Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-09-2005   #1
Waltman
Rookie

Cool To make the playoffs

I just wanted to get everyone's take on what the Texans record have to be to be a shoe in for the playoffs. I personally think a 10-6 season have to happen being in the AFC.
Waltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #2
Fldvldog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltman
I just wanted to get everyone's take on what the Texans record have to be to be a shoe in for the playoffs. I personally think a 10-6 season have to happen being in the AFC.
10-6 will probably get you a wild card spot -- although I believe the texans will go 8-8 this season...
Fldvldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #3
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we will be close, but no cigar at 9-7.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #4
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

wouldn't it be something if that Jags game on Christmas Eve actually meant making the playoffs or not. That would make it one hell of a game.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #5
fingers5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
wouldn't it be something if that Jags game on Christmas Eve actually meant making the playoffs or not. That would make it one hell of a game.
That was my exact thought when I first saw the schedule. To know that the Jags (basically our beatch) was coming to town in a game that could mean our first playoff birth. Already told the family not to expect me to come over that night.
fingers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #6
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Ill be an optimist and say that we get some solid play out of all our receivers and go 10-6 and make the playoofs in the wildcard.
Old 08-09-2005   #7
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just wanted to get everyone's take on what the Texans record have to be to be a shoe in for the playoffs.
14-2. Yep, that would be a 'shoe-in' for the playoffs. Anything other than that and we will just have to wait and see.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-09-2005   #8
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 84240 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

The trend the past few years has been 10-6 to get you in the door . Maybe if you get lucky and some teams expected to be contenders drop the ball , 9-7 might get you there .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005   #9
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start On # 69
The trend the past few years has been 10-6 to get you in the door . Maybe if you get lucky and some teams expected to be contenders drop the ball , 9-7 might get you there .
In the NFC that works, but in the AFC even a 10-6 might not get you in for sure.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005   #10
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltman
I would not say 10-6 is a definite playoff spot. 12-4 is most definitely a playoff spot. The big question is the consistency of the team. The Texans will have to perform at top level every week to make the playoffs. You can still lose those 4 games by a close margin.

Personally, I would love to see the Colts fighting for a playoff near the end of the year instead of being so far ahead.
Old 08-10-2005   #11
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
Ill be an optimist and say that we get some solid play out of all our receivers and go 10-6 and make the playoofs in the wildcard.

AMEN!!!!!!
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005   #12
geofb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
We need some MIRACLES in these positions:

1) O-LINE - We need some serious EPIC/BIBLE like miracle here. Not only does it have weak players, but there is no depth. Their weakness translates to weak ground and passing game. Their incompetance makes this offense look idoitic at times.

2) TE - Miller is not the answer, Rivers is not the answer and Breuner is not. Either we bite the bullet and place another lineman to max protect Carr or start the rook. I mean do SOMETHING. Miller is no longer a downfield threat and is extremely inconsistent. Breauner can't handle DEs. I fail to see why sometimes Mark gets 1v1 coverage on DE on 4 man rushes. Maybe the coaches are idoitic..... hrmmmm

I agree. Wouldn't it be nice to have a TE that could both block and catch the football? Whenever Breuner is in there (which will likely be most of the time), the other team can pretty much bank on the fact that the ball won't be thrown to him. It makes playing defense against us that much easier.
geofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a "shoe in" record would be 11-5. Anything less than that in today's AFC is an iffy proposition.

I'm leaning towards a 9-7 record that might get us a wildcard if other people lose. We'd still have to be happy with it, simply because it would be our first winning record, and it's an improvement over last year.
Old 08-11-2005   #14
ocd
Rookie

Playoffs?

Crap, that's gonna take a friggin miracle! Who the hell is our left tackle? Until we get rid of Palmer we're still gonna be running an expansion team offense.

:brickwall
ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #15
Crank_It_Up
Veteran

I'd say 10-6 should do it, but don't we have the same offensive line as last year? Not sure about everyone else, but they were very offensive to me. No, I don't think we'll make the playoffs, or even 8-8 for that matter. But then there is always a chance the O-line will play better since they've been together for a while... sorta like there is a chance gas prices will come back down, lol.
Old 08-11-2005   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1) O-LINE - We need some serious EPIC/BIBLE like miracle here.
C'mon now Bud, don't go gettin' hysterical on us - keep this up and we'll have
to confiscate all of your razor blades. We haven't played a single preseason game yet, haven't even completed 2 full weeks of TC. You're as bad as that moony poster, written off the whole season before its started.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #17
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking

Quote:

1) O-LINE - We need some serious EPIC/BIBLE like miracle here. Not only does it have weak players, but there is no depth.
We had Moses and we let him go.

Maybe there's an LT out there named Jesus Something.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #18
Oilers/Texans
Veteran

9, 10, or 11 wins and you have a great shot at it.
Oilers/Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005   #19
GoPats
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 GoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballotGoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

The AFC should be tough again this year. Here's who I see winning their divisions:

East - Pats, and I'll go with 14-2 since that's been their record over the past two years

South - I've got to go with the Colts, say at 12-4

North - Pittsburgh will be challenged by Baltimore, but I think they'll eek it out at 11-5 or maybe 12-4

West - I'd look for the Chiefs to rebound from last year and win the division at 10-6

Your main competition for wild cards, then, would be the Jets, Ravens, and the Chargers. Within your division you'll be battling it out with Jacksonville for 2nd place, and don't count out the Titans even though 2004 was a rough year.

All that said... 10-6 should get you in. 9-7 would be a longshot.
Old 08-13-2005   #20
buddyroe
Rookie

The real final standings in the AFC.

East-N.Y. Jets 12-4 (It's their turn at it).

North-Pittsburgh 11-5 (Expect them to take a step back).

West-San Diego 12-4 (Last year was not a fluke).

South-Houston 13-3 (There's a surprise every year).

Wildcards-Patriots and Colts although the Bronco's may
sneek in ahead of the Patriots.

Superbowl- Houston 27 Carolina 10

When the so called experts say no one could have seen this
coming you can smile and know that once again they
were wrong.
buddyroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read