Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2005   #61
Waltman
Rookie

A wild card spot is better than nothing and that's all we need to do some damage in the playoffs. I think we are going raise a few eyebrows this year. There's always a couple of teams that sleep on us and if we could just beat the one's we're suppose to, we will be in the playoffs whether by wild card or out right taking it. This is the year.
Waltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #62
NoBullTexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComstockLode
In so many words I agree with everything you pointed out.

I know alot of people hate palmer, but the playcalling isnt so much the problem, it is the personnel. He has tried to limit the sacks by alot of 3 and 5 step drops. The opposing defenses get alot of pressure, and we run alot of screen plays to DD. Seems like good coaching to me. Bottomline I will throw this stat at you one more time. We were 24th in the league in passing attempts, yet we were 7th in the league in sacks allowed....which is besides the fact that we probably run the most 3 step drops in the league.[/b]

If anyone should be on the chopping block it is casserly.
Why in the heck should you say Casserly should be on the chopping block? The Dude has done an excellent job of making something out of nothing four years ago. Everything this team is, or hopes to be, is because of Charley's efforts.

It is not Palmer's game calling in the past that is so galling, it is Caper's philosophy of Keep It Close till the Fourth Quarter, and then Try to Win It Then! At some point you have to start coaching a more up field, put in the air type of game, especially when the league is dedicated to doing it that way. Do we have the personnel right now to do it, especially on the OL, Maybe not, but you will have to start coaching it, at some point, to really find out if these guys can learn pass blocking or not.
Old 08-17-2005   #63
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 129709 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBullTexan
Why in the heck should you say Casserly should be on the chopping block? The Dude has done an excellent job of making something out of nothing four years ago. Everything this team is, or hopes to be, is because of Charley's efforts.

It is not Palmer's game calling in the past that is so galling, it is Caper's philosophy of Keep It Close till the Fourth Quarter, and then Try to Win It Then! At some point you have to start coaching a more up field, put in the air type of game, especially when the league is dedicated to doing it that way. Do we have the personnel right now to do it, especially on the OL, Maybe not, but you will have to start coaching it, at some point, to really find out if these guys can learn pass blocking or not.
exactly... you can insert Jeff Fisher where Capers name is .. because that was the complaints about Jeff when he took over the Oilers
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #64
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
we run alot of screen plays to DD. Seems like good coaching to me. Bottomline I will throw this stat at you one more time. We were 24th in the league in passing attempts, yet we were 7th in the league in sacks allowed....which is besides the fact that we probably run the most 3 step drops in the league.[/b]

If anyone should be on the chopping block it is casserly.
Sorry, but no. Have to watch what is going on a little more closely. Designed screens to DD have almost never been the call the last two years. In 2003 3 step drops were frequent, but not last year.

As for the stats, maybe a more in depth look would be usefull:

23rd completions per game
11th on completion %
16th on yards
14th on 1st downs

Seems the passing O wasn't quite as bad as made out.
Old 08-18-2005   #65
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Sorry, but no. Have to watch what is going on a little more closely. Designed screens to DD have almost never been the call the last two years. In 2003 3 step drops were frequent, but not last year.

As for the stats, maybe a more in depth look would be usefull:

23rd completions per game
11th on completion %
16th on yards
14th on 1st downs

Seems the passing O wasn't quite as bad as made out.
I am not attacking the passing offense as a whole, I am attacking the offensive line.
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #66
bills_phan
Rookie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
11-5 and it happens like this (Copied from a previous thread)

09.11 at Buffalo: W

New starting QB and the Texans remembering what happened against San Diego in the 2004 opener. I think the team takes this one seriously and we go 1-0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3960AD
2002- 4-12
2003- 5-11
2004- 7-9

2005- 11-5
Wins: Buffalo, Cincinnati, Tennessee, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Arizona, Tennessee, Jacksonville, San Francisco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
8-8

09.11 at Buffalo: W

I think we win with this one, despite having trouble with their defense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
Buffalo W Losman is too green to handle the defense
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
10 - 6

09.11 at Buffalo: Win - I think Losman will get rattled by the Texans defense. The Bills defense will be tough, but the Texans manage to get the W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightnow
My turn:

Buffalo W No problem here
Well, here's my first post, and all I've got to say is...WOW.

I guess I didn't realize how far the expansion Texans have come in the past couple of years. There seems to be a lot of confidence about the opener from the fans here, but I wouldn't look past the Bills and thier #2 defense (#1 in takeaways btw) if I were you, especially at HOME. Actually, on second thought, I hope the Texan players share your confidence and look ahead to Pittsburgh. If they do, I don't think I'm out of line in predicting an 0-2 start for the horns.

I'm not really here to talk smack, but geez...have some respect for the D. Espeically with your O-line and Carr's habit of holding the ball too long!

GO BILLS!!!
bills_phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #67
Austin_Texans_Fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills_phan

I guess I didn't realize how far the expansion Texans have come in the past couple of years. There seems to be a lot of confidence about the opener from the fans here, but I wouldn't look past the Bills and thier #2 defense (#1 in takeaways btw) if I were you, especially at HOME. Actually, on second thought, I hope the Texan players share your confidence and look ahead to Pittsburgh. If they do, I don't think I'm out of line in predicting an 0-2 start for the horns.

I'm not really here to talk smack, but geez...have some respect for the D. Espeically with your O-line and Carr's habit of holding the ball too long!

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks for the advice, but I think this town still has some payback to beat into the bills.

Not that we think about "THAT" game very much.
Austin_Texans_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2005   #68
bills_phan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Texans_Fan
Thanks for the advice, but I think this town still has some payback to beat into the bills.

Not that we think about "THAT" game very much.
We in Buffalo think of the Music City Forward Lateral as payback for The Comeback. I know that doesn't help you guys, but it was the same franchise. You guys got a fresh start with the Texans!
bills_phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #69
Austin_Texans_Fan
Rookie

Quote:
We in Buffalo think of the Music City Forward Lateral as payback for The Comeback. I know that doesn't help you guys, but it was the same franchise. You guys got a fresh start with the Texans!
Well at least we can both agree that the Titans suck.....

See yeah in a few weeks.
Austin_Texans_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #70
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

GO BILLS!!!
I'm predicting a win for the Texans based on that exact same sentiment. I don't believe the Texans will overlook the Bills even a little bit. Yes the Texans have come far in their 3 seasons and yes, the narrowly lost to the bills in 2002, then narrowly beat them in 2003. None of that matters here. The reason the Texans come to play has more to do with their growth and the way they finished 2004 against the Cleveland Browns. Against the skid marks we got owned and the team has had an entire offseason to dwell on that game.

I expect them to start the season very focused. At worst (for us) we're going to give the Bills a real challenge to start their year. At best (again, for us) we're going to win on the road to start our year.

Being a Texans fan I'm obliged to predict it our way.
Old 08-19-2005   #71
RalphJr
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
The reason the Texans come to play has more to do with their growth and the way they finished 2004 against the Cleveland Browns. Against the skid marks we got owned and the team has had an entire offseason to dwell on that game.
Bills are in a similar situation, after winning 6 straight and then BLOWING IT against Pitt's second string for a playoff berth. That is clearly a game that stuck in a lot of Buffalo players' craws. ESPECIALLY the Defense and Takeo.

I hope both teams are focused, cuz just as Buffalo had no business losing to the second stringers of Pitt, you guys had no business losing to one of the (if not THE) worst teams in the league. Both teams are better than that.

23 days and counting!
RalphJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #72
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

For all you 10-6 ers out there:

With 3 weeks to go, you still have plenty of time to change your predictions as you watch more and more preseason games.

Just letting you know you have that option.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #73
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Regarding the pass rush: What has improved since last year? We are relying on the same defensive linemen to take up blocks and create a push on the pocket. Our outside pass rush was non existent last year plain and simple. We only had 24 sacks total last year..... That is it. That is horrible.
That is the worst in the whole NFL!!!! How did we improve this situation? We hope a second year OLB who overachieved last year to suddenly put up double digit sacks?

Our offensive line: We have the same players from last year. We did not improve. You cant get lemonade out of a terd. Our offensive line is sorry. Period. It isnt good. You can have ten years of experience together and they would still suck. At no position except right tackle are we even above average.

We were seventh in the league in sacks allowed. We were 24th in the league in yards per rushing attempt. How does that sound good anyway you look at it?

Quarterback: David Carr has done amazing considering the slop that is in front of him. He has gotten lucky not to get injured thus far. You can only play russian roulette so many times before you will lose. He takes some ridiculous hits even though half of his passes are rollouts and three step drops to avoid him from getting nailed every other play.

Look at that sacks stat one more time. Seventh in the league in sacks. And I guarentee we were in the top 5 in the league in three step drops. Maybe this will sink in to you. We were 24th in the league in passing attempts in the league, yet were 7th in the league in sacks per game. Let me repeat that is horrible!

Andre Johnson: He put up most of his stats early in the season before teams figured out they could roll all their coverage over to him

Results: Last 4 games of the season he put up 34, 31, 46, and 13 yards recieving.

Will he put up stats like that all of next year? Of course not he is a legitimate star reciever in this league. But I am going to suggest that his stats will decline through no fault of his own, but the fault of the offensive line and no secondary reciever to take any pressure off of him. Gaffney's best plays last year came from reverses....

I know its hard to be anything but loyal to the players on this team for you. But our offensive line/defensive line play is well below average.

And I am a firm believer that the game is won and lost in the trenches, and we are bad on both sides of the trenches.

I also am very skeptical about greenwood living up to what sharper does. He could and I hope he has an amazing season, but in reality I dont expect him too. Plus you have a former defensive end in college moving to the other MLB spot, and we might have a problem stopping the run.

Just so you know, I am hoping I am proved wronged and we go 10-6 and make the playoffs. But why dont you check the lines in vegas and see where they expect us to finish.

The line is 7.5 Do what you want with it.
After another preseason game it still looks like everything I have said so far is still a problem.

But of course its only preseason, but I saw the same problems we had last year....
Old 08-21-2005   #74
Fritz5000
Rookie

You hit the nail on the head! We have very little to be exited about this year. No drastic changes in our O line, a mediocre receiving core, zero pass rush and a "D+" defensive secondary. I'm a huge Texans fan, but I don't see them winning more than 8 games this season.

I did see some positive things during the Oakland game from a few new guys like Morency and Swinton. Mathis could be a difference maker after a year or two as he gains some experience and confidence. My biggest complaint year after year is the conservative play calling. Until we start throwing the ball downfield, defenses will continue to play our predictable run game and our average points per game will be held to below 20. We wont win many games on fieldgoals alone.
Fritz5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #75
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

"You hit the nail on the head! We have very little to be exited about this year. No drastic changes in our O line, a mediocre receiving core, zero pass rush and a "D+" defensive secondary. I'm a huge Texans fan"

Hyprocrisy at its best.

BTW.. we have the second best receiving corp in our division.. and id say we rank in the top 10, or close to it, in the league. And we have one of the best defensive secondaries in the league.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #76
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz5000
You hit the nail on the head! We have very little to be exited about this year. No drastic changes in our O line, a mediocre receiving core, zero pass rush and a "D+" defensive secondary. I'm a huge Texans fan, but I don't see them winning more than 8 games this season.

I did see some positive things during the Oakland game from a few new guys like Morency and Swinton. Mathis could be a difference maker after a year or two as he gains some experience and confidence. My biggest complaint year after year is the conservative play calling. Until we start throwing the ball downfield, defenses will continue to play our predictable run game and our average points per game will be held to below 20. We wont win many games on fieldgoals alone.
I can answer your sarcastic remarks pretty easily actually.

I think our Oline is unacceptable and our team did nothing in the offseason to improve it. I have a huge problem with that.

Our pass rush was the worst in the league. I have a huge problem with that.

Games are won and lose at the line of scrimmage.

I am a realist. I try not to wear the homer glasses when cheering for my team. It also doesnt set myself up for a huge disappointment if the team does alot worse than I expect.

If you want me to throw out optimism here it is:

Domanick Davis was an incredible diamond in the rough and we are lucky to have him. I do not think he has injury problems because he is injury prone, I think he touches the ball WAY too many times a game for him to have a healthy career.

David Carr was worth the number 1 pick. And what he has done with that offensive line in front of him was amazing last year.

Andre Johnson is a beast. Nothing else needs to be said.

Dunta Robinson is a beast. Nothing else needs to be said.

We have a top 10 secondary this year.

Babin was worth trading up for. He has been impressive thus far.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Now on to your comments. Our secondary cannot be as effective as they can be without a pass rush. You cannot expect Deion Sanders in his prime to cover a reciever for 5 plus seconds muchless our secondary. We will get burned until we learn to get pressure on the QB.

Your assumption that we dont throw the ball enough downfield is wrong in my opinion. You cannot throw the ball downfield unless you have the protection. The only way our team has been able to throw the ball downfield has been in max protection sets where we only send out 2 wide recievers. The problem with throwing the ball downfield to andre in these situations is that he is being double teamed on every play. And although andre is amazing, I dont like his chances most of the time through double teams.

Ask the redskins two years ago what happens when you try to throw the ball downfield without the offensive line capabilities to do it. Your QB gets murdered.

Bottomline, I hope I am a complete ***** and all of you get to talk mess about how wrong I was as we make our first trip into the playoffs.

But my honest opinion is what it is.

My optimistic side says our offensive line meshes together and that was our only problem, and DD puts up 1500, David puts up a 3-1 TD-INT ratio. But if I look at it realistically, I really dont see that happening.
Old 08-22-2005   #77
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

We'll be 9 -7 but miss the play offs.

AFC Playoff teams
Patriots, San Diego, Steelers, Colts, Bengals and Jaguars.

If there's no winning season Capers will be gone.

I like Gary Kubiack the Broncos Offensive Co-ordinator, they usually have pretty good O- line with plenty 1000 yard rushers over the last few years.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #78
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
"You hit the nail on the head! We have very little to be exited about this year. No drastic changes in our O line, a mediocre receiving core, zero pass rush and a "D+" defensive secondary. I'm a huge Texans fan"

Hyprocrisy at its best.

BTW.. we have the second best receiving corp in our division.. and id say we rank in the top 10, or close to it, in the league. And we have one of the best defensive secondaries in the league.
Yep, another person mentions flaws in the Texans "jewel" and is labeled a hypocrite. I guess true fans aren't allowed to "call it as they see it", huh?

2nd best receiving core? Based on what? Yes, AJ is a top-five guy, but what comes after that? Gaffney made great strides last year, but he's not a legitimate #2 threat (yet) that we hoped when he was drafted 33rd overall. Beyond that, we have the journeyman Bradford who is as hot & cold a guy as there is. We have lots of 'potential' in the rest, but no proven players.

One of the best secondaries? Once again, we've got one stud (Robinson) and then it's a total crapshoot. P-Buc looked ABYSMAL on the Raiders first two series Saturday night (after looking sluggish in the opener). His "Ole" tackle on the 1st drive was especially impressive, let me tell you...

The offseason rebuilding of the Defense hasn't looked that fantastic as yet. This year's first pick nearly got knocked on his keister by a One-Handed shove from Gallery. Our non-Blitz pass rush is non-existant. The Texans have lots of "potential", but until we turn that talent into a consistent "W" against such powerhouses as Cleveland, it'll be hard for the league to take us seriously.
disaacks3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #79
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3
His "Ole" tackle on the 1st drive was especially impressive, let me tell you...
I was waiting for someone to mention that. The best part is the announcer was saying how Buchanan was a sure tackler.
Old 09-02-2005   #80
Crank_It_Up
Veteran

a combination of their opponents and the texans progress will yield a horrible start for the season... 3-9 after the first 12 games, however they will win at least 3 or 4 of their last 4 games, creating some hope for next year when they will make the playoffs.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read