Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2005   #41
cdastros
Rookie

Rep Power: 122 cdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Because he's our second best receiver.
Recievers in an offense that requires a 3 step drop, are going to have to catch balls in coverage a lot more. Thats why I am not so high on Gaff. He doesn't seem to run good routes, and his hands are not as good as Armstrong. He has had three years to prove that he is something more than a solid 3rd down reciever. I have not seen him prove otherwise.
cdastros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #42
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Texans_Fan
But preseason is used to determine who will be on the team. The non-locked starting position and backup jobs are still up for grabs.
What has Sloan Thomas showed you in two preseason games that trumps everything Armstrong has showed you in both regular and pre season? Other than a couple of nice catches against the opposing teams 2nd and 3rd stringers he hasn't done much. He isn't the gunner that a Starling or even a Kasper is, and he definately doesn't have hands like Armstrong. IMO Kasper has a better shot of making the roster than Sloan due to his versatility as a gunner/returner on ST. Again Armstrong has shown the ability to play on this level against 1st team defenses, and Thomas hasn't. As far as JJ goes he was cut because he was just a KR and Dom has shown that he loves players who can contribute in more than one phase of the game. Sharper isn't a very good analogy since he had a much heftier cap hit than Armstrong. Foreman just wasn't good period. He got blown up in coverage, and there was no secret that he was going to be looking for a job elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdastros
Thats why I am not so high on Gaff. He doesn't seem to run good routes, and his hands are not as good as Armstrong.
Gaff's route running is one of his strengths. His speed is often seen as his biggest weakness, but keep in mind he had the longest catch last year of all the receivers. His hands are right up there with Armstrong's, and at worst he's got the second best hands on the team. Considering that Armstrong's hands are like velcro its not a bad thing for him to be second to him. He is an ideal receiver to move the chains and keep the offense on the field doing its job. You can't always throw it to AJ and Bradford is hot/cold. Gaffney knows how to get open when it matters the most, and he knows how to find the soft spot in a zone and settle in.

I swear I bet tomorrow I'll see someone wanting to cut DD or Norris in this thread.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #43
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I should make the team, because I would like the money.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #44
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I should make the team, because I would like the money.
You're already ahead of Weary on the depth chart.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #45
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Texans_Fan
After Sloan's performance last Saturday how could you not keep him? His IS a legitimate NFL receiver.

...not that I'm biased or anything.
He did put up a nice performance in crunch time, but its not like he was going against the 1st team defense...I also like what I saw and he showed lots of potential there, but every dog has their day...I'd like to see him do it on a consistent basis (I don't know how he's been looking in practice), thankfully we have two more games to evaluate the players .

Texans obviously have alot of depth and talent at the WR position...I'd say they have to go with 6 WR this year and that whoever gets cut signs with another team and becomes a legitimate contributor to their offense (Sloan Thomas) possibly and Starling hasn't shown me anything other than ST...he's gotta step up within these next two preseason games.
Old 08-23-2005   #46
Capster67
Veteran

Default Keep Kasper

I'm a big fan of Kevin Kasper. He brings the intangibles (toughness, big play ability, leadership) that we are sorely missing at the WR slot besides Andre. I think his return abilities and his craftiness at WR make him a deserving roster candidate. Good luck Kevin, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!!
Capster67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read