Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-15-2005   #101
Str8tupg42k1
Veteran

On that onside kick by Kris Brown did you see when he went back to the sidelines Jason Bell was just ripping him I know he said "what was that, the was horrible" and he kept on talking. And then when Kris left you could see the coaches and Jason crack up and laugh. That was funny.
Str8tupg42k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005   #102
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

The one thing I would like to see out of our next preseason game is a few more "pocket" passes from Carr. I like the rollouts because they offer easy protection for Carr, but I'd like to see if our OL can protect Carr in the pocket and also if Carr looks comfortable in the pocket.
Old 08-15-2005   #103
donbmt
Veteran

So, how long will it be before someone starts a 'Fire Palmer' thread, after the Raiders game?
Old 08-15-2005   #104
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
But injuries are starting to put us in a deep hole once again and we have little if any depth in certain areas.
Ibar what injuries are you talking about?

Back down from the ledge the sky is not really falling.
Old 08-15-2005   #105
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

And the award for Best Overly Dramatic Performance for a preseason game goes to Ibar_Harry.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005   #106
TexansJunkE
Veteran

At last! We threw the ball down field and got a pass interference call. I believe that is the first one we got in 2 seasons? I know enough of that. I thought our first teams played well, but I'm not gonna read too much into anything. I thought P-buc got lost, but that is ok. This is the reason we play preseason games, so that the coaches can correct or answer any problems that the players might have. I have no reason to believe that Hoke can't fix that. Of course I would have like to see Carr play more, but like in Chicago dam&^% if you do dam&^% if you don't. I really am optimistic this year!
TexansJunkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005   #107
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

I was at the SOAD concert on Sat night so missed the game :/

I am Hoping to find someone who will be gracious enough to loan or burn me a copy of the game so I can watch it myself. It is pre-season so i'm not that overly concerened.

On to the Game : From the sounds of all the commentary and highlights - the Texans played much like I saw at practice last week - Sloppy

I'm hoping the injuries were not too bad esp Weigert - that one could really hurt in the long run if he's out several weeks. I heard about J. Wells maybe having a torn tendon in his finger too that didnt sound good along with BJ's separated shoulder.

The Good : I like what I heard about the first team's Offensive drive, the O-line play being better, good blocking and time to throw [not counting the goaline enigma]. That certainly seems a lot more promising than before. Riley was doing well at practice so this may be the start of somethign good at LT. I liked hearing that most of the rookies all got good minutes.

The Tossup - Backup QB's - I still have hope for Ragone and think from the sounds of things he was having some jitters and started off with a few bad series and got into a rhythm later. IMO he looked really decent in practice this week against the Denver D whereas Banks looked like a disaster. I think he will see more minutes thru Pre-season and we will get a much better idea/look at him as for backup potential then. Symons - Sorry to hear about the injury to him, but honestly as I said last week after practice - I thought he would be cut before the season anyway as he looked really bad in practice and it seems the results from the game werent any better.

The Bad : The only thought I have on this is the comments about the sloppy Play of the team - That didnt change from practice and I was hoping to hear better.
Old 08-15-2005   #108
buddyroe
Rookie

This 1st preseason game gave me really no reason
to change my prediction of a 13-3 season.
I was pleased with what our starters did in the 2
series that they played (though Carr only played 1).
Against a team who's offense and defense ranked in
the top five last year we outgained them 118 yards
to 13 yards for them.I like rolling Carr out,it keeps the
defense from just pinning back their ears and makes
them play the running lanes on passing downs.
Somethings didn't work so well, like using d-lineman
as fullbacks.I never have liked that.But it's better
that they get that out of their heads now than to decide
during the season to try it.If the boat don't float it's
better to find out before your in the middle of the
ocean.
As expected we didn't see too much of the starters
as this game and the next game against Oakland will
be more about evaluation of players than of winning.
I expect to see the starters play most of three
quarters on the 27th against Dallas.That will be our 1st
real opportunity to see how well they execute when
they have to stay on the field and how well they
make adjustments at halftime.
buddyroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005   #109
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Typical Texans game...

All in all, it was a typical Texans game with inconsistency on both sides of the ball.

On offense, much like last year, the receivers were blanketed. Hopefully there will be a cure for the anemic passing game this year. Aside from the one TD pass from Banks, the passing game was abysmal. They did run the ball really well with the first and second string units.

Defensively, there was good pressure upfield from the line. The secondary looked lost in the zone coverages and left receivers wide open on many occasions. (How many times did we see a Texan's receiver wide open?) Way too many missed tackles, especially on the long TD to Devoe which was embarrassing at best. Nice run defense for the most part. Travis Johnson made some nice plays, but took too many plays off. Hopefully the good plays will make up for this in the regular season.

As always, keeping it close was more important to the coaching staff than winning the game. Winning begets winning, and this coaching staff has yet to instill this mentality into the team.

The sky isn't falling yet, but I just don't see any improvement comparing this game to last year's first pre-season game.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005   #110
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 266978 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
Travis Johnson made some nice plays, but took too many plays off. Hopefully the good plays will make up for this in the regular season.
Other than reciting something from a draft notebook, what did you see specifically that made you think TJ took a play much less too many off?
Old 08-15-2005   #111
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Other than reciting something from a draft notebook, what did you see specifically that made you think TJ took a play much less too many off?
There were several, mostly when he was getting doubled, that he kind of stood up and didn't make a lot of effort to get low and make a push. More than likely he was tired (he played a lot of downs). He did get that rep in college. I'm guessing that it is mostly due to the fact that he is very talented and people expect him to get upfield every play. Either way, it was just an observation after watching him closely on 20 or so plays.
Old 08-15-2005   #112
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 266978 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There were several, mostly when he was getting doubled, that he kind of stood up and didn't make a lot of effort to get low and make a push. More than likely he was tired (he played a lot of downs). He did get that rep in college. I'm guessing that it is mostly due to the fact that he is very talented and people expect him to get upfield every play. Either way, it was just an observation after watching him closely on 20 or so plays.
Well I didn't see that at all. IMO he had a very high effort but neither DLmen nor the OLmen have the same assignments nor try the same things every play so he got mixed results. As with all rookies he has some technique issues as well. Basically I saw a high motor rookie with a rookie's rawness, not a refined player being a slacker.
Old 08-15-2005   #113
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well I didn't see that at all. IMO he had a very high effort but neither DLmen nor the OLmen have the same assignments nor try the same things every play so he got mixed results. As with all rookies he has some technique issues as well. Basically I saw a high motor rookie with a rookie's rawness, not a refined player being a slacker.
His motor was revving on several plays. He had one in the 4th quarter where he split a double-team and was on the QB with suddenness. But he also had several, on pass plays, where it seemed that the effort was lacking.
Old 08-15-2005   #114
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
His motor was revving on several plays. He had one in the 4th quarter where he split a double-team and was on the QB with suddenness. But he also had several, on pass plays, where it seemed that the effort was lacking.
He also said after the game that he was gassed and had to come out for a breather. Might just be playing his way in to NFL type of game condition.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #115
outofhnd
All Pro

Can you blame him?
I was immensly impressed because he was pushing NFL caliber lineman into the backfield. One of my concerns was he wouldnt be able to disrupt things as dramatically as he did in college that the penetration shown on film was not against top tier talent.

I only got to see the first half then my girlfriend forced me to go out. Id also like to say kudos to NFL networks break down and movement between games. We looked great and i didnt read anything into the 1 yd plunges, if we wanted to score, we couldve easily pitched it and let DD just out run the D to the corner. All in all i thought the progression was excellent for everyone cept weigart. Id really like to see Weary possibly step up and really fill in well for zach while he is out. It makes me wonderif mckinney could move to RG, and wasington to C where would wiegart play?
Old 08-16-2005   #116
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

what i liked:

first team offense and defense
reggie swinton and the rest of the special teams

what i disliked:

a. domanick davis not able to punch in a TD from a yard away with 3 or 4 opportunities.
b. the fact that carr only got in 2 passes.
Old 08-16-2005   #117
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

i wouldn't read too much into DD not being able to punch it in from less than 2 yards away 4 times. we had robaire in playing fullback and while he hit whoever he hit hard, it wasn't always the right guy to hit. i think having norris in there wold have been a different story, but this was just an experiment. i mean we ran it 3 times to the right in the same spot.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #118
Str8tupg42k1
Veteran

i have a question, all of the preseason games i saw most of the teams had their starters in for at least one quarter and a couple of drives, why is it that the Texans only use them for like one drive because of injuries but why do the other teams leave them in.
Str8tupg42k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #119
Lucky

Rep Power: 117883 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8tupg42k1
...why is it that the Texans only use them for like one drive because of injuries but why do the other teams leave them in.
You have to remember that the Texans starters got a lot of work in last week against the Broncos 1st team defense. One drive in the lights was all they needed, considering that it was more or less a "successful" drive. Other teams don't necessarily get the opportunity to work against an opponent in practice prior to the preseason game.
Old 08-16-2005   #120
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 70964 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dont try and make it sound like he is spewing notes from an online mockster.

TJ took off 2 plays that I specifically watched him. And maybe a couple that I didnt see.

But make no mistake, he took off a few.

Ball is snaped, he is stood up, and going backwards real slow, and you can tell that there is no fight going on.

So save me the "reciting something from a draft notebook"
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read