Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2005   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The 1st team defense sucked!

I don't care if we ever win any preseason game. It's worth nothing.

But what I do care about is how the 1st team goes up against their 1st team, and against the Raiders tonight, our 1st team defense got chewed up. Now, I know it's preseason, and I realize that the staff is not going use any blitz packages. But if the Raiders could get pressure without blitzing, why couldn't we?

The main weakness of this team that past three years has been not getting to the opposing QB, and not protecting our QB. In this game, the announcers were saying those dreaded words that I heard way to often in previous seasons. Those words were "Too much time!" or "Look at the time!" And they never say that when the offense is on the field, only when the defense is.

I came away more disappointed from tonight's win, than last week's loss.

Last edited by Marcus; 08-21-2005 at 08:38 AM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005   #2
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

well i will say that the raiders did pick apart our defense. but that IS going to happen when there is no pass rush.

add a consistent pass rush and those passing yards will get cut down tremendously. collins did have too much time though. i saw babin going up against gallery and he was getting extremely frustrated, even on the run play babin couldnt get away to make the tackle.

it all starts up front
Old 08-21-2005   #3
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 6809 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Why give our regular season opponents the film to study?
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh, is that why we gave Collins all night to throw the ball and carve up the secondary, because we don't want give the regular season opponents film to study?
Old 08-21-2005   #5
wrestler4life
Veteran

I agree. We were terrible. We looked extremely undersized and overmatched. Peek looked like he had no idea how to read pass versus run, and was totally unable to get away from the blocker on him. The secondary were left to fend for themselves as Collins looked like he never had to get out of his armchair to throw the ball. Very disappointed indeed.
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked the overall look of the D. Faggins gave up 2 big big plays that reslulted in Oaks 14/17 points.

Faggins has the right positioning, and angle on the ball in the endzone, catches it, and gets it ripped away from a WR. That is weak. The other he just got burrned.

I think you guys are going a litle overboard here. They held Moss to 2 catches for 23 yards. They picked off Collins in the endzone.

Faggins just needs to correct his mistakes. No need to sacrifice the whole Defense for it.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #7
wrestler4life
Veteran

OK, but why were we so succeptable to the run? We looked horrible. I could not believe how many times the cutback lane was open because the linebackers could not get off of their blocks.
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2005   #8
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestler4life
OK, but why were we so succeptable to the run? We looked horrible. I could not believe how many times the cutback lane was open because the linebackers could not get off of their blocks.
The raiders are going to get yards. You cant stuff an offense, with those weapons, and that big line every play. They are going to get their yards.

You just have to limit them, and try to make the big plays.

I saw the same thing. I saw the cutback lanes open. But I also saw his first holes close up, forcing him to cutback.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #9
texan_fan
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to texan_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus

It's nice to know I wasn't the only one. I don't consider myself a *fair weather fan*. I understand the game. There were too many mistakes, even for a pre-season game.

I firmly believe we didn't *win* the game...we just, by the grace of Brown's leg, didn't *lose* it.

I'm so TIRED of getting inside the 5 and settling for a fieldgoal. We should be a LOT farther than that by now... :brickwall
texan_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #10
Cindy
Rookie

I couldn't believe how much time Collins had. It seemed like he was taking a coffee break back there before passing to one of about 17 all-pro receivers.
Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
I liked the overall look of the D. Faggins gave up 2 big big plays that reslulted in Oaks 14/17 points.

Faggins has the right positioning, and angle on the ball in the endzone, catches it, and gets it ripped away from a WR. That is weak. The other he just got burrned.

I think you guys are going a litle overboard here. They held Moss to 2 catches for 23 yards. They picked off Collins in the endzone.

Faggins just needs to correct his mistakes. No need to sacrifice the whole Defense for it.
DC_ROCK, I didn't say anything about Faggins. Faggins getting burned twice didn't concern me.

What did concern me was that Collins had all the time in the world to throw the ball. You don't get pressure on the QB, then the end result will be the secondary getting hung out to dry. No amount of second half 'heroics' by the reserves, after Collins and the 1st team offense is is not playing anymore is going to diminish that. If they had remained in the game, it would have been a blowout.
Old 08-21-2005   #12
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
People need to give credit to the Raiders O-Line they are a big bunch of dudes and played very well together.
Wow! That's comforting. Do you mean to tell me that everytime we play against a team that has a decent O-line this season, we can look forward to seeing our D getting their heads handed to them???.

Swell! I can hardly wait.
Old 08-21-2005   #13
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok, here's why I don't understand why everyone freaks out by a series or two in preseason...

Look at any regular season game...do you judge the performance of the team that day based on the first quarter? There have been games that we looked like crap in the first quarter and came back, made adjustments, and won the game (Titans game from last year for example, or even the Vikings and Colts @ home even though we eventually lost those.) And there are games where we looked great at the beginning but then lost the game in the second half......
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
If we're talking about the defensive starters, and you are, that's a comment
that's hard to disagree with. Hopefully its just the inconsistency of preseason
and a LB corp getting use to new positions and working with each other. But
no doubt, these backers are the fastest crew Capers has put on the field
together so far and I know they are saving the real show for 9/11 and the Bills rookie. But I gotta admit, Collings seemed to stand back there for an eternity on some of the passing plays.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #15
Marcus
Hall of Fame

And to think that people accuse me of being a

I know enough about this team to know that we are not going to win games this season by winning offensive shootouts. I want to see evidence that we are getting pressure on the QB. And I would like to see that without having to "manufacture" a pass rush by using some exotic blitz package.

Wong, Greenwood, Walker, Payne at least got their names called. Babin and Peek, as far as I'm concerned, never made it out of the locker room. In a 3-4 defense, where the OLBs are supposed to be the ones who apply the pressure . . . . . ??

I have good reason to be concerned.

Last edited by Marcus; 08-21-2005 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-21-2005   #16
Doom Capers
Veteran

They looked a lot better than our defense did week 2 of last years pre season against the Steelers.......
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #17
jmantexfan
Rookie

two drives, our d looked really bad. i will agree that it was bad. But once again, our starting offense played 1 series and the raiders 1st team was in all of first half. Good thing is after 2 drives they couldnt score anymore(besides 1 FG). Collins still had too much time but after 1st quarter we looked better in the fact that we prevented the scoring to continue. we did seem easy to run against and WRs were constantly open. If our 1st team offense was in the whole half we would have went into the half tied or with the lead. our first team D looked bad, but the offense looked good and i must say that the raiders offense really is good and definately looked it last night. The thing that scares me more than our starting D is our back up offense. thay couldnt do ack. I ould have loved to see our first stringers out there as long as the raiders played theres. I would have also likes to see more blitzing from the texans, and im sure they are capable of putting pressure on QBs and stuffing runs, hopefully they get it together.

im not sure how good the raiders D is supposed to be but the starting O-line of the Texans looked pretty good against them. back ups looked crappy.
jmantexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #18
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom Capers
They looked a lot better than our defense did week 2 of last years pre season against the Steelers.......
I'll be interested to see if we can stop their rushing attack in game 2. Greenwood and Wong seemed to get lost in the shuffle at times last night.

One thing I did like about last night is CC Brown. He's always around the ball.
Old 08-21-2005   #19
texansfan1974
Veteran

thanks for the 2nd and 3rd team defences or we would have lost this one. (does it matter. i think so.)
texansfan1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #20
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom Capers
Now THERE's an interesting comparison....especially considering how badly the Texans got thumped back then and what we came to see from Pittsburgh after that. But in reality it's apples and oranges, considering all the new faces and lineup changes in the first-team D.

Just for grins, I searched the game day thread from that Steelers preseason game and found the first-half stats: Here

I can't comment either way yet on the Raiders game because the game won't be broadcast until Monday over here (NFL Network), but I'll keep that in mind. So far I've only seen the few snippets of the game shown on "No Huddle" last night.

I just think it's a little early to expect the defense, with so many position changes and new personnel, to be firing on all cylinders. They'll keep improving.

Last edited by TexanExile; 08-21-2005 at 11:30 AM.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read