Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2005   #1
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hollings a bust?

I don't know if this is in another thread or not, but I will go ahead and voice my opinion on what I saw in Saturday nights game pertaining to our back up running backs. When DD went out and Hollings came in where we still using our 1st string O-line? If we were, why was he not able to get any yards? He seemed to fall forward at the line of scrimmage and not fight for the extra yard. I'm not insinuating that he doesn't care or isn't worried about making the team, I'm just concerned that he could not produce positive yards. Then we bring in Morency..who blew Hollings production out of the water. This kid has some decent moves (minus the loop-t-loop at the end of that one run) and decent speed. I was more impressed with him in his second preseason game than out of anything I've seen from Hollings in two years. Maybe I expected more from Tony Hollings or think our team needs a better #2, but I would stick with Morency and let him develope in that spot.
Old 08-22-2005   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13331 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635
(minus the loop-t-loop at the end of that one run) :
According to Spencer Tillman, this is known as Bula Bula :brickwall
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #3
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Morency definitely got better blocking on his two big runs. Ted Washington and Warren Sapp were out of the game by the time Morency entered the game. It seemed that Hollings just didn't have any blocking on his runs.

I would like to see Davis skip the game against Dallas and let Hollings and Morency get snaps with the first team offensive line against the Cowboys first team defense. We already know what Davis can do and there is no need to risk him getting injured in a meaningless preseason game. However, we do need to find out what Hollings and Morency can do...especially if the loser of their competition is going to lose a roster spot.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #4
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

While Holling isn't yet officially a bust, he is sneaking up on it. If he doesn't show some seriouse skills the next two games, this will likely be the year we cut him loose.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56461 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

He'll be officially a bust when we cut him in about 10 days.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Hollings is the lone "Bula Bula" of the Casserly Texans era :brickwall the odds are so staked against him, serious acl about four games experience prior to his injury and a lengthy absence. what I've seen is Hollings lacks the knack for hitting or finding the open hole. he is more of a frontline runner, I haven't seen much cut-back moves & he also lacks the straight ahead north & south style either. very limited role that could only be used sparringly & in specific situations like a swing pass, screen or pitch out on some type of option. he was supposed to also have some return abilities but I think his injury has taken this option, along with all the speed the Texans now have, away from him
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #7
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Take it for what you want because I even doubt he is ahead of Morency:
Quote:
Tony Hollings has a slight edge on rookie Vernand Morency in the competition for Houston’s backup RB job. Hollings is as healthy as he has been in his Houston tenure, while Morency’s cutting ability has impressed.
http://profootballweekly.com/PFW/The...ispers2008.htm

As most people know, I'm a big Hollings supporter and still am. This only his 4th year playing RB and when you get him in space you can feel the electricy. Especially on screen passes (Dallas preseason last year, 1st game of the season last year against the Chargers when he the 27 yard screen down to the one and 23 yard screen pass against Denver this preseason). His only problem is staying healthy. A very big problem. He needs to stay healthy so he can prove his worth.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2005   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 178952 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Hollings a bust?

At this point I would say Yes , he cant stay healthy for one , cant block , hasnt shown he can get around the edge which is why he was brought in , cant go North / South , doesnt contribute to special teams and worst of all is a turn over waiting to happen , anyone who puts the ball on the ground will find himself in DC's dog house .
He may make the team this year but i seriously doubt he will see much game action .
The numbers dont lie .....
career stats .
49 attempts
149 yards
7 catches for 71 yards
2 fumbles
9 kick returns with an avg of 18.3 yards
2 tackles
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #9
Texans86
All Pro

It stinks that Hollings hasn't done better than he has. At the time he was picked, DD hadn't become the dominant back that he is now, so it makes sense that CC wanted another running back. It might have been too much of a reach and it's unfortunate, but now we need to move on. We can't take back the pick, so anything we say counts for nothing.
Old 08-22-2005   #10
SESupergenius

2nd rounder that is 3rd on the depth chart. That right there is a bust.

BUST!
Old 08-22-2005   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

It was obvious in 2003 that he wasn't a between-the-tackles running back and was better suited for a situational role. His current value is nowhere near what you would reasonably expect from a second round pick in his third year - even with the injuries.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #12
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it has to do with each player's initial burst of speed at the snap of the ball.

Morency blasts off, and it just seems like Hollings is trying to eyeball which running lane to choose from as he gets the handoff. By the time Morency has the handoff, he's already committed to a running lane and is hitting another gear which gets him past the linemen before they can squeeze down the running lane(s).

That's my view of it.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #13
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Hollings a bust?

Absolutely. The only plays he's ever made (and there have been very few) have been on passes in the flat or screens. There's too much pride in the front office to cut him. I can see his "role" this year being a 3rd down receiving back and off the team next year if he can't produce doing that.

Keeping Hollings around this year will put Baxter off the roster unless they keep 6 RB's, which is highly unlikely.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #14
Davis37
All Pro

IMHO Hollings is a bust. Im not sure if he will be cut this year or not, but im leaning twords him being cut. I think with all of the depth at WR we have, we will keep 6 WR's this year which leaves no room for Hollings. Morency has clearly out preformed Hollings IMO so Hollings better step up big in the Dallas game or pack his bags.
Old 08-23-2005   #15
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's preseason, but I think Morency is already doing what they wanted Hollings to do all along. I see no reason to keep Hollings around anymore.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #16
TexHorns
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
Hollings is the lone "Bula Bula" of the Casserly Texans era :brickwall the odds are so staked against him, serious acl about four games experience prior to his injury and a lengthy absence. what I've seen is Hollings lacks the knack for hitting or finding the open hole. he is more of a frontline runner, I haven't seen much cut-back moves & he also lacks the straight ahead north & south style either. very limited role that could only be used sparringly & in specific situations like a swing pass, screen or pitch out on some type of option. he was supposed to also have some return abilities but I think his injury has taken this option, along with all the speed the Texans now have, away from him
I have had 3 acl repairs myself. I think his injury has alot to do with why he is not as crafty when he runs. Some people can come back from injuries like that and some cant.
TexHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #17
TexHorns
Veteran

BUST
TexHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I really wanted to see Tony Hollings as the steal of the century. I wanted to see him do some freaky fast, greased lightning running like he supposedly did through the first four games of his last season in college. That's why I've been thinking about this thread since it first showed up but haven't posted anything. It's hard to let go of the things you want. I'm ready to go ahead and admit it though now.

I think Tony Hollings has busted. This kid couldn't find a hole to save his life. Sure he's fast but he's got the vision of, well me and that ain't gonna cut it. He doesn't seem to see the lanes or feel when there's a crack he can slip through. He always seems shocked that the defender has him.

I wonder how good the teams he ran like crazy on in college were against the run. I wonder if there's any other position we could try him at. Mostly I wonder if getting hurt after four games might not have been the best thing that ever happened to Tony Hollings. It might be the only reason he got a 2 used on him and an NFL paycheck for 2-3 years. I hope he's saved his money.
Old 08-23-2005   #19
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

maybe we could move him back to safety.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13331 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Bust. Nothing else to say.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read