Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2005   #1
Dime
Hall of Fame

Default Who should make the team and why?

We are getting to cut time.

Who stays and who goes..

Let say we only get to keep 5 WR's and 6 LB's

Who goes and who stays.. your oponion
Old 08-20-2005   #2
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

WRs- AJ, Mathis, Gaffney, Alexander, SThomas, Starling... It has to be 6 this year! I think Bradford is gone because of all the talented depth. Starling is too good on STeams and has too much potential to be cut. And, I just have a feeling about SThomas.

LBs- Peek, Babin, Wong, Greenwood, CAnderson, SOrr, Pettway, Evans... it has to be 7 or 8. Orr and Anderson are too value in STeams and both have shown big play ability in game situations.

CUT- T Hollings- doesn't run strong and we have depth there. Morency has a ton of ability and Wells is very servicable as well as being cheaper and better on STeams.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005   #3
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
WRs- AJ, Mathis, Gaffney, Alexander, SThomas, Starling... It has to be 6 this year! I think Bradford is gone because of all the talented depth. Starling is too good on STeams and has too much potential to be cut. And, I just have a feeling about SThomas.

LBs- Peek, Babin, Wong, Greenwood, CAnderson, SOrr, Pettway, Evans... it has to be 7 or 8. Orr and Anderson are too value in STeams and both have shown big play ability in game situations.

CUT- T Hollings- doesn't run strong and we have depth there. Morency has a ton of ability and Wells is very servicable as well as being cheaper and better on STeams.
Rofl... No.. they question is 5 WR and 6 LB's which is probably what they will HAVE to come down to unless they release depth elsewhere..

Assuming that is the cut.. who do you have to cut, but dont wanna..
Old 08-20-2005   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont see us keeping only 6 LBs in a 3-4 defense. that is two starters and one backup at each position. Gotta take 8 LBs imo.

as for 5 WRs.. with our depth there..and need for a return guy.. I see us splurging and taking 6 WRs.. and making wells our second string fullback, and releasing Baxter, to make room.

WR: Johnson, Bradford, Amrstrong, Gaffney, Swinton, Mathis
LB: Peek, Babin, Greenwood, Wong, Anderson, Polk, Orr, Pettway
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime
Rofl... No.. they question is 5 WR and 6 LB's which is probably what they will HAVE to come down to unless they release depth elsewhere..

Assuming that is the cut.. who do you have to cut, but dont wanna..
okay, okay... I'd cut SThomas and go with AJ, Gaffney, Armstrong, Mathis, Starling.

However, I don't think they could ever only keep 6 LBs in a 3-4. but, it's your thread: Greenwood, Wong, Peek, Babin, CAnderson, Polk

Last edited by dalemurphy; 08-20-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2005   #6
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy

WR- Who is Alexander, I'm guessing you mean Armstrong. Agree with your list and add Swinton, since Starling will be more of a ST than a WR (maybe they should work him at DB like Brown for New England last year).

LB- You forgot Moreno (he will make the team), don't know about Pettway, and if Evans plays like tonight again, Chamberlin will take his spot.

As for T. Hollings I think you hit the nail right on the head.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man
WR- Who is Alexander, I'm guessing you mean Armstrong. Agree with your list and add Swinton, since Starling will be more of a ST than a WR (maybe they should work him at DB like Brown for New England last year).

LB- You forgot Moreno (he will make the team), don't know about Pettway, and if Evans plays like tonight again, Chamberlin will take his spot.

As for T. Hollings I think you hit the nail right on the head.

Derrick Alexander had some good years with KC, though. Sorry, I meant Armstrong.
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2005   #8
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Swinton made the team tonight. Morrency replaced Hollings and might have replaced Wells as DD's backup. Hollings has 2 games to show his stuff, or he's gonna be gone. I think Anderson solidified his spot as backup OLB.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #9
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91511 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

For the receivers:

I thought it would be easy to name the 5, but then Sloan Thomas has to go play like a veteran, doesn't he?

Ah well. I'd keep AJ, Bradford, Gaffney, Armstrong, and Mathis.

Linebackers:

Wong, Peek, Greenwood, Babin, Anderson, and . . . . . . Pettway.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #10
Dime
Hall of Fame

I am hoping/praying like you both said we have 7 or 8 LB's and 6 WR, but you cant ever tell.. I hope you are right..

Now.. my quick question.

Can you see us with our depth at WR putting Mathis (the only WR allowed on the PS) on the practice squad. I only say this because of the depth we have there and a year of practice would help him. If there is ANY way another team can sign him (i dont know the rules of the PS), there is NO way we would/should do it. Just wondering. I ONLY say this because of our depth here..
Old 08-21-2005   #11
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

In order to be put on the PS I think Mathis would have to clear waivers first. Another team can sign him, but I believe he has to be on their active roster. I think Mathis makes the cut.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #12
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
For the receivers:

I thought it would be easy to name the 5, but then Sloan Thomas has to go play like a veteran, doesn't he?

Ah well. I'd keep AJ, Bradford, Gaffney, Armstrong, and Mathis.

Linebackers:

Wong, Peek, Greenwood, Babin, Anderson, and . . . . . . Pettway.
There were 6 WR's on the roster last year, and there will be at least that many this year. Saying that, my 6 are; AJ, Bradford, Gaffney, Armstrong, Starling, and Mathis.

If we only kept 6 LB's, that would be 2 backups for 4 positions...not gonna happen. Wong, Peek, Greenwood, and Babin are locks unless something drastic happens. If there were only 2 backups for those 4 positions, IMHO, one of them would have to be Shantee Orr since he can play both ILB and OLB. The last one would have to be someone that could fill in either position also. I don't see Charlie Anderson not making the team, as well as a few others, so I don't see any way that we only keep 6 LB's.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #13
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Like they said on the air tonight, a couple of WR's that we cut could and probably will wind up playing for someone else. It is going to be a tough desicion, I hope they make the right ones (sure would hate to see Thomas burn us in years to come if he is the one cut).
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

WR- Andre Johnson, Jabar Gaffney, Corey Bradford, Reggie Swinton & Jerome Mathis. there could be one more between Kendrick Starling, Sloan Thomas and Derick Armstrong too early to tell

LB- Jason Babin, Kailee Wong, Morlon Greenwood, Antwan Peek, Charlie Anderson, Shantee Orr. after that its a dog fight for the last two openings between DaShon Polk, Quincy Monk, Frank Chamberlin & Troy Evans. looks like Pettway goes practice squad, but I need to see more of him
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #15
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Race
A practice squad player is a free agent and can be signed by another team if the team places the player on the ACTIVE roster. I am not sure if the original team has the right to match the offer or not; however...

Joel Myers asked this question to Charley Casserly during the game and almost got laughed out of the booth. Casserly basically said Mathis will make the team. He will not be on the practice squad.
He was the one who put the thought into my brain, true enough. Only rookies to the team are allowed this right?
Old 08-21-2005   #16
texansfan1974
Veteran

My picks for WR are (AJ of course, Gaff, bradford, Armsrtong, Swinton, and Mathis

The LBs should be (Wong, Greenwood, Badin, Peek, Anderson, Evans,)

RBS (DD, Vern, Wells)

Say goodbye to Hollings, Starling,
and regretfully to Slone Thomas and Kasper The Friendly Receiver

Last edited by texansfan1974; 08-21-2005 at 12:39 PM.
texansfan1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #17
southtexan
Veteran

Quote:
I am hoping/praying like you both said we have 7 or 8 LB's and 6 WR, but you cant ever tell.. I hope you are right..

Now.. my quick question.

Can you see us with our depth at WR putting Mathis (the only WR allowed on the PS) on the practice squad. I only say this because of the depth we have there and a year of practice would help him. If there is ANY way another team can sign him (i dont know the rules of the PS), there is NO way we would/should do it. Just wondering. I ONLY say this because of our depth here..
If we put Mathis on the PS another team will pick him up quicker than a heartbeat.
southtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #18
Dime
Hall of Fame

My vote is for:
WR: AJ, Mathis, Swinton, Thomas, Armstrong (if we kept 6, it would be Kasper)
LB: Wong, Greenwood, Babin, Peek, Anderson, Orr
Old 08-21-2005   #19
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
My vote is for:
WR: AJ, Mathis, Swinton, Thomas, Armstrong (if we kept 6, it would be Kasper)
LB: Wong, Greenwood, Babin, Peek, Anderson, Orr
You cannot be serious releasing Gaffney and Bradford, can you?
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #20
Haams
All Pro

As of now- I go AJ, Bradford, Gaffney, Swinton, Mathis, and I take Sloan.
Haams is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read