Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2005   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default It's not very flattering is it? (not that im judging)

*EDITED FOR THE FINGER POINTERS*

Some Phillip Buchanan quotes from the Player Quotes from training camp.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ne...php?PRKey=1859

Quote:
(On if he is in a better situation here) “I am in a different situation, not better just different. I am out here in Houston now and taking it stride for stride.”
Im not trying to be judgemental..but I wouldnt have minded hearing him say something more positive about being in Houston. He wasnt happy in Oakland..thats common knowledge.. so now he feels the same about Houston? I doubt it.. its too early to tell..and i wouldnt want to judge him before he has a chance to show otherwise.

Quote:
(On if he would like to return kicks Saturday against Oakland) “I couldn't care less. The thing is, we want to win during the season and this game is only going to help us get ready for the season. This game is not going to help us get to the playoffs.”
I dont want to judge him based just on this.. but I dont like hearing a player say "I could care less" about any aspect of football. Of course it may have been taken out of context, and I wouldnt want to judge his attiutude based solely on this quote.

Quote:
(On how different a guy he is now than when he was in Oakland) “I am the same guy. I have not changed one bit. I am still the same person that is very confident and likes to have fun. That’s me and that’s never going to change.”
I was hoping for some admitted maturing here. Not that he needs it.. thats not my right to judge.. not this early.

Quote:
On what your role is on the defense) “My role is to help our team win and if me making plays helps our team win, then that’s my role.”
You cant really judge him for it.. but His biggest knock in Oakland was that he got burned trying to make things happen.. But of course that is coming from oakland fans and they are too judgemental. I am hoping we teach him better, its too early to say right now.

All in all.. he didnt necessarily say anything BAD.. but he didnt say anything good either, in my opinion. From what ive seen of him so far on the field.. these comments worry me a smidge. But im not judging him yet.. Im just throwing this out there so people can say what they think of Buchanan so far. Unfortunatly people are more interested in puffing up and showing how big a fan they are. But thats ok.. im not here to judge.

Last edited by Grid; 08-19-2005 at 03:18 PM.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #2
big sarge
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 big sarge is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbig sarge is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I think he said alot of right things myself. This is what I get from his remarks. He said he's not in a better situation just different. Well maybe just maybe that might have been the most mature thing anyone has ever said. Saying he was in a better situation might have made it seem like he was whining, and we all know that is not a mature thing to do.
As we all know as a player plays more he not only matures as an adult but as a player. Name one hall of fame or any cb for that matter who has not been burned. He is a playmaker, and sometimes when you are trying to establish yourself you make mistakes and that is how you get better.
He came to Houston to get a new start and as fans we owe him not to criticise him for his past. What he did in Oakland did not help us loose or win so it really doesn't matter to me. The fact that he came into camp to work and prove that he is an NFL cb is what we should look at. Yes he has been burned, but in his 11 interceptions he has returned more than 30 % of them for TD's. Not to mention he has returned 3 kickoffs/punts for the same. Saying he "really doesn't care" if he returns punts to me is saying I will do what the team wants me to when they need me to do them if it helps us win ball games. More players should have this attitude. I hope QB's this year throw at him all day long and he proves to the fans that the Texans made a smart choice in signing him. To me a happy player is a good player, and good players make great players when you need to win. He said football is a business, and he's right. He doesn't care where he plays as long as he plays and can help the team win.
big sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #3
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 36225 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by big sarge
... He said he's not in a better situation just different. Well maybe just maybe that might have been the most mature thing anyone has ever said. Saying he was in a better situation might have made it seem like he was whining, and we all know that is not a mature thing to do....
Ala Sharper maybe?
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't read too much into his quotes. He's playing the media game of not saying anything inflamatory.

I'll judge him as a player when the season starts and we have real games on the line.
Old 08-19-2005   #5
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

It's not like he is going to diss the people he is going to be practicing against for the next few days. He isn't trying to make enemies, he is trying to get this game behind him so he can move on.

To me he said exactly what I would expect him to say.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #6
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, seems to me like he is ready for the season to get underway and wanting to win, nothing wrong with that...
Old 08-19-2005   #7
SESupergenius

He was a cancer in Oakland, he'll be a cancer here. Instead of "Mr. Showtime" he should be Mrs. "Me Time". I see nothing him that exudes a team aspect. For all those that thought Glenn was too old and got burned from time to time, brace yourself for a "younger" pup who has an attitude and will get burned even more.
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2005   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #9
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I like Chicken Little better. Have been waiting for this for a couple hours Vinny, you had your morning coffee yet?
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I prefer to rag on our players when they play poorly in the season and not about what I think they may play like in our scheme. Making a big deal about a few quotes that are harmless and/or ragging on him before he hits the field is kind of weak. If he plays poorly rag on him all you guys want. I just don't understand pre-emptive dissapointment posts.

Old 08-19-2005   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just don't understand pre-emptive dissapointment posts.
Man, no kidding. It's like it's some kind of strange disease.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #12
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

especially about player quotes.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #13
SESupergenius

Quote:
I prefer to rag on our players when they play poorly in the season and not about what I think they may play like in our scheme. Making a big deal about a few quotes that are harmless and/or ragging on him before he hits the field is kind of weak. If he plays poorly rag on him all you guys want. I just don't understand pre-emptive dissapointment posts.
I've watched the preseason game 3 times so far, nothing shows me that he's an upgrade over Glenn. He looks lost. All be it it's just one game, but he showed the same things in Oakland. So much for the 5 year plan. Better make six, oh wait, then you'll say its the 7 year plan. It first started out as a 3 year plan, then it was a 4 year plan, now the latest is a 5 year plan. The homers and their rose-colored glasses crack me up. I can't wait for the excuses you all will make as the season doesn't go to your expectations.
Old 08-19-2005   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

I'm not much of a homer, but rant on. I'm glad you can project how he will play based on a few moments in the pre-season, but you are just that special.

Old 08-19-2005   #15
Haams
All Pro

You watched the pre-season game 3 times? Man, I either really admire your dedication, or would reccomend you get a job. I just have a hard time watching 3rd stringers battle it out in a game where everybody is trying not to get hurt. I find it's a good appetizer for the season, but it doesn't tell you all that much. I also don't think you should compare buchanon and glenn. glenn was getting old and we needed some youth, glenn left rather than fight for starter. I think glenn might have been able to grab the starting spot, but I think it is good for the team overall that buchanon has it.
Haams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #16
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Man, no kidding. It's like it's some kind of strange disease.
It's just so that if something does go wrong they can push out their chests and say "See, I told you so".

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #17
SESupergenius

Quote:
I'm not much of a homer, but rant on. I'm glad you can project how he will play based on a few moments in the pre-season, but you are just that special.
Oh you're a homer. If I'm a chicken little, then you are absolutely a It's not that I can "project" how we will play, it's more of been there done that. The Texans have not done much to make me say "boy they did a great job in upgrading the team" I guess I'm special in that sense, but call me crazy. Just because someone calls it like it is means that they are a chicken little. But when the homers wave their sparkling wands in the air as if to sprinkle euphoria all of these boards for what they "project" will be a great season, they are given a "hands off" approach. You can't have it both ways. Please keep your head in the sand and wake me around week 7 when you want to be realistic.

Last edited by Vinny; 08-19-2005 at 04:32 PM. Reason: deleted the comment towards Haams
Old 08-19-2005   #18
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
It's just so that if something does go wrong they can push out their chests and say "See, I told you so".
And Vice Versa. You are covering the tracks of the Texans management and how they've done a poor job this offseason. Don't go scratching your head later as why our season won't be as good as expected, I'm laying it all out for you now.

Last edited by SESupergenius; 08-19-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-19-2005   #19
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
I've watched the preseason game 3 times so far, nothing shows me that he's an upgrade over Glenn. He looks lost. All be it it's just one game, but he showed the same things in Oakland. So much for the 5 year plan. Better make six, oh wait, then you'll say its the 7 year plan. It first started out as a 3 year plan, then it was a 4 year plan, now the latest is a 5 year plan. The homers and their rose-colored glasses crack me up. I can't wait for the excuses you all will make as the season doesn't go to your expectations.
R U kidding me? It's been three years and you're already throwing the towel in on the next three seasons, despite significant improvement in each of the last two seasons?... Umm, if fans who are positive about this team's potential are homers, then what on earth are you. You are looking out of some black-soiled glasses and it would crack me up if it wasn't so irritating.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #20
Buzz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I wouldn't read too much into his quotes.
I agree with that. You can barely criticize him unless he starts saying worse things than that.

Quote:
I'll judge him as a player when the season starts and we have real games on the line.
Exactly. The preseason is too early to make a case against the guy. Until the season starts, the games mean almost nothing unless you're a backup. So don't be judging the starters too harshly.
Buzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read