Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: capers stay or go
Stay 77 74.04%
Go 27 25.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2005   #21
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a common thread among bad teams is turnover in the head coaching position. Find a decent one and give him a chance. A chance is not three or four seasons.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #22
Crank_It_Up
Veteran

Capers? Yeah, I'll take him, by then I will have turned the big tuna into tunafish.
Old 08-26-2005   #23
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Ask the Czar:
Quote:
Dom Capers: After losing 32 games in his first three seasons, the word is that Houston owner Robert McNair would like to have a winning season this year. It's been tough for Capers in a division with the Colts, Titans and Jaguars. But the Titans are slipping and the schedule isn't too tough compared to others. Are the expectations too high? Not really. The Texans were 7-9 last season and swept the Jags and Titans. Going 10-6 makes sense to the front office.
Source: These players and coaches need to produce

I don't see McNair firing Capers unless we have a 6-10 or worse record.
Exascor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #24
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Capers will get his 5 years regardless of the outcome of this season I think. But after that, the Owner will have to make a change up to give his fans hope.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #25
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Going 10-6 makes sense to the front office.
Is there a smilie somewhere that shows it pulling a foreign object out of it's ***** .
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #26
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Smile

This poll should have been about Palmer
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005   #27
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

About 70/30 he stays right now, but if they go 7-9 again the numbers will reverse.

My vote is for giving Gary Kubiak a shot at head coach and promote Jon Hoke to Defensive Coordinator.

Last edited by the wonger need food; 08-27-2005 at 04:35 PM.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2005   #28
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I think.. unless there is a noticable flaw in our strategy for building a good team (meaning..something happens and it shows that we arent going to get anywhere under capers.. like players start leaving, or we go 1-15, or something bad like that).. he is going to be our Cowher. meaning.. hes gonna be here a looooooong time.

And im cool with that. hes intelligent, hes a good coach.. he runs a tight program.. and I think with the right personel he could take us to the superbowl.

hes here to stay.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005   #29
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

The idea that Capers has/will keep this team from success is ridiculous, IMO.
So is the idea that there should be some sort of arbitrary number to determine his employment status.

Capers knows football. He's a good teacher and communicator and he is respected by his players and assistants. Therefore, he shouldn't go anywhere. I do agree that if improvements aren't made in some areas that changes should happen. However, Casserly is in charge of such things. The only way I foresee Capers leaving is if Casserly demands certain coaching/philosophical changes that Capers blocks. If the organization gets to that point, only then would I expect Capers to go.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #30
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
About 70/30 he stays right now, but if they go 7-9 again the numbers will reverse.

My vote is for giving Gary Kubiak a shot at head coach and promote Jon Hoke to Defensive Coordinator.
I'd agree about Kubiak ...the Broncos line always seems to be darn good ...how many 1000 yard backs have they had over the last few years?

If Capers has a winning season he'll be ok .......even if we still miss the playoffs.

I also think we need a more aggressive Offensive Co-ordinator ...Palmer is too conservative.

Just had a thought how about the Colts O co-ordinator for a Head Coach role?
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #31
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
This poll should have been about Palmer
yeah too conserative and have never rated the guy.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #32
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86
Does no one believe in the five year plan anymore? I want a winning season as much as the next fan, but seriously, give the man his time.
I never did because I never believed in Capers.
Old 08-29-2005   #33
bckey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
Capers knows football. He's a good teacher and communicator and he is respected by his players and assistants. Therefore, he shouldn't go anywhere. I do agree that if improvements aren't made in some areas that changes should happen. However, Casserly is in charge of such things. The only way I foresee Capers leaving is if Casserly demands certain coaching/philosophical changes that Capers blocks. If the organization gets to that point, only then would I expect Capers to go.
Capers knows defense not offense and I don't know that he is a good teacher and communicator. Every interview I have ever seen him in will put you to sleep. He alway puts a positive spin on everything. He never seems to show any intensity. Get in a players a** once in a while when he screws up. Throw your clipboard at a ref or punch Palmer for calling that stupid near lateral pass to AJ 5 times a game. Show some fire! This is football! I saw enough combing the hair over with his hand and clapping to positively reinforce our players when the chips were down from Pardee. Just rewatch the Oilers/Bills game. Give Hoke a shot if Dom can't show improvent this season.
Old 08-29-2005   #34
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with a new OC but Capers is a great head coach and I would hate to see the Head coach change every three-four years. Thats why Clevlend and San Fran look so bad
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #35
bckey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17
I agree with a new OC but Capers is a great head coach and I would hate to see the Head coach change every three-four years. Thats why Clevlend and San Fran look so bad
I don't think that is the whole picture. I think those teams have some bad players and have made bad draft picks and bad free agent pick ups. Coaching changes don't always have a negative effect. I do agree that you shouldn't have a revolving door.
Old 08-30-2005   #36
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
Capers knows defense not offense and I don't know that he is a good teacher and communicator. Every interview I have ever seen him in will put you to sleep. He alway puts a positive spin on everything. He never seems to show any intensity. Get in a players a** once in a while when he screws up. Throw your clipboard at a ref or punch Palmer for calling that stupid near lateral pass to AJ 5 times a game. Show some fire! This is football! I saw enough combing the hair over with his hand and clapping to positively reinforce our players when the chips were down from Pardee. Just rewatch the Oilers/Bills game. Give Hoke a shot if Dom can't show improvent this season.

Why does his interaction with the media and the way he handles himself with modesty and respect in public say to you that he doesn't have fire or intensity.. How he behaves in front of a camera has very little to do with his ability to fire up the team and says nothing about whether or not he challenges players individually. Capers isn't about himself. He has self control and is no-nonsense. He doesn't want or need to be the story, be written or talked about, etc... His players and former players respect him. People around the league ( coaches who've worked with him) respect him and I see no indication that he hasn't been coaching and teaching this team well.

As a team, we've improved steadily each season. We don't have chronic problems with turnovers, penalties, or undisciplined play. Last year we were a couple of players away from challenging for the playoffs. If we were an NFC team we may have been in the playoffs last year. The team has added players and subtracted some this offseason as well. They are further along in their plan and the guys that arrived here as rookies the past three seasons are becoming veterans. How about fans having enough respect to wait and see how the season shakes out before condemning everything the team is doing??
Old 08-30-2005   #37
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

One of my favorite Capers' quotes:

"We are going to understate and overperform"... that's his philosophy and one that he certainly lives by. Therefore, you won't see him bringing attention to himself. He will work his butt off and expect everyone around him to do the same. Only a fool would say that the team hasn't at least met expectations each of the first three seasons. Why is it that everyone assumes it won't happen again.

For those who lack the ability to be reasonable. Here is what you should expect: A significantly improved team in all three facets. A team that doesn't look outmatched against any teams in the NFL- though there will of course be a couple ugly games. And, depending on injuries somewhere between 8-10 wins. Of course, if we lose Carr, Wade, Pitts, Dunta, Payne, etc... for most of the season then we may end up closer to 6. Settle down and enjoy the first season where we will have playoff hopes in December.
Old 08-30-2005   #38
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
One of my favorite Capers' quotes:

"We are going to understate and overperform"... that's his philosophy and one that he certainly lives by. Therefore, you won't see him bringing attention to himself. He will work his butt off and expect everyone around him to do the same. Only a fool would say that the team hasn't at least met expectations each of the first three seasons. Why is it that everyone assumes it won't happen again.

For those who lack the ability to be reasonable. Here is what you should expect: A significantly improved team in all three facets. A team that doesn't look outmatched against any teams in the NFL- though there will of course be a couple ugly games. And, depending on injuries somewhere between 8-10 wins. Of course, if we lose Carr, Wade, Pitts, Dunta, Payne, etc... for most of the season then we may end up closer to 6. Settle down and enjoy the first season where we will have playoff hopes in December.
Humor beyond reason.....................

Based on the team play we have seen so far we will be lucky to make it to the .500 mark. So far there are no signs of cohesion on this ball club. My favorite quote is "If only they would execute". And then their are the amazing statements like he saw a lot of great things in the Dallas game. Well, going back to last season's Brown's game, we can say 3 of the last 4 have looked pretty bad and that might be an understatement. I supose that's what he means by understating.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005   #39
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Humor beyond reason.....................

Based on the team play we have seen so far we will be lucky to make it to the .500 mark. So far there are no signs of cohesion on this ball club. My favorite quote is "If only they would execute". And then their are the amazing statements like he saw a lot of great things in the Dallas game. Well, going back to last season's Brown's game, we can say 3 of the last 4 have looked pretty bad and that might be an understatement. I supose that's what he means by understating.

Preseason!!! I saw some great things Saturday as well. How about the fact that our Oline shoved the Dallas front 7 backwards on every run play in the first half. How about the fact that the pass protection was better than it's been since the team formed. How about the fact that we had 2 huge returns on special teams. How about the fact that the 1st team defense got pressure on Bledsoe. How about Peek beating Flozell Adams on an inside move and sacking Bledsoe. How about the fact that Dallas starting offensive unit played into the third quarter and never converted 1 third down attempt.

It can be true that the team played sloppy, that Carr was off-target, that Andre and Corey dropped some passes and that Roy Williams made Todd Wade look goofy on one play-- and at the same time, some very good things happened as well. The preseason isn't about winning games, it's about preparing for the regular season, grading/evaluating players, etc...
Old 08-30-2005   #40
The Preacher
Veteran

[quote=Ibar_Harry]Humor beyond reason.....................

Based on the team play we have seen so far we will be lucky to make it to the .500 mark. So far there are no signs of cohesion on this ball club.

How does anybody think they can remotely gauge the success of a 16 game season off of a handful of series in the preseason? The starters have basically played only one half of football. For one to recognize the level of cohesion in that amount of time seems impossible.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read