Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-22-2005   #1
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cedris Benson: What Is He Thinking?

Bears' Final Offer

What a way to start your NFL career.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #2
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Wilboun on PTI made a good point. As a 1st round RB, you are only going to get one shot at a big contract because of the way you are going to be used. Take Edge for example, now that he is looking for big money everyone is saying that he is getting old and his "tires" are getting worn out. This is Benson's one chance to make the big money especailly since he is a back that will pound the ball between the tackles constantly...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #3
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

And it is also a chance for him to crash and burn and not play worth and a sack full of hammers. Sorry, I just don't feel that a rookie who has never played a down in the pros has any place holding out.

Besides the Bears have played this game with a back before, does Curtis Enis ring a bell?
Old 08-22-2005   #4
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Wilboun on PTI made a good point. As a 1st round RB, you are only going to get one shot at a big contract because of the way you are going to be used. Take Edge for example, now that he is looking for big money everyone is saying that he is getting old and his "tires" are getting worn out. This is Benson's one chance to make the big money especailly since he is a back that will pound the ball between the tackles constantly...
Agreed.

But Cedric is holding out because he thinks he should get a contract equivalent to that of Phillip Rivers' from last year because Rivers was the 4th overall pick. He's holding out thinking he's going to get a bigger contract than the 2nd overall pick who also happens to be a RB. It's simply not going to happen. What the Bears have offered is more than fair (more than what Cadillac Williams got from Tampa Bay, less than what Ronnie Brown got from Miami). Cedric's just being really stupid about this.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #5
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

like I said when the bears drafted him, he won't want to play for the bears
he was was kind of crying when he got drafted and, i said after that those were tears of sadness not of joy, but yall didnt believe me
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #6
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Troy Williamson was crying when he was drafted by the Vikings.

Same reason?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is Benson's one chance to make the big money especailly since he is a back that will pound the ball between the tackles constantly...
I'm fresh out of sympathy, everyone has signed but him and the market for
2005 is set. At this point I can only imagine that he msut be getting very
bad advise from his agent.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2005   #8
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
FIne. However, isnt 17 million bucks in guranateed money "big money" in the NFL? I mean he is the 4th rd pick and a rb. He cannot expect to make more then the number 1, 2, or 3 picks. This offer is more then fair in my mind. In fact if I was Chicago I would consider cutting he offer every week he is not there.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #9
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Question: If he does not sign with the Bears what would happen? Does he go back into the draft or does he become a FA and able to sign with anyone? Perhaps this is a passive agressive attempt to not play for Chicago?

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #10
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
... everyone has signed but him and the market for
2005 is set. At this point I can only imagine that he msut be getting very
bad advise from his agent.
I tend to agree with you about that. I think it was 610 that asked Charlie Casserley about this, and he didn't want to get into details but basically said they start out by showing the player and his agent how the contracts have increased by percentages for the past several years for guys picked in a similar position. They then make a contract offer accordingly, and if they're receptive to it then the deal gets done fairly quickly. However, once the players around the pick start getting signed and everyone starts to get slotted they make a contract offer according to the players drafted around the draft pick and dont budge much out of that realm whether it's more or less (generally less than offered before). I heard the interview a few days ago so I might have missed a few details but that was the meat of it. Ced isn't going to get the Bears to budge much now that everyone around him is signed.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
However, once the players around the pick start getting signed and everyone starts to get slotted they make a contract offer according to the players drafted around the draft pick and dont budge much out of that realm
Precisely. The #3 pick, B.Edwards with the Lions and the #5 pick, C.Williams with the Bucs is the Markets range set for Benson: #5 money is the floor and #3 money is the ceiling. Pretty simple right ? Should be, but apparently Benson wants as much or more than Edwards is getting and I can't blame the Bears for telling him to take a hike.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #12
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst
Question: If he does not sign with the Bears what would happen? Does he go back into the draft or does he become a FA and able to sign with anyone? Perhaps this is a passive agressive attempt to not play for Chicago?
He will go back into the draft next year...

I heard that he is still using his agent that he used when he signed the minor league deal to play for the Rockies. Baseball agents are so hard-headed that he could also be a factor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
I tend to agree with you about that. I think it was 610 that asked Charlie Casserley about this, and he didn't want to get into details but basically said they start out by showing the player and his agent how the contracts have increased by percentages for the past several years for guys picked in a similar position. They then make a contract offer accordingly, and if they're receptive to it then the deal gets done fairly quickly. However, once the players around the pick start getting signed and everyone starts to get slotted they make a contract offer according to the players drafted around the draft pick and dont budge much out of that realm whether it's more or less (generally less than offered before). I heard the interview a few days ago so I might have missed a few details but that was the meat of it. Ced isn't going to get the Bears to budge much now that everyone around him is signed.
The problem may also be the percent increase because a QB was the 4th pick (Rivers) last year and may have gotten more money than the 3rd pick (Fitzgarald) but I'm not sure what the contracts were so i'll have to find that out. Benson may be trying to get the full percent increase but since he is going off of QB money, the Bears may not want to give him the full increase.

Sticky situation, I hope he signs soon...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #13
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 50323 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23
he was was kind of crying when he got drafted and, i said after that those were tears of sadness not of joy, but yall didnt believe me
WWED

What Would Eli Do?
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #14
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dunta cried like a baby when we drafted him.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #15
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

alright im gonna, appoligize for that comment, but to me it looked like benson wasnt to happy to be drafted by the bears and him not signing yet, maked me think that i was right,

so sorry if it offended anyone
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #16
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

He was crying because he made it, I'm sure most appreciated that
Old 08-23-2005   #17
Davis37
All Pro

I like Ced Benson, and think that he will do good things for the Bears when they sign him. I think he is acting very um... "metally challenged" right now. All he is doing is losing "value" by holding out. If he didnt want to play for the Bears he could have "pulled an Eli" on them. All he is doing now is pissing off the team that drafted him, in turn getting worse offers than before. His trade value is also dropping because he is now getting a bad rep. He needs to get a new agent and sign a contract before he makes an even bigger fool out of himself. Im just glad that we havent have any players pull this kind of crap with the Texans yet (knock on wood)
Old 08-23-2005   #18
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst
We would enter next years draft. Its been done a few times before. I dont think the blame is only on the player, the agent is also to blame. But honestly, would you want to play for the Bears if you were him? In theory he could not sign with them, enter next years draft and probably still be a top 5 pick. He has run the ball a lot in his career, maybe a year off wouldn't be so bad for him.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #19
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

17 million is more than most people make in a lifetime. take your huge paycheck and play ball fool.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #20
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
I still don't believe you.

I think he was happy to be drafted 4th overall after all of the critics said he was too slow and had been run into the ground at Texas.

Now he is trying to get the money that he thinks he deserves. He is delusional in that regard. Hopefully he comes to his senses soon.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read