Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-05-2005   #1
DoCt3rJ
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DoCt3rJ
Default Jason Babin

Theres alot of talk about Peek right now, but how has Babin looked at camp ?
DoCt3rJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #2
FaLcOnS FaN
waterboy

Default Jason Babin......my 2nd cousin

I just wanted to know what you guys think of my cuz.
FaLcOnS FaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

We think you should root for your couson's team.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005   #4
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope he does well. He's very quick.

A lot of fans on this board and texanstalk.com board were scratching their heads (and some were pulling their hair out) when we traded up to draft him.

I guess that's the business of being a fan. And, as you can see form reading the posts...we're in this phase of casting final judgment on players, such as Tony Hollings etc. (Babin being mixed into that discussion from time to time).

He was drafted to be a speed guy on the ends who could pressure the QB, but I think he's getting muscled around a bit (got pushed around in the Raiders game). Part of the problem is that I think our 3-4 scheme isn't getting the push from the linemen and it therefore allows the o line to tee off on Babin since o lines are handling our middle rush with ease. If we could get a better push up the middle, I think the tackle would have to gamble on some plays and just stick a hand out at Babin (when Babin rushes) so the tackle can stay "home" and help out the interior of the o line but also attempt at the same time to slow down Babin--As it stands, they can just manhandle him because there's no need to double-team any of our inside rushers at this point (which is why we drafted Travis Johnson:to get a more aggressive inside presence).

Our inside rush is just weak, in my opinion, and I think some of it is just the nature of the 3-4 scheme. I'm not a fan of the 3-4. It asks the LBs and DBs to make the plays while the 3 linemen are just there to stall the play to allow the LBs and the DBs to "make the play." I could rant on, but....I'm gonna get flamed for saying this much.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005   #5
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

babins doing ok. still waiting to see why we gave up a lot for him.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005   #6
Doom Capers
Veteran

His tattoos are beastly.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005   #7
Master Po
Veteran

it's judgement year
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2005   #8
TexHorns
Veteran

I think he did well adjusting to the new system and position. He will only get better in year 2 IMO.
TexHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

We have three young OLBs all with talent and potential to be solid performers
in the NFL, perhaps even outstanding performers. Many think Babin is the
best prospect of the three, others think he's not even one of the best two.
But he's different than the other 2 (Peek & Anderson), in 2 ways: the price we paid for him and the fact he was given the opportunity to start his rookie
year. So Babin now has the advantage of experience over the other young backers. But we are gonna find out a lot about these 3 guys this year
because how they perform (individually and collectively), will have a great deal to do with the success (or failure), of the whole team this year. Its crunch time.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005   #10
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

i like babin. seems like he's gonna be a good player if the interior push increases.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005   #11
Texas_Heat
Veteran

Babin is coming along nicely,and I'm sure he will be happy to hear his 93 old 2nd
cousin asked about him.

Last edited by Texas_Heat; 08-27-2005 at 01:06 PM.
Texas_Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005   #12
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyy
We threw away picks to move up to select him. He would have been available to us in the 2nd round had we just waited patiently.
Wow! You were in all the War Rooms on draft day! That's quite an accomplishment.
Exascor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005   #13
Dime
Hall of Fame

whoa there horse...

I dont know wherre the rest of you were last year, but Babin did very good for his first year here. He is a awesome player and we are looking at him being a force in the future that gets even better. The people who are stating crap in this thread dont know his numbers last year on what he acccomplished for our team, but they need to find out. I, for one, feel Babin's name will be heard several times per game on the tackle, sack, or interception he just did.
Old 08-27-2005   #14
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

agreed. its hard for a team to have only one or two good pass-rushers. then they get keyed on every play. in order to have a premeir pass rush EVERYbody has to be a decent passrusher.IMO
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005   #15
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyy
We threw away picks to move up to select him. He would have been available to us in the 2nd round had we just waited patiently.
Ill bet Casserly felt like a jackass when you told him that...
Old 08-27-2005   #16
HardCoreTxn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HardCoreTxn Send a message via MSN to HardCoreTxn Send a message via Yahoo to HardCoreTxn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime
whoa there horse...

I dont know wherre the rest of you were last year, but Babin did very good for his first year here. He is a awesome player and we are looking at him being a force in the future that gets even better. The people who are stating crap in this thread dont know his numbers last year on what he acccomplished for our team, but they need to find out. I, for one, feel Babin's name will be heard several times per game on the tackle, sack, or interception he just did.
not to be a jackass, but 4 sacks, 0 int, 54 tackles is not "very good" for a 1st round (27th pick), but I think he'll pick it up this year and turn into very good LB for years to come.
Old 08-27-2005   #17
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

Quote:
but 4 sacks, 0 int, 54 tackles is not "very good" for a 1st round (27th pick), but I think he'll pick it up
ahem....

there are some 3-4 veterans who beg to differ (thanks to vinny's research from "the other" thread)...

Quote:
Letís look at guys playing the strongside or LOLB in a few other 3-4 defenses (I've posted this several times). Earlier in the season last year I said his game looks like Vrabel's does. Statistically they ended up very close, and Babin was the only rookie in this group.

Steelers Clark Haggans had 37 tackles and 6 sacks
Patriots Mike Vrabel 71 tackles and 5.5 sacks
Chargers Ben Leber 60 total tackles and 2 sacks
Texans Jason Babin 63 total tackles and 4 sacks
Old 08-27-2005   #18
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCoreTxn
not to be a jackass, but 4 sacks, 0 int, 54 tackles is not "very good" for a 1st round (27th pick), but I think he'll pick it up this year and turn into very good LB for years to come.
It is for a OLB in the 3-4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Steelers Clark Haggans had 37 tackles and 6 sacks
Patriots Mike Vrabel 71 tackles and 5.5 sacks
Chargers Ben Leber 60 total tackles and 2 sacks
Texans Jason Babin 63 total tackles and 4 sacks
Looks very good when compared to some veterans. Pro Bowl worthy? No. Very good for a rookie. Yes.
Old 08-27-2005   #19
Exascor
Hall of Fame

jr0ck beat me to it. hehe

Network problems @ work. Sorry if this message gets posted more than once.
Old 08-27-2005   #20
TMac48
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TMac48

My cousin's mom's sister's grandma's uncle's son knows Deborah Frazier, who was an extra in Footlose with Kevin Bacon. There...there's my 7 degrees...
TMac48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read