Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2005   #1
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected
Default banks or ragone

there is a thead about banks at hpf.com. just wondering what you guys think about our back up qb situation. ragone has looked pretty good this preseason. im hoping that ragone takes the backup job. i think it would be good for the future of the team if we have our starter and backup set for the next 10 years.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Banks is still the #2. He is a vet, who can stay calm and collected durring the game. Davey still has alot of work to do IMO. He is the king of the 2nd tier QB's though.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #3
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

Banks always looks like he's going through the motions while Ragone is out their fighting...I know that has to do with their situation, but Banks has never impressed me in that way.

To be honest, every offseason I expected Banks to move on. I think he likes the non-pressure of a backup. I can't blame him, I would love his job!
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #4
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

This is one of the areas that the Texans have got to address. Make a note of the production other team's get from their backup QB's compared to the anemia that we call offense when Carr leaves the game. Bottom line is, Banks is a below average backup. We could have picked Kelly Holcombe or Mike McMahon in the offseason to mention a few. Heck, Vinny Testeverde would be a tremendous upgrade over Banks. I guess the front office would have a hard time getting Big Dave to sign off on that. We can't have him looking over his shoulder.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #5
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
This is one of the areas that the Texans have got to address. Make a note of the production other team's get from their backup QB's compared to the anemia that we call offense when Carr leaves the game. Bottom line is, Banks is a below average backup. We could have picked Kelly Holcombe or Mike McMahon in the offseason to mention a few. Heck, Vinny Testeverde would be a tremendous upgrade over Banks. I guess the front office would have a hard time getting Big Dave to sign off on that. We can't have him looking over his shoulder.
I'm sure Carr would be shaking in his cleats that one of those guys would be taking his job. Carr has the confidence of everyone in the front office, even if he doesn't have it from some Texan fans.
Old 08-22-2005   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I'd go ahead and make the move. Ragone as #2, Banks out the door, and I'd start looking around for another young guy to take the 3 spot. Ragone is ready to be the backup.
Old 08-23-2005   #7
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Banks is our #2 guy. He looked bad against the Raiders.. but I blame that mostly on having Hollings as his RB. Ragone looked better.. and he had Morency.

Against the Broncos Banks looked better.. but he had Wells. Ragone looked worse.. and he had Hollings.

get rid of Hollings.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2005   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

What has Ragone done to earn the #2 spot? OK he did great in NFLE, but come on, NFLE? I could see it next year if he has a solid preseason and a good regular season, but no this year.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Banks is our #2 guy. He looked bad against the Raiders.. but I blame that mostly on having Hollings as his RB. Ragone looked better.. and he had Morency.

Against the Broncos Banks looked better.. but he had Wells. Ragone looked worse.. and he had Hollings.

get rid of Hollings.
Banks has been inaccurate in camp and pre-season the last two years no matter whether Hollings is standing behind him or not. Bit off-base IMO to blame Banks' propensity to throw passes at the feet of, over the head of, or two steps behind his WR's on the RB.
Old 08-23-2005   #10
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

im just going by what ive seen in the games Infantry.. havent seen em in practice. In game one against the broncos.. banks looked good.. but he had an effective running game going with Wells.

In game 2.. banks looked bad.. and Hollings wasnt able to do anything.

I just put 2 and 2 together.. sorry if its offbase.
Old 08-23-2005   #11
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a feeling Banks is our #2 until the end of the season and Ragone will take the #2 spot next season.
Old 08-23-2005   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
I have a feeling Banks is our #2 until the end of the season and Ragone will take the #2 spot next season.
agreed.

if Ragone can provide confidence within this staff he will replace Banks, next year. the Texans will release Banks and use a mid level draft pick on a MAC QB named Darrell Hackney, Alabama-Birmingham or another quality arm. Ragone strikes me as a competant career back-up, the Texans realize this & will need to groom a true NFL starting quality QB for the future.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
im just going by what ive seen in the games Infantry.. havent seen em in practice. In game one against the broncos.. banks looked good.. but he had an effective running game going with Wells.

In game 2.. banks looked bad.. and Hollings wasnt able to do anything.

I just put 2 and 2 together.. sorry if its offbase.
I guess I am just seeing a different Banks. Banks was 4 of 9 against the Broncos. Below 50% isn't pretty good in my book. To me he looks inaccurate. That is a problem which exists independent of whoever the RB out there is. Basically, it seems better to me to look to Banks' performance for problems with Banks' performance before going to look at the RB especially in the pre-season when they aren't game planning for specific RB's and aren't making too many defensive adjustments within a series.
Old 08-23-2005   #14
Grid
Hall of Fame

he was 4 of 9 against the broncs? wow.. ok you win heh. I remembered him looking better than that.. my mistake.

I still maintain that Hollings is useless though. I dont think it really matters if they are gameplanning around his abilities or not.. I saw him try and go inside..i saw him try and go outside.. and neither way was working. Morency made it work, Davis made it work, Wells made it work.. but Hollings couldnt do anything. I think the problem is hollings, not the way we use him.
Old 08-23-2005   #15
M@DD Mike
Rookie

Yeah both Banks and Hollings are garbage. Get them outta here!
Old 08-23-2005   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD
What has Ragone done to earn the #2 spot? OK he did great in NFLE, but come on, NFLE? I could see it next year if he has a solid preseason and a good regular season, but no this year.

What did Carr do to deserve the #1 spot? For that matter what did Brady do to deserve the #1 spot in New England? Sure both of them are better than Ragone but niether of them had two years to get ready and a season in NFLE.

Ragone is better than Banks IMO, hence I'd put him in the two spot. Banks is a veteran and unless he was interested in sticking around the rest of the year as the 3 I'd let him go look for a job he wanted in 2005. Come 2006 or if a kid I liked became available now I'd replace Banks with the youngster. The 3 spot is not where veterans go to die, it's where young QB's start out IMO.
Old 08-23-2005   #17
z0rpAn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to z0rpAn Send a message via MSN to z0rpAn Send a message via Yahoo to z0rpAn

you'd also have to consider that Banks would probably cost more with him at #3 with all his years than Ragone would be at #2.
z0rpAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #18
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
agreed.

if Ragone can provide confidence within this staff he will replace Banks, next year. the Texans will release Banks and use a mid level draft pick on a MAC QB named Darrell Hackney, Alabama-Birmingham or another quality arm. Ragone strikes me as a competant career back-up, the Texans realize this & will need to groom a true NFL starting quality QB for the future.
A quarterback of the future? Wow, our offensive line is killing us if we need to groom a quarterback of the future, when Carr is only entering his fourth season. I sure hope Carr has another season in him till we draft his replacement.
Old 08-23-2005   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked Ragone's leadership out there. On one frame I saw him rip into his offensive line and they started to move the ball alot better after that. To me that is what could make him the #2 guy but his experience for now will keep him on the pine.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #20
Capster67
Veteran

Default Ragone

The offense has consistently looked directionless with Banks (minus the one TD toss to Murphy). A quarterback can't expect a running back (see Hollings versus Wells remark above) to bring it for him. The QB has to bring it to the team. We need someone with some zip on the ball, energy, and enthusiasm. Banks doesn't appear to be that person; Ragone does.
Capster67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read