Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2005   #21
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

maybe we keep 7 WRs this year. I say this because its possible one of our FBs will be expendable if Wells proves he can play FB too. Just a thought though, i'd still bet they go with 6. AJ, Gaff, Bradford, Mathis, Swinton, Armstrong. now if they add a 7th it's gonna be between Starling, Thomas, and Kasper. guess we'll have to wait and see.

Are Starling and Thomas eligible for practice squad?
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #22
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I completely disagree with those of you that believe Hollings will be waived. He's finally healed, & has been running much stronger. Even though he hasn't put up big numbers, he's just got too much potential to just release him. I could see him being showcased in the last 2 preseason games in order to trade him. I agree with Grid's post about Wells filling both the backup FB/RB positions.

I can see some notable players like Billy Miller, Bradford, Hollings, Ramon Walker, Weary, & Orr losing their jobs this year. Hopefully, CC can trade one or two of them for draft picks or an upgrade at one of our other positions. I'd sure hate to be the coaches & have to decide which ones to cut. We're actually going to be able to cut some quality players this year.

Our secondary should be the envy of the league this year.

Anyway, here's my picks, based on just 2 preseason games.

OFFENSE

QB: Carr, Ragone, Banks
WR: AJ, Armstrong, Gaffney, Mathis, Swinton
RB: DD, Morency, Wells
FB: Norris
OL: Riley, Pitts, McKinney, Wiegert, Wade, Wand, M.Brown, Washington
TE: Bruener, Murphy

DEFENSE

DL: Walker, Payne, Smith, TJ, Deloach, Ioane
LB: Peek, Wong, Greenwood, Babin, C.Anderson, Chamberlin, Evans
CB: Dunta, Buchanon, Faggins, McKenzie
FS: Coleman, Simmons
SS: Earl, C.Brown

SPECIAL TEAMS

PK: Brown
P: Stanley
KR: Swinton, Mathis
PR: Swinton, Mathis
LS: Make yourself useful McKinney (I can't see us taking up a roster spot for just a LS. Sorry, Pittman)

TAXI SQUAD:

Pettway (LB)
Symons (QB)
S. Thomas (WR)
Wishom (CB)
Hodgdon (OL)

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #23
BattleRedHuztla713

i wish we gave DEVIN PITTS achance and released starling pitts made a wonderful catch first game and starling has been dropping a lot
Old 08-21-2005   #24
Dime
Hall of Fame

Bradford, yes... Gaffney is to be seen. Gaffney is a good player, but Armstorng has shown to be better hands.
Old 08-21-2005   #25
TexanAggie
Rookie

My vote is HOLLINGS needs to be gone. Morency is a much better back, I see him being a great back.

I could not believe every time hollings got the ball he bounced it outside and would never stick it up in the hole......

OH, we need to work on our RED ZONE offense how pathetic was that 2nd week in a row,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
TexanAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #26
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

i say there's 6 wr's and 7 lb's.

WR: AJ, Mathis, Bradford, Swinton, Gaffny and Armstrong.
LB: Greenwood,Peek,Wong,Babin,Pettway,Anderson,Orr
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #27
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

here is my version of the offense and defense plus ST. (thanks for doing most of the work hottoddie )

OFFENSE

QB: Carr, Ragone, Banks
WR: dre, bradford, gaffney, armstrong, mathis, swinton
RB: DD, Morency, Wells
FB: Norris, wells
OL: wand, Pitts, McKinney, Wiegert, Wade, riley, M.Brown, Washington
TE: Bruener, Murphy, Miller or Rivers

DEFENSE

DL: Walker, Payne, Smith, TJ, Deloach, Ioane,
LB: Peek, Wong, Greenwood, Babin, C.Anderson, Orr, Polk, Chamberlin, Evans,
CB: Dunta, Buchanon, Faggins, Bell, McKenzie
FS: Coleman, Simmons
SS: Earl, C.Brown

SPECIAL TEAMS

PK: Brown
P: Stanley
KR: Mathis, Swinton
PR: Swinton, Mathis
LS: Pittman

and that is only 51. hmph! and who knows about the practice squad. well thats who i think makes the final roster. then there is sears, sanders, hollings, even the rook C might make it. we will find out soon enough though.

Old 08-22-2005   #28
Austin_Texans_Fan
Rookie

After Sloan's performance last Saturday how could you not keep him? His IS a legitimate NFL receiver.

...not that I'm biased or anything.
Austin_Texans_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #29
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Texans_Fan
After Sloan's performance last Saturday how could you not keep him? His IS a legitimate NFL receiver.

...not that I'm biased or anything.
who would you take then?
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #30
Austin_Texans_Fan
Rookie

A.J
Gaffney
Swinton
Thomas
Mathis
Old 08-22-2005   #31
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

So you leave out the guy with the best hands in Armstrong? I wish Thomas luck, and he's a very talented receiver but I don't see how he makes the final roster with the quality of the guys ahead of him.

If we keep 6 WRs I think it will shake out like this:
AJ
Gaff
Armstrong
Mathis
Swinton
Bradford

There will be a couple quality WRs looking for new jobs when the final cuts come around.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #32
Austin_Texans_Fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
So you leave out the guy with the best hands in Armstrong? I wish Thomas luck, and he's a very talented receiver but I don't see how he makes the final roster with the quality of the guys ahead of him.

If we keep 6 WRs I think it will shake out like this:
AJ
Gaff
Armstrong
Mathis
Swinton
Bradford

There will be a couple quality WRs looking for new jobs when the final cuts come around.
If we are to judge the available talent from the 2 preseason games then I would have to give the job to Thomas over Bradford and Armstrong seeing that they have either had no catches or very few.

Bradford has yet to impress me in the previous few seasons. He was suppose to be able to stretch the field but has yet to produce on the field on any regular basis.

Thomas not only has good hands but also has the ability to get the YAC which allot of the catch and fall receivers are unable to.
Old 08-22-2005   #33
cdastros
Rookie

Rep Power: 123 cdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respectedcdastros is a quality contributor and well respected

Why is everyone so high on Jabar Gaffney? He would be the guy I would leave out of the mix.

AJ
Bradford
Armstrong
Swinton
Mathis
Sloan

To me it comes down to Gaff and Armstrong. Because of Armstrongs hands, he seems like a better fit for this new offense.
cdastros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #34
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Armstrong played very well for us last season. He hasn't seen alot of action in the preseason, and was held out of the Raiders game. He's shown his ability during the regular season, and I think that gives him a leg up over Thomas.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #35
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdastros
Why is everyone so high on Jabar Gaffney? He would be the guy I would leave out of the mix.
Because he's our second best receiver.
Old 08-22-2005   #36
Austin_Texans_Fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Armstrong played very well for us last season. He hasn't seen alot of action in the preseason, and was held out of the Raiders game. He's shown his ability during the regular season, and I think that gives him a leg up over Thomas.
But preseason is used to determine who will be on the team. The non-locked starting position and backup jobs are still up for grabs. Armstrong did have a good season last year, but he was one of the best of a mediocre receiving corp.

That’s exactly why JJ, Sharper, and Foreman are no longer with us. They all had a good year, but it was a good year on a bad team.
Old 08-22-2005   #37
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

From ProFootballWeekly

Quote:
The way we hear it, expect Corey Bradford to open the season as the starting wideout opposite Andre Johnson. A source close to the team says Bradford has had his best training camp ever with the team. Bradford’s speed has always been his greatest asset, but he still must prove he can be more than just a downfield threat. Jabar Gaffney will likely start the season as the No. 3 wideout if he can quickly return to form after being sidelined by a shoulder injury. Lanky Derick Armstrong, who lacks Bradford’s speed and Gaffney’s quickness but has good hands and a knack for making plays, likely fits in as the No. 4 receiver.
Old 08-22-2005   #38
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

We will soon cut WRs would have started for us a couple years ago and
starred for us in our inaugural season. We could probably say the same thing about other positions to. We are getting better and we are getting deeper.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #39
Austin_Texans_Fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
We will soon cut WRs would have started for us a couple years ago and
starred for us in our inaugural season. We could probably say the same thing about other positions to. We are getting better and we are getting deeper.
Excatly...its really a very good thing.
Old 08-22-2005   #40
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

It is good that there is an increase in quality that we can talk like this. I think several players from last year will be gone. I can see Miller, a full back, Hollings and maybe Bradford gone. I love Cory but he has yet to show me much this preseason and this is supposed to be the best for him ever? Something is up that he didn't get to many looks last season.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read