Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2005   #301
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the loss is anything to worry about. If Brown catches that pick in the endzone or DD scores (or we don't run the same play 2 different directions 4 times in a row), we win. Besides that, the first stringers did very well on both sides of the ball. We're still lacking somewhat in depth, except at the RB position, and there's too many 2nd and 3rd stringers getting penalized, but I liked what I saw tonight in a general sense.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005   #302
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Tonight's game was very encouraging. Our 1st team defense looks much improved and the 1st team offense was very efficient minus the series at the goal line.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005   #303
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Heat
boo boo boo I waited all summer for that,this team will be lucky to go 8-8
I don't think this guy understands the preseason. It is not about winning. It is about putting your guys in situations, and seeing how the react and ironing out the kinks, making sure everyone has their assignments down and assessing your talent.

Things that matter:
First team defense looked great.
First team offense move the ball easily on their first two drives.
No major injuries.

One first half goal line stand kept the Texans from winning this game. But either way win or lose the score isn't that important.

I liked what I saw. I am now even more hopeful for this season than I was before the game.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005   #304
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I know it's the first game of preseason, but either try something else on the goaline or just run one play and kick a field goal. Everyone in the stadium new DD would take a hand off and head for the right or left end of the O'line for the last 3 plays in a row. It does no good to test your players under the serious disadvantage of letting the other team know what you're going to call BEFORE YOU DO. I assume, and hope, that that will not continue into the regular season. That's my only real complaint about the whole game.
Old 08-13-2005   #305
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Hindsight's 20/20. If we'd bootlegged it and Carr had thrown an interception/fumbled/been sacked, we'd have folks asking why we didn't just keep pounding since we were inside the 1 yard line. Give the Broncos props for shutting us down 4 times in a row, but our coaches went with the call that gave us the best chance of a TD.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005   #306
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
I know it's the first game of preseason, but either try something else on the goaline or just run one play and kick a field goal. Everyone in the stadium new DD would take a hand off and head for the right or left end of the O'line for the last 3 plays in a row. It does no good to test your players under the serious disadvantage of letting the other team know what you're going to call BEFORE YOU DO. I assume, and hope, that that will not continue into the regular season. That's my only real complaint about the whole game.
Why?? It's a simple play that nearly everbody in teh NFL runs, and knows that we run, why show the rest of teh teams something new you've been working on when the game means absolutly nothing. And also DD hsould be able to score on that play atleast one out of three attempts; just gives Capers something more to yell about on Monday and it's extra motivation for the coaches and players to work harder.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005   #307
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the whole point of preseason is to test your players and not show much of your gameday offense. looked to me like they were taking a look at r. smith in goaline situations. its the perfect time to run it up the gut 4 times in a row and see how your guys handle it.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2005   #308
Dime
Hall of Fame

The players I was happy with thier play that were not on the first team.

Wells - Sorry, but he looked good.
Hollings - Did good tonight not including the 4x 1 yard line runs.
Ragone - He didnt get to do to much because of blocked passes and such. Placed a good TD pass though.
Shantee Orr - Looking damn good and had play maker ability during that game.

The players I wasnt really happy with the play

Tony Banks - One good TD pass, the rest was not where he should be.
BJ Symons - Did he even connect a pass? The balls were all over the place.
Morecy - Did decent, but not good. Needs to go down the field more instead of dancing so much.
2nd Team O-line - PROTECT THE QB!!!
2nd Team D - Was it just me or did they seem unorganized?
Old 08-13-2005   #309
HJam72
Hall of Fame

I'm not necessarilly calling for a bootleg. That play would have been fine for a couple of tries, but 4 times in a row? Bootleg, option, pass, something. Just trying a sweep with DD would have made me happy. I would have tried it twice myself, or right up the middle, but it's just too predictable to use it that much.

If fact, even a QB sneak up the middle would have been something different, but no use risking Carr's health.
Old 08-13-2005   #310
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hindsight is always 20/20. What if they ran a sweep and got stuffed for a 5 yd loss? Or ran a bootleg and John Lynch takes Carr's head off? Who knows? Its just preseason...
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005   #311
HJam72
Hall of Fame

I thought Morrencey did really well, actually, but he did dance a little too much. The one fumble was kind of pathetic too, the way it happened. Maybe it won't be a habit.
Old 08-13-2005   #312
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04
Hindsight is always 20/20. What if they ran a sweep and got stuffed for a 5 yd loss? Or ran a bootleg and John Lynch takes Carr's head off? Who knows? Its just preseason...
If they ran a sweep and lost 5 yds., I'd still be glad they tried it. I mean, a defense is not supposed to be 100% sure of what play you're going to run. But you're right about protecting Carr.
Old 08-13-2005   #313
blockhead83
All Pro

Carr looked pretty good tonight, and so did the 1st team o-line. We seemed to be getting the ball off quickly which is going to be good for Carr's health in the long run. DD, Wells, and Hollings were all pretty impressive.

Our first team Defense did a solid job. We were getting pressure on the QB, but they were doing a nice job getting rid of the ball. Our DLine looked great. CC Brown was impressive for a 6th round pick, he was in on alot of plays. T. Johnson got great penetration and showed his mean style of play. I really like him. Peek should've given the naysayers something to think about tonight. He kept containment against the run, made tackles, was good in coverage, and appeared to be making the smart plays.

Morency had some good and bad moments. He was running behind our 3rd and 4th stringers for blockers, so I'm cutting him some slack. One thing I noticed is his amazing quickness and shifty running. I think he may have the edge on DD in terms of pure quickness. On the other hand, he doesn't find the holes quickly enough or sometimes misses them completely. He also tries too hard to make cutbacks. If he can learn to pick the hole and move upfield I think he makes a good case for being our #2 at some point this season.
Old 08-13-2005   #314
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
boo boo boo I waited all summer for that,this team will be lucky to go 8-8
90% of the game was played by 2nd and 3rd stringers, this isn't the end of the world. Our first team offense and defense looked good to me, except for the 4 failed attempts at the goal line. From what I saw Travis Johnson looked good and Morency looks fast he just needs to stop stopping and trying to go east to west so much. Some people have said Morency and Davis are similar in size and style but I didn't see much similarity tonight, maybe it's just me though. Morency seems quicker to me, but like I said maybe it's just me.
Old 08-13-2005   #315
blockhead83
All Pro

I think Caper's mentality is that he wants a tough, hard nose football team. He wants the option of running it up the gut four times within the 1 yard line, knowing that they are expecting it, and being able to simply push the other team off the line and make it happen anyways because we can. We weren't able to dominate the Broncos physically in that situation tonight, but if I was calling the shots I probably would've gone with the same approach.
Old 08-13-2005   #316
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad they handed it off to DD for times in a row. Why? Because it is preseason. I could give a rip about preseason. I wanted to see if DD could ram it down their throat despite the fact that Denver knew what was coming.

Sure, they didn't do it. And I'm sure that Capers is not going to let them hear the end of it this week. I'll bet they'll be lined up on the goal line in practice this week until they're sick of it.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005   #317
Texas_Heat
Veteran

The 1st teams looked good, but there is no reason for this teams backups to look so bad.
As long as they have no major injuries they may go 9-7 but more likely 8-8.

Itís time for Dom Capers to show he can take this team to the next level ,and it he canít itís time for him to go.
Greatest Metal Bands: #1 VENOM # 2 SLAYER.
Texas_Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005   #318
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought Morrencey did really well, actually, but he did dance a little too much. The one fumble was kind of pathetic too, the way it happened. Maybe it won't be a habit.
Yeah well, it became a habit with DD in his rookie year. What makes Morency so special? He'll eventually be a good one . . . but right now, he's too much of an impatient east/west runner that's a fumble waiting to happen.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005   #319
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

everyone stop questioning the play calling in the first preseason game of the year. unless your on the coaching staff you cant know why they were running a particular play in a particular situation. its a preseason game they are trying to put players in situations and see how they perform. while at the same time trying not to show buffalo any more of our playbook than necessary. now buffalo doesnt know what the **** we will do in a first and goal from the one because we havent shown them anything.

good job palmer!!!!
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005   #320
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

People need to stop fixating pn the goal line stand and the final score. Its preseason, starters barely played, got some good reps in, and best of all - no one lost. Thats right the score may not have had the Texans, but no one got seriously hurt (as of yet - still watching the game). So they went for a goal line dive 4 times, big deal. The play works, everyone runs it. If properly executed, it will result in a score. Thats probably why it was run 4 times, it wasnt executed. Look for improvement next weekend.....
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read