Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2005   #41
The Preacher
Veteran

They're either geniuses or halfway to the asylum. I just don't know which one.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #42
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
I am not sure I've ever seen an explanation or whatnot, but why does the team insist on keeping Pitts away from the LT position?
I don't recall hearing anyone from the organization going really in-depth into it, but I do remember hearing that they believe Pitts will be a Pro Bowl quality LG and don't want to move him around anymore. I think they realize that if they moved Pitts to LT it would make the interior of the line that much weaker.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #43
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I still think they are just trying to patch the LT position until this next draft. I don't think it really mattered if it was Wand or Riley. I think they knew this would likely continue to be a problem area. The only real option they have had to fix that in this offseason was Pace, and we all know how that went. They weren't able to address the position, so they have to "make do" until 2006.

I expect our offense to be basically the same as last year with a bit more seasoning. I think our defense will improve, though, and that will be the difference in a 7-9 and a 9-7 record.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #44
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
I am not sure I've ever seen an explanation or whatnot, but why does the team insist on keeping Pitts away from the LT position?
People are letting time heal all wounds on Pitts at LT. Yes he was much better than in 2002 but realistically the bar was really low. Part of his improvement in 2003 came because he decided he would rather have penalties than sacks (he openly said he held on purpose to avoid sacks in an interview) and racked up 17 penalties (8 false starts & 7 holds included) along the way. Bottom line, at the end of 2003 there was no one around here thinking Pitts was the long term answer at LT. He can be an average LT, but Riley and Wand can be that, so why move him from LG where he may be a pro-bowl type player?
Old 08-18-2005   #45
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I still think they are just trying to patch the LT position until this next draft. I don't think it really mattered if it was Wand or Riley. I think they knew this would likely continue to be a problem area. The only real option they have had to fix that in this offseason was Pace, and we all know how that went. They weren't able to address the position, so they have to "make do" until 2006.

I expect our offense to be basically the same as last year with a bit more seasoning. I think our defense will improve, though, and that will be the difference in a 7-9 and a 9-7 record.
They'll have to "patch it" for more than 1 year. Even if they get their franchise LT of choice in the draft, it is unlikely he would be an upgrade his first year. One of the more recent players touted as a franchise LT, Robert Gallery, will be playing for the Raiders at right tackle. It took him a while to crack the line-up, and then on the right side. It's hard to impact an NFL O-line your first year.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #46
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
They'll have to "patch it" for more than 1 year. Even if they get their franchise LT of choice in the draft, it is unlikely he would be an upgrade his first year. One of the more recent players touted as a franchise LT, Robert Gallery, will be playing for the Raiders at right tackle. It took him a while to crack the line-up, and then on the right side. It's hard to impact an NFL O-line your first year.
That's what I've been trying to tell everybody. He'll be another rookie trying to learn the zone blocking scheme. Is that an upgrade? I think not.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #47
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Bottom line, at the end of 2003 there was no one around here thinking Pitts was the long term answer at LT. He can be an average LT, but Riley and Wand can be that, so why move him from LG where he may be a pro-bowl type player?
I just can't buy that because I still remember how well Chester played against
Jason Taylor in the season opener in '03 - Chester was competitive and then some and his effort was a contributing factor for what may still be our biggest road win. Now Wand vs. Feeney last year, that wasn't competition that was embarrasing and there was some plays where I don't think Wand could have touched him, let alone blocked him. Chester is our best LT (no matter where they got him lining up), but for whaterver reason(s) doesn't
look like they are gonna move him out there.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2005   #48
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
So ummmm we draft rookies in the "year of the O-line" and place them in the starting role and expect the texans to make a run at the superbowl...
In '01, rookie LT Matt Light started 15 games for New England, including their Super Bowl victory over the Rams. Not as far-fetched as it seems. Of the 18 NFL starting LTs who were 1st round picks, 9 started at LT as rookies. It happens.
Old 08-18-2005   #49
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

CC and Dom on the O-line ...

CC: "Only 49 sacks last season ..... Its not that bad .

Dom: yeah , its better than the 72 we had in our first season and we have a tough QB .

CC: No need to upgrade the O-line this season , maybe we'll get someone in the second or third round in next years draft .

Dom: Yeah , sounds like a good idea lets go watch the grass grow .... errrr play some golf .

As much as i like what Travis Johnson brings to the Texans D i Really think the team would have been better served by taking Jammal Brown @ 13 instead . The Texans have been searching for a true LT since day one and its well beyond time they solidify the position because until they do the offense is not gonna reach its potential . Forget about play-offs until the O-line gets upgraded.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #50
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How many dang inches ?

Quote:
People are letting time heal all wounds on Pitts at LT. Yes he was much better than in 2002 but realistically the bar was really low. Part of his improvement in 2003 came because he decided he would rather have penalties than sacks (he openly said he held on purpose to avoid sacks in an interview) and racked up 17 penalties (8 false starts & 7 holds included) along the way. Bottom line, at the end of 2003 there was no one around here thinking Pitts was the long term answer at LT. He can be an average LT, but Riley and Wand can be that, so why move him from LG where he may be a pro-bowl type player?
Great thread all:
My two cents worth is mearly the thought that the panick button was pushed shortly after our fab five was stuffed like grannies thanksgiving turkey against a good but not great Denver D line.
You'd figgure with four shots the blind hog would find the acorn. The waggle was open no doubt. Carr could of boot legged it in. The coaches wanted to know and they found out. With four shots at it, this group of O-lineman couldn't get it done. This is the point in time when you find out about guys. Somebody has to step up. This is a very bad 3-4 we are facing this week. They have guys outta postion and the just traded their best two players from last year. It will make a very good gauge as to where we are. Do the Texan s have that one guy they can hang there hats on in a short yardage situation ? And again I don't want to be a spoil sport, but those of you that have us sweeping Jacksonville again and splitting with the rest of the division are looking at it through rose colored glasses.In my heart I hope that happens. My head says if Buffallo's front seven rips us the first game, its's going to be a long time untill April. Buffalo has one of the better D line schemes in the league. The next worse thing is going to be if Riley stinks up the house at LT and we're back to square one. Wand goes back. There is a price to be paid when you go cheap on the O-line and things don't work out. If the second day guys come through you're a genius. If they don't, your redrafting a franchise QB. With a pool so deep next year there are a bunch of us who hope the franchise finally gets wet. Carr's wife & Moma sure would appreciate it. JMHO.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #51
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wand Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Wand is actually a pretty solid run blocker. It's his feet that are in question. He drive blocks well. Being tall he may have some leverage issues against shorter stockier inside technique guys though.
Not picking a fight here Vinny, and I stand to be corrected, but I thought one of the things that held Wand out of the first round was his lack of upper body strength ? Now he's had a couple of years in an NFL weight room I agree. But there is a different type of cat awaiting Mr. Wand on the inside verses the outside. I aggree with your statement. But the matrix has shifted. He's a great run blocker ..... at LT. Just as Babin is a great run defender at LB. Again I don't know for sure. The pudding will be out of the oven saturday night. Only hope Wand is not in it. We'll see. If we can't block Oakland's front seven, the season is in peril. Tennessee and Jacksonville has animals on the inside and they're hooooungry. JMHO.
Old 08-18-2005   #52
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete
...If we can't block Oakland's front seven, the season is in peril. Tennessee and Jacksonville has animals on the inside and they're hooooungry. JMHO.
Wiegert is out for a few games. Maybe the preseason plus opening day in Buffalo. I don't think the season is in peril.
Old 08-18-2005   #53
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
that the panick button was pushed shortly after.....With four shots at it, this group of O-lineman couldn't get it done.
Very poor example IMO. First off...I've seen quite a few awesome offenses get stuffed on 4 straight running plays at the goalline.

We'd been practicing against the Broncos all week. We ALWAYS ran when Smith was brought in to the offense. Weigart was injured. Carr said they only had 2 goal lines plays. They ran those 2 plays 4 times against a defense that knew what was coming. Odds are against you in that instance.

I see no reason to push the panic button after that series or any of the preseason for that matter.
Exascor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #54
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
As much as i like what Travis Johnson brings to the Texans D i Really think the team would have been better served by taking Jammal Brown @ 13 instead . The Texans have been searching for a true LT since day one and its well beyond time they solidify the position because until they do the offense is not gonna reach its potential . Forget about play-offs until the O-line gets upgraded.
So the solution to getting a true LT is to draft a guy scouts almost unanimously think will be a RT? Sounds like a plan--not a good one, but it's a plan.
Old 08-18-2005   #55
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Default Hmmm Like a chair ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Wiegert is out for a few games. Maybe the preseason plus opening day in Buffalo. I don't think the season is in peril.
The operative word is "high". Anyone who has had one KNOWS, Wiegert will be plaing hurt in All the games in '05. It will not heal untill March. He'll do it. But the more he plays on it the worse it will get. JFYI. Your back ups are now Fred Weary, the new guy and Wand. IMHO the season is in peril.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 08-18-2005 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling, typos
Old 08-18-2005   #56
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So the solution to getting a true LT is to draft a guy scouts almost unanimously think will be a RT? Sounds like a plan--not a good one, but it's a plan.
Agreed. We have not been in a position to draft a credible procpect at LT the last two drafts. To get one we would have had to sacrifice a lot of depeth. You'll see a good proscpect this weekend. Robert Gallery is supposed to be the next generation of NFL super left tackels. Guys will just have to step up this year. The '06 tallent pool is loaded. We should get well in a hurry. The team has addressed it's depth problems. They are only a couple of peices away, IMHO.
Old 08-18-2005   #57
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Preacher
They're either geniuses or halfway to the asylum. I just don't know which one.
I'm hoping geniuses
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #58
Lucky

Quote:
The operative word is "high". Anyone who has had one KNOWS, Wiegert will be plaing hurt in All the games in '05. It will not heal untill March...
Thanks, Doc.

Todd Wade had a high ankle sprain in '04, missing about 2 1/2 games. FYI.
Old 08-18-2005   #59
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
That could possibly be the case, but there is no telling. This team might make the playoffs, but we probably won't make it far without at least an above average LT. I don't see that guy on our current roster. You have to way overpay for guys on the free agent market at LT. So where do we get this guy? In the draft.

Keep in mind that we didn't know how fast AJ, Dunte, or Carr would contribute either. Wide receiver is one of the hardest positions to learn in the NFL, yet AJ contributed almost immediately. Robinson struggled the early part of his rookie year, but came on to perform at Pro Bowl levels down the stretch. Carr struggled his first two years and just really started to show some skills last year. So which one will Bull LeftTackle end up being? Who knows? I'd rather see us take a calculated risk on one of those than to wait indefinitely for Wand to live up to his p-curseword.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #60
SESupergenius

We still don't have the LT position solidified, we still don't have a true #2 reciever, we still don't have an all- around TE. All that equals no trip to the playoffs. An d don't get me started on the changes to the defense.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read