Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-28-2005   #21
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13
it's no big surprise you can't even spell "ulcer" below, TT.
Is this a spelling B or a football forum?
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005   #22
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 35326 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I almost wish that Bob McNair would sell the team to Dan Snyder....
AHHH!! Don't EVEN say that. Quick, go knock on wood, throw some salt and find a black cat under a full moon or something. We can deal with the pessimists, just don't change owners. We've already been through the Bud years.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005   #23
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4toZ
AHHH!! Don't EVEN say that. Quick, go knock on wood, throw some salt and find a black cat under a full moon or something. We can deal with the pessimists, just don't change owners. We've already been through the Bud years.
Please tell me that you know I was being sarcastic.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005   #24
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 35326 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Well, yeah. I know your style.

However, put that same sentence in the hands of others.... you wouldn't be so sure.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005   #25
Crank_It_Up
Veteran

They started in 1960, and gave their head coach a five year contract. But after losing their first 4 seasons, the cowgirls didn't fire their head coach, instead they gave him a 10 year contract. For their belief and patience in their head coach, they were rewarded with an NFL-record 20 consecutive winning seasons between 1966 and '85, 13 NFC East titles, 5 NFC titles, and 2 Superbowls. But that was the pre-Jerry Jones era.

We've got a class act in Houston, an organization to be proud of. Sure it isn't perfect, yes it has some weak points, yes there is room for improvement. But certainly no reason to give up hope and panic at this stage of the game.
Old 08-29-2005   #26
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default ...love this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank_It_Up
They started in 1960, and gave their head coach a five year contract. But after losing their first 4 seasons, the cowgirls didn't fire their head coach, instead they gave him a 10 year contract. For their belief and patience in their head coach, they were rewarded with an NFL-record 20 consecutive winning seasons between 1966 and '85, 13 NFC East titles, 5 NFC titles, and 2 Superbowls. But that was the pre-Jerry Jones era.

We've got a class act in Houston, an organization to be proud of. Sure it isn't perfect, yes it has some weak points, yes there is room for improvement. But certainly no reason to give up hope and panic at this stage of the game.
Certainly, Landry was a great coach but his tenure at Dallas was the
exception and not the norm. In today's NFL, Head Coaches are on a quick
'hook' and this has been especially true with the 'new era' expansion teams-
Browns are on their 3rd Head Coach (made playoffs in 4th year), Ravens
are on their 2nd coach after 1st coach lasted 3 yrs (have made playoffs
and have won a SuperBowl), Jags are on their 2nd Head Coach (1st coach
did last 8 yrs but also made playoffs and left with a winning record), and we
all know about the Panthers.

The common thread here with these teams with respect to their Head
Coaches has been winning--those Coaches that won/win like Coughlin with
the Jags and Bilicek with the Ravens had/have longer tenures and only the
Browns are out of the playoff picture this yerar.

So, what does that mean for Capers? IMO, the team needs to show definite
signs that it is headed for the next step by being able to beat the 'winning/
playoff' teams--Jags were the only winning team we beat last year. Too,
it's time for something besides the 'same o/same o'-i.e. excessive
penalties, sacks on us, lack of sacks on them, lots of passing TDs against
us, few against them,etc.

And, lest we forget, the Jags-Panthers-Ravens and Browns all made the
playoffs within their 1st 4 years and 3 of those teams may be going back
this year...yes, we play the Browns this year!
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #27
tsip
Hall of Fame

Default Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando
The Ravens were not a expansion team they relocated from Cleveland as the Browns and changed their name to the Ravens.
...did they get any 'expansion' perks for this move?
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2005   #28
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Justice overreacted.

I liked what I saw of the defense for the first quarter and a half. I also liked what I saw of our return game. Swinton and Mathis probably will both make the team. Bye, bye Kasper and Starling.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #29
tsip
Hall of Fame

Default Fyi

Quote:
The Ravens were not a expansion team they relocated from Cleveland as the Browns and changed their name to the Ravens.
"the NFL under Paul Tagliabue officially considers the Ravens as a 1996 expansion team. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Ravens

Last edited by tsip; 08-29-2005 at 01:35 PM. Reason: add s
Old 08-29-2005   #30
tsip
Hall of Fame

Default so what

Quote:
Because the history of the Browns was left in Cleveland, again they had an established roster and front office going to Baltimore.

Color/flavor it any way you want...still an expansion team
Old 08-29-2005   #31
tsip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No it's not....

A team that moves to another location and/or changes its name are generally not considered an expansion team.

They left behind their history and nickname to be used by an expansion team in 1999. This meant that the team playing in Baltimore would be an established roster with the clean history of expansion team complete with a new nickname.
I'll pass your thoughts onto the commissioner so he can correct himself!

Last edited by tsip; 08-29-2005 at 01:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-2005   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
Color/flavor it any way you want...still an expansion team
You are being completely silly about this. Teams moving and/or changing names are not expansion teams. Expansion by definition makes the NFL bigger. The Ravens did not have an expansion draft, extra expansion draft picks etc. They are no more an expansion team than the Tennessee Titans--new name, new city, same roster.
Old 08-29-2005   #33
tsip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
You are being completely silly about this. Teams moving and/or changing names are not expansion teams. Expansion by definition makes the NFL bigger. The Ravens did not have an expansion draft, extra expansion draft picks etc. They are no more an expansion team than the Tennessee Titans--new name, new city, same roster.
I'm not the one that gave them that title---commissioner did--my
previou post has a link to the source
Old 08-29-2005   #34
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like tsip knows he's wrong but doesn't want to admit it. Who cares what official label the Ravens had when they moved. They had a roster full of players, received no extra draft picks and had no expansion draft. But go ahead and lump them with Houston, Cleveland, Jacksonville and Carolina. Might as well as long as it proves his point right?

Jax and Carolina were given such good expansion deals that they backed off greatly when Cleveland (not the Ravens) got an expansion team. They compromised between those extremes for the Texans.

So the question is...would you trade a trip to the Conference Championship game and very limited success afterwards for the next 8+ years for our team that seems to be progressing each year? Oh...don't even try to argue that Clevelands formula is better. That would really ruin your credibility.
Exascor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #35
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

The main difference between the Ravens and Titans (in terms of their respective move) is that the rights to the previous mascot and all of its stats stayed with its city in the first case and not in the second. They call the Ravens an "expansion team" merely because it was its first year of stats as that entity.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #36
tsip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor
Sounds like tsip knows he's wrong but doesn't want to admit it. Who cares what official label the Ravens had when they moved. They had a roster full of players, received no extra draft picks and had no expansion draft. But go ahead and lump them with Houston, Cleveland, Jacksonville and Carolina. Might as well as long as it proves his point right?

Jax and Carolina were given such good expansion deals that they backed off greatly when Cleveland (not the Ravens) got an expansion team. They compromised between those extremes for the Texans.

So the question is...would you trade a trip to the Conference Championship game and very limited success afterwards for the next 8+ years for our team that seems to be progressing each year? Oh...don't even try to argue that Clevelands formula is better. That would really ruin your credibility.
Since you know it all, please list any losing head coach (recently) that has
been around for 8 years?...thanks...almost forgot, taking the Ravens out of
my posts does not change the facts, so what is your point? you always
talk about facts but haven't seen many(if any) lately

Last edited by tsip; 08-29-2005 at 03:16 PM. Reason: add to post
Old 08-29-2005   #37
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
Since you know it all, please list any losing head coach (recently) that has
been around for 8 years?...thanks...almost forgot, taking the Ravens out of
my posts does not change the facts, so what is your point? you always
talk about facts but haven't seen many(if any) lately

Jeff Fisher 5-11 in 2004
Dick Vermeil 7-9 in 2004
Bill Parcells 6-10 in 2004
Joe Gibbs 6-10 in 2004
Bill Cowher 6-10 in 2003
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #38
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

i know this is a page or so late but...

Quote:
Here come the company lines and excuses.

Other than the Rockets, every organization (and its fans) in this town has accepted mediocrity.
i simply cannot get around this kind of thinking. does anyone on the MB actually think what they feel/say affects how our team is managed? you've got to be a little delusional, IMO, to think as a fan you actually have the position to "accept mediocrity" in the first place. i mean if i'm missing an opportunity to cast a vote or give a "yay or nay" then please tell me, because like all of you, i have my own idea of how things could be changed for the better. but since we, as fans, are only granted the position of observation then we have no choice but to accept observation as our role.

now don't twist my words, disagreeing with what your watching is perfectly fine, and something i feel is a healthy behavior. but since our "involvement" is only a one way street, the only choice we have in accepting the "mediocre" entertainment we have choosen to watch is turn it off/watch something else. rooting for the texans while disliking the coach's/GM/front office/player's is great, along with your voicing you opinoins on the board, but to infer you (and more importantly US) have a resposnibility in the mediocrity of the team's perfromance is so far off it's absurd. have a different idea about how things should be done, fine, but imposing the resposibility to fan's who feel differently (and coincedentaly, i might add, in many cases opposite) to change things is not fine. the buck doesn't stop or start here, we just get to watch it as it goes from A to B and say we would have followed the same route or not. nothing more, nothing less. /rant
Old 08-29-2005   #39
tsip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
Jeff Fisher 5-11 in 2004
Dick Vermeil 7-9 in 2004
Bill Parcells 6-10 in 2004
Joe Gibbs 6-10 in 2004
Bill Cowher 6-10 in 2003
...not sure what your point is here but I was asking to name coaches
that were still employed by the same team after 8 straight losing seasons
in their careers...some posters have suggested that Capers should be
given more time to produce a winner on the field, like 8 yrs

Last edited by tsip; 08-29-2005 at 05:15 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-29-2005   #40
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0ck
i know this is a page or so late but...

i simply cannot get around this kind of thinking. does anyone on the MB actually think what they feel/say affects how our team is managed? you've got to be a little delusional, IMO, to think as a fan you actually have the position to "accept mediocrity" in the first place. i mean if i'm missing an opportunity to cast a vote or give a "yay or nay" then please tell me, because like all of you, i have my own idea of how things could be changed for the better. but since we, as fans, are only granted the position of observation then we have no choice but to accept observation as our role.

now don't twist my words, disagreeing with what your watching is perfectly fine, and something i feel is a healthy behavior. but since our "involvement" is only a one way street, the only choice we have in accepting the "mediocre" entertainment we have choosen to watch is turn it off/watch something else. rooting for the texans while disliking the coach's/GM/front office/player's is great, along with your voicing you opinoins on the board, but to infer you (and more importantly US) have a resposnibility in the mediocrity of the team's perfromance is so far off it's absurd. have a different idea about how things should be done, fine, but imposing the resposibility to fan's who feel differently (and coincedentaly, i might add, in many cases opposite) to change things is not fine. the buck doesn't stop or start here, we just get to watch it as it goes from A to B and say we would have followed the same route or not. nothing more, nothing less. /rant

Nice post ..... ill agree with all but one point , the buck does Start with US the FANS ... If we stop attending the games and or stop watching them on TV the team loses Gate money and or TV dollars .... that happens ownership listens .... eventually
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read