking the defense, it's about player evaluation and team preparation for the season. It seems that the most critical fans are usually also the most ignorant.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #16
Holden135
Veteran

I don't think the preseason is a good place to look for good and bad play calling. In my opinion a lot of the plays called are to get a good look at a player in a certain situation than it is to beat the defense. I do however believe Palmer is a horrible play caller. How many times did we run a play action play on third and long last year? You aren't fooling anyone doing that. They are playing the pass all the way and if you run they are confident enough to stop the ball before the first down. We have a problem protecting the qb so why on an obvious pass play would you waste a few seconds running play action and pretty much start the play with the dline and lb's already in your backfield.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #17
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought our playcalling with the firstteam in has been pretty good. In the denver game when we ran 4 times on the goalline and didn't score, I just think we were trying robaire at FB. I don't think in a real game we'd run 4 runs like that. JMO
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005   #18
rudy
Rookie

Default change of off. cord.

texans need to reevaluate the off. cord.
some of those plays seam to abc ish. we need some pizazz. does anybody else feel the same.
rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005   #19
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Already a fire palmer Thread. The season hasnt even started yet. Have mercy.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005   #20
rudy
Rookie

dude look @ our plays that are being read by the def. of opponents. we do have the talent
rudy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read