Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-11-2004   #1
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Football Pet Peeves

Obviously we all love football here, but there are some things that are a little annoying.

#1 When radio announcers have to call every line that the ball carrier crosses. Someone breaks loose, and all of a sudden, "hes at the thirty, thirty five, forty, forty five, fifty, forty five, forty, thirty five..." Ok, we get the point, he's running. Some announcers dont feel a 7 yard TD run is long anough so they have to say "he's inside the five, four, three, two, one, Touchdown!!"

#2 The use of the word "healthy". Just because someone is missing a game with a sprained ankle doesn't mean he is unhealthy, IMO. The broadcasters will tell you the some team will be better when so and so is back healthy. Or they were lucky to stay healthy this year. When I think of someone who is unhealthy, I think of a raging alcoholic, drug user, or maybe someone with a fatal disease. I wish they would think of another word to use.

As you can tell I'm getting restless waiting for the season to start.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004   #2
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

1... when the announcers dont know the starting players' names

2... players running 1/2 way down the field to celebrate after making a routine tackle (or something similar)
Old 07-11-2004   #3
TexanNut
Veteran

1. The price of beer and peanuts at the football game.

2. That the cheerleaders don't come visit me during the game.

Besides that, I love everything about football.......and actually, #2 isn't too bad because with my binoculars, I can pretend that they are that close to me.
TexanNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004   #4
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
1... when the announcers dont know the starting players' names

2... players running 1/2 way down the field to celebrate after making a routine tackle (or something similar)

Yea I forgot about #2. That one gets under the skin.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004   #5
gwallaia

Rep Power: 88694 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Announcers who use a individual player to describe types of players,
ie: "You have your John Elways and your Brett Farves."

2. The over-used term "class act". This term is only used in sports.
ie: "He's a class act." or "Coach Whistle Britches is a class act."

3. When announcers say, "There's no love loss between these two teams." What does that mean?
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #6
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

When the cops tell me to get out of the box after putting the jerseys away
Old 07-12-2004   #7
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

When the cheerleaders find the videocamera i planted in their locker room.....ooooh wait...they havent found it yet. Nevermind...forget what I said.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-12-2004   #8
hot4SteveMcNair
Rookie

Artificial turf! I hate artificial turf.

I also hate when there is a baseball diamond in the middle of some of the fields during the first part of the season. Drives me crazy.
hot4SteveMcNair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #9
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

When they leave the roof open when it's hot enough to fry an egg on my seat, and close it for "threat of rain." Give me a little rain ANYDAY!! Keep folks in their seats, shut the dang roof when it's 100 degrees outside!!

Meatball or girl fans sitting in the Bullpen!!

When DC or Billy Miller jumps into the wrong end of the Bullpen!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #10
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

When they use the term "He really creamed him." It paints the wrong picture in my head.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #11
dmt217
Veteran

Penalties/fines for taunting/celebrating (yeah, I think it's entertaining)...and artificial turf
dmt217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #12
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

John Madden.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

You don't like John Madden?

Now Dan Dierdorf irritated the hell out of me. That guy did nothing but complain for 3 hours when he was on MNF.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

When commentators just talk to talk. They don't have anything insightful to say about the game. Example. "The defense filled all the gaps and the runner had nowhere to go." Oh really? That's very interesting.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #15
Panther5407
All Pro

Annoucers that laugh at themselfs all the time. If they are that funny why isn't anyone else laughing?
Old 07-12-2004   #16
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

you know i hate the annoucers...madden...al michaels... deon sanders...i hate them all...because they take your mind away from the game...and they think they know everything about what's going down there...plus if the coach does something they didn't agree with and it goes bad...it's because they didn't do what the annoucer said they should do

i hate stupid penalties...man just let the guys play

and i gotta agree with most of ya'll on the cheerleaders...there isn't enough of them...they are wearing entirely too much clothing...and they are never around when i need them...haha

and i also hate the stupid celebrations at the end of half the plays
Old 07-13-2004   #17
Frailty
Rookie

When players skip out of training because aren't making ANOTHER million dollars

FINES FOR HITTING A PLAYER TOO HARD it seems, Kennoy Kennedy, some of those calls were bs. Why do these players get paid big money? because its a violent sport, let them be violent, they have been taught technique if they don't use it their fault or entertainment.

When they fine guys for celebrating.

Long waits on challenges when it's terribly obvious

When they review the call and still get it wrong! (Ravens)

When teams go for onside kick when they are losing by 30 in 2nd half.

When running backs run out of bounds in 1st half, hit somebody come on!

why streakers are 95% guys ?

when announcers talk about when they were coaching or playing and they werent even good.

Thats about it
Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004   #18
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Yeah the offseason is the worst. But in particular the dead periods like now when no NFL news whatsoever goes on.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Well some of us DON'T HAVE AN OFFSEASON!!!!!!

That's right, I'm "on" year round. This is nothing but a long bye week.

My worst gripe I think is the stupid rehearsed celebrations. Everything from the "Touchdown, whip out a Sharpie and sign the football" to the stupid little "kneel and pretend your digging someones grave after you tackle them"

My advice to any and all NFL players who wish to not look like extreme *****s while being on the field is to think about your celebration. If you had to think about it or practice it before you did it then it wasn't genuine and it didn't make you look better or the crowd more interested. It was just stupid. Try again.
Old 07-13-2004   #20
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131162 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

the offseason

commercial breaks

food and drink prices

the term "shutdown corner" wich is applied to everyother cornerback in the nfl and draft.

penalties for hitting someone to hard

cheesey halftime stories about this one time when elway saved his pet rock from drowning.

jeff garcia. dude get out of the closet already.

kickers who celebrate extra points.

kicker's face mask.

strahan's gap

pre game shows-half time shows-post game shows that make mention of the cowboys doing anything but loseing.

AL DAVIS/BUD ADAMS/DAN SNYDER/JERRY JONES

a crowd wave that wont start

tiny stadium seats...(and no im not overweight...im not even big boned)

blacked out games (ok so im thinking back to the oilers)

the fact that i watch an entire broadcast with aikman doing a game waiting for him to have a spontaneous concusion ,but it never happens...

madden dosent say "boom" nearly as often as he used to.

mic'ed up players you dont actually get to hear because everyother word is bleeped out.

the probowl

injuries

ridiculous trade rumors involving bryant and j. wells

mel kiper

mel kiper's hair

mel kiper's term "angular"

having to give back the governor's cup even though dallas has never won a game against the texans in regular season

cambels chunky soup

nicknames like "tuna" wich evoke an overwhelming stench everytime i see bill parcells

ohhh, and the fact that over the course of his career with the texans, matt freakin stevens almost single handedly lost us 3+ games

someone in here will defend matt stevens.

aside from that i think im good to go.

Last edited by powda; 07-13-2004 at 07:48 PM.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read