Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2005   #41
TexansFanatic
Extremist
 
TexansFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,178
Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

******** 8-8 ********
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #42
Exascor
Hall of Fame
 
Exascor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Atascocita
Posts: 1,566
Rep Power: 33516 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by playoff year please
I may be too caught up in my work to catch what you mean by (the prediction?)
He predicted who would be the ones to post the 'Bad playcalling/Fire Palmer/Fire Capers' threads-not just that they would be posted.
Exascor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #43
playoff year please
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 42
Posts: 103
Rep Power: 9 playoff year please is ridin' the pine
Default

I take it you guys don't think 10-6 is reachable. I said at least, but that is bold. I just know we have been too close to winning many games for us to be 8-8 this year. I hope I am right, but it is a game that is played, so anything can happen.
playoff year please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #44
ComstockLode
Veteran
 
ComstockLode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 28
Posts: 311
Rep Power: 10 ComstockLode is ridin' the pine
Default

I may get blasted for it, but I am completely honest and am not trying to upset anyone.

I think we will go 6-10.

We still do not have a pass rush and we still have the same offensive line that got dominated by cleveland last game of the season. Andre Johnson is still our only reciever, and if DD has to touch the ball 25+ times a game we will not be winning games, and he will end up missing time again for injuries. All the hits David is taking could end up catching up with him but I hope not.

With an offensive line and a second wideout he is a top 10 QB in the league. But until he gets either or both of those things, he will not be able to step his game up to the next level in my opinion. Thank god we didnt get harrington, because what Carr has done with the talent around him is amazing. And harrington is struggling with alot more.

I think Andre Johnson will still be a man among boys, but his production will be down with double teams non stop all season.

I think babin and dunta will continue to improve, but overall our defense will be about average in the league without a pass rush, and having to face indy twice.

Coupled with the fact that we have no depth at any position on the field other than maybe linebacker and maybe HB, we will have injuries as all teams do, and I see us struggling to win any games on the road.
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #45
rmartin65
I'm Score
 
rmartin65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 24
Posts: 7,893
Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

hopefully mathis can get better and become a number 2 reciever
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #46
ATX
Hall of Fame
 
ATX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Austin
Age: 34
Posts: 9,563
Rep Power: 143 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComstockLode
I may get blasted for it, but I am completely honest and am not trying to upset anyone.

I think we will go 6-10.

We still do not have a pass rush and we still have the same offensive line that got dominated by cleveland last game of the season. Andre Johnson is still our only reciever, and if DD has to touch the ball 25+ times a game we will not be winning games, and he will end up missing time again for injuries. All the hits David is taking could end up catching up with him but I hope not.
How do you know we don't have a pass rush, it's the preseason? this is the second year of our main Oline being together and that should help alot. i doubt they'd stink it up like they did last year. and we're not so bad on run blocking. if davis is touching the ball 25+ times a game thats a good thing, not a bad thing. that means our offense is moving the ball. so you can predict the future and say that DD will get hurt again? thats just an opinion.
as for Carr, the most time he's ever missed was in the second year, where surprisingly they gave up the fewest sacks. carr was only sacked 19 times that year.


Quote:
With an offensive line and a second wideout he is a top 10 QB in the league. But until he gets either or both of those things, he will not be able to step his game up to the next level in my opinion. Thank god we didnt get harrington, because what Carr has done with the talent around him is amazing. And harrington is struggling with alot more.

I think Andre Johnson will still be a man among boys, but his production will be down with double teams non stop all season .
his production wasn't down his second season with the same receivers we have today basically. he got alot more double teams his second year than the first year and still improved. why would you think it would be down this year?

Quote:
I think babin and dunta will continue to improve, but overall our defense will be about average in the league without a pass rush, and having to face indy twice.
once again, our Dline is the healthiest its been in 2 years, plus we've added Mr. T. i think we should wait until the season starts before we start saying we won't have any pass rush this year. Babin in his second year at LOLB and Peek starting should help alot in the pass rush.

Quote:
Coupled with the fact that we have no depth at any position on the field other than maybe linebacker and maybe HB, we will have injuries as all teams do, and I see us struggling to win any games on the road.
We have enough depth at the Dline(TJ, Deloach), Faggins as our 3rd CB, Simmons can play all positions in the secondary, and Banks is more than adequate as our backup QB. the only weak side as far as depth i see is the Oline and TE spot. everywhere else we're either average or above average.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #47
Marcus
Hall of Fame
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Stafford, Texas
Age: 60
Posts: 7,338
Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by playoff year please
I take it you guys don't think 10-6 is reachable. I said at least, but that is bold. I just know we have been too close to winning many games for us to be 8-8 this year. I hope I am right, but it is a game that is played, so anything can happen.
9-7 might be reachable if . . . if they go through the season relatively injury free. 10-6 would be miraculous!

But they are not going to get through this season injury free. And although most you don't like to think about it, the injury situation effects the team's W-L record more than any amount of coaching or playcalling.

But I've been on this board since the very beginning . . . and I have seen first hand that the coaching and playcalling are ONLY reasons listed as to why this team loses.

My prediction regarding the 'Bad playcalling/Fire Palmer/Fire Capers' threads stands.
__________________
Grammar is the difference between knowing your sh!t and knowing you're sh!t.

Last edited by Marcus; 08-16-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2005   #48
disaacks3
Site Contributor
 
disaacks3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Spring, TX
Section: 116 - Row M
Age: 45
Posts: 10,028
Rep Power: 78404 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
9-7 might be reachable if . . . if they go through the season relatively injury free. 10-6 would be miraculous!
Yep, I'm expecting 8-8, hoping for 9-7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
But they are not going to get through this season injury free. And although most you don't like to think about it, the injury situation effects the team's W-L record more than any amount of coaching or playcalling.
It certainly CAN affect it more, but it doesn't HAVE to. Depth heals many IR issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
But I've been on this board since the very beginning . . . and I have seen first hand that the coaching and playcalling are ONLY reasons listed as to why this team loses.
Uh, that's a big NEGATORY on that one good buddy. Some of us viewed the 2003 campaign as 'miraculous', based on the # of big-time players on IR. That's why we were disappointed by the same team doing much worse with a healthier roster last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
My prediction regarding the 'Bad playcalling/Fire Palmer/Fire Capers' threads stands.
I'll agree with you there. The more 'unrealistic' the outlook, the more likely to call for someone's head (whether justified or not) that much earlier.
disaacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #49
ComstockLode
Veteran
 
ComstockLode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 28
Posts: 311
Rep Power: 10 ComstockLode is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
How do you know we don't have a pass rush, it's the preseason? this is the second year of our main Oline being together and that should help alot. i doubt they'd stink it up like they did last year. and we're not so bad on run blocking. if davis is touching the ball 25+ times a game thats a good thing, not a bad thing. that means our offense is moving the ball. so you can predict the future and say that DD will get hurt again? thats just an opinion.
as for Carr, the most time he's ever missed was in the second year, where surprisingly they gave up the fewest sacks. carr was only sacked 19 times that year.

his production wasn't down his second season with the same receivers we have today basically. he got alot more double teams his second year than the first year and still improved. why would you think it would be down this year?

once again, our Dline is the healthiest its been in 2 years, plus we've added Mr. T. i think we should wait until the season starts before we start saying we won't have any pass rush this year. Babin in his second year at LOLB and Peek starting should help alot in the pass rush.

We have enough depth at the Dline(TJ, Deloach), Faggins as our 3rd CB, Simmons can play all positions in the secondary, and Banks is more than adequate as our backup QB. the only weak side as far as depth i see is the Oline and TE spot. everywhere else we're either average or above average.
Regarding the pass rush: What has improved since last year? We are relying on the same defensive linemen to take up blocks and create a push on the pocket. Our outside pass rush was non existent last year plain and simple. We only had 24 sacks total last year..... That is it. That is horrible.
That is the worst in the whole NFL!!!! How did we improve this situation? We hope a second year OLB who overachieved last year to suddenly put up double digit sacks?

Our offensive line: We have the same players from last year. We did not improve. You cant get lemonade out of a terd. Our offensive line is sorry. Period. It isnt good. You can have ten years of experience together and they would still suck. At no position except right tackle are we even above average.

We were seventh in the league in sacks allowed. We were 24th in the league in yards per rushing attempt. How does that sound good anyway you look at it?

Quarterback: David Carr has done amazing considering the slop that is in front of him. He has gotten lucky not to get injured thus far. You can only play russian roulette so many times before you will lose. He takes some ridiculous hits even though half of his passes are rollouts and three step drops to avoid him from getting nailed every other play.

Look at that sacks stat one more time. Seventh in the league in sacks. And I guarentee we were in the top 5 in the league in three step drops. Maybe this will sink in to you. We were 24th in the league in passing attempts in the league, yet were 7th in the league in sacks per game. Let me repeat that is horrible!

Andre Johnson: He put up most of his stats early in the season before teams figured out they could roll all their coverage over to him

Results: Last 4 games of the season he put up 34, 31, 46, and 13 yards recieving.

Will he put up stats like that all of next year? Of course not he is a legitimate star reciever in this league. But I am going to suggest that his stats will decline through no fault of his own, but the fault of the offensive line and no secondary reciever to take any pressure off of him. Gaffney's best plays last year came from reverses....

I know its hard to be anything but loyal to the players on this team for you. But our offensive line/defensive line play is well below average.

And I am a firm believer that the game is won and lost in the trenches, and we are bad on both sides of the trenches.

I also am very skeptical about greenwood living up to what sharper does. He could and I hope he has an amazing season, but in reality I dont expect him too. Plus you have a former defensive end in college moving to the other MLB spot, and we might have a problem stopping the run.

Just so you know, I am hoping I am proved wronged and we go 10-6 and make the playoffs. But why dont you check the lines in vegas and see where they expect us to finish.

The line is 7.5 Do what you want with it.
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #50
ATX
Hall of Fame
 
ATX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Austin
Age: 34
Posts: 9,563
Rep Power: 143 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComstockLode
Regarding the pass rush: What has improved since last year? We are relying on the same defensive linemen to take up blocks and create a push on the pocket. Our outside pass rush was non existent last year plain and simple. We only had 24 sacks total last year..... That is it. That is horrible.
That is the worst in the whole NFL!!!! How did we improve this situation? We hope a second year OLB who overachieved last year to suddenly put up double digit sacks?

Our offensive line: We have the same players from last year. We did not improve. You cant get lemonade out of a terd. Our offensive line is sorry. Period. It isnt good. You can have ten years of experience together and they would still suck. At no position except right tackle are we even above average.

We were seventh in the league in sacks allowed. We were 24th in the league in yards per rushing attempt. How does that sound good anyway you look at it?

Quarterback: David Carr has done amazing considering the slop that is in front of him. He has gotten lucky not to get injured thus far. You can only play russian roulette so many times before you will lose. He takes some ridiculous hits even though half of his passes are rollouts and three step drops to avoid him from getting nailed every other play.

Look at that sacks stat one more time. Seventh in the league in sacks. And I guarentee we were in the top 5 in the league in three step drops. Maybe this will sink in to you. We were 24th in the league in passing attempts in the league, yet were 7th in the league in sacks per game. Let me repeat that is horrible!

Andre Johnson: He put up most of his stats early in the season before teams figured out they could roll all their coverage over to him

Results: Last 4 games of the season he put up 34, 31, 46, and 13 yards recieving.

Will he put up stats like that all of next year? Of course not he is a legitimate star reciever in this league. But I am going to suggest that his stats will decline through no fault of his own, but the fault of the offensive line and no secondary reciever to take any pressure off of him. Gaffney's best plays last year came from reverses....

I know its hard to be anything but loyal to the players on this team for you. But our offensive line/defensive line play is well below average.

And I am a firm believer that the game is won and lost in the trenches, and we are bad on both sides of the trenches.

I also am very skeptical about greenwood living up to what sharper does. He could and I hope he has an amazing season, but in reality I dont expect him too. Plus you have a former defensive end in college moving to the other MLB spot, and we might have a problem stopping the run.

Just so you know, I am hoping I am proved wronged and we go 10-6 and make the playoffs. But why dont you check the lines in vegas and see where they expect us to finish.

The line is 7.5 Do what you want with it.

Do you not believe that players improve as time goes by and that offensive and defensive units who play together get better. Look at our top 3 on Offense. Carr has improved every year. Johnson has improved every year. Davis has improved ever year. This applies to alot of the team as well. This is the NFL and if you don't improve, you get cut. as for defensive linemen, i guess you didn't read my whole post where i answered some questions. The Dline this year will be the healthiest since the first season. Payne and Walker are both fully healthy and ready to go. We got the top Lineman in the draft to replace anybody who goes down, its not our weakest spot. I wouldn't see why Babin wouldn't improve over last season and having Peek in there will give us some moe pass rush. As for Carr rolling out prior to this preseason, i really haven't noticed Carr doing that much in the past. have you been watching the ames or what. He usually does a 3-5 step drop, not a big rollout QB. So much pessimism so early in the preseason. we haven't even really got a glimpse of what the season will bring. i know every one says wait until the season starts, but some of the things you're saying are so far off. I just really don't know why you think the whole team is going to regress so much.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #51
ComstockLode
Veteran
 
ComstockLode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 28
Posts: 311
Rep Power: 10 ComstockLode is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
Do you not believe that players improve as time goes by and that offensive and defensive units who play together get better. Look at our top 3 on Offense. Carr has improved every year. Johnson has improved every year. Davis has improved ever year. This applies to alot of the team as well. This is the NFL and if you don't improve, you get cut. as for defensive linemen, i guess you didn't read my whole post where i answered some questions. The Dline this year will be the healthiest since the first season. Payne and Walker are both fully healthy and ready to go. We got the top Lineman in the draft to replace anybody who goes down, its not our weakest spot. I wouldn't see why Babin wouldn't improve over last season and having Peek in there will give us some moe pass rush. As for Carr rolling out prior to this preseason, i really haven't noticed Carr doing that much in the past. have you been watching the ames or what. He usually does a 3-5 step drop, not a big rollout QB. So much pessimism so early in the preseason. we haven't even really got a glimpse of what the season will bring. i know every one says wait until the season starts, but some of the things you're saying are so far off. I just really don't know why you think the whole team is going to regress so much.
I am pessismistic, because we didnt improve our two weakest areas over the offseason. We lost the two veteran leaders of our defense, and replaced them with unproven young players in an already young defense. I think the defense will be worse than last year, and i dont see how the offense will improve over last year.

Like I said, hopefully I am wrong. But I dont see any teams being over .500 with one of the top5 worst offensive lines in the league.

Edit: And yes I watched every game last season as well as being at four of them including the cleveland browns game. Its hard to have any optimism when the cleveland browns defensive line dominated us....

And the wonderful fans start screaming at Carr to throw the ball downfield and I wanted to shove my foot down their throats. I am sorry, but our offensive line is pathetic. PATHETIC.

Get that man some help so he isnt running for his life every *******ing down, or give him a chance to look at someone besides his primary and then immediately to the check down. The statement I hear over and over is that this offensive line just needs experience. No, what this offensive line needs is some new faces. I would prefer to have Carr healthy and around for the length of a long career. Not an injury plagued career.

Last edited by ComstockLode; 08-17-2005 at 01:13 AM.
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #52
ATX
Hall of Fame
 
ATX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Austin
Age: 34
Posts: 9,563
Rep Power: 143 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComstockLode
I am pessismistic, because we didnt improve our two weakest areas over the offseason. We lost the two veteran leaders of our defense, and replaced them with unproven young players in an already young defense. I think the defense will be worse than last year, and i dont see how the offense will improve over last year.

Like I said, hopefully I am wrong. But I dont see any teams being over .500 with one of the top5 worst offensive lines in the league.

Edit: And yes I watched every game last season as well as being at four of them including the cleveland browns game. Its hard to have any optimism when the cleveland browns defensive line dominated us....

And the wonderful fans start screaming at Carr to throw the ball downfield and I wanted to shove my foot down their throats. I am sorry, but our offensive line is pathetic. PATHETIC.

Get that man some help so he isnt running for his life every *******ing down, or give him a chance to look at someone besides his primary and then immediately to the check down. The statement I hear over and over is that this offensive line just needs experience. No, what this offensive line needs is some new faces. I would prefer to have Carr healthy and around for the length of a long career. Not an injury plagued career.
Our two weakest areas have been Oline and Dline. I think we improved our Dline alot. Last season is last season, so we have to forget about the cleveland game. that doesn't count any more, its over. In regards to our defense and the new acquistions, we just have to wait and see. but i do know one thing. Glenn and Sharper were on the downside of their career and we needed improvement. both were too slow for our defense to work, so we added faster players. I'm excited about that. i'll just wait to the season to start before i judge our Defense. As for the Offense, barring major injuries, I just don't see why we wouldn't improve if we bring back 10-11 starters from last year. we can't just go out and bring in Free Agents and expect our team to work. we have to develop them into Texans. we're almost there, and i see a bright future.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #53
TexHorns
Veteran
 
TexHorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: austin
Age: 36
Posts: 107
Rep Power: 10 TexHorns is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertex
I would like to hear everyones opinion. I will post mine when I have time.
Super Bowl here we come. I cant wait, maybe this year Pam Anderson will do the half-time show.





She could jump up and down a few times then show her left.............................................. .............forget it.
TexHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #54
TexHorns
Veteran
 
TexHorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: austin
Age: 36
Posts: 107
Rep Power: 10 TexHorns is ridin' the pine
Default

Realistically I say 10-6 is my high and 8-8 low
TexHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #55
Bubbajwp
All Flopper
 
Bubbajwp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the Warehouse
Age: 26
Posts: 3,198
Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

The only way the Texans win 10 games is if peyton gets hurt
Quote:
We still do not have a pass rush
I disagree i think that Peek and TJ will help our pass rush alot
Quote:
Andre Johnson is still our only reciever, and if DD has to touch the ball 25+ times a game we will not be winning games, and he will end up missing time again for injuries. All the hits David is taking could end up catching up with him but I hope not.
I agree all the way.
6-10 at worst 10-6 at best
most likely 8-8
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #56
Marcus
Hall of Fame
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Stafford, Texas
Age: 60
Posts: 7,338
Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

I think ComstockLoad has made some valid points. And I can't fault him for being pessimistic. I know it busts some peoples bubbles, but he is right when he says the battles are won in the trenches.

The issue that I have with these 10-6 predictions, is that they are based on the 1st-team talent level. I hear this comment all the time. "We have the talent to go to the playoffs, so if they don't, then the coaches are not coaching them right." Or the old reliable, "The playcalling sucks!"

A playoff caliber team in today's NFL has two things. They have both quality talent, and quality depth.. To have quality depth, a team has to meet 3 conditions.

1) Quarterback. You need a reserve quarterback that is capable of leading the team downfield, and putting points on the board.

2) Running back. You need a reserve running back that is capable of rushing for at least 1000 yards a season if he was playing full time.

3) Offensive lineman. You need an reserve offensive lineman that is capable of coming in and filling any position on the line, and be good enough so that defenses don't key on it as a weakness. In other words, good enough to not get your quarterback killed. He can't be some deer-in-the-headlights rookie, or some slug journeyman castoff.

The other positions are important also, but it's possible to 'cheat' your way in anyway if you lose a key player, but those 3 are must haves for a 16-game grind.

Now, I understand that those 3 conditions are difficult given today's salary cap NFL. Those types of reserves cost money. Some teams are able to do it. But these are teams that have been around a lot longer than the Texans.

But the question is . . . for this season, does this team have the quality depth needed to get to the playoffs?

If you take the glasses off, the answer should be pretty easy.
__________________
Grammar is the difference between knowing your sh!t and knowing you're sh!t.

Last edited by Marcus; 08-17-2005 at 04:25 PM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #57
Rightnow
Veteran
 
Rightnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 40
Posts: 248
Rep Power: 10 Rightnow is a fan favorite
Default

My turn:

Buffalo W No problem here
Pittsburgh L Sorry, but no
Cincinnati L Texans forums melt down
Tennessee W They haven’t gotten better
Seattle L Not sure about this game, maybe a win
Indy L We’ve gotten better, but they are still better than our improved team
Cleveland W Revenge
Jacksonville L They are going to be the real rival in the division for years
Indy L A blow out
Kansas City L Payback for last year
St Louis L They are making a playoff run
Baltimore L They score with their defense as Carr is knocked out of the game thanks to the O-line
Tennessee W Sweep
Arizona W Tough, tough game but we do it
Jacksonville W They won’t sweep us
San Francisco W They have given up all hope

7-9 or 8-8 depending on Seattle

Jacksonville gets a wildcard spot, Indy doesn’t make it to the super bowl again, Palmer stays on and a scapegoat is fired instead, Carr misses some game time due to O-line, DD is too much of the offense again, AJ doesn’t make the Pro Bowl as he is doubled every single play and his stats suffer, some of the losses are directly related to a bad O-line

Until Manning retires or misses a season from injuries we will never win this division. We will always be looking for a wildcard. That means our main rival in the future will be Jacksonville as Tennessee has years of rebuilding to do after McNair retires.
Rightnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #58
Oilers/Texans
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 201
Rep Power: 10 Oilers/Texans is ridin' the pine
Default

I hope the last game the Texans play this season is in Detroit.
Oilers/Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #59
ComstockLode
Veteran
 
ComstockLode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 28
Posts: 311
Rep Power: 10 ComstockLode is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I think ComstockLoad has made some valid points. And I can't fault him for being pessimistic. I know it busts some peoples bubbles, but he is right when he says the battles are won in the trenches.

The issue that I have with these 10-6 predictions, is that they are based on the 1st-team talent level. I hear this comment all the time. "We have the talent to go to the playoffs, so if they don't, then the coaches are not coaching them right." Or the old reliable, "The playcalling sucks!"

A playoff caliber team in today's NFL has two things. They have both quality talent, and quality depth.. To have quality depth, a team has to meet 3 conditions.

1) Quarterback. You need a reserve quarterback that is capable of leading the team downfield, and putting points on the board.

2) Running back. You need a reserve running back that is capable of rushing for at least 1000 yards a season if he was playing full time.

3) Offensive lineman. You need an reserve offensive lineman that is capable of coming in and filling any position on the line, and be good enough so that defenses don't key on it as a weakness. In other words, good enough to not get your quarterback killed. He can't be some deer-in-the-headlights rookie, or some slug journeyman castoff.

The other positions are important also, but it's possible to 'cheat' your way in anyway if you lose a key player, but those 3 are must haves for a 16-game grind.

Now, I understand that those 3 conditions are difficult given today's salary cap NFL. Those types of reserves cost money. Some teams are able to do it. But these are teams that have been around a lot longer than the Texans.

But the question is . . . for this season, does this team have the quality depth needed to get to the playoffs?

If you take the glasses off, the answer should be pretty easy.

In so many words I agree with everything you pointed out.

Our depth scares me. Someone on this team that is very important will get hurt for a substantial amount of time. This happens to every team every year. Just hope it isnt Carr or Johnson, or you can really expect a great season.

I know alot of people hate palmer, but the playcalling isnt so much the problem, it is the personnel. He has tried to limit the sacks by alot of 3 and 5 step drops. The opposing defenses get alot of pressure, and we run alot of screen plays to DD. Seems like good coaching to me. Bottomline I will throw this stat at you one more time. We were 24th in the league in passing attempts, yet we were 7th in the league in sacks allowed....which is besides the fact that we probably run the most 3 step drops in the league.

If anyone should be on the chopping block it is casserly.
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005   #60
ATX
Hall of Fame
 
ATX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Austin
Age: 34
Posts: 9,563
Rep Power: 143 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
A playoff caliber team in today's NFL has two things. They have both quality talent, and quality depth.. To have quality depth, a team has to meet 3 conditions.

1) Quarterback. You need a reserve quarterback that is capable of leading the team downfield, and putting points on the board.

2) Running back. You need a reserve running back that is capable of rushing for at least 1000 yards a season if he was playing full time.

3) Offensive lineman. You need an reserve offensive lineman that is capable of coming in and filling any position on the line, and be good enough so that defenses don't key on it as a weakness. In other words, good enough to not get your quarterback killed. He can't be some deer-in-the-headlights rookie, or some slug journeyman castoff.
1. Tony Banks isn't a bad backup for QB. Who does New England, Philly, Indy, and Atlanta have for backups? are they any better than Banks?
2. If DD were to go down, I think Wells or Hollings, or a combination could step up and give 1,000 yards, but 1,000 yards isn't all that much by today's NFL standards. If you took Wells' numbers 82 carries for 299 yards and gave him 302 like DD had, he would have 1087 yards, averaging 3.6 yards to DD's 3.9 yards per carry.
3. now this is the weakness of the team as it always has been. guess we'll have to wait and see how they do.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger