Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-25-2005   #1
God of Wine

Default Falcons @ Jags Game

Nice 80 yard drive by the Falcons, up 7-0. Dunn had like a 35 yard run on a nice draw play.
Old 08-25-2005   #2
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Matt Jones had a heck of a catch over the middle, sure bailed out Leftwich.
Old 08-25-2005   #3
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm looking at that game. I like the type of weapon Vick is. I'm looking for the Falcons to have a good year.
Old 08-25-2005   #4
Texas_Heat
Veteran

It's a good preseason game so far but the stadium looks kinda empty.
Greatest Metal Bands: #1 VENOM # 2 SLAYER.
Texas_Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #5
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Heat
It's a good preseason game so far but the stadium looks kinda empty.
Its like a monsoon there. They are getting the outer edge of the Hurricane.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #6
TigerBait
Veteran

Wasn't there an article about how bad Matt Jones was looking in TC? Said it looked like he was moving in slow motion compared to the times he posted at the combine. Or was that a joke?
TigerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #7
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Could just be thinking too much with the position switch. Or since he's so big he takes longer strides and appears slower, I'm not really sure. Whether the combine time is completely accurate or not, I think it's pretty clear he's got world class speed and athletic ability, especially for a guy his size.
ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-25-2005   #8
TigerBait
Veteran

Found it. Quite humerous, thats why i thought it could be a joke.

Quote:
Jaguars’ young receivers ruffling the feathers of their own

Jacksonville

We hear veterans on the Jaguars’ proud defense have been irked by the showmanship of second-year WR Reggie Williams. One observer says Williams has become a “junior T.O.” After dancing in the endzone to celebrate a score during practice drills a day before, Williams began talking trash and taunting CB Chris Thompson, another second-year player who was checking Williams in coverage. “Don’t try me, don’t try me,” was Williams’ cry to Thompson. When Thompson ripped the ball from Williams on a subsequent play, the entire defense shouted toward Williams, “Don’t try me, don’t try me.” One team captain, special-teams demon Nick Sorensen, was outspoken against Williams’ antics, as were a host of others. Team sources also say that rookie WR Matt Jones, questioned prior to the draft because of poor practice habits, has done nothing to prove those critics wrong. Jones hasn’t shown the great speed he did at the Scouting Combine. One fellow receiver says Jones appears to be “running in slow motion.”
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...?mode=afcsouth
Old 08-25-2005   #9
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

These are some sad receivers when it comes to catching the ball.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #10
Fldvldog
Veteran

Leftwich is looking good out there. He is very vocal, and is showing that he is a true leader on the field. If it wasn't for some of the recievers dropping balls, Leftwich would only have about 3 or 4 incompletions!

(Though, there is the outer effects of the hurricane -- it is raining cats and dogs out there!)

PS: How 'bout that Matt Jones catch!
Fldvldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBait

Matt Jones is looking like a much better pick than many gave the Jag's credit for ....One im sure the Texans DB's arent looking forward to dealing with twice a year . He went by Allen Rossum (the Falcons kick / punt returner) like he was stuck in mud on one play , Rossum is pretty fast himself . The long catch he made was quite impressive .
Part of that may be the fact he's 6'6" and takes long strides .... his speed is very decieving . Yeah , he's running in slow motion .... until he leaves you in the dust .
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #12
Davis37
All Pro

I think Matt Jones was a good pick for the Jags. I havent seen him play this preseason except for what Ive seen on ESPN, but the guy is big and athletic. I feel sorry for the DB's that gotta cover him in the red zone... I can already see Lefty and Jones hooking up like the ol' Moss-Culpepper connection.
Old 08-26-2005   #13
TigerBait
Veteran

Jones is an athletic freak, no question, and most definately posesses speed whether or not the combine was a fluke. Im just not sold on his hands and route running yet, but that comes along with most young raw recievers; Like Mathis. He did make that great catch but he didnt really show seperation from the DB's, not on any plays that i watched, but i was watching sparingly. At least twice i did see him go over the middle, and drop the ball immediately or after first contact. Not saying he will not become a good reciever eventually, but it will take time, and i don't think we need to "fear" him this year. His teammates are questioning his ability, so obviously hes not amazing as many of you claim.
Old 08-26-2005   #14
Fldvldog
Veteran

Quote:
Jones is an athletic freak, no question, and most definately posesses speed whether or not the combine was a fluke. Im just not sold on his hands and route running yet, but that comes along with most young raw recievers; Like Mathis. He did make that great catch but he didnt really show seperation from the DB's, not on any plays that i watched, but i was watching sparingly. At least twice i did see him go over the middle, and drop the ball immediately or after first contact. Not saying he will not become a good reciever eventually, but it will take time, and i don't think we need to "fear" him this year. His teammates are questioning his ability, so obviously hes not amazing as many of you claim.

His hands are (other than his height) the best quality of Matt Jones. He RARELY EVER drops a ball. I mean -- not many recievers in the league could make that one handed catch (Don't blast me, because I know that there is a couple). The guy is an athletic freak!

BTW, when did any of his teammates question his ability? Just curious? Link?
Fldvldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #15
TigerBait
Veteran

Quote:

Again, I know he did make that amazing catch, and it was awsome, but he doesn't make the easy catches consistantly yet, especially going over the middle. Hes a QB convert, his hands are not his best quality, it's his size and speed.
Old 08-26-2005   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
. Im just not sold on his hands and route running yet, .

I have to ask .... Did you SEE the catch he made in w/ just over a minute left in the first quarter ..... after leaping over a fallen defender extends and clutches the ball with One Hand while stumbling over the safety .... it was an amazing catch to say the least . (In the RAIN no less) .
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #17
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #18
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

If you ever get a chance to look at the gloves the WRs, RBs, and I assume DBs wear you'll see why some of these guys can make these incredible catches. One of our friends had AJ and DD's used gloves out at the tailgate last week and I was very surprised when I saw how the palms were coated with a very high friction rubber-like material. They are very sticky and I can see how they would work well in wet conditions. I mean this stuff would meet Lester Hayes' approval.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #19
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
If you ever get a chance to look at the gloves the WRs, RBs, and I assume DBs wear you'll see why some of these guys can make these incredible catches. One of our friends had AJ and DD's used gloves out at the tailgate last week and I was very surprised when I saw how the palms were coated with a very high friction rubber-like material. They are very sticky and I can see how they would work well in wet conditions. I mean this stuff would meet Lester Hayes' approval.
The Texans need to sign me for the league minimum and hook me up with a pair of those gloves and ill knock Bruener and Miller straight off the depth chart!
Old 08-26-2005   #20
TigerBait
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
I have to ask .... Did you SEE the catch he made in w/ just over a minute left in the first quarter ..... after leaping over a fallen defender extends and clutches the ball with One Hand while stumbling over the safety .... it was an amazing catch to say the least . (In the RAIN no less) .
OMG people, it's one catch. If you read up, I stated how yes it was an amazing catch, that is obvious, but ONE catch does not make a career, and it's surely nothing to base a WR's future on. Hell, even the worst players can get lucky every now and then; Im not saying it was luck, because Matt definately has the ability, but it's nothing to wet your pants about and rave at how good this guy will be. No one remembers the drops, just the athletic catches, and thats all I was trying to point out, that and supposedly how bad he has looked in camp. If he was such a god send, then trust me he would have been taken sooner, and it was a reach for the Jags to take him where they did. I think that Matt Jones will eventually become a good player, but like all WR's making a position change he will have to work on his hands to the point where he becomes consistent in his pass catching.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read