Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2005   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What i saw

I was forced to go watch the game in a sportsbar because my cable company decided not to show the game (they will be getting a call on Monday and if I cant get some guarantee that every regular season game will be aired, im canceling and going to directv)

My Thoughts:

Morency looks great! I guess that first game was rookie jitters. He really does hit the hole fast..and i saw him cut inside a couple times when (against the broncos) he would have kept trying to get around the corner.

One thing I noticed about his running style.. he hits the hole fast.. and he has pretty good speed.. and is capable of making the first guy miss.. but he doesnt shuffle his feet like Davis. When Morency tries to juke..he ends up skipping.. which brings him off the turf and makes him easier to bring down. I think this is just how he runs..dunno if it will ever change. Davis keeps his feet on the ground, and because of that he is able to cut quicker, and bounce off of tacklers. I still think Morency is almost a lock at #2 though.

I wasnt paying much attention to his blocking throughout the game..but I did notice that he missed a block really badly..and it Got Ragone tackled for a loss..luckily he threw it away first.

Speaking of Ragone.. he looked alot better than Banks tonight. This is due in no small part I think..to the fact that Ragone had Morency, while Banks had Hollings.

I think its time to cut our losses with Hollings. I can count on one hand the number of times that ive seen Hollings make a play for us.. and I wouldnt even use the whole hand. Hollings is incapable of making the first guy miss.. hes incapable of going between the tackles, and hes incapable of getting outside... therefore..he is just plain incapable. He serves no big purpose on special teams and I think with Morency, Wells, Davis.. and possibly Jason Anderson.. we are fine without Hollings.

I saw both good and bad from Travis Johnson. Mostly good though.. I think if a lineman goes down, we will have a good backup in him this season.. and he will be starting by next season. He makes some mistakes but he looks good out there.

Charlie Anderson rocks!

Swinton looked damn good. Its gonna be tough to decide between him and Kasper.

I saw Mathis and Thomas both drop balls they should have had. Neither one of them appears to have great hands.

The protection for Banks looked horrendous... I didnt see who we had in there on the Oline.. but if that was our starting guys..ouch.

We STILL dont look like we know how to get into the endzone when its 1st and goal. We keep running it..and they keep stuffing it. We dont have an RB on our team that is capable of dragging 2 or 3 guys into the endzone with them, and we need to quit acting like we do. I know its preseason and we arent using everything the playbook.. but after the 4 stuffs last game..i figured we would come into the game today with more than that.

We still have a great secondary.. getting us those interceptions when they are crucial. Coleman looks great.. cant wait to see our secondary this season.

My early guesses at our Depth Chart come week 1:

QB: Carr, Banks, Ragone
RB: Davis, Morency, Wells
FB: Norris, Wells
LT: Riley
LG: Pitts
C: McKinney
RG: ? I didnt get to see Wand
RT: Wade
TE: Murphy, Bruenor, Miller
WR: Johnson, Bradford, Armstrong, Gaffney, Swinton, Mathis

DE: Smith, Walker, Johnson, Deloach, Ioane
DT: Payne, Smith, Johnson
ILB: Wong, Greenwood, Orr, Polk
OLB: Babin, Peek, Anderson, Pettway(looks good on ST)
CB: Robinson, Buchanan, Faggins, Sanders, Bell
SS: Earl, Walker, Brown
FS: Coleman, Simmons, Lord

(Didnt put depth at linemen cause honestly ive no idea who we have that has played well)
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with your post, Morlon Greenwood looked pretty good from what I saw also.
Old 08-20-2005   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

The line that consisted of Washington, Jones, MBrown, Weary, and ??? was AWEFUL!!!!

Jones looks to have some promise and I thought Wand showed fairly well at guard. I don't remember seeing Hodgdon out there tonight though.

I thought the starting OLine was quite good.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems like I'm not alone in thinking the Hollings experiment is heading for an unhappy ending. That was a waste of a #2 if you ask me and in hindsight (which is always 20/20 but hear me out) a really stupid move. We grabbed Hollings with very little information to go on because our backs basically sucked. At least that's what it looked like when all we had to go on was Wells and Allen running behind no line.

The very same off-season that we blew a 2 on Hollings we signed Stacy Mack and drafted Domanick Davis. We didn't need to take a chance on Tony Hollings in the supplemental draft but we did anyway. Personally I saw more out of James Allen then I've ever seen out of Tony Hollings and James Allen had a much worse line to run behind.

I see no reason for this guy to keep a roster spot on a team with Davis, Wells, and Morency.
Old 08-21-2005   #5
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

The starting OLine looked good, and the interior did pretty well against Washington and Sapp. Wand looked good at RG. I'm not too worried about our goal line offense. On the pass to Bradford in the EZ that was knocked away by Gibson it looked as though AJ was open on an inside slant but hard to tell at that angle. Mathis was pretty impressive. He showed that he's more than just a speed guy. He made some nice catches, but more impressive was his blocking for a guy his size. He made some pretty nice blocks on runs to his side, and I think a year in the Texans strength and conditioning program will help him become an even better blocker and all around WR.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #6
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Well at the time..we couldnt know what we had in Davis.. and I dont think we considered Mack to be a long term answer at RB. We were fishing for some talent.. and apparently we just got a little too desperate. Maybe if we had thought on it a little longer we wouldnt have made the move? Or maybe Hollings was legitimitaly worth the pick..and just isnt panning out.

Either way.. I think with the way Morency looks..and how Wells has improved.. Hollings is on the way out.
Old 08-21-2005   #7
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with most on here that Hollings is gone. I just don't think that 4 starts in college was ever enough to chance a #2 pick on this guy. I know its hindsight.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2005   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Hollings is down but not out yet, we'll see a lot more of him the last couple of pre-season games to draw more conclusions but if I had to make a call after these first two games, plus last season I'd say he is put on the practice squad and hope another team who needs a RB claims him and his fat contract
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #9
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

I REALLY want to see how Morency does behind 1st team O-line. He looked good tonight.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #10
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

RB Davis/Morency/Hollings

FB Norris/Wells

Get used to this roster.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #11
Grid
Hall of Fame

betcha a dollar that Hollings doesnt make third string.
Old 08-21-2005   #12
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
betcha a dollar that Hollings doesnt make third string.
ok, well who takes 3rd string? Wells?

I think Capers wants a chance to utilize Wells, and Davis in the backfiled at the same time. Plus he is a special teams pro.

Ill take that bet.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Id say Wells yah .. possibly Jason Anderson but we have seen even less of him than Hollings.
Old 08-21-2005   #14
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
The starting OLine looked good, and the interior did pretty well against Washington and Sapp. Wand looked good at RG. I'm not too worried about our goal line offense. On the pass to Bradford in the EZ that was knocked away by Gibson it looked as though AJ was open on an inside slant but hard to tell at that angle. Mathis was pretty impressive. He showed that he's more than just a speed guy. He made some nice catches, but more impressive was his blocking for a guy his size. He made some pretty nice blocks on runs to his side, and I think a year in the Texans strength and conditioning program will help him become an even better blocker and all around WR.
i have to disagree with you about wand. i just watched the game on tivo and he looked horrible. i dont know a lot about our zone blocking but wand wasnt blocking anyone. in the first three series i saw wands man shed his block and tackle the back for a loss multiple times. wand also gave up the first sack on banks. on the td by carr wands man got inside of him and wade had to block the guy in the back to keep him from getting in the backfield(probably should have been a penalty).

im a big wand fan and have been rooting for him. i also thought he was improving at lt tackle. but he did not have a good night. maybe he was just thinking to much. he was playing a new position.

i did think or rookies played well. as did the first team offense.

fa**ings looked bad. and there wasnt much of a pass rush. one of the players said that they were playing the base defense and didnt have much of a chance for a good pass rush.

i think im getting old. i just wake up in the middle of the night and cant go back to sleep. isnt that a sign of age?
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #15
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

i tend to agree more with markbeth in his assessment with wand. he didnt play at a great level (i just re-watched the first half offense a few min ago). when wand "zoned" to the 2nd level of LBs he could not drive them back. he was often pushed aside to get to the ball carrier. i could not tell you if it was technique or just leverage issues as to what kept wand from excelling in his start. i dont think there were multiple times where wands man stopped the HB for a loss (i recall 1 with hollings).

on that one sack on banks however, the only thing steve touched on that WHOLE play was the football. he did not get one had on his defender and i think him and wand were about to double sapp. the only defense for him is that he had not played that position before (that i am aware of) and he was going against some really good veterans in sapp and washington.

also i noticed on that pass intended to andre in the endzone, riley had got beaten horribly which caused him to roll to the right (that created wades man to run carr down as well).

although peek and babins name were not mentioned during the game that does not mean they did not impact the game and contribute. im not calling people out, but some said peek could not tell run from pass plays and i think that is just completely incorrect. for instance, on faggins miscue, they had 3 receivers running routes with 2 backs staying in to block peek and babin. BOTH OLBs getting doubled! im not trying to make excuses cuz yes there was issues with getting pressure and its something we have to work on.
Old 08-21-2005   #16
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 35052 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr and 1st team = great. Should have played at least 1 quarter...............
Banks is done!
Defense looked lost?
Mathis looked good, and Morency.
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
Hollings is down but not out yet, we'll see a lot more of him the last couple of pre-season games to draw more conclusions but if I had to make a call after these first two games, plus last season I'd say he is put on the practice squad and hope another team who needs a RB claims him and his fat contract
Hollings is not eligible for the practice squad.
Old 08-21-2005   #18
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Question My Casual Observations

I would like to see Kasper make a few more returns before annointing Swinton. I doubt we will see it this week though. Swinton once being a Cowboy will probably get the return duty this week.
I also agree with most here that Hollings has two more shots to show he belongs here.
I have a hunch that Mathis will be starting before the year is over.
Morency is a player but I do not feel he is an upgrade over DD.
I haven't seen the fire in TJ that I was hoping to see. IIRC he was in some series against the Raiders second teamers and didn't dominate like I thought he should. I could be wrong on Johnson as I am relying on memory, I do not record games and play them back to double check my impressions.
Dissappointed in our lack of O-line drive for short yardage when needed and also in our D-Lines inabilty to slow down the Raiders ground game.
Not quite ready to join the "sky is falling club" (we know who you are) but I might consider it if our lines don't step up the next two weeks.
Here's hoping that Vinny or some other of you level headed posters (we know who you are too) can return me to my senses.

cac:

Last edited by cuppacoffee; 08-21-2005 at 10:32 AM.
cuppacoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #19
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

If Hollings had the same blocking that Morency did, we would be talking about how Hollings had secured the backup job. After the first drive, Ted Washington and Warren Sapp shut down the Texans running game.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #20
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
The line that consisted of Washington, Jones, MBrown, Weary, and ??? was AWEFUL!!!!
The ????? is Wand. He was in there when Banks was in.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read