Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2005   #1
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is Billy Miller's career as a Texan over?

You have to wonder why Billy Miller was running almost exlusively with the 3rd team offense. It appears that Murphy has taken his job and Rivers is a better blocker which is the only real use of Tight Ends in Palmer's offense.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #2
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
You have to wonder why Billy Miller was running almost exlusively with the 3rd team offense. It appears that Murphy has taken his job and Rivers is a better blocker which is the only real use of Tight Ends in Palmer's offense.

as far as contributing on offense i think his career is over, i mean we are way past 02 where he was our prime guy, now we are loaded with recievers and we dont utilize our TEs very much as it is !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #3
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
I think the staff wants to see what Murphy and Rivers can do against 1st teamers. They already know what Billy can do and I think Billy missed the 1st game with some injury so he was just getting some work in.

I think he is still on the team.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #4
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I think the staff wants to see what Murphy and Rivers can do against 1st teamers. They already know what Billy can do and I think Billy missed the 1st game with some injury so he was just getting some work in.

I think he is still on the team.
If you know what he can do why are you running him out there against the 3rd team to potentially get hurt. Unless they keep 4 TE's which is highly unlikely, who gets cut?
Old 08-21-2005   #5
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
If you know what he can do why are you running him out there against the 3rd team to potentially get hurt. Unless they keep 4 TE's which is highly unlikely, who gets cut?
He missed the first game of the preseason with injury, they just wanted him to get some reps.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 08-21-2005   #6
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He missed the first game of the preseason with injury, they just wanted him to get some reps.
Right, we know he was a little banged up. Do you think he beats out Murphy and/or Rivers?
Old 08-21-2005   #7
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Right, we know he was a little banged up. Do you think he beats out Murphy and/or Rivers?
Yeah cause the fact is no other TE on this roster can catch. Even though we didnt use him a lot last year, I expect the coaches to work him into the gameplan more this year cause he our going to timing routes and shorter routes to make sure Carr doesnt get hit as much...

Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2005   #8
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah cause the fact is no other TE on this roster can catch. Even though we didnt use him a lot last year, I expect the coaches to work him into the gameplan more this year cause he our going to timing routes and shorter routes to make sure Carr doesnt get hit as much...
Tight ends are not thrown to in this offense. They've done nothing this preseason to prove otherwise.

Prediction: Miller doesn't make Houston's 53 and ends up with the Cowboys.
Old 08-21-2005   #9
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tight ends are not thrown to in this offense. They've done nothing this preseason to prove otherwise.

Parcells is considering keeping four TEs on his roster now...Miller does not have a place with those guys.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #10
JacksonvilleJaguar4
Rookie

what about Bruener? isn't he supposed to be your starter at TE?
Old 08-21-2005   #11
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Why would you think that?
Can't see Billy going to the Cowboys. I think he'll stay a Texan.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #12
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Until Murphy show he can be a starter and keep the job, I wouldn't say Billy is leaving the team.
Old 08-21-2005   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

two things that strike me about the Texans offense this year so far in preseason and that is the inablilty to drive the line of scrimmage in short yardage situations, expecially in the red zone and not intergrating the TE into the offense.

its apparent that the Texans are using the TE's primarily to block, if it where otherwise then we would have seen alot more throws directed towards them. therfore you guys might be right Miller could be expendable, I would not be shocked either way.

short yardage running plays, still seem experimental like they don't know what they want to do. has Moran Norris been injured? what about Jarrod Baxter? if the Texans are not going to use them and instead use Wells at FB then both of them could be cut.

in the end this team could wind up looking a whole lot differnet than last years Texans
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #14
texanfan
Rookie

Quote:
I'm assuming you missed the 31 yd touchdown Murphy had in the first game against the Bronco's starters. I'm also assuming you don't go to the open practices, because, you can clearly see that Miller is practicing behind Bruener and Murphy and sometimes even behind Rivers. I don't think him playing in the 3rd and 4th quarter has to do with his injury, I just think that there are a new crop of tight ends on the Texans roster.

Last edited by texanfan; 08-22-2005 at 09:16 AM.
texanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #15
William.carter
Veteran

I have to say that Billy has been a favorite of mine since rejuvinating his career with us and being the first Texan to score a touchdown. That being said, I don't think being a fan favorite is enough to keep you in a position that has been needing a serious upgrade.

I think we have a good crop of TEs that can block well and show fair to good hands. At least with Muphey and Rivers in the game the defense doesn't know for sure it will be a pass play or not. I saw Murphy put up a good block holding up an end or an LB, don't remember clearly at the moment, several feet from the QB Saturday against Oakland. Miller doesn't block like that.

I've heard lots of talk about their ability to catch, run routes, and beat coverages of LBs in camp and we've seen some of it in the preseason. I think if Billy wants to stay in Houston, he better get on his horse and start putting up a fight.

I think offseason has shown the clubs preference for emerging young talent over declining verterans. No disrespect to Glenn, Sharper, and Foreman.

William.carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #16
z0rpAn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to z0rpAn Send a message via MSN to z0rpAn Send a message via Yahoo to z0rpAn

I feel Murphy is going to land the starting TE job. He is showing that he can perform the position of TE very well.
z0rpAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #17
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Well, I guess I may be wrong...again
Quote:
We hear that Matt Murphy has established himself as Houstonís second-string tight end, leaving Billy Millerís future with the team somewhat in doubt. Miller is a good pass catcher, but his blocking remains a problem, and he has been bothered by an ankle injury in the preseason.
http://profootballweekly.com/PFW/The...ispers2008.htm

Old 08-22-2005   #18
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover

short yardage running plays, still seem experimental like they don't know what they want to do. has Moran Norris been injured? what about Jarrod Baxter? if the Texans are not going to use them and instead use Wells at FB then both of them could be cut.

in the end this team could wind up looking a whole lot differnet than last years Texans
Maybe you posted this message b4 the Oakland game, i dont feel like going back to look it up, but Moran Norris was in the game with the 1st team offense and did a wonderful job of blocking as a FB, I have yet to see Baxter in the game unless i just haven't paid any attention so I don't know what the deal is with him and Wells is the one witht the injury...I expect Moran to be the full time starter as FB and I think we have seen the last of Robaire Smith at FB in the redzone, but we may see Wells come in as another option to possibly throw to and spread the field from time to time.
Old 08-22-2005   #19
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Baxter was in the game last night. He played mostly with the 2nd and 3rd stringers.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #20
Buzz
Veteran

To me it looks like they want the TE to block first and catch second. I was hoping the team would go in the opposite direction to help open up the offense a little, but with their O-line it makes sense. Miller is the catch first and block second kind of guy that a few other teams might be looking for, and I think he has just enough talent that he will end up somewhere with a great O-line and blocking fullback, that can make better use of him.
For right now, I see Bruener being the starter until Murphy proves he can take over for him.
Buzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read