Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-26-2005   #21
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

I think Ramon Walker makes the squad and probably Jason Bell too, though his isn't really guaranteed. Hodgdon likely makes the regular roster, same with Weary just because there isn't much guard depth on the team. Also, the practice squad was expanded to 8 so a few more guys can be added. One of the coaches said Donovan Morgan will likely be put there so there's atleast one more.

At LB I think Polk makes it just because we don't have much depth at MLB and he's a vet there.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #22
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

see i'm not so sure polk makes it...he isn't healthy and frank chamberlin has been the most productive linebacker on special teams...also bradford will be on the final roster...armstrong is a question mark in my mind because he isn't healthy...often times if you can't stay on the field during training camp and preseason you get passed on...that and the production of sloan thomas is impressive
Old 08-26-2005   #23
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121565 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

i guess its agreed then baxter is out.

wells has spent time at fb

robaire smith has spent time at fb.

even wong spent a bit of time in camp at fb.

norris will be the only true fb on the team.
Old 08-26-2005   #24
z0rpAn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to z0rpAn Send a message via MSN to z0rpAn Send a message via Yahoo to z0rpAn

wonder if they pick a number from the hat for someone to give norris a breather ^_^
z0rpAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #25
HardCoreTxn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HardCoreTxn Send a message via MSN to HardCoreTxn Send a message via Yahoo to HardCoreTxn

I hope VMo will get #2 RB spot, and Wells #3 RB/FB...Im wondering if Wells will be in a similar role as Cooley (was), or Cushing (pit) playing TE/FB. If Murphy has a good game tmmrw I would like to see him at starting TE, from what Ive seen he looks to be country strong.

Last edited by HardCoreTxn; 08-26-2005 at 04:02 PM.
HardCoreTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #26
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda
even wong spent a bit of time in camp at fb.
I thought Polk saw time at FB in training camp, and Wong saw time at TE. I could be mistaken though.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #27
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
So are we going into the season with a 45 man roster??
whoa. that leaves room for 8 more people! who?
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2005   #28
TommyS
Veteran

[quote=Hottoddie]LS: Make yourself useful McKinney (I can't see us taking up a roster spot for just a LS. Sorry, Pittman)QUOTE]

pretty much every team in the league has a roster sport for 'just' a LS. go out into your yard and try and snap a ball through your legs through the hole in a tyre 10 feet away. it aint easy, brother. then stand up and block a 300lb lineman. that aint easy either.
TommyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #29
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyS
pretty much every team in the league has a roster sport for 'just' a LS. go out into your yard and try and snap a ball through your legs through the hole in a tyre 10 feet away. it aint easy, brother. then stand up and block a 300lb lineman. that aint easy either.

I kinda had the same idea about ditching the longsnapper but then i think about the fact that Mckinney is the starter and has enough trouble just blocking someone much less long snapping ...... :brickwall
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005   #30
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
I kinda had the same idea about ditching the longsnapper but then i think about the fact that Mckinney is the starter and has enough trouble just blocking someone much less long snapping ...... :brickwall
How 'bout we just start Pittman and ditch Mckinney.
HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005   #31
CyberTexan
Veteran

Amazing LOL

TE Miller has better hands than any of them , Miller will be the starter again the only reason he didnt produce alot last year was because the play calls Palmer used didnt include him like the year before , i think they need to use the TE alot more than what they do.

and in my opinion , Wells will be the Back up and Morency 3rd , Hollings needs to go I thought he was gonna be good when they first aquired him bt I was wrong .

the rest of the positions i agree with most of you.
CyberTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005   #32
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

It would be nice to see Wells as the FB. He is definitely used to handling the ball. Don't forget that the FB is not in on 3 and 4 WR sets most of the time.

Murphy looked like a solid reciever in the last game. I sure hope they find a way to expand his role a little more this week.

Our OL does know how to run block. I would expect that Morency and DD will both have a good game tonight.
Old 08-28-2005   #33
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, after last night's game (Kasper will make the cut & Bradford will be cut for additional cap relief), & the fact that I was under the mistaken impression that teams can only have a 45 man roster with an 8 man Taxi Squad, it's time to revise my projected roster. Here ya' go:

OFFENSE

QB: Carr, Ragone, Banks
WR: AJ, S.Thomas, Gaffney, Mathis, Swinton, Kasper
RB: DD, Morency, Wells
FB: Norris
OL: Riley, Pitts, McKinney, Wiegert, Wade, Wand, M.Brown, Washington, Hodgdon
TE: Bruener, Murphy

DEFENSE

DL: Walker, Payne, Smith, TJ, Deloach, Ioane, Sears
LB: Peek, Wong, Greenwood, Babin, C.Anderson, Chamberlin, Evans, Orr, Polk
CB: Dunta, Buchanon, Faggins, McKenzie, Sanders
FS: Coleman, Simmons
SS: C.Brown, Earl, R.Walker

SPECIAL TEAMS

PK: Brown
P: Stanley
KR: Swinton, Mathis
PR: Swinton, Mathis
LS: Pittman

TAXI SQUAD:

Pettway (LB)
Symons (QB)
Starling (WR)
Wishom (CB)
Joppru (TE)
Hollings (RB)
Lord (FS)
Halterman (TE)

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005   #34
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie
Well, after last night's game (Kasper will make the cut & Bradford will be cut for additional cap relief), & the fact that I was under the mistaken impression that teams can only have a 45 man roster with an 8 man Taxi Squad, it's time to revise my projected roster. Here ya' go:

OFFENSE

QB: Carr, Ragone, Banks
WR: AJ, S.Thomas, Gaffney, Mathis, Swinton, Kasper
RB: DD, Morency, Wells
FB: Norris
OL: Riley, Pitts, McKinney, Wiegert, Wade, Wand, M.Brown, Washington, Hodgdon
TE: Bruener, Murphy

DEFENSE

DL: Walker, Payne, Smith, TJ, Deloach, Ioane, Sears
LB: Peek, Wong, Greenwood, Babin, C.Anderson, Chamberlin, Evans, Orr, Polk
CB: Dunta, Buchanon, Faggins, McKenzie, Sanders
SS: C.Brown, Earl, R.Walker

SPECIAL TEAMS

PK: Brown
KR: Swinton, Mathis
PR: Swinton, Mathis

TAXI SQUAD:

Pettway (LB)
Symons (QB)
Starling (WR)
Wishom (CB)
Joppru (TE)
Hollings (RB)
Lord (FS)
Halterman (TE)
nice. but i'd like to have pettway on the roster. he looked like a good s.team guy.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005   #35
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Bradford is a pretty safe bet to make the team IMO. The one question I have is who is our starter at SS? Haven't seen Earl play since his injury, and I don't know if they are just going to throw him in there against Buffalo.
Old 08-28-2005   #36
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Bradford is a pretty safe bet to make the team IMO. The one question I have is who is our starter at SS? Haven't seen Earl play since his injury, and I don't know if they are just going to throw him in there against Buffalo.

You're probably right about Bradford, but with the talent we've seen displayed by our WR's this spring, it wouldn't come as a shock to me to see the club let him go. We don't necessarily need the cap space, but Bradford's cap hit this year is higher than any of the other WR's, with the exception of AJ. With Corey Simon being a FA now, I'd sure like to see the team make a run at him. That extra $800 K could go a long way toward helping that cause.

The way Brown has been playing, he might've had a solid chance of beating Earl out anyway, had he not been injured. As it stands, I'd put my money on Brown being the opening day starter for now.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005   #37
Panther5407
All Pro

I think Starling will make the team over Thomas. Star was a very good special teams player last year, a pretty good gunner. He's more proven I guess, but really I dont know, I just like him more than Sloan, maybe cause I've seen him more.
Old 08-28-2005   #38
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags

Unfortunately for one of the other recievers (and for us fans) ... Bradford will probably make the team . AJ, S.Thomas, Gaffney, Mathis, Swinton as well as Bradford are who I see making the final roster . Thomas has been the most reliable reciever on the team thus far . If he doesnt make the team ... someone needs their head examined .
Swinton has shown to be a valuable pick up and from another Casserly interview i heard on 610 am earlier in the week when asked about Mathis going to the practice squad ... all he did was laugh which leads one to believe that Mathis will make the team . The Texans expect him to make an impact ...Gaff hasnt been healthy enough to show much but he better do something in a hurry because if one of those other recievers gets a chance to get on the field Gaff may never get his job back .

As for G.Earl , i heard Casserly in an interview make a comment on him (I believe it was saturday just before kick off ?) ... saying that they would see how he was physically for next weeks game then make a decision as to who the starter would be for Buffalo . If he's physically able to I think you can count on him being the starter . Otherwise look for C.C.Brown to start opening day.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #39
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

QB: Carr, Banks, Ragone
RB: Davis, Wells, Morency
FB: Norris, Baxter
TE: Murphy, Bruenor
WR: Johnson, Gaffney, Swinton, Mathis, Thomas
LT: Riley, Wand
LG: Pitts, Beasley
C: McKinney, Washington
RG: Wiegert, Weary
RT: Wade, Brown

LDE: Walker, Johnson, Sears
NT: Payne, Davis, Deloach
RDE: Smith, Ioane
LOLB: Babin, Pettway
BLB: Wong, Polk
MLB: Greenwood, Orr
ROLB: Peek, Anderson
CB: Robinson, Buchanan, Faggins, Bell, Sanders
SS: Earl, Brown

K: Brown
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #40
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

OFFENSE
QB: carr, ragone, banks
RB: davis, morency, wells
FB: norris, wells
WR: johnson, bradford, gaffney, armstrong, swinton, mathis
LT: riley, wand
LG: pitts, brown
C: mckinney, hodgdon
RG: weigert, washington
RT: wade, jones
TE: murphy, bruener, rivers

DEFENSE
LE: walker, johnson
NT: payne, ioane, davis
RE: smith, deloach
LOLB: babin, pettway
ILB: wong, greenwood, polk, chamberlin
ROLB: peek, anderson
CB: robinson, buchanon, petey, bell, simmons, sanders
SS: earl, cc brown
FS: coleman, simmons

SPECIAL TEAMS
K: brown
P: stanley
LS: pittman
KR: mathis
PR: swinton

i think thats 53, and i think that is my final roster

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read