Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2005   #1
LoNghoRn-TeXaN
Veteran

Default Wand moves to right guard

Quote:
Victor Riley, an eight-year veteran signed as a free agent in the offseason, has won the starting job at left tackle.

Moving to right guard means that Wand, a third-round pick in 2003, has now played or practiced at every position in the line other than center.
According to the Houston Chronicle:

Wand moves to right guard
LoNghoRn-TeXaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #2
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like we've changed the Oline around alot. The question is whether Wand permanantly replaces Weigert at RG. Maybe he's a better guard than tackle and this may be his shot to prove it. guess we'll have to wait and see.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #3
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Remember, Wiegert has also played LT. This is an interesting development. Wiegert's injury has been diagnoised as an ankle sprain and not a high ankle sprain. He's been having problems with that in TC, and it appears, reinjured it in the game. Wiegert is one of our best linement and hopefully they can rest him and get his ankle healed. I for one like the fact that their finally trying some people and moving them around. I still would love to see Pitts given a try at center. Again McKinney played guard at Indy, not center.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

this is unfreaking believable as the days pass so do the offensive lineman. if anyone had doubts about which area of the team was most uncertain all one has to look at is this Texans offensive line. It makes me uncomfortable to even think about it, I sure hope they know what they're doing. Personally I think its a big mistake to move Wand from the LT position & Riley would be the better replacement for Weigert since he has RT experience. Where is David Baas when you need him :brickwall
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #5
TexHorns
Veteran

What you dont see is that it takes your eyes a few years to gel before you can consistently see that we have no solution to the o-line problem! :brickwall Other than that, it's fine.
TexHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #6
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought the whole reason the Texans didn't draft or sign any free agents on the o-line, was to let the guys we have on the line gel for once instead of switching everyone around. Kinda hard for them to gel when there is still not a consistant line. McKinney has practiced at C & RG, Wand at LT, LG, RG, Pitts at LT & LG. Seems kinda hard to develop any chemistry like this.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #7
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

This is a temporary stop. Next year is "the year of the OL". I believe we will draft our LT next year. I personally think Wans will eventually become our all around OL backup. Every team needs that type of player. So I would say that Wand is not a wasted pick. As far as the OL is concerned, next year should be more interesting IMHO.
Old 08-17-2005   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
Personally I think its a big mistake to move Wand from the LT position & Riley would be the better replacement for Weigert since he has RT experience. Where is David Baas when you need him :brickwall
I'm still campaigning to move Chester back to LT - its the most important OL
position, he's played it better than anyone so far and he's got 2 years of experience there as the starter, and he's a good bet to stay in the lineup as he is one of our most injury free players (knock on wood!). We still really don't
know how Riley is gonna hold up when DC takes a deep drop for one of the wideouts to run a fly pattern - I'm gonna be holding my breath when's got to
handle the edge rusher in that scenario. But let them experiment all they want
to now because you don't want to have to do it in the reg season when a
OL starter goes down. As far as not picking up Bass or someone like him in this years draft - that's Cass call, he obviously thought PB was more important than retaining that 2 & 3 - something else we'll about when the
reg season unfolds.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #9
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Riley played LT in college.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
Personally I think its a big mistake to move Wand from the LT position & Riley would be the better replacement for Weigert since he has RT experience.
Agreed, although I'm sure this is a temporary fix. Weigert will start when he's back. Wand is a better back-up at the tackle and guard positions then we've had before, so that is something. He's also a better left tackle than Riley, which I think will be proven when Riley starts playing significant time in the upcoming pre-season games. I don't think he'll be able to handle a speed rusher on a consistent basis as well as Wand.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77470 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

All of you act as if they are not going to have any more injuries on the offensive line. They will. One will probably go down in the Oakland game for some reason or another. Then, in the Dallas game after that, and so on. And guess what, it happen during the regular season, too.

The focus is to get the best 5 linemen on the field at the same time, so what's wrong with getting different linemen some experience at different positions. The coaching staff is trying to prepare for those eventual injury situations that are going to crop up. Don't blame them if ya'll are not prepared for it.

And what makes ya'll think that all is going to go right in the world if they draft that 'premiere' LT next year? Another unproven rookie injected into the lineup that knows zip about zone-blocking. I can hardly wait.

And besides, from the games I watched last season, with the exception of Freeney, the push came up the middle, not from the edge. So be positive, Wand might be an upgrade.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #12
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

I'm excited about the prospect of Wand at RG, I think he may fit in well there as a backup for Weigert. It disappoints me that Riley is going to be our starting LT though. I was really hoping that Wand would win the job and show further progress this year, instead of inserting a journeyman in his place. If after four seasons we still haven't fixed the O-line to where they can atleast perform at a satisfactory level, we damn well better address it in full during next year's draft/offseason.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #13
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
So be positive, Wand might be an upgrade.
I didn't want to say that - I'm sure people are tired of hearing me harp on Wand.

In my opinion, he's taken a lot of unfair grief for whatever reason, but I think talent and physical skills will tell in the end. The coaches are hard on him to help him reach his potential, and the fans take this to mean he can't play. It's just the opposite; they expect a lot from him and want him to get there NOW. Going up against Peek all camp with the second string had to be great preparation for this league's speed rushers, for example.
Old 08-17-2005   #14
geofb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHorns
What you dont see is that it takes your eyes a few years to gel before you can consistently see that we have no solution to the o-line problem! :brickwall Other than that, it's fine.
Too funny. So much for the "give it time to gel" argument. Wand was probably just starting to transform from the liquid to solid state at LT and now this. He's back to the fully liquid state in a new position now.
geofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #15
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer

Hmmm.... This gives the O-line coach another excuse. "We had guys at different positions." Doesn't every team? In 2003, we cut way down on sacks with Pitts at LT. Why did that stop?
Old 08-17-2005   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
Gaurd will be good for him.
Wand's long suite is not strength which is very important to effectivey go up against the big 4-3 tackles he'll be facing as a gaurd.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Wand is actually a pretty solid run blocker. It's his feet that are in question. He drive blocks well. Being tall he may have some leverage issues against shorter stockier inside technique guys though.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofb
Too funny. So much for the "give it time to gel" argument. Wand was probably just starting to transform from the liquid to solid state at LT and now this. He's back to the fully liquid state in a new position now.
now, that's kinda funny.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #19
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

yeah, he was playing RG last night on the televised practice on NFL Network, and got absolutely OWNED by Gary Walker.
Old 08-17-2005   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
yeah, he was playing RG last night on the televised practice on NFL Network, and got absolutely OWNED by Gary Walker.
On the first play of team drills when Walker got under him it looked pretty bad. The first play at a new position is enough for evaluation and "ownership" around here, even though Wand adjusted and absolutely stopped on Walker the very next play.

Last edited by Runner; 08-17-2005 at 10:55 AM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read