Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-30-2005   #21
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I think the idea that we are a "ball control" team gets over-played. We run a lot and, when we do pass, it's a lot of short passes and dump-offs (mostly). What choice have we had? Our O-line has been great at run blocking and crud for pass blocking for the sum total of its existence. Plus, we have DD who runs well and sucks up dump-off passes for positive yardage. I think they're trying to build an all around well-balanced team, but it's still in the making because some pieces have inevitably not worked out--like Seth Wand and Benny Joppru getting hurt every time he walks onto a field. It LOOKS like our O-line will be improved this year. Maybe we'll see more scoring and less leaning on the defense to keep it close. I can't help hoping.

Oh, and Carr is going to be just fine. Johnson looked foolish against Dallas too, but I sure don't see people calling him a waisted pick.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #22
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
Well then IMHO we wasted our 2002 #1 draft pick.
Let's see:

Terry Bradshaw (pittsburgh wasted a high pick on him, too?)
John Elway (denver/Baltimore wasted a high pick on him?)
Troy Aikman (wasted pick?)
Steve McNair (wasted pick?)
Ben Rothlisburger (wasted pick?)
Phil Simms (wasted pick?)
Bob Griese (wasted pick?)
Mike Vick (wasted pick?)

above is a list off the top of my head of high first round draft picks (QBs) who had success mainly in run dominated systems.

Dan Marino
Jim Kelly
Dan Fouts
Dante Culpepper
Donovan McNabb
Peyton Manning
Warren Moon (highly recruited from CFL)

above is a list of high first round draft picks (QBs) who had success in pass first systems. Joe Montana and Steve Young actually played in a very balanced offense but I couldn't in good faith call it run dominated. So, I'm leaving them off both lists
dalemurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #23
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
Let's see:

Terry Bradshaw (pittsburgh wasted a high pick on him, too?)
John Elway (denver/Baltimore wasted a high pick on him?)
Troy Aikman (wasted pick?)
Steve McNair (wasted pick?)
Ben Rothlisburger (wasted pick?)
Phil Simms (wasted pick?)
Bob Griese (wasted pick?)
Mike Vick (wasted pick?)

above is a list off the top of my head of high first round draft picks (QBs) who had success mainly in run dominated systems.

Dan Marino
Jim Kelly
Dan Fouts
Dante Culpepper
Donovan McNabb
Peyton Manning
Warren Moon (highly recruited from CFL)

above is a list of high first round draft picks (QBs) who had success in pass first systems. Joe Montana and Steve Young actually played in a very balanced offense but I couldn't in good faith call it run dominated. So, I'm leaving them off both lists
common thread---all of those players were on teams that put a priority
on scoring points and they all had good passing stats/running stats--
winning teams, so what exactly is your point??
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #24
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
common thread---all of those players were on teams that put a priority
on scoring points and they all had good passing stats/running stats--
winning teams, so what exactly is your point??

My point is that teams that are run-dominate can make very good use of quarterbacks as well. Not only does history show that a balanced or run-based gameplan is usually superior in the NFL, but also quarterbacks are just as important and valuable in those systems.

Troy Aikman never threw more than 23 Tds in one season yet he was a vital piece to the three superbowls, he was the number one overall pick, he'll soon be in the hall of fame, and I don't believe he was a wasted pick. The previous assertion was that if we're going to be a running team then we wasted our pick on David Carr.
Old 08-30-2005   #25
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Further comparison between Carr and Aikman:

Aikman's 3rd year: 7.6 yards per attempt, 11 TDs, 10 ints... in 12 games.
Carr's 3rd year: 7.6 yards per attempt, 16 TDs, 14 ints... in 16 games.

The key to Carr's value isn't whether he throws for 4500 yards and 30tds, it is whether he is respected by the opposing defense, can convert 3rd downs, make plays when he has the opportunity, and make consistantly good decisions.
Old 08-30-2005   #26
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The key to Carr's value isn't whether he throws for 4500 yards and 30tds, it is whether he is respected by the opposing defense, can convert 3rd downs, make plays when he has the opportunity, and make consistantly good decisions.

I couldnt have said it better myself
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #27
tsip
Hall of Fame

Quote:

This team's passing offense disappeared the last half of 2004, something
no team can be expected to win from. Who's fault? Yes, we need a lot
from Carr--the QBs you mentioned all had great supporting cast, meaning
Carr obviously can not do it by himself.

Too, I don't agree with the concept of limiting our options down to clock
control and defense alone---we don't want to be predictable. The last 2
Super Bowls have been 'shootouts,' with each team pulling out all stops
to win. No, we don't have to pass for a zillion yards or light up the season
with 100 tds but-and I believe this is important (all the QB's you mention
could do this)-when needed to win, we've got to be able to find ways to
score.
Sponsored links
Old 08-30-2005   #28
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
Well then IMHO we wasted our 2002 #1 draft pick.
Congratulations for making what is possibly the silliest post I've ever read...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #29
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The last 2
Super Bowls have been 'shootouts,' with each team pulling out all stops
to win. No, we don't have to pass for a zillion yards or light up the season
with 100 tds but-and I believe this is important (all the QB's you mention
could do this)-when needed to win, we've got to be able to find ways to
score.
24-21 is a shoot out?
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #30
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm
Congratulations for making what is possibly the silliest post I've ever read...
It was a joke about only needing 3 points. I've been a Carr supporter since day one. Lighten up. Everybody on this particular bb seems to be ready to slam anyone they perceive to be against their own beliefs.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #31
z0rpAn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to z0rpAn Send a message via MSN to z0rpAn Send a message via Yahoo to z0rpAn

well on the bright side of things, I will enjoy this picture I found at nfl.com for a while...

just look at bledsoes face
z0rpAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #32
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I am going to go along with the people who are urging the fact that its PRE-season. We are not going to show anything until regular season. At least nothing that will really detail how are season will go. You wont see much from the starters. The only people you will see doing there best and giving there all is the rookies and vets who are struggling for position. The buffalo game will be the measuring stick for our season IMO.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #33
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon
Yes, PRE-season. Nuttin' counts. But I am a little concerned (and maybe it isn't warranted) that we are scoring field goals and no TD's. I'd like to see some Texans in the end zone. I agree, though, let's wait before we get concerned too much. Buffalo will be the measuring stick.
I dissagree I don't think one game will be a measuring stick. I think the first 4 games will tell you where we are at as a team.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #34
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capster67
I know I may be an exception, but my motto is always strive for excellence: preseason, regular season, post season. I will never understand folks who think we can go through the motions and feel okay about a losing record (preseason or regular season) at any time. If we don't estalish a winning identity now (preseason) I have little confidence that we will in the regular season. Right now this team has the look of a 5-11 team.
Here is the problem. If you truely strive for excellence in the preseason you actually make it more difficult to achieve excellence in the regular season because of injuries(players are more likely to get injured at the beginning of the season), plus you give your regular season opponents some good game film to gameplan off of.

Regular season is about not getting hurt and evaluating individuals.
Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. The coaches act like they are trying to win but trust me they don't give a crap. The coaches actually overplay how much they care about preseason results because people are paying to attend the games.

So relax and enjoy the show. This is going to be our best season yet.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #35
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well to me the organization is kind of worried also. You can hear it in Casserly's voice when he talks to the announcers in the second half.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #36
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
Here is the problem. If you truely strive for excellence in the preseason you actually make it more difficult to achieve excellence in the regular season because of injuries(players are more likely to get injured at the beginning of the season), plus you give your regular season opponents some good game film to gameplan off of.

I still don't understand why people think that in preseason you don't show any plays because teams will be able to gameplan against you. If that thinking was true then you could never put your offense on the field in regular season because the team you play next week would have good game film of you to gameplan off of. If anything we run alot of basic plays to evaluate players.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #37
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I just don't think we show everything in the book during preseason. Why give Buffalo an advantage by showing everything we got. When reg season starts it's a different story, you want to use more plays because you want to win. You can't help if other teams see that and gameplan against it.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #38
tsip
Hall of Fame

Default ...jeez...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17
24-21 is a shoot out?
OK, let me spell it out for you--both teams never quit trying to score in
this game vs 'sitting on the ball.' There were 45 1st downs, 6 Tds, and
700 yds of offense. Certainly, turnovers were a factor against the Eagles-
4 vs 1 for the Pats. Penalties were not a major issue, below 100yds combined
for both teams.

This was definitely not a 'you don't score, we don't score game.' But,
humor yourself and call it what you want---I'm not so bored that I'll make
a 'big' deal out of your choice/opinion.
Old 08-31-2005   #39
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK, let me spell it out for you--both teams never quit trying to score in
this game vs 'sitting on the ball.' There were 45 1st downs, 6 Tds, and
700 yds of offense. Certainly, turnovers were a factor against the Eagles-
4 vs 1 for the Pats. Penalties were not a major issue, below 100yds combined
for both teams.

This was definitely not a 'you don't score, we don't score game.' But,
humor yourself and call it what you want---I'm not so bored that I'll make
a 'big' deal out of your choice/opinion.
If you have 45 first downs and only 6 tds Then you ARE slowing down the tempo and trying to sit on the ball. The amount of yards is irrelevant. It wasnt Colts v Chiefs throwing to the endzone every three plays, it was line up and ram it down your throats until you fall over football. Do I need to spell it out some more?
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005   #40
ROYDESTROY
Rookie

Smile

Quote:

I agree but leadership and accuracy were two of Aikman's key traits as well.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read