Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

It's not very flattering is it?

Grid

All Pro
*EDITED FOR THE FINGER POINTERS*

Some Phillip Buchanan quotes from the Player Quotes from training camp.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=1859

(On if he is in a better situation here) “I am in a different situation, not better just different. I am out here in Houston now and taking it stride for stride.”

Im not trying to be judgemental..but I wouldnt have minded hearing him say something more positive about being in Houston. He wasnt happy in Oakland..thats common knowledge.. so now he feels the same about Houston? I doubt it.. its too early to tell..and i wouldnt want to judge him before he has a chance to show otherwise.

(On if he would like to return kicks Saturday against Oakland) “I couldn't care less. The thing is, we want to win during the season and this game is only going to help us get ready for the season. This game is not going to help us get to the playoffs.”

I dont want to judge him based just on this.. but I dont like hearing a player say "I could care less" about any aspect of football. Of course it may have been taken out of context, and I wouldnt want to judge his attiutude based solely on this quote.

(On how different a guy he is now than when he was in Oakland) “I am the same guy. I have not changed one bit. I am still the same person that is very confident and likes to have fun. That’s me and that’s never going to change.”

I was hoping for some admitted maturing here. Not that he needs it.. thats not my right to judge.. not this early.

On what your role is on the defense) “My role is to help our team win and if me making plays helps our team win, then that’s my role.”

You cant really judge him for it.. but His biggest knock in Oakland was that he got burned trying to make things happen.. But of course that is coming from oakland fans and they are too judgemental. I am hoping we teach him better, its too early to say right now.

All in all.. he didnt necessarily say anything BAD.. but he didnt say anything good either, in my opinion. From what ive seen of him so far on the field.. these comments worry me a smidge. But im not judging him yet.. Im just throwing this out there so people can say what they think of Buchanan so far. Unfortunatly people are more interested in puffing up and showing how big a fan they are. But thats ok.. im not here to judge.

I think he said alot of right things myself. This is what I get from his remarks. He said he's not in a better situation just different. Well maybe just maybe that might have been the most mature thing anyone has ever said. Saying he was in a better situation might have made it seem like he was whining, and we all know that is not a mature thing to do.
As we all know as a player plays more he not only matures as an adult but as a player. Name one hall of fame or any cb for that matter who has not been burned. He is a playmaker, and sometimes when you are trying to establish yourself you make mistakes and that is how you get better.
He came to Houston to get a new start and as fans we owe him not to criticise him for his past. What he did in Oakland did not help us loose or win so it really doesn't matter to me. The fact that he came into camp to work and prove that he is an NFL cb is what we should look at. Yes he has been burned, but in his 11 interceptions he has returned more than 30 % of them for TD's. Not to mention he has returned 3 kickoffs/punts for the same. Saying he "really doesn't care" if he returns punts to me is saying I will do what the team wants me to when they need me to do them if it helps us win ball games. More players should have this attitude. I hope QB's this year throw at him all day long and he proves to the fans that the Texans made a smart choice in signing him. To me a happy player is a good player, and good players make great players when you need to win. He said football is a business, and he's right. He doesn't care where he plays as long as he plays and can help the team win. :texflag:

big sarge said:
... He said he's not in a better situation just different. Well maybe just maybe that might have been the most mature thing anyone has ever said. Saying he was in a better situation might have made it seem like he was whining, and we all know that is not a mature thing to do....

Ala Sharper maybe? :cool:

I wouldn't read too much into his quotes. He's playing the media game of not saying anything inflamatory.

I'll judge him as a player when the season starts and we have real games on the line.

It's not like he is going to diss the people he is going to be practicing against for the next few days. He isn't trying to make enemies, he is trying to get this game behind him so he can move on.

To me he said exactly what I would expect him to say.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, seems to me like he is ready for the season to get underway and wanting to win, nothing wrong with that...

He was a cancer in Oakland, he'll be a cancer here. Instead of "Mr. Showtime" he should be Mrs. "Me Time". I see nothing him that exudes a team aspect. For all those that thought Glenn was too old and got burned from time to time, brace yourself for a "younger" pup who has an attitude and will get burned even more.

I prefer to rag on our players when they play poorly in the season and not about what I think they may play like in our scheme. Making a big deal about a few quotes that are harmless and/or ragging on him before he hits the field is kind of weak. If he plays poorly rag on him all you guys want. I just don't understand pre-emptive dissapointment posts.

Vinny said:
I prefer to rag on our players when they play poorly in the season and not about what I think they may play like in our scheme. Making a big deal about a few quotes that are harmless and/or ragging on him before he hits the field is kind of weak. If he plays poorly rag on him all you guys want. I just don't understand pre-emptive dissapointment posts.
I've watched the preseason game 3 times so far, nothing shows me that he's an upgrade over Glenn. He looks lost. All be it it's just one game, but he showed the same things in Oakland. So much for the 5 year plan. Better make six, oh wait, then you'll say its the 7 year plan. It first started out as a 3 year plan, then it was a 4 year plan, now the latest is a 5 year plan. The homers and their rose-colored glasses crack me up. I can't wait for the excuses you all will make as the season doesn't go to your expectations.

I'm not much of a homer, but rant on. I'm glad you can project how he will play based on a few moments in the pre-season, but you are just that special.

You watched the pre-season game 3 times? Man, I either really admire your dedication, or would reccomend you get a job. I just have a hard time watching 3rd stringers battle it out in a game where everybody is trying not to get hurt. I find it's a good appetizer for the season, but it doesn't tell you all that much. I also don't think you should compare buchanon and glenn. glenn was getting old and we needed some youth, glenn left rather than fight for starter. I think glenn might have been able to grab the starting spot, but I think it is good for the team overall that buchanon has it.

Marcus said:
Man, no kidding. It's like it's some kind of strange disease. :um:

It's just so that if something does go wrong they can push out their chests and say "See, I told you so".

Vinny said:
I'm not much of a homer, but rant on. I'm glad you can project how he will play based on a few moments in the pre-season, but you are just that special.
Oh you're a homer. If I'm a chicken little, then you are absolutely a :homer: It's not that I can "project" how we will play, it's more of been there done that. The Texans have not done much to make me say "boy they did a great job in upgrading the team" I guess I'm special in that sense, but call me crazy. Just because someone calls it like it is means that they are a chicken little. But when the homers wave their sparkling wands in the air as if to sprinkle euphoria all of these boards for what they "project" will be a great season, they are given a "hands off" approach. You can't have it both ways. Please keep your head in the sand and wake me around week 7 when you want to be realistic.

edo783 said:
It's just so that if something does go wrong they can push out their chests and say "See, I told you so".
And Vice Versa. You are covering the tracks of the Texans management and how they've done a poor job this offseason. Don't go scratching your head later as why our season won't be as good as expected, I'm laying it all out for you now.

SESupergenius said:
I've watched the preseason game 3 times so far, nothing shows me that he's an upgrade over Glenn. He looks lost. All be it it's just one game, but he showed the same things in Oakland. So much for the 5 year plan. Better make six, oh wait, then you'll say its the 7 year plan. It first started out as a 3 year plan, then it was a 4 year plan, now the latest is a 5 year plan. The homers and their rose-colored glasses crack me up. I can't wait for the excuses you all will make as the season doesn't go to your expectations.

R U kidding me? It's been three years and you're already throwing the towel in on the next three seasons, despite significant improvement in each of the last two seasons?... Umm, if fans who are positive about this team's potential are homers, then what on earth are you. You are looking out of some black-soiled glasses and it would crack me up if it wasn't so irritating.

Double Barrel said:
I wouldn't read too much into his quotes.

I agree with that. You can barely criticize him unless he starts saying worse things than that.

I'll judge him as a player when the season starts and we have real games on the line.

Exactly. The preseason is too early to make a case against the guy. Until the season starts, the games mean almost nothing unless you're a backup. So don't be judging the starters too harshly.

Buzz said:
I agree with that. You can barely criticize him unless he starts saying worse things than that.

Exactly. The preseason is too early to make a case against the guy. Until the season starts, the games mean almost nothing unless you're a backup. So don't be judging the starters too harshly.

Hey did you know that Buchanon played with the Raiders and that you could have watched him on TV??? This whole TV thing is crazy, you can actually watch players player the game. Ingenious! Oh wait, Buchanon entered the "space port" in Houston and wala! he's a new p layer! :ok:

Since I have not personally met with Buchanon I will not say he is a "me first" type of player. I just want to see a couple of interceptions returned for TD's this season. Hopefully they are against the Colts.

Pre-season is important for Buchanon this year. He has to learn a new defense and get to where he reacts without having to think about his assigment. I agree with his statment about kick and punt returns. No need for him to fight for that position. I've never liked the idea of a starting position player returning kicks. I will hold off making a judgment on the Buchanon trade till after the season. I have a feeling he is going to start off the season with some mistakes. How he handles the criticism will make or break him. Buchanon doesn't give the company line, he tells it like it is; A lot like Charles Barkley.

What cracks me up are those who think they can grade DBs by watching games on TV or replays of those games, catching a few glimpses of coverage only when the ball is thrown the direction of a defender in question. People will see one blown coverage and knee jerk all over the place while they are oblivious to the other ten coverages that were perfect. Unless you have access to coaches tape or you're sitting in the stands focusing on a certain player (DBs especially, LBs also to some degree), it's pretty tough if not downright impossible for joe fan to make some of the player evaluations I see on this forum from time to time.

Rise above it dalemurphy, there's a lot of comic relief on this board when you get right down to it.

For some real insight: Justice on Buchanon

aj. said:
What cracks me up are those who think they can grade DBs by watching games on TV or replays of those games, catching a few glimpses of coverage only when the ball is thrown the direction of a defender in question. People will see one blown coverage and knee jerk all over the place while they are oblivious to the other ten coverages that were perfect. Unless you have access to coaches tape or you're sitting in the stands focusing on a certain player (DBs especially, LBs also to some degree), it's pretty tough if not downright impossible for joe fan to make some of the player evaluations I see on this forum from time to time.

Rise above it dalemurphy, there's a lot of comic relief on this board when you get right down to it.

RACK IT :ok:

aj. said:

You are correct sir!! If you don't see your CB on TV they must be doing a good job, cause they aren't throwing at him.

PS: Nice article also.
:texans:

SESupergenius said:
Hey did you know that Buchanon played with the Raiders and that you could have watched him on TV??? This whole TV thing is crazy, you can actually watch players player the game. Ingenious! Oh wait, Buchanon entered the "space port" in Houston and wala! he's a new p layer! :ok:

if I picked what Buchanon can do.. Only time I really watched him,was that year the Titans played them and He tore them up.
of course that was a few years back

For all of those that attacked me in this thread. All together now:

"This Sky is Falling"

Wow.

Noooooooooooooooooobody is returning to own up for their :homer: comments.

Nicely stated, SES.

That just goes to show that people blah-blah-blah and worry more about being politically correct to fit in with the rest of the gang instead of analyzing his past play and calling it the way it ought to be called.

Anyway, I'm glad you came back to the topic to show how much of a 180-degree change the outlook on Buchanon has undergone recently.

gpshafer_1976 said:
Wow.

Noooooooooooooooooobody is returning to own up for their :homer: comments.

Nicely stated, SES.

That just goes to show that people blah-blah-blah and worry more about being politically correct to fit in with the rest of the gang instead of analyzing his past play and calling it the way it ought to be called.

Anyway, I'm glad you came back to the topic to show how much of a 180-degree change the outlook on Buchanon has undergone recently.
huh? I think I stated that I would rather base my opinion on his play than on spec. Some of you guys are unreal. Call me a homer all you want but you don't know what you are talking about. When he plays poorly in reality we can dog him based on reality. Anything other than that is spec. Good for ses on this but most people were down on pbuc. Some other people just wait to form hard opinions.

Vin,

you put THE SKY IS FALLING and had it linked to a clip of (Shatner?) as if SES was out of his mind.

it was funny, don't get me wrong.

but I thought your attempt with that post was to pile onto SES.

Nothing personal, just the way I see it.

For the record, because i don;t think I ever made comments on it at the time...I didn't form a hard opinion on Buchanon during camp. But his play against Oakland and Denver made my mind up really quick. He did the same thing against an Oakland WR that he did against a RB of the Broncos: Both ball carriers came around the end of the line and Buchanon dove to the inside of the WR and the RB on both plays, almost a mirror image. If you have it on tape, watch it to see what I mean. He really wanted to lay a hit on both players, but it was as if he had vision problems and had no depth perception on both plays. That's when I was like, "Oh great.........."

Dude is not gonna' be a vital part of the defensive backfield for any team...ever.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell SES "good job" and I probably overdid it a bit. Sorry.

There are several things this offseason that the Texans did wrong, this is just one of them. It's not like nobody hasn't seen PBurnt play, he had a few years in Oakland for everyone to size up his play. The thing that stuck out the most to me was that Oakland switched to a 3-4 and Buchanon got burnt even more. Then we bring him in to be our #1 CB???

Back