Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-12-2005   #1
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Does Capers' Coaching Lead To Injuries?

Seems like every season we lose players early to injury. Is a Dom Capers training camp harder on a player than another NFL training camp? Are we losing players to injury because the training sessions are too extreme, too rigorous?
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #2
clandestin
Veteran

nope, every team in the nfl is going through the same thing. With 90 guys out on the field playing a physical game there are going to be some twisted ankles, pulled hamstrings, etc, etc.

I wouldn't be concerned about any of the reported injuries so far. Most of those injuries wouldn't even be reported if this was the regular season, as guys would play through them. In training camp they take an especially conservative approach.
Old 08-12-2005   #3
TommyS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic
Seems like every season we lose players early to injury.
like who? (bennie doesnt count) niggling little hamstring strains happen all the time.
TommyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #4
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I have posted similar things in the past and you certainly have to wonder. I've often wondered whether it's a function of the weight room and what we are doing there. I think that's more likely a problem than what Capers is doing on the field. Are we trying to get too strong? Do we stretch enough? They are putting a very heavy emphasis on the lower body and legs and we are certainly getting a lot of what are stress and pull related injuries. Its one of those things where small pulls and tears go unnoticed or are ignored and then a turn or twist results in unexpected disaster. For example, when you look at BJ who seems to be somewhat fragile anyway, you have to wonder if they tried to over due the strengthing after rehab. A lot of the guys that were injured in year 2 are just now getting back to their old selves, but even they are showing signs of injury problems again. Another example of this was Glenn. I haven't heard of him having injury problems with Dallas after two years of groin problems with us.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #5
clandestin
Veteran

From the Dallas practice report:

Injury Update:
Missed Practice:
DT J ason Ferguson, ankle (8/9) - day-to-day.
FB Darian Barnes, sprained ankle (8/3) - day-to-day.
DE Marcus Spears, mid-grade MCL sprain, high-ankle sprain, strained calf muscle (8/5) - out nearly four weeks.
TE Sean Ryan, fractured fifth metatarsal in left foot; underwent successful surgery in Dallas on Sunday (7/31) - out four-to-five weeks.
FB Erik Bickerstaff, strained neck (8/6) - has only practiced on a limited basis, and will not play in Saturday's preseason game.
Returned to Practice:
S Justin Beriault, knee.
RT Jacob Rogers, shoulder.
Old 08-12-2005   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I've heard that the Texans do more practices in full pads with heavy contact throughout the season than some other teams. Denver for instance does a lot more work in shells where the Texans choose to be in full gear.

This might have something to do with the team wearing down as the season progresses.

Rest and lower levels of contact isn't useful because the players are weak as some seem to think; it's because they aren't machines.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #7
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans, 2003, I believe have only had one year where their injuries were anything significantly past the normal amount for an NFL team.

Many of the strains, tweaks, twists that are "news" now because a guy is not practicing. Once the season starts half of these are even noted.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2005   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I have posted similar things in the past and you certainly have to wonder. I've often wondered whether it's a function of the weight room and what we are doing there. I think that's more likely a problem than what Capers is doing on the field. Are we trying to get too strong? Do we stretch enough? They are putting a very heavy emphasis on the lower body and legs and we are certainly getting a lot of what are stress and pull related injuries. Its one of those things where small pulls and tears go unnoticed or are ignored and then a turn or twist results in unexpected disaster. For example, when you look at BJ who seems to be somewhat fragile anyway, you have to wonder if they tried to over due the strengthing after rehab. A lot of the guys that were injured in year 2 are just now getting back to their old selves, but even they are showing signs of injury problems again. Another example of this was Glenn. I haven't heard of him having injury problems with Dallas after two years of groin problems with us.
Parcells is one of the worst in theleague about making his players play hurt/injuried. The Julius Jones shoulder injury last year may not have happenn with another coach because Jones had already injuried his ribs and was having trouble breathing. Another player, Peterman, had and leg injury was sent back out and wound up being out for the year.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #9
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Their weight training and workout schedule is extreme to the normal non-athlete person, but very necessary. A year round routine of keeping their bodies in shape is key for the job and to help keep the injuries in check. Since on average, their careers are short anyway, they shouldn't take a vacation from this routine for very long. I don't think too many of them do.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyTexan
Their weight training and workout schedule is extreme to the normal non-athlete person, but very necessary. A year round routine of keeping their bodies in shape is key for the job and to help keep the injuries in check. Since on average, their careers are short anyway, they shouldn't take a vacation from this routine for very long. I don't think too many of them do.
If this is a reply to my post, let me clarify. I meant rest by having lighter days mixed in with the heavy hitting ones. I didn't mean months off at a time.

There is a wide variance in the amount of practice hitting the teams do across the league; it depends on the coach. It'd be interesting to see some numbers trying to correlate the number of high intensity work-outs with team success.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #11
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy
I agree, let's put dresses on them, and pillows tied to their
butts.
...Comedy Central, right?
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #12
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestin
From the Dallas practice report:

Injury Update:
Missed Practice:
DT J ason Ferguson, ankle (8/9) - day-to-day.
FB Darian Barnes, sprained ankle (8/3) - day-to-day.
DE Marcus Spears, mid-grade MCL sprain, high-ankle sprain, strained calf muscle (8/5) - out nearly four weeks.
TE Sean Ryan, fractured fifth metatarsal in left foot; underwent successful surgery in Dallas on Sunday (7/31) - out four-to-five weeks.
FB Erik Bickerstaff, strained neck (8/6) - has only practiced on a limited basis, and will not play in Saturday's preseason game.
Returned to Practice:
S Justin Beriault, knee.
RT Jacob Rogers, shoulder.
You don't see groin problems in this report. Ankles we all understand, but you don't see a lot of ham string and groin problems. We have had a lot of them over the last three years. Year 2 and 3 in particular were big problems. May be BJ's problems are not so accidental in one respect.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #13
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Groin injuries can happen in any sport. I played tennis all through high school and that's about as non-contact as you can get, but I still got minor groin things every now and then, usually the night after a lot of drills/after a playing in a tournament. Football puts a lot of stress on your lower body so it shouldn't surprise anyone.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #14
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see how there's a difference between ankles and groins. If anything, ankles are taped up pretty well. Either way, an injury is an injury. It happens. No need to nitpick. Glad the offseason is coming to an end.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #15
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

So who got hurt? Raising the urinals seems like it will help some of the taller players on the team.
Old 08-12-2005   #16
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected

Offtopic, but on the topic of raising urinals - I never realized how low urinals were in an elementary school until I went back to one sometime in HS. They need atleast one for people over 4'6".

Old 08-12-2005   #17
DoCt3rJ
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DoCt3rJ

Hamstring and Groin injuries, you see those all throughout the NFL. Specially with the speedier guys, they just aint getting enough fluid running through their legs, and stretching, eating and training right.
DoCt3rJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005   #18
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

I wonder how much of a correlation the hotter climate has to do with it. Hotter/more humid, get dehydrated faster and little things like this start appearing.

Old 08-13-2005   #19
Diehardtexan
Veteran

Look around the NFL camps and you will find that we have the least amount of injuries. It has nothing to do with the coaching staff. I wish you people quit trying to think that you know more than the trainers and the doctors who are there watching every thing the players do through camps.
Diehardtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005   #20
SA Fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestin
I wouldn't be concerned about any of the reported injuries so far. Most of those injuries wouldn't even be reported if this was the regular season, as guys would play through them. In training camp they take an especially conservative approach.

The answer to the question is nicely summed up right here.

Of the plethora of injuries, how many are for more than a week?
Zeke Moreno. Who else?

If this was the regular season, all of the other guys would be listed as probable.
But what is the sense of risking injury in the PRESEASON?
So they hold these guys out.
Better Than Bucs
SA Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read