Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-16-2005   #1
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 35979 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Volek Wants Out Of Possum Holler?

He had his chance last year and didnt take it. Whats up with Rosenhaus clients?

Link to Story

cac:

Last edited by cuppacoffee; 08-16-2005 at 11:22 AM.
cuppacoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #2
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33516 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Mind pasting a clip of that article please? That site is blocked for me.
Exascor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #3
Str8tupg42k1
Veteran

Agent pushes for Volek trade

Rosenhaus says Titans backup QB should be NFL starter

Quote:
By JIM WYATT
Staff Writer

Agent Drew Rosenhaus took a T.O. from the Terrell Owens saga yesterday to stir things up at Titans training camp.

Rosenhaus said he's on a mission to find another job for one of his clients, Titans backup quarterback Billy Volek, possibly by the start of this season.

"There are a lot of back-ups who might be 23 or 24 years old and that is OK for them, but Billy is in the stage of his career right now where he should really be starting somewhere,'' Rosenhaus said.
http://www.bugmenot.com/
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....60/1328/SPORTS
Str8tupg42k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

We needs excerpts, not whole articles, posted and a link to accompany the article or it will get taken down. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2005   #5
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33516 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks Str8t. Hard to respect Rosenhaus' tactics but he does go all out for his players (his pocketbook).
Exascor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147190 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
Look, McNair should have retired last year. I'm not saying he's not a great QB, but you know what...he doesn't have the players around him anymore to make him carry the team like has has before. WR...gone. RB...as far as I'm concerned, Brown doesn't cut it. O-line...got rid of them. Volek played solid last year and got real close with all the players while McNair was out, and I think it is a mistake not to have him start. So, unfortunately, I agree with Rosen-krap to seek a trade.

None of this matters .... Just like T.O. Volek is under contract w/ the Titans and should have to honor it just the same
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #7
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 35979 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
None of this matters .... Just like T.O. Volek is under contract w/ the Titans and should have to honor it just the same
My point exactly. Last year was his opportunity and he passed on it.
Did he not get any offers last year?
What has changed this year to make him second guess his decision last year? '
He knew the team was in cap trouble and changes were coming.
Best guess......its Rosenhaus stirring the pot after screwing up last year and not getting Volek out then.
Old 08-20-2005   #8
marroncito
Rookie

Default here's the article

The full text if you haven't seen it

-----

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....60/1328/SPORTS

Agent pushes for Volek trade

Rosenhaus says Titans backup QB should be NFL starter

By JIM WYATT
Staff Writer

Agent Drew Rosenhaus took a T.O. from the Terrell Owens saga yesterday to stir things up at Titans training camp.

Rosenhaus said he's on a mission to find another job for one of his clients, Titans backup quarterback Billy Volek, possibly by the start of this season.

"There are a lot of back-ups who might be 23 or 24 years old and that is OK for them, but Billy is in the stage of his career right now where he should really be starting somewhere,'' Rosenhaus said.

"When you look around the league and see guys getting injured and you see some of the teams who have starters that are not in Billy's class, it begs the question: Is it in Billy's best interest to be here?''

Rosenhaus spoke with Titans General Manager Floyd Reese and Titans Coach Jeff Fisher yesterday about Volek. He said the team did not give him permission to seek a trade, "but I think if the price is right I am sure they would consider it.''

Fisher didn't sound so sure. Volek, 29, started eight games last season for the injured Steve McNair.

"To me, that wouldn't make sense,'' Fisher said. "You have to have two good quarterbacks to have a chance to win. We have two quarterbacks. Why would you give one away unless you have a chance to get a better one? We are not in the business of developing players to play for other people right now. We are developing players for our future.''

Volek threw for 2,486 yards and 18 touchdowns last season, his fifth in the NFL. It was his first real taste of starting, and yesterday he admitted it hasn't been easy slipping back into a reserve role.

No matter what happens over the next few weeks, however, he said he's prepared to "be the best backup I can be'' this season.

"I'll never hold out,'' Volek said. "I'll never do what Pacman is doing. I'll never do what T.O. is doing and Drew knows it. I don't know if (Rosenhaus) is really pressing the issue so much right now. He is more or less laying a foundation with Floyd and letting him know what I am thinking about for my future.

"I want to be a starter and right now I am called to be the backup for Steve McNair. Depending on what Steve does this year and years down the road, if he does decide to come back then I want to go somewhere and be the starter.''

Rosenhaus pointed to the situation in Chicago when talking about Volek's future. Bears quarterback Rex Grossman suffered a broken ankle last weekend and will miss 3-4 months. On Sunday, the Bears signed veteran Jeff Blake.

Rosenhaus said Volek may have fit with the Bears, and wants his client in a position to strike if an opportunity arises elsewhere.

McNair, heading into his 11th season, hasn't made any promises about how much longer he'll play. He has said it's year-to-year, but the Titans will need a decision from him by March because of a $50 million option bonus attached to his contract.

The Titans added the bonus last offseason in reworking McNair's contract. To avoid paying it and landing in a major salary cap mess, the Titans could rework the contract again which would likely include an extension or release McNair.

Volek turned down offers from other teams last offseason to sign with the Titans through 2008 (an option year). The contract included a no-trade clause, which Volek could waive.

"All due respect to Steve McNair, who is the guy right now, Billy is in a position right now where he is playing with second and third stringers, and Billy is not that kind of guy,'' Rosenhaus said. "It is tough on him. The statistics last year tell you if you give him an entire season as a starter he could be as productive as anyone.

"He is a very humble, classy team-oriented person, but this is a scenario that I am not doing my job if I am not aggressively pushing him into a position where he can play up to his ability. This is a situation where he is out of place here. He is not a back-up.''
marroncito is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read