Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Boston Herald: Texans in the Playoffs

Vinny

shiny happy fan
bostonherald.com's Michael Felger has an interesting tidbit in his prediction article.

Click the link for the full piece.

Robaire Smith, Houston: Like Winfield, the big defensive tackle is someone the Pats found to be a worthy adversary during his days with Tennessee. The Titans would have loved to keep him, but the cap dollars weren't there.

Prediction: Smith, who projects as an end in Houston's 3-4, will be one of the reasons the Texans make the playoffs while the Titans miss the postseason.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
It doesn't surprise me considering we looked better against the Pats than most teams last year.

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
Seems like a lot of people are taking notice of the Texans. I'm not certain whether that is good or bad, but the expectations are starting to rise. What I have been impressed with all along from day 1 is the character of the players. Even Mr. B was a presence even though he could not get out on the playing field. Seems like a lot of the guys want to win and we have been in a lot of games we probably shouldn't have been on paper. It certainly looks like it might be coming together all at the same time. Both Offense and Defense are being talked about at the same time. If we become successful on both sides of the ball at the same time, we will be a handful and then some. Its hard to wait for the start of TC and the 1st preseason game. I'm not certain what the preseason games will tell us because of all of the people trying to make the ball club. I would bet, however, the one game we may want to win will be the one against the BOYS. :soapbox:

Mischief

Waterboy
I've been discussing the Texans with several of the soldiers here and everyone is taking notice. EVEN one of them who is a HUGE Eagles fan, even he admitted we should be doing very well this year.

I'm not surprised by the prediction, several people share the same opinion.

edo783

Hall of Fame
Playoffs may be a BIT over optimistic (this year....Next year though very likely), but if we catch a couple of good bounces, could happen. Watch for the number of bandwagon types to jump on if we have early success. Of course they will jump off just as fast if we stumble.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
I think it all begins with the player attitudes. All you hear about from the players is wanting to win now and stop being mediocre and getting rid of the expansion label. For someone like Robaire Smith to say that he was impressed with the veteran attendance at TC says alot about the team considering he came from a team that has been deep in the playoffs for quite some time. I think you will see a really good football team this season.

I dont think that there is a team in the league that has a better attitude than the Texans. I am byass of course but they are a very focused unit. This team is just inexperienced. It as heart and talent and guts and coaching. It is just young. I think conservatively 6-10 is a reasonable guess - and 9-7 with a wild hair in me. We will probably fall somwhere in the middle of that - getting much better production from David Carr, the running game, and the offense as a whole. Defense is the question mark.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
there were maybe 3 games last year in wich we were domminated and had no chance by the begining of the 3rd quarter. but the texans did not give up or rollover. to me thats one of the most encouraging signs our team gave last year. and as you'll recall, before the season even began numerous players made comments about how the texans were a playoff type team. i love that attitude and look forward to more of it even if its not realistic.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Well, looking at last season I take two games completely out of the equation. The second Jacksonville game and the Tampa game both were lost causes (IMHO) from the start. We just didn't have the depth to play with the losses we'd taken so I don't factor them into the Texans "growth chart" at all.

Taking those two games out the Texans were scary competitive for their age. They were a handful of plays from going 10-6 which if you think about it is more than any team can possibly expect in it's second season and insane if you give a second year team as many injuries as we had to overcome.

Saying that sounds great but the NFL changes so quickly. I expect the Texans to win between 7 and 9 games this year with an outside possibility of as few as 6 and as many as 10 wins depending on injuries and how some of the teams we play do. An easy win in July can turn into a beatdown in October if that team you're playing turns a corner before you get to them.

We will however win the San Diego game. Of this I have no doubt. It will mark the first time the Texans win a game they're favored to win and lead them into week two where they'll get their first ever back to back win. They'll do it one better in week three and start the season 3-0 but past that I have no idea.

That's my official prediction.

aj.

All Pro
They were a handful of plays from going 10-6
They were also a handful of plays from losing the five games that they won. Even though it makes for exciting games, I'd like to see one or two games this year not fall into the pattern of "it will probably come down to the last series" (in the Texans favor of course). It will be interesting to see if that coaching mantra is still there this season, because this team shouldn't have to always "keep it close into the 4th" to win games this year -- Week 1 being the best example. Their goal for Week 1 should be to kick *** and take names, not keep it close into the 4th. I realize with the parity in the league these days it's harder to do, but there will be opportunities during the year to dominate opponents, not just hang with them. "Killer instinct" should be a new sign on the locker room wall this year. It's time.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
What ever happens this year in terms of games we win and lose, rest assured
it will be something we don't anticipate at this time. After we won the opener
last year on the road in Miami, I would have bet anything that we would have
won far more than 4 games the rest of the season. Of course we had all the
injuries and that was very signifcant for our W-L, but there's no guarantee that won't happen again - I sure hope not !

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
The road schedule is tough. I expect this is the year the Texans become a dominant home team, like 6-2. Whether they can become playoff contenders could be decided late on the road at the Jets, Bears, & Jags. Winning a couple of these games might be the key to the season.

TheOgre

All Pro
Lucky said:
The road schedule is tough. I expect this is the year the Texans become a dominant home team, like 6-2. Whether they can become playoff contenders could be decided late on the road at the Jets, Bears, & Jags. Winning a couple of these games might be the key to the season.
Well said Lucky.

pv1999

Waterboy
They were better than some of the teams that made the playoffs last year. This is the season to make the wildcard trip....next year we will host one. :twocents:

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
Well those away games should have some cold to snowy weather. I believe winning in those climates could tell us alot about the team.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
From a chat with Dominack Davis on his new website-

Moderator: How many games do you feel the Texans will win this year? And do the Texans make the playoffs? (from beerlover)
-----
Domanick: I hope we win them all. I am almost certain that we will make the playoffs!