Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-26-2005   #1
SESupergenius

Default Who's on the 53-Man Roster

I can see this happening:

Offense

QB
08 David Carr
12 Tony Banks
04 Dave Ragone

RB

37 Domanick Davis
25 Tony Hollings
34 Vernand Morency

FB
44 Moran Norris

WR
80 Andre Johnson
85 Corey Bradford
86 Jabar Gaffney
89 Reggie Swinton
13 Jerome Mathis

LT
68 Victor Riley
78 Seth Wand

LG
69 Chester Pitts
79 Chad Beasley

C
76 Steve McKinney
77 Todd Washington
63 Drew Hodgdon

RG
72 Zach Wiegert

RT
71 Todd Wade
67 Milford Brown

TE
87 Mark Bruener
82 Billy Miller
81 Matt Murphy

Defense

LE
96 Gary Walker
75 Travis Johnson

NT
91 Seth Payne
95 Jerry Deloach

RE
99 Robaire Smith
94 Junior Ioane

LOLB
93 Jason Babin

BLB
52 Kailee Wong
51 DaShon Polk
63 Anthony Dunn

MLB
56 Morlon Greenwood
54 Troy Evans
53 Shantee Orr

ROLB

98 Antwan Peek
50 Charlie Anderson

LCB
31 Phillip Buchanon
38 Demarcus Faggins
33 Jason Bell

RCB
23 Dunta Robinson
21 Lewis Sanders

SS
26 Glenn Earl
24 C.C. Brown
22 Ramon Walker

FS
42 Marcus Coleman
30 Jason Simmons

Special Teams

K
3 Kris Brown

P
7 Chad Stanley

LS
48 Bryan Pittman
Old 08-26-2005   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

So ... you don't see Jonathan Wells making the roster? I do.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #3
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

Quote:
So ... you don't see Jonathan Wells making the roster? I do.
my setiments exactly, if anything it's 'ol 2nd round tony that's in danger...and for some reason i have the feeling that kasper will sneak onto the depth chart somehow, but not take mathis or swinton's spots i also see zeke moreno making it...
Old 08-26-2005   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

If they keep Hollings and not Wells, I'm gonna be really ticked. I would be very tempted to use Morency as the #2 over Wells, though. I don't know.

Hollings is a bust. Wells has proven that he can rush for 100 in a game.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it a given that Walker is better than Travis Johnson, or are they still deciding that?

Nevermind, I guess the answer is Yes and Yes.

Last edited by HJam72; 08-26-2005 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-26-2005   #6
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

what ever happened to derrick armstrong?
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Is it just me, or does anybody think that Mathis might be a #2 receiver?
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2005   #8
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72

he might be in the future, but i think its way too early to say he's our #2 man right now. he's caught 2 passes in one game, so i don't know.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #9
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

Quote:
oops! he's a lock before swinton and kasper, just forgot about him because he's injured and hasn't seen any pre-season action yet (at least to my knowledge).

Quote:
despite the popular opinion (or so it seems to me) that mathis is the WR embodiment of god, i think he only see's action in 4 and 5 wide sets (barring injury of course). it's bradford's job to lose (this season) and if he goes down i say armstrong gets the intial nod before jerome. after this season though, i think the coaches already have mathis in mind for the texan's future
Old 08-26-2005   #10
TexHorns
Veteran

Quote:
If they keep Hollings and not Wells, I'm gonna be really ticked. I would be very tempted to use Morency as the #2 over Wells, though. I don't know.

you are 100% correct IMO
TexHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #11
TexHorns
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
I think that we should let Armstrong take Gaffney's spot as a # 2 and groom Mathis to take Bradford's spot but that is just MO. Bradford will not be here after this year IMO.
TexHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #12
The Preacher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
I was hoping with his hands he could make a push to become a great receiver in the league ala Drew Bennett. Both DA and Gaffney have had a few years which is the norm for a receiver to really start producing. To go an extra step and put myself out there I would be surprised if we didn't have one of the best receiving corps in the league this year if blocking is sufficient.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #13
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78862 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish they'd put Jabar Gaffney on IR, and figure out a way to keep Sloan Thomas. I have a feeling he'd be a good one if given enough time.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #14
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

yeah after the oakland game i was thinking maybe we need to drop armstrong and keep sloan thomas, swinton, and mathis...giving us 6 wr's...probably keep two fullbacks in morris and wells...3 hb's in davis, hollings, and morency
Old 08-26-2005   #15
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
yeah after the oakland game i was thinking maybe we need to drop armstrong and keep sloan thomas, swinton, and mathis...giving us 6 wr's...probably keep two fullbacks in morris and wells...3 hb's in davis, hollings, and morency
I would be floored if Hollings aint gone. Wells can do both backup rb and fb and a special teams person. I like sloan... Armstrong has the best hands on the team, but if he has difficulty getting open, that dont help. I dont see us dropping armstrong though. Believe me, would rather have sloan
Old 08-26-2005   #16
The Preacher
Veteran

What's Armstrong's problem? He can't run, how hard is that?
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #17
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

J.Wells WILL be on the team . He's the type of player Capers really likes , HARD WORKER , Great special teams player , can play multiple positions and doesnt put the ball on the ground .

Hollings should be let go , they need to cut their losses with him and use the roster spot on a player more capable of helping the team .

Quote:
Reciever is probably the most competitive spot on the roster

Mathis was drafted because of his pure speed and the good ole P word .... Potential . That said , He's a VERY RAW talent who recieved Very little coaching at his position . Hampton doesnt even have a WR coach .... He will make the team but probably wont see a whole lot of action unless Bradford is hurt or is totally un-productive by mid-season .

Sloan Thomas deserves to make the team based on what he's done so far in training camp and pre-season .... Armstrong would be tough to let go and neither of them would clear waivers for the practice squad . Someone would pick them up .
Swinton isnt a lock to make the team . With Mathis and Buchannon both able to return punts / kicks he will have to show that he is valuable as a reciever to make this team , thats why they wanted to rid themselves of J.J.Moses ... one dimensional .

TE ..... Billy Miller may not make the team this year . Being one dimensional doesnt help his cause . The Texans will probably keep 3 TE's but will one of them be Miller ? The play of Matt Murphy and Marcellus Rivers could spell the end for him .

As for the Defense .... I think SESupergenius pretty much got it right , that is likely who we will see make the team .

Im wondering if the Texans will keep Bryan Pittman for nothing more than their long snapper ....Thats a luxury spot and one better used on a player who can add depth elsewhere on the team . Its time Mckinney made himself useful .
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #18
SESupergenius

I actually like J. Anderson more than I do Wells or Hollings, but that aint gonna happen. Well has taken too many snaps this preseason (lets see what he gets this next game) so I figure that coupled with the fact that Hollings was a high 2nd rounder we'd keep him. It's not that I dislike someone when I am excluding them, its just that we have only 53 spots, 25 more or less on offense.

Yes we will keep the longsnapper, it's an incredibley valuable position, especially when things go wrong.
Old 08-26-2005   #19
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

This has already been dicussed in another thread, but here's a repeat of my projected 53 man roster.

I can see some notable players like Billy Miller, Bradford (Armstrong is cheaper & locked up for 2 more years), Hollings, Ramon Walker, Weary, & Orr losing their jobs this year. Hopefully, CC can trade one or two of them for draft picks or an upgrade at one of our other positions. I'd sure hate to be the coaches & have to decide which ones to cut. We're actually going to be able to cut some quality players this year.

Our secondary should be the envy of the league this year.

Anyway, here's my picks, based on just 2 preseason games.

OFFENSE

QB: Carr, Ragone, Banks
WR: AJ, Armstrong, Gaffney, Mathis, Swinton
RB: DD, Morency, Wells
FB: Norris
OL: Riley, Pitts, McKinney, Wiegert, Wade, Wand, M.Brown, Washington
TE: Bruener, Murphy

DEFENSE

DL: Walker, Payne, Smith, TJ, Deloach, Ioane
LB: Peek, Wong, Greenwood, Babin, C.Anderson, Chamberlin, Evans
CB: Dunta, Buchanon, Faggins, McKenzie
FS: Coleman, Simmons
SS: Earl, C.Brown

SPECIAL TEAMS

PK: Brown
P: Stanley
KR: Swinton, Mathis
PR: Swinton, Mathis
LS: Make yourself useful McKinney (I can't see us taking up a roster spot for just a LS. Sorry, Pittman)

TAXI SQUAD:

Pettway (LB)
Symons (QB)
S. Thomas (WR)
Wishom (CB)
Hodgdon (OL)

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #20
SESupergenius

So are we going into the season with a 45 man roster??

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read