Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-24-2005   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A great move by Casserly...

Drew Henson.

I know that this board has been debating the acquisition of Tony Hollings, which has led to the obligatory "Casserly's an *****" diatribe.

At least Hollings has made some plays for us. Drafting Henson and then dishing him to the Cowgirls was awesome! He's doing absolutely nothing for the Cowgirls and has kept them from adding other QBs that could have helped them far better.

There's nothing like buying low and selling high.

Now we can watch Henson slowly lurch toward the waiver wire, knowing we helped the Cowgirls make a dumb move by taking Henson and giving us compensation for their mistake.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #2
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Also, we have Phillip Buchanan due to the Drew Henson 3rd round draft pick (and a 2nd).

Smooth move Casserly.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #3
SESupergenius

Hollings IS a bust and the jury is still out on Buchanon.
Old 08-24-2005   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

That's why they call it an inexact science. Hollings, I agree is a bust. But I don't fault CC for taking the chance. As someone noted before, at the time that Casserly made the move to get Hollings, the RB situation was dire.

Nobody knew how Domanick Davis was going to turn out, but Casserly took a chance on him before the other GMs did. Drew Henson said he would NEVER quit baseball, but Casserly took the chance.

Casserly isn't perfect. But there are quite a few GMs out there who have done a lot worse.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #5
SESupergenius

Is that what we are using now, "well we could have done worse".

Oh my. IF our situations was dire (I disagree) then we reached big time for Hollings. And coming from a coaching crew that always spews best-player-available I find that hard to believe. Hollings had no where near the potential to justify wasting a 2nd round pick. He had MAJOR surgery for crying out loud. "We are excited about drafting Tony," Texans general manager Charley Casserly said. "He showed excellent promise as a player last year." Promise? He showed promise in getting injured after only 4 CAREER games at rb. Was there not a red flag right there that he had durability issues going against less than average competition? C'mon man, wake up.
Old 08-24-2005   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

It is borderline silly IMO to act like a knee injury playing Miami (top tier competition) is less of a concern than one playing against Baylor (less than average competition). Knee injuries happen at every level of football, period. You have some good arguments about Hollings though--that just isn't one of them.
Old 08-24-2005   #7
SESupergenius

Vanderbilt, Clemson, UCon, and BYU. Those are the ONLY games we were basing our #2 draft pick on. 4 games. All against less than average defenses. If a player gets injured in just 4 games and tears not one, but 2 ligaments, then I'd call that a durability issue when he comes to the pros. He'd had to fully recover both mentally and physically from that injury. And mentally he's only been playing RB at the college level for 4 total games, an injury like that doesn't give him the confidence to bounce back easily as it would if he were a veteran at that position.
Sponsored links
Old 08-24-2005   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Were we not interested in Willis McGahee who had one of the most gruesome knee injuries you can have? Yes granted he produced at Miami, but no one knew if he would ever play again at that level. Luck of the draw...
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #9
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think hitting 40% in the draft is doing good . Start doing the math and lets see .

Hollings was a risk . He may be a bust , but you absolutely have to take some calculated risk .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #10
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
It is borderline silly IMO to act like a knee injury playing Miami (top tier competition) is less of a concern than one playing against Baylor (less than average competition). Knee injuries happen at every level of football, period. You have some good arguments about Hollings though--that just isn't one of them.
Ouch. That one hurt a bit Cak.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #11
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
:you absolutely have to take some calculated risk .
What the heck are you talking about. Everything MUST be a sure thing or we have to fire someone dang it. Get my gun Tress, I think I have to shoot someone for saying that we can have gold plated picks all the time.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Ouch. That one hurt a bit Cak.
Sorry, someone had to come out on the short end of that one--they were the unlucky 1st ones that came to mind.
Old 08-24-2005   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
If a player gets injured in just 4 games and tears not one, but 2 ligaments, then I'd call that a durability issue when he comes to the pros.
This is the part I am disagreeing with. Knee injuries in the vast majority of cases are flukes of bad luck resulting from the turf, the shoes worn and how the player gets hit, etc. They are a risk in practice, playing pick up basketball or in any game at any time. There is simply no logical reason to conclude a player who blows a knee in the 1st game of the season is more injury prone than a player who blows their knee in the last game of the season. That is just when the hit went wrong. Similarly the level of competition is irrelevant. It really doesn't matter if it is Ray Lewis who hits you at just the wrong angle or Joe 245 lb 4th Stinger who hits you at just the wrong angle. Are you going to claim a RB who blew their knee in pop warner is the most injury prone RB out there even if they have played 12 years since without a hitch?
Old 08-24-2005   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

All I know is that Casserly isn't listening to the fans that cry the loudest.

We passed on Winslow...turned out to be a smart idea. He's a walking nightmare.

We didn't trade up to get Dante Hall. I think D-Rob has proven that he was a value pick at his draft position.

We took Andre Johnson, and didn't bite the bait to trade up to get Charles Rogers. I think Casserly drafted the better WR in that situation.

We didn't sell the farm to get Sean Taylor. Another great display of discipline by our front office (Taylor and Winslow must be related).

And this past draft, we had so many "Draft Derrick Johnson" activists...I thought maybe he was running for Texas Governor or something. We passed on him and got what he hope to be a value pick once again.

Yes, there are some draft choices that are (in my opinion) yet-to-be-determined. I'm a huge Babin fan, but I gotta' admit I think this is a make-or-break seaosn for him. Hollings can still be in the RB mix for this season, in my opinion, but this is also probably his last season to show his worth. Other than that, I cannot really see how some fans are so convinced that our front office has done a bad job of drafting. What has Detroit got to show? They have a trio of star WRs...and you know what? They'll do poorly again this year because we drafted the better QB that year.

Overall, Casserly has done a pretty solid job. And at this point, it's up to the players on the field to get the job done. Let a lot of the pressure rest on the shoulders of the guys who get paid millions of dollars to play a game. We'll get as far into the post-season as they will allow. We have the talent to get there, but those guys have got to find a way to win the close games consistently. Maybe this year will be the year that we close the gap. I think it's the lack of post-season play that has got a lot of fans hollering about the draft picks...and to me, the two just don't go hand-in-hand when you look at what I consider to be a fairly good job of drafting by the front office. No team in the NFL drafts "perfectly," but I think a lot of teams draft poorly because they go for the sexy pick each time...and it shows when they are right back in the top 5 of the draft the next year...and the next year....and the next year....etc. We're not one of those teams, and I think it's been blown out of proportion lately.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #15
SESupergenius

My contention is that when a player blows out a knew that he then becomes a durability risk. (see Rogers from Detroit) If you've played 39 games and blow out your knee then you become a risk. If you play 4 games and blow out your knee you still become a risk. Even more so when you have not faced tough competition (ie McGahee vs OSU) and when you've played the position at the level in ONLY 4 games. Given that Hollings has had the injury and then has had numberous injuries just with the Texans makes proves my point.
Old 08-24-2005   #16
SESupergenius

So far Casserly is hitting 30% from the draft for starters. That seems pretty low, especially for a team that had just started out.

1 1 David Carr QB Fresno State
2 33 Jabar Gaffney WR Florida
2 50 Chester Pitts G San Diego State
3 66 Fred Weary G Tennessee
3 83 Charles Hill NT Maryland
4 99 Jonathan Wells RB Ohio State
5 136 Jarrod Baxter FB New Mexico
5 153 Ramon Walker SS Pittsburgh
6 173 Demarcus Faggins CB Kansas State
6 190 Howard Green DT Louisiana State
7 229 Greg White DE Minnesota
7 261 Ahmad Miller

2 starters out of 12 = 17%

1 3 Andre Johnson WR Miami
2 41 Bennie Joppru TE Michigan
3 67 Antwan Peek OLB Cincinnati
3 75 Seth Wand T N.W. Missouri
3 88 Dave Ragone QB Louisville
4 101 Domanick Davis RB Louisiana State
6 192 Drew Henson QB Michigan
6 214 Keith Wright DT Missouri
7 217 Curry Burns DB Louisville
7 233 Chance Pearce C Texas A&M

4 starters out of 10 = 40%

1 10 Dunta Robinson CB South Carolina
1 27 Jason Babin OLB Western Michigan
4 122 Glenn Earl SS Notre Dame
6 170 Vontez Duff DB Notre Dame
6 175 Jammal Lord DB Nebraska
6 200 Charlie Anderson OLB Mississippi
7 210 Raheem Orr LB Rutgers
7 211 Sloan Thomas WR Texas
7 248 B.J. Symons QB Texas Tech

3 starters out of 9 = 33%

9 starters out of 31 pics Total = 30%
Old 08-24-2005   #17
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is that what we are using now, "well we could have done worse".

Oh my. IF our situations was dire (I disagree) then we reached big time for Hollings. And coming from a coaching crew that always spews best-player-available I find that hard to believe. Hollings had no where near the potential to justify wasting a 2nd round pick. He had MAJOR surgery for crying out loud. "We are excited about drafting Tony," Texans general manager Charley Casserly said. "He showed excellent promise as a player last year." Promise? He showed promise in getting injured after only 4 CAREER games at rb. Was there not a red flag right there that he had durability issues going against less than average competition? C'mon man, wake up.
I already told you that he wasn't perfect, SES! Yeah, the 2nd round pick turned out be a bust. I agree. OK?!

So what do want out of him? Do you want him to step down? Do you want McNair to fire him? Do you want him on get on Sports 610, and scream "I blew the 2nd round pick on Hollings. Are you happy now, SESupergenius?"

God, isn't there just one day of the week where you don't wake up on the wrong side of the bed?
Old 08-24-2005   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I might be veering a little off topic but I completely fail to understand the glee that many posters seem to get over the idea that Drew Henson will not pan out. I just don't get it. I'm sure I'm in the minority here when I say that Drew Henson might be the only Dallas Cowboy player I have even a little bit of interest in and personally I'd like to see him succeed.

I won't take any satisfaction from him busting. I'm glad we turned a 6 into a 3 but it wasn't like Casserly turned water into wine. He got a 3 for a 6. That's it.
Old 08-24-2005   #19
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So far Casserly is hitting 30% from the draft for starters. That seems pretty low, especially for a team that had just started out.

9 starters out of 31 pics Total = 30%
Seems pretty low??? And how did the other GMs do during that same time period?
Old 08-24-2005   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I might be veering a little off topic but I completely fail to understand the glee that many posters seem to get over the idea that Drew Henson will not pan out. I just don't get it. I'm sure I'm in the minority here when I say that Drew Henson might be the only Dallas Cowboy player I have even a little bit of interest in and personally I'd like to see him succeed.
Basically, it's like this. I've hated the Cowboys ever since I was a kid. I always root for them to lose. With that in mind, I would hate to see the Cowboys get a bargain for giving up a 3rd round pick. I would like to see the 3rd round pick be the bargain. Nothing personal. It's just an anti-Cowboy thing.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read