Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2005   #21
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Really not trying to give you a hard time U4, but how could you even mention those 2 names in the same sentence ?
Because both were injured and Broncos. Nothing more than that Nunu. Rice playing was notable for the obvious reasons just like Clarrett sitting out was.

I'm not sure what there ST guy Ferguson was looking at - but there were more than 2 blocked punts in the ST drills last night. I counted 3 myself and 2 tips. After the 2 blocks in a row - the next series Sauerbraun [sp] tried to punt and stopped because he couldnt even get the ball off as one of our defenders was allready standing in the backfield next to him and they called the play. The very next series it was almost blocked again only this time the blocker tipped the punt and Saur came down on him and a flag was thrown. Funny because it was a penalty on the blocker who pushed our guy into the punter. Broncos punting unit looked bad for the most part until they subbed in the second teamers.

Hulk75 - Actually I didnt see their corners blitz that often at all. What I saw most of the time was them playing man to man robber coverage on the backside with the Safety playing QB spy over the top.

What I saw was their CB's key on the eyes of the QB several times and their rookie Darrent Williams pick off 2 passes in a row. Our receivers looked very lack-adaisical in their route running last night outside of Dre, Mathis and Kasper. I saw Bradford drop 4 balls. One he dropped right at the goal line in his hands as he tried to one hand catch it. He got the raspberry from the fans after that one. He did it again a few plays later in the back of the endzone and dropped the ball again. IMO Our Pass offense looked really out of sync last night - timing was off most of the night in the passing game. Carr looked rushed and flustered at times - never making his second read and threw 2 picks. Banks was overthrowing everything and everybody even in drills and threw 2 picks in the 7 on 7's and then a third in the 2 minute drills. Ragone was average out of the 4 QB's on the night only throwing 2 pics and one bad overthrow. All 3 QB's threw pics to the same route and same spot. I would have figured Palmer would have realized the play wasnt workign and would quit running it, but no they just kep on going. IMO Simmons will be cut after this TC - he showed little to no progress at all - He had No zip on his balls at all and looked very shaky - still very much lookign like a college QB. He got 4th team reps and yet didnt do anything with those reps when he got em. One series he rolled right out of the pocket because of pressure from the backside and threw the ball into the turf 5 yards in front of the receiver. Then turned around and walked back to the end of the Offense line and just kind of moped around not talkign to anyone. Overall the Houston receivers did not run crisp routes and the QB's did not make 3 and 5 step reads and passes. The offense looked sloppy and slow. The times they did have some success were when they got rid of the ball out of the backfield and into the hands of a receiver before the defense could react and read the play. The initial 5 seconds. Almost everytime a play went past 10 seconds or more the Denver Db's were knocking the passes down or picking them off.

Last edited by U4ikrob; 08-11-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-11-2005   #22
SESupergenius

Looks like more of the same and nothing has changed. We are going to get killed by the cover 2 this just like we have in the past. No QB protection=a very long season. I saw the highlights from the scrimmages, boy are we getting burned. Reverses, sacks, int's.....sound familiar? Oh the 's are going going to be squeeling when their expectations fall short. Remember, getting younger doesn't necessarily = better.

Old 08-11-2005   #23
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Again, THANK YOU, to those who have been kind enough to describe what they saw at the scrimmage.
Old 08-11-2005   #24
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Sounds like right now that AJ, Mathis and Kasper are possibly our top 3 receivers long term. Gaffny's injury is not helping him and Corey is his usual self. He knows how to get open and get to the ball, but he can't catch it. Armstrong and Starling seem to be kind of lost in the mix. Sounds like Kasper is one of those special go to guys in the end zone. That could bode well for the Texans. Mathis is the speed merchant and AJ is AJ. We now have a real good mix of receivers who can bring pressure in different ways. This is a very encouraging development.
Old 08-11-2005   #25
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

John McClain on Jerry Rice and AJ with comments on Mathis.

On the right hand side you will find a link to the McClain feature, but it reads Rice reacts to T.O. Controversey. That's the one you want to listen too. I think they have two links and I can't get the link to the one you will really like. The other one is sort of short nothing compared to this one. Its very interesting and many of you will like it. Apparently Jerry and AJ are becoming quite friendly towards each other. I think McClain sees a future in Mathis. Enjoy!!!!
Old 08-11-2005   #26
southtexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
Looks like more of the same and nothing has changed. We are going to get killed by the cover 2 this just like we have in the past. No QB protection=a very long season. I saw the highlights from the scrimmages, boy are we getting burned. Reverses, sacks, int's.....sound familiar? Oh the 's are going going to be squeeling when their expectations fall short. Remember, getting younger doesn't necessarily = better.
Lighten up dude, it's only practice.
Old 08-11-2005   #27
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexan
Lighten up dude, it's only practice.
You play like you practice.

Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2005   #28
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Sounds like Kasper is one of those special go to guys in the end zone.
I was at the practice session last night, and was amoung the group at the
EZ where the Texans O was running 7-on-7 drills against the Denvers D and I was talking to a guy next to me who was a Broncos fan. He said Kasper was
with Denver 2 years ago, and I think he said Arizona last year. The Broncos fan said the guy has been in the league 5 or 6 yrs with almost a different team every year - in other words, he's a real NFL journeyman. But he made some catchs last night, including the best catch of the evening (described earlier). And I remember him from a practice last week and he was playing well on some punt coverage drills - Kippy made a big fuss over him on one play and gave him a big "atta-boy". He has mediorce speed at best, but he's a tough cookie whos determined and has really good hands. But I would not think he could be characterized as special. You sure can't miss him out on the practice field with the big group of Texans WRs - he's got a thatch of
platinum colored hair hanging out the back of his helment.
Old 08-11-2005   #29
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

From the looks of it, Kasper and BJ Symons could start a boy band if things don't work out here.
Old 08-11-2005   #30
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ikrob
I'm not sure what there ST guy Ferguson was looking at - but there were more than 2 blocked punts in the ST drills last night. I counted 3 myself and 2 tips.
You are correct. Ramon Walker had both blocked punts, Shantee Orr had the tipped punt early in the evening. Jason Bell was the one thrown into the kicker.
Old 08-11-2005   #31
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Guess we can look forward to blocking 3 punts a game this year! Awsome!
Old 08-11-2005   #32
ocd
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I was at the practice session last night, and was amoung the group at the
EZ where the Texans O was running 7-on-7 drills against the Denvers D and I was talking to a guy next to me who was a Broncos fan. He said Kasper was
with Denver 2 years ago, and I think he said Arizona last year. The Broncos fan said the guy has been in the league 5 or 6 yrs with almost a different team every year - in other words, he's a real NFL journeyman. But he made some catchs last night, including the best catch of the evening (described earlier). And I remember him from a practice last week and he was playing well on some punt coverage drills - Kippy made a big fuss over him on one play and gave him a big "atta-boy". He has mediorce speed at best, but he's a tough cookie whos determined and has really good hands. But I would not think he could be characterized as special. You sure can't miss him out on the practice field with the big group of Texans WRs - he's got a thatch of
platinum colored hair hanging out the back of his helment.

Last time I saw Kasper he was extremely fast...he's got jets just gets injured a lot and falls down when he gets bumped,
Old 08-11-2005   #33
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Kasper has always been fast. He's a physical specimen.

http://www.kevinkasper.com/

Quote:
WR: Kevin Kasper, Denver Broncos
I'm always on the lookout for physical specimens. Guys with freakish size/speed ratios or other unusual physical abilities and attributes. And Kasper fits the bill -- and then some.

Denver Post staffer Patrick Saunders wrote earlier this year, "Take away the bleached-blond hair, earrings and perpetual tan, then add 4 inches, 20 pounds and 10 years of NFL experience, and Denver Broncos rookie wide receiver Kevin Kasper would be Ed McCaffrey."

In addition to the fact he was drafted by Denver head coach Mike Shanahan, a guy with a pretty solid track record when it comes to divining talented young receivers, it's hard to ignore remarkable physical attributes the 6-3, 195-pound Kasper brings to the table.

During Kasper's pre-draft workout, he demonstrated remarkable speed and agility by posting 43 1/2-inch vertical leap, a 10-foot, 6-inch standing long jump and a 4.43-second time in the 40-yard dash.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/fan.../15/back_page/

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Old 08-11-2005   #34
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"During Kasper's pre-draft workout, he demonstrated remarkable speed and agility by posting 43 1/2-inch vertical leap, a 10-foot, 6-inch standing long jump and a 4.43-second time in the 40-yard dash. "
OK Vincent, thanks for the link on Kasper. I was definitely wrong about his
natural abilities including his 40 time, 4.43 wasn't too shaby. Wonder why
he fell all the way to the 6th round, with his Big 10 resume seems like he
should have gone much, much sooner than that? Bigger question is why he
bounces around so much ? Who knows, maybe he doesn't want a permanent home with a single team but's kinda an NFL nomad. He's definitely an intersting player and an interesting character.
Old 08-11-2005   #35
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, you had a good eye by noticing him in the first place I see. I haven't kept up with him much but do know that he has always been a bit like Bradford in the fact that he has always been a better athlete than football player. Perhaps he is a late bloomer and will be able to help us.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Old 08-11-2005   #36
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Well, you had a good eye by noticing him in the first place I see. I haven't kept up with him much but do know that he has always been a bit like Bradford in the fact that he has always been a better athlete than football player. Perhaps he is a late bloomer and will be able to help us.
I have yet to see Kasper, so I will have to take your word on how he looks. From what I have heard from you guys so far, Kasper has a chance to make the roster. My question now is this: If Kasper makes the 53 man roster, who's spot does he take? We all know that A. J. is a lock, and probably Gaffney as well. I also think that Mathis is a lock. Of the others, I thought that Armstrong and Starling were almost guarantees as well. I did question whether or not Bradford makes the roster, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. That is the top 6 WR's as I see it at the moment, so that leaves Swinton, Kasper, Thomas, and the others on the outside looking in. Do we keep 6 or 7 WR's this year? I said from the start that I didn't think Swinton would make the roster and I gave Kasper even less chance, but now it sounds as if Kasper may have passed up Swinton. If we only keep 6 WR's this year, for Kasper or one of the others to make the roster one of the top 6 that I stated above would have to be gone.

So of these 6 below, who does Kasper(or one of the other longshots) replace?

1. A. Johnson
2. J. Gaffney
3. C. Bradford
4. D. Armstrong
5. K. Starling
6. J. Mathis
Old 08-12-2005   #37
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9
So of these 6 below, who does Kasper(or one of the other longshots) replace?

1. A. Johnson
2. J. Gaffney
3. C. Bradford
4. D. Armstrong
5. K. Starling
6. J. Mathis
I think it will be Starling. Mathis handled most of the punt return durites so think he will be kept on for those duties to start with and the Z-receiver when need be because he has the speed. Honestly I thought he looked liek a #2 guy with his trying to make plays everywhere. He did much better than Bradford did on the night who dropped two gimmes trying to one hand catch them. Gaffney never played in contact drills. Kasper looked sharp though too and made several grabs including the back of the endzone highlight catch. He's got an attitude though and cheap shotted a Denver player after a hard late tackle on DD. Shoving and stuff comenced and David Carr actually stepped up and calmed things down as the leader of the team talking to the Broncos guy and the refs.

I think Kasper is one one of those kind of receivers you never know what to expect, but delivers on a good performance regualr enough you dont want to keep him off the field either because he makes plays when he gets the ball. He made several tough catches in traffic - What I call effort plays because he had to work for the ball.
Old 08-12-2005   #38
southtexan
Veteran

Quote:
You're correct. You play like you practice..... but during a game one single play can change everything. A blocked punt here, interception, etc. Predicting how our season is going to be based only in one practice itís not something that I would do. I canít wait for the real games to begin.
Old 08-12-2005   #39
DoCt3rJ
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DoCt3rJ

From the looks of it Denver whooped us around in practice -_-
Old 08-12-2005   #40
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard Capers say that the mistakes they made in practice would have been mistakes made in the game if they had not practiced. i wouldn't bet the season on a few practice sessions. alot of guys know how to step it up for real games.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read