Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-28-2005   #1
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Take a deep breath, Texan Nation...

...Cuz it was only Preseason @ Dallas.

Hope some of you guys don't think this same stuff will happen on 9/11. Team is too well coached to let the same bs happen in BUF. Carr said that they weren't gonna show anything for Buffalo to key on for opening day, so don't read too much into it.

I know the game was ugly, but look at the positives for right now. Lookin at negatives in preseason only makes things worse. We're not the 49ers or Browns, we're not gonna go 4-12 this season, so stay optimistic and be ready for Buffalo on Sept. 11th.

Too many penalties,bad timing on some pass plays look bad, but wouldn't u rather it happen now, than in 2 weeks?

How 'bout the O-Line's job of protecting Carr for the most part, or the 1st team D? Not much, but they did pretty good I thought. What about the running game? See what I mean...my entire point is..when you watch preseason games, only look at positives, as negatives will only stress you out.

Peace!

- Tha Shark
Old 08-28-2005   #2
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
Even if it is still preseason...... We are supppose to be a playoff team this year. people of houston have that expectation.

i would say a majority of casual fans dont have that expectation. as for the more informed fans who religiously pay attention to the draft, free agency, and attend message boards...the expectations are sometimes laughable. we are not a 15-1 team....nor are we a 1-15 team.

dont expect playoffs...expect improvment.
Old 08-28-2005   #3
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

In other news, Indy is 0-4 in preseason, Chicago is 3-1, Arizona is 3-0, Mcgahee rushed 21 times for 61 yards in his last game,
and Brett Favre was 9-21 for 69 yards. Just a thought.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #4
William.carter
Veteran

Default Impressed by Mathis

I was impressed by the plays mathis was able to make and on the plays he wasn't. Dallas' D was showing his a lot of much deserved respect. He even put a big block on a guy giving AJ an extra 10-15 yards of room. This kid is playing big. He will be a factor in our offense his rookie year. I think he'll have more precense than Bradford because he's shown his speed, strength, and hands. He is also a credible return threat. That's the type of flexibility that makes the roster IMHO.

What i would like to see, and unfortunately probably won't get the chance, is Sloan Thomas and Devin Pitts gets some reps with a QB that can actually throw a catachble ball their way. I think they have the tools and talent to make plays they just haven't had the opportunity to show it in the preseason. If they don't make the cut I hope the show up on the practice squad.
William.carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #5
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
In other news, Indy is 0-4 in preseason, Chicago is 3-1, Arizona is 3-0, Mcgahee rushed 21 times for 61 yards in his last game,
So the Bears and Cardinals are gonna be in the NFC championship?

BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #6
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
last year the teams that went to the SB were both 1- 3 in the pre season
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #7
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Thats why its called PREseason
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2005   #8
Demon
Rookie

Yes, PRE-season. Nuttin' counts. But I am a little concerned (and maybe it isn't warranted) that we are scoring field goals and no TD's. I'd like to see some Texans in the end zone. I agree, though, let's wait before we get concerned too much. Buffalo will be the measuring stick.
Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #9
Diehardtexan
Veteran

It's better to get after them now and let them know that we don't take mediocrity laying down.
I think it's good that they sucked this week, that way they know that they should get their act together. We will see how they shape up on the final game of the preseason. That should let us how they respond to criticism. Also if I'm Palmer and Caper, I wouldn't get comfortable behind the wheel.
Diehardtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #10
Capster67
Veteran

Default Tradition (Pre & Post)

I know I may be an exception, but my motto is always strive for excellence: preseason, regular season, post season. I will never understand folks who think we can go through the motions and feel okay about a losing record (preseason or regular season) at any time. If we don't estalish a winning identity now (preseason) I have little confidence that we will in the regular season. Right now this team has the look of a 5-11 team.
Capster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #11
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Look at what is working.

Our running game is looking better than it ever has. DD averaged 4.9 per carry and Morency averaged 5.0.

Our return game looks like its going to be electric. Special teams are gonna be a strength of this team. And if our running game is working well..we may actually be able to do something with our good field position this year.

Our defense looked good. You can say what ya want about them and what they did wrong.. but our first string defense did a heck of a job and stuffed Dallas on multiple occaisons. I saw alot of tackles for a loss..and good pressure on bledsoe.

Looks to me like we have all the makings here of a postseason team. A running game that can control the clock. A great defense. And special teams capable of taking it to the house, or at least getting us good field position. Thats the total package.. and we arent even seeing half of what we are capable of yet.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #12
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capster67
I know I may be an exception, but my motto is always strive for excellence: preseason, regular season, post season. I will never understand folks who think we can go through the motions and feel okay about a losing record (preseason or regular season) at any time. If we don't estalish a winning identity now (preseason) I have little confidence that we will in the regular season. Right now this team has the look of a 5-11 team.
Indy is 0-4, so they're gonna go 3-13 i guess.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #13
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capster67
Nice post. Why have a preseason if you're going to give 'half effort?'
And, there is the scoring factor that Grid fails to mention. I thought you
had to out score the opponent to win--stupid me--guess all you need is
defense and clock control...7 pts by the 1st team in 3 games....I know,
they were only on the field for a few plays...
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #14
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default a little different

Quote:
Indy is 0-4, so they're gonna go 3-13 i guess.
big difference here--like the 1-3 Pats last year--is a history of winning and
going to the playoffs..
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Our running game is looking better than it ever has. DD averaged 4.9 per carry and Morency averaged 5.0..
For once we agree ...

If the Texans can continue to run the ball effectively they have a shot . They MUST stay out of 2nd-3rd and long or again we will see Carr struggle .The running game is of utmost importance to the success of this team . So far .... So good

Quote:
Our return game looks like its going to be electric. Special teams are gonna be a strength of this team. And if our running game is working well..we may actually be able to do something with our good field position this year
The Texans special teams do look to be very good ....Winning the field position battle is a big part of winning on the scoreboard .... again we go back to the running game . Probably the key to their whole season .

Quote:
Our defense looked good. You can say what ya want about them and what they did wrong.. but our first string defense did a heck of a job and stuffed Dallas on multiple occaisons.
Dallas going 0-9 on 3rd down was a nice change ..... lets hope they can continue that trend .
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #16
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by William.carter
I was impressed by the plays mathis was able to make and on the plays he wasn't. Dallas' D was showing his a lot of much deserved respect. He even put a big block on a guy giving AJ an extra 10-15 yards of room. This kid is playing big. He will be a factor in our offense his rookie year. I think he'll have more precense than Bradford because he's shown his speed, strength, and hands. He is also a credible return threat. That's the type of flexibility that makes the roster IMHO.

What i would like to see, and unfortunately probably won't get the chance, is Sloan Thomas and Devin Pitts gets some reps with a QB that can actually throw a catachble ball their way. I think they have the tools and talent to make plays they just haven't had the opportunity to show it in the preseason. If they don't make the cut I hope the show up on the practice squad.
could not agree more. mathis has been better than i could have dreamed. he's got speed, blocks really well and can play special teams
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
defense and clock control
your still stuck on the half effort thing. ill spell it out one more time.

WE -- DO -- NOT -- PLAY -- TO -- WIN -- IN -- PRESEASON

we are evaluating and working on rythme.

You seem to be more interested in scoring than defense and clock control. Cant win games without both. Capers puts more emphasis on defense and clock control than scoring. Nothing wrong with that. You can win a game with 3 points.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #18
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
defense and clock control...7 pts by the 1st team in 3 games....I know,
they were only on the field for a few plays...

It's not half-effort. However, the primary concern isn't winning the game. Aside from the obvious (Carr and DD playing very little to risk injury), here are some examples:

1. against Oakland, we were driving in the 2nd quarter and had a 3rd and 1. Hollings was given the ball twice and didn't get the 1st. Now, the effort and desire by the coaches and players was to get the first and score some points. However, instead of putting Davis in or even Morency or running a bootleg, Qb sneak, etc... The coaches wanted to give Hollings an opportunity to see if he could make something happen in short yardage. They did it again against Dallas on the 2 point conversion... He'll be cut next week.

2. Against Oakland, Wand played RG and was horrible. They left him there for three quarters. In a regular season game, he'd have been yanked in the 1st- though they probably wouldn't have even tried that in the regular season. But, in the preseason, they wanted to evaluate him there or teach him something, etc...

3. Tony Banks!- he was playing in the first quarter against Oakland and Denver
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #19
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You seem to be more interested in scoring than defense and clock control. Cant win games without both. Capers puts more emphasis on defense and clock control than scoring. Nothing wrong with that. You can win a game with 3 points.
Well then IMHO we wasted our 2002 #1 draft pick.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #20
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
Well then IMHO we wasted our 2002 #1 draft pick.
now that is pretty rediculous.

the coaching strategy with our team is to limit points, and control the ball.

and in order to control the ball you need an effective offense that CAN score and CAN get you a crucial first down in the 4th quarter to keep the clock rollin. we are not the colts who try to outscore everyone, but rather a team who tries to keep the other team from scoring while capitalizing on turnovers and having the ABILITY to score at will if we are down.

they started out with a veteran defense to keep us in games and a youthful offense to work with and develop into guys who can _______________. (lets say it together "control the ball" )

to add to that, most teams build offenses around young QBs. david carr was that young guy who is the undisputed leader of the Houston Texans who has the respect of EVERYONE in and out of that locker room. you think he didnt ask to get pulled out his first year because he liked taking a beating? he was in no way a wasted pick.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read