Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 08-24-2005   #1
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro
Default winston thread

i was just thinking about this and with the new ncaa season about to start i had this question come in...we know that with riley starting at LT for us that OT is the position we will target in next years draft...now with us facing the colts with freeney twice a year i think we need someone with quicker feet...we also saw how he used his short leverage to beat jon ogden in the baltimore game...so maybe a more agile shorter tackle is the way we should go...so i give ya'll a question...is eric winston of miami at 6'4'' 310lbs the best choice for us given that he stays healthy this season?
Old 08-24-2005   #2
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

He'd be a good choice but who knows if he'd be the best choice. He's also a lot closer to 6'7 than 6'4.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #3
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I've read some things about this guy and how he was a tremendous prospect
and wanted to come out after the 2004 season, but suffered a season ending knee injury. Don't we have to wait to see if he has come back from that injury ? Perhaps you've already seen some reports about his successful
recovery from the injury ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #4
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

guy sounds pretty good. sorta concerned about the injury though.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #5
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

This is definately the draft to trade up and get one of the left tackles, whoever they choose to get. I wasnt a big fan up trading up but I think it would be a really good idea to do it this year to shore up a glaring weakness since day 1.
Old 08-24-2005   #6
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65
guy sounds pretty good. sorta concerned about the injury though.
It would probably be more of a concern if he was a RB, but I dont feel that Winston will be greatly affected with the knee injury he suffered last year. Although, rolling up on someone is also a possiblity when playing in the trenches. He seems like a good prospect and you really cant go wrong with Miami players.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #7
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
It would probably be more of a concern if he was a RB, but I dont feel that Winston will be greatly affected with the knee injury he suffered last year. Although, rolling up on someone is also a possiblity when playing in the trenches. He seems like a good prospect and you really cant go wrong with Miami players.
There are some Miami players I would have thought were good but turned out to be questionable: Kellen and Sean Taylor come t0 mind.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-24-2005   #8
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst
There are some Miami players I would have thought were good but turned out to be questionable: Kellen and Sean Taylor come t0 mind.
you don't have to worry about winston turing into a sean or kellen. he should be fully recovered and back to his usual self. the practice reports say he is the only positive on a pretty bad line so far. he is also a pretty good leader and doesn't get into stuff off the field. if you want a quick guy then he is your man, reported 4.8 before the injury last year.
Old 08-25-2005   #9
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

D'Brickashaw Ferguson Likely would have been the first OT Taken in this years draft had he come out ... but would likely require a top 3 pick . Winston is probably the second choice of most scouts at this time ... but its still a long way to next years draft . Anything can happen .
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005   #10
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

If Ferguson is gone, which he will be, then Winston hopefully falls. Unless Riley truns into a rpo bowl player, ill be upset if the Texans dont take a LT with the first pick, whether it be Winston, or J.Scott.
Old 08-28-2005   #11
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

If Riley does well in our system, that would leave me to believe that McNeill could play LT for us. I mean he is the size of Jon Ogden and has played LT at a big time college for the past couple of years. And most likely has the same if not better foot quickness than Riley.
Old 09-05-2005   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

FYI - Winston and team mates in action tonight vs FSU on national TV, ABC
@ 7:00PM - 9/5, Labor Day
Old 09-05-2005   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

howa about this, we all watch the Miami/Florida State game tonight and scout Winston & see if in fact he is recovered and two if he would be able to come in next year as a rookie and make the Texans 1st team? At this time I fail to see why we would need to trade up to draft him, he is listed as the #6 OT in the 2006 draft. surely the Texans are not going to be so good he would be outta reach when our pick is announced, that would make at least 5/6 OT's in the first round alone, I'll leave four spots open for underclassman to declare which could include Omar Jacobs-QB, Reggie Bush-RB, Laurence Maroney-RB, Darnell Bing-SS, Ahmad Brooks-LB, Haloti, Ngata-NT, just to name a few. personally I feel a good OT will still be available in the 2nd rd. what the Texans and Carr really need is a big time offensive weapon off the line of scrimmage and from this list it has to be the Mercedes
  • Matt Leinart-QB
  • Reggie McNeal-QB
  • DeAngelo Williams-RB
  • Jason Avant-WR
  • Travis Wilson-WR
  • Mercedes Lewis-TE
  • Marcus McNeil-OT
  • D'Brickshaw Ferguson-OT
  • Andrew Whitworth-OT
  • Ryan O'Callaghan-OT
  • Jonaathan Scott-OT
  • Eric Winston-OT
  • Greg Eslinger-C
  • Nick Mangold-C
  • Max Jean-Giles-G
  • Darryl Trapp-OLB
  • Mathias Kiwanuka-OLB
  • Gabriel Watson-DT
  • Orien Harris-DT
  • Jonathan Lewis-DT
  • Abdul Hodge-ILB
  • Chad Greenway-LB
  • A.J. Hawk-LB
  • Jason Allen-CB
  • Jimmy Wilson-CB
  • Daniel Bullocks-SS
  • Darrell Brooks-FS
  • Pat Watkins-FS
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #14
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
FYI - Winston and team mates in action tonight vs FSU on national TV, ABC
@ 7:00PM - 9/5, Labor Day
The Miami-Florida St. game is always a good one to watch some top NFL prospects. I'll definately be watching again this year.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #15
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Winston essentially got beat on that interception, didn't look good for those projecting him against Freeney. Just one play though.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

FSU OL using zone blocking, huh.
Anyway, Winston waddles like a duck when he runs. Maybe favoring one
knee from last years injury, or just normal for him. He may be big and strong
with alot of size, but does not appear to be very athletic.
Old 09-05-2005   #17
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected

Winston just got punked trying to chase the play. He didn't really see it coming though.

Old 09-05-2005   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

your right, I also feel that Winston would struggle against Freeney & other more athletic ends. seems like he has lost some footspeed, I doubt very much he can still run a 4.8 as reported which is reflected in his rateing maybe only the 6th best draft eligable OT this year in College Football. This is a good test because Florida State usually has a good defense, hence last years #1 pick of the Texans TJ.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005   #19
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Running a 4.8 isn't too important to stop Freeney, but if he's lost some agility that would definitely factor in.

Old 09-05-2005   #20
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Hes a big guy and from watching him play tonight hes not bad but theres others out there who may prove to be better this season. I guess we will see.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read