Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: capers stay or go
Stay 77 74.04%
Go 27 25.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2005   #1
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan
Default Capers stay or go post .500

if we dont make the play-offs or have a +.500 record how many would like to see Capers Stay with the Texans Or them let him go.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #2
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Making the playoffs would be great but it isn't my standard for whether he's still here. I'd like a winning record, and I want there to be significant progress on the offense and for the defense to come together with all the new pieces. I think if we make any rash decisions just because we miss the playoffs and go 8-8 or something like that, we will just be asking for a few more years of mediocrity as a new coach comes in and rebuilds the team.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #3
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
Making the playoffs would be great but it isn't my standard for whether he's still here. I'd like a winning record, and I want there to be significant progress on the offense and for the defense to come together with all the new pieces. I think if we make any rash decisions just because we miss the playoffs and go 8-8 or something like that, we will just be asking for a few more years of mediocrity as a new coach comes in and rebuilds the team.

i agree i think he's a great coach, its just with all the "fire" threads at the end of the season, i just wanted to see peoples opinion now and then after the season.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #4
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Capers stays if we have a nice season and could if we dont.

See: Cleveland Browns.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless we absolutely tank (which I doubt we will), Capers will be here one more year at the least.

The guy has taken a raw expansion team and has increased our wins each season. Just because we're not in the playoffs doesn't mean we're a horrible team.

If he can't get us to the playoffs in the next couple of years...then I think we'll see some activity by the front office. But this season can't be much of a make-or-break seaosn for Capers after what he's done thus far.

That's my two cents.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #6
Texas_Heat
Veteran

Capers stays if they go 7-9 or better.
Greatest Metal Bands: #1 VENOM # 2 SLAYER.
Texas_Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #7
Texans86
All Pro

Does no one believe in the five year plan anymore? I want a winning season as much as the next fan, but seriously, give the man his time.
Old 08-25-2005   #8
Diehardtexan
Veteran

Are you people posting just for the heck of it? The season hasn't even started yet and you are posting to see if Caper stay or go. Give it up. :brickwall
Diehardtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #9
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Heat
Capers stays if they go 7-9 or better.

Couldnt agree more , This team is at least 3 - 4 players away from a serious play-off contender ...

LT .... They MUST get someone tp protect Carr's blindside , i Highly doubt this player is on the roster now , ive heard enough about Wands potential . Its time to get a quality player either in the draft or Free agency .

Someone to put some heat on the opponent's QB be it a lineman or LB . For all those who think Antwan Peek is the answer here .... he's got a grand total of 3 sacks in the past two years with the Texans and predominantly see's action on passing downs ..... has looked pretty poor this pre-season in the pass rushing department . His cover skills and ability to contain the outside are seriously suspect .
Jason Babin had a decent rookie season but wasnt the be all end all pass rushing monster that Casserly and Capers made him out to be . He does play the run fairly well and has decent cover skills .

WR .... The really need someone to take some of the pressure off of Andre Johnson . Cory Bradford IS NOT the answer . Gaffney is a solid #3 ... Kendrick Starling , LaTarence Dunbar , Sloan Thomas , Devin Pitts , Reggie Swinton , Jerome Mathis , Kevin Kasper , Donovan Morgan .... could one of these guy's be the answer ?

TE ..... They have a need for a TE who can both block well and catch the ball not just one or the other . Its possible that Matt Murphy could be that guy ..... we'll have to wait and see .

Overall the Texans have good talent at most positions but just not enough to make them serious play off contenders . Capers should get another year or two to build this team . It falls upon Him and Casserly to upgrade their weaknesses ...7-9 would be a reasonable record for this team .
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #10
Crank_It_Up
Veteran

Capers should stay even if we finish with a 6 - 10 record. I do however expect to see the defense improve as the season goes on. Hopefully they will slowly gel into a better than average defense by season's end.

With a few changes on the offense for next season, we could easily make the playoffs. Patience is a virtue.

Old 08-25-2005   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86
Does no one believe in the five year plan anymore? I want a winning season as much as the next fan, but seriously, give the man his time.
I'm sooo glad to hear someone else mention the "5 Year Plan". Besides, IMO, McNair didn't get to be a billionaire by making knee-jerk reactions. He's in this for the long haul and the standard to which all other NFL owners should be held to.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #12
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 79515 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a big fan of stability... the last NFL expansion team coach in Texas didn't get to .500 until the team's sixth year.... went on to have a pretty good run after that.

I vote he gets 5 years no matter what.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Just look at what he did in Carolina when he had the players to execute his system , he took them to the NFC champoinship game in the second year .... That was a veteran filled team built on free agency ... sure they got to the play-off's in a hurry but what happened to that team the following year when it was basicly torn apart by salary cap troubles .They were a BAD team for several years after that ..... From the Houston texans site ...http://www.houstontexans.com/team/co...l.php?PRKey=49

Quote:
In 1996, the Panthers shook up the league by winning their final seven regular-season games, resulting in a 12-4 record and the NFC West title. Carolina then defeated defending Super Bowl champion Dallas in the divisional playoffs before bowing to Green Bay in the NFC Championship Game at Lambeau Field. The Panthers, riding a defensive unit that ranked second in the league in points allowed, posted a 9-0 home record (including playoffs). Eight Panthers played in the Pro Bowl. Capers was named Coach of the Year by the Associated Press, among numerous other honors.

The Panthers posted records of 7-9 and 4-12 the next two seasons, resulting in Capersí dismissal.
Who wants to go thru 4-12 again ?

I like how they are building the team thru the draft . In this day and age with the salary cap there isnt any better way to build a long term competitive team than what Capers and Casserly have done .

Long gone are the days when the 49'ers and Cowboys go out and buy champoinship rosters thru free agency without paying for it severly in the long term .

Last edited by Corrosion; 08-25-2005 at 10:10 PM.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #14
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

He will get one more year, and if they don't make the playoffs next year. Capers will be gone. But I believe he will be here for at least one more.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #15
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

if we go 5-11 or worse, he may go... but I doubt that'll happen. If he did, I'd like to see him stay on as our defensive coordinator.

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourge
if we go 5-11 or worse, he may go... but I doubt that'll happen. If he did, I'd like to see him stay on as our defensive coordinator.
Good idea, but it'll never happen. Capers is gonna lead us to the Promised Land. At least that's what the Kickin' Chicken is tellin' me.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #17
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
Couldnt agree more , This team is at least 3 - 4 players away from a serious play-off contender ...

LT .... They MUST get someone tp protect Carr's blindside , i Highly doubt this player is on the roster now , ive heard enough about Wands potential . Its time to get a quality player either in the draft or Free agency .

Someone to put some heat on the opponent's QB be it a lineman or LB . For all those who think Antwan Peek is the answer here .... he's got a grand total of 3 sacks in the past two years with the Texans and predominantly see's action on passing downs ..... has looked pretty poor this pre-season in the pass rushing department . His cover skills and ability to contain the outside are seriously suspect .
Jason Babin had a decent rookie season but wasnt the be all end all pass rushing monster that Casserly and Capers made him out to be . He does play the run fairly well and has decent cover skills .

WR .... The really need someone to take some of the pressure off of Andre Johnson . Cory Bradford IS NOT the answer . Gaffney is a solid #3 ... Kendrick Starling , LaTarence Dunbar , Sloan Thomas , Devin Pitts , Reggie Swinton , Jerome Mathis , Kevin Kasper , Donovan Morgan .... could one of these guy's be the answer ?

TE ..... They have a need for a TE who can both block well and catch the ball not just one or the other . Its possible that Matt Murphy could be that guy ..... we'll have to wait and see .

Overall the Texans have good talent at most positions but just not enough to make them serious play off contenders . Capers should get another year or two to build this team . It falls upon Him and Casserly to upgrade their weaknesses ...7-9 would be a reasonable record for this team .
Couldnt have said it better myself. I agree with everything you said.
Old 08-26-2005   #18
TexHorns
Veteran

Capers should stay. He is a smart guy. He has had some problems with the oline because of boselli and joppru but besides that he and casserly have done a great job in there first few years. He hasnt had any major mistakes or bad calls so IMO he stays. I couldnt expect anyone to do a better job given the time frame. IMO people have to look at what a coach has to work with and the situation that they are in before they can judge what they are capable of. Until I can find some reason that capers is at fault then I will have capers back all the way. I am a little drunk so I hope I am making sense?
TexHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #19
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is my opinion, I dont think capers has anything to worry about. I think the real person on the hot seat is going to be our D coordinator. With as much speed and youth and all the draft picks over the last few years for the D to once again have the fewest sacks and finish middle of the pack that will be unacceptable.

But then again I grew up in the Glanville/Buddy Ryan years where our D played like they had a pair.
TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #20
fingers5
Rookie

Default Stay With a Caveat

The man should get one more season as long as we do not see any more games like the Cleveland debacle. That was an absolute embarrasment. The only coaches who should REALLY be on the hot seat are Palmer and 'O'Line
fingers5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read