Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The 2005 High School Football thread

BradK10

Veteran
Seriously, I think we could keep one of these going for the whole season, no?

Big matchup at Reliant today, Katy taking on The Woodlands. I am pissed that I'm in Phoenix, but I'll be listening on 610's website. Katy's got the most speed at skill positions since 2000. Woodlands has struggled in the past against teams who set out to play a physical style of ball, which is exactly what Katy does.

I'm a homer, yes, but I expect Katy to come out on top in this one.

aj.

All Pro
Should be a good one. Two solid programs and both well coached.

I follow 24-5A fairly close myself. Clear Lake was quite the surprise last year. Knocked off your Tigers in the last game they played.

BradK10

Veteran
aj. said:

I follow 24-5A fairly close myself. Clear Lake was quite the surprise last year. Knocked off your Tigers in the last game they played.
Don't remind me. That was brutal.

I hope we destroy Woodlands, they are probably one of the most undisciplined teams in the area.

aj.

All Pro
If I was in town, I would be at that game. It should be a classic.
5Atexasfootball.com has Katy ranked 6th and Woodlands 14th in state in the preseason poll. Katy is 6th or 7th in most of the polls.

What's up with the stream? Countdown to kickoff (Texans) is streaming on top of the Katy/Woodlands game..you can hear both. I think the HS game is supposed to have priority on the stream.

aj.

All Pro
Same here. I heard them talking about this during the week. The stream is supposed to be the HS game and the Texans preview on radio only.

YodAa

Rookie
Well I don't know what you guys are talking about right now but since this thread is high school football I'll just post.

Who saw the Cy Ridge Rams beat the Cinco Ranch Cougars?!?!?!?!

That game was awesome it went into double overtime, it was so sweet!

BradK10

Veteran
i did see that cinco lost. they lost a ton of talent at skill positions. didnt really surprise me

man, listening to tsrn's stream of the katy game is like tryin to intercept russian military radio communications

YodAa

Rookie
BradK10 said:
i did see that cinco lost. they lost a ton of talent at skill positions. didnt really surprise me

man, listening to tsrn's stream of the katy game is like tryin to intercept russian military radio communications
hey did you see Cy Ridge's Darnell Kelly # 25? He looked good, what do you think of him?

YodAa

Rookie
o lol i thought u meant you actually saw the game, lol. Hey do you know were I could possibly find the stats for the game?

TigerBait

Waterboy
What's the score to the game? Im actually a senior at the Woodlands, but wasn't able to go, was busy at a lame pool party, and believe it or not a Texan's preseason game excites me more than Woodlands football, especially this year.

Boxscore

Rookie
Last year Katy split QB time with Sr. Jared Gayhart and then Jr. Andy Dalton. This year it is Katy with just Dalton at QB. He has a great arm and will most likely diversify the Tiger's offense like we have not seen in years. As evident against the Woodlands, the defense is solid.

Texas

Veteran
Clear Lake will do well this year. I used to go to lake and played halfback and then moved to seabrook and I go to private HISD school. I play for Jack Yates highschool as a halfback now. I beleive however NorthShore will take another title this year.

mexican_texan

Furry Tractors
I go to Westfield High School in Spring, and the football team is one of the best in the state. We lost to Tyler Lee in the 5A State Championship after losing our star RB. However, Westfield has little to no coverage except in the Houston Chronicle.

aj.

All Pro
Lake blew a 20 point lead in the 4th quarter last night, losing to LaPorte 35-34. They will be in the playoff hunt again but they are not the team they were last year.

Creek was shut out by Kingwood, extending their losing streak to something like 12 or 13 games.

Brook, playing without their star running back Carlos Frank, shut out Oak Ridge 13-0. Brook held Oak Ridge to 22 yards rushing on 27 carries. Moorhead Stadium is very nice for an old house.

Alvin lost too, so it wasn't a good weekend for 24-5A.

Edit: La Marque edged Ball 20-19.

ledzeppelin229

Hall of Fame
Klein Collins was upset by Klein Oak (I went to Oak as a freshman and KC the other 3 years) 28-17. KC senior RB Michael Goodson tweaked his ankle and had to sit out most of the game which easily could have been the deciding factor. He's supposed to be one of the top recruits in the nation, and looks to have committed to Oklahoma State. Keep an eye out for him because he's been a star so far at KCHS.

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The team that I have followed for the last 20+ years (Willowridge) is in the process of rebuilding, so I will be there for support of the team. I also will be following Hightower closely, and wish them all the best. The first two games have been very close, and I am not sure how the teams they beat narrowly (Hastings and Memorial) are ranked, so the next few weeks will be interesting to say the least. But a big shout out to both teams, from an avid supporter. :thumbup

duece

Practice Squad
aj. said:

i too mainly follow 24-5A, i played at bwood. we've been down the past couple of years, when i was there we wrecked. not the players fault though, if you catch my drift. i also follow the spring district, since i coach in it..lol. westfield is loaded. danny mccray is a complete beast. went to regional in the 200, should have made it out, goes 6-2 208, hits like a freight train. their starting qb is back...they're loaded. as i heard one coach say.."they should win it all, hands down." spring has a group of freshman that could take out almost every jv team in the state...they are very talented. in about a year or two they will be killing people left and right. if you want to see some really good football go watch spring's freshman squad, they're sick....

That is great that Oak upset Collins. I graduated from Oak and my little brother played there two years ago. We always had a great baseball team, but sucked at football. My step son plays for Cy Ridge. I will have to keep an eye open for Darnell Kelly. My son is only a freshman and we just moved over here, but I love high school football.

BradK10

Veteran
First, thanks to who ever stickied this topic. It feels like FOREVER since a HS game was played in Houston.

The best HS football website for Texas for the 5A divisions is www.5atexasfootball.com

It's ran by a couple guys I played with at Katy, and they dig deep into the whole state. Great site.

I'm very glad Katy is gonna make up that game vs. Strake, whip them private school pansies back to TAPPS where they came from.

aj.

All Pro
Congrats to Clear Creek for breaking their long losing streak with a win over Alvin last night.

Looks like it will be Pearland and North Shore from the south and east side once again.

BradK10

Veteran
Katy thrashed Mayde Creek 45-7 tonight. 35-0 after one quarter.

I can't tell if Katy is just that dominant this year, or if 19-5A is that down.

aj.

All Pro
There's a reason the Tigers are 6th in state, and it really has nothing to do with 19-5A's strength. Westfield, Katy, and North Shore are the top three 5A schools in the GHA at this point in time. And then there's the Lufkin machine. North Shore lost their best offensive lineman for the year the other night.

Boxscore

Rookie
BradK10 said:

The Two Alief Schools, Elsik and Hastings from 19-5A are both very week this season. They and especially Hastings have always been pretty strong.

DRIFTAWAY

Rookie
Clear Brook beat Clear Creek 36-33 in overtime today, this was also Clear Brook's homecoming game, and the Game of the Week on KHOU11. This win will keep the wolverines in hunt of a consecutive playoff berth. I love watching district 24-5a.

aj.

All Pro
That was a very exciting game. Brook stopped Creek with a defensive stand in overtime for the second year in a row, but the Wolverines couldn't stand the prosperity as they lost to Alvin last week. That all but eliminated Brook from the playoff race. Creek has some serious speed at RB and wideout. The new coach has done a great job with those kids, turning that program around.

The third playoff spot will come down to Creek and Alvin. Alvin finishes against Ball and Pearland and that's a very likely 0-2 for them. I'm pretty sure Creek has the tiebreaker on head to head with Alvin or in a three way with Brook and Alvin. I expect Creek to split their last two, giving them three losses along with Alvin. In other words, I see Creek getting that third playoff spot. They should since they are a better team than Alvin IMO.

It's Brook and Lake tomorrow at District Stadium. It's Lake's homecoming (delayed by Rita) even though it was originally a Brook home game. This is always a good game. These are two schools that absolutely hate each other - much like Creek and Lake of old. I'll be in my usual seat (top row 45 yard line).

I can't wait for the playoffs to start so we can see some of these local powerhouses square off against each other.

There's your 24-5A report.

p.s., if anyone wants to see a really good RB, Foswhitt Whitaker of Pearland is the real deal. Power, balance and speed plus great lower body strength -- it takes two or three kids to bring him down.

R

real

BradK10 said:

no 19-5a is just that down, i graduated from elsik in '03 and its been a tremendous drop off since then

CoachJim

Waterboy
A couple fellow little league football coaches & I went Friday night and watched Deer Park beat LaPorte 20 - 16. What was really sweet & rewarding for me was watching about 15 players playing on a Friday night (and winning) an emotional game. In 1999, these kids were on my Pasadena Bear Senior team just learning the game & six short years later they have blossomed into solid starters, being the deciding factor in a pivotal game. I have never in my life felt prouder than when after the game these kids came to the fence & shook our hands, & visited with us, including us in their celebration. Theres nothing quite like those Friday night lights!

aj.

All Pro
I will be checking out the Pearland - NS game tonight. Two 10-0 teams knocking heads in the best HS stadium around ... it doesn't get any better than this. I have a sneaky feeling NS will roll.

aj.

All Pro
That one wasn't as difficult to predict as NS - Westfield. Obviously it gets better than NS - Pearland, much better, and we will see it next weekend. This is state championship caliber stuff...

I was very impressed with Ganious last night - and the soph #20.