Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2005   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Broncos' take on their upcoming Houston visit

"You play against them so much you even know their mannerisms or their moves," Coyer said. "The key to this (week in Houston) is (that) you’re playing against guys with different colored suits. It’s a different team and you don’t know them. It’s a different group; a different deal. They’re very gifted, we know that. Their quarterback is very gifted, receivers are gifted, talented offense. It will be very competitive, I’m sure."
"I doubt it will be 'only' practice.," fullback Kyle Johnson said. "It's competition. We're going to be practicing. We're going to have a preseason game and I would imagine it would be extremely intense. I'm not going to sit here and prepare for a practice. I'm going to sit here and prepare for an intense battle."
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...4&storyID=4417
Old 08-09-2005   #2
Capster67
Veteran

Default Hoping for a Win Saturday!

As a Texans fan living deep in the heart of Bronco land, I am seriously hoping for a win. It has been tough living through two preseason losses and one regular season loss up here. It's time to come through and send the Broncos packing!!!! I've been telling folks up here its the Broncos' roster that resembles that of an expansion team more than Houstons'. Now it's time to prove it.
Old 08-09-2005   #3
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Broncos will be tough to deal with. Both their offense and defense were top 10 last year. This will be a good test for us. Wished they weren't a zone blocking team so the guys would get some good work against a team that isn't.

De Oppresso Liber
Old 08-09-2005   #4
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

What's the status on Maurice Clarett? Is he ailing too much to come to Houston for preseason week?
Old 08-09-2005   #5
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69008 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

The Broncos always seem to get right to our weaknesses and exploit them . Its so frustrating to lose to a team like them when you know that we have better talent . The just seem to have our number . I have a feeling though that will all change this weekend .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
Old 08-10-2005   #6
ocd
Rookie

broncos are gonna go 3rd or 4th in their division imo. Shanni will be gone at the end of this season. First preseason game means absolutely nothing so if our first team does well or poor, oh well. What will be important is individual play of Wand, Peek, Babin and Buchanan. And how can I forget Mathis.
Old 08-10-2005   #7
Waltman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocd
broncos are gonna go 3rd or 4th in their division imo. Shanni will be gone at the end of this season. First preseason game means absolutely nothing so if our first team does well or poor, oh well. What will be important is individual play of Wand, Peek, Babin and Buchanan. And how can I forget Mathis.
Yeah, what he said.
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2005   #8
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

wasn't it I fullback from the Broncos that D-Rob laid out? hmm do I hear round 2
Old 08-10-2005   #9
Aojaguar73
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to Aojaguar73

[b][i]Mike will not lose his Job as Denver Head Coach sorry that you think that
Old 08-10-2005   #10
HardCoreTxn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HardCoreTxn Send a message via MSN to HardCoreTxn Send a message via Yahoo to HardCoreTxn

I cant wait for tonight!...thanks again Filo!!
Old 08-10-2005   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Player quotes
www.HoustonTexans.com

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ne...php?PRKey=1823

Capers (real player link)

QB David Carr

(on the intensity level being higher going up against a different team) “Oh yeah, definitely. Especially when you get the guys that either you’re going to play in the preseason or are going to play in the regular season. It always steps up a notch. Everyone’s competitive juices get going and you want to beat every body else. Even though its a little 7-on-7 drill or 1-on-1 or whatever it is, you want to win.”

(on being excited to finally go up against a different team ) “Yeah it’s nice. I’m tired of seeing Gary Walker and Kailee Wong and all those guys across (the line of scrimmage). Those guys are supposed to be my teammates. It’s nice to work against them but it’s also nice to take your skills and go work them against someone else.”

(on Kailee Wong’s contract extension) “Yeah Kailee’s taking me out to dinner tonight actually…and the next night, and the night after that.”

(on if practice sessions help going into the preseason) “Yeah, definitely. Again, I think anytime I think you can practice against other guys and see how your offense, your scheme and your personnel match up against those guys, and what adjustments you might have to make before the season starts. It can’t do anything but help you.”

(on if he got a better feel for the offense today) “Yeah actually we did. I thought we were pretty consistent even though it was just one practice. There weren’t any highs and lows we just kept moving the ball and kept completing passes so I’m excited. Hopefully it translates.”

(on Jerry Rice and Andre Johnson chatting after practice) “Jerry’s a good guy. I’ve gotten to play in a golf tournament the last couple years with him. Just for a guy who’s done all the things that he’s done to be so down to earth to come up and just say hi and ask how I’m doing. (He’s a) class guy.”

(on feeling an awe factor upon seeing certain players) “Oh still, when I see Jerry Rice. Just some of the things he’s done (in this league) in 21 years now. I was born when he was a freshman in college. So the guy has a little experience on me. So definitely.”

WR Andre Johnson

(on meeting with Jerry Rice after practice) “It was great. To get advice from the best receiver to ever play the game was something that I’ve been waiting for. I finally got a chance to do it.”

(on the advice Rice offered him) “He just told me to just be coachable, and that’s something that I am. When a coach is telling you that you need to do this when you’re running a route, don’t act like he doesn’t know what he’s talking about or talk back to him or things like that. (Rice) said that he still feels like a little kid out there on the field. He still loves the game.”

(on the possibility of breaking Rice’s records) “That’s going to be hard. To play that long…that’s a lot of yards and a lot of touchdowns and a lot of receptions. You just have to work at it, but it’s going to be hard to break (those records).

(on speaking to Jerry Rice) “It means a lot. I didn’t realize he has been in the league 20-some years. That’s amazing. They say you can only be in the league four years, for a football player. He has been in it for 21. It was really great to finally get a chance to talk to him.”
(on if he’s going to train with Rice) “Yeah, I hope so. Like he said, he still loves the game and he’s like a little kid when he’s out on the field. He continues to work hard. He invited me to come up and train. I’m definitely going to go. I’m going to take him up on it. I think it would be a really good experience for me.”

RB Domanick Davis

(on whether anyone won or loss today) “You can’t really judge it. There was just good tempo going on, trying to stay off the ground and trying to get a good practice in.”

(on going against another team) “It was good going against somebody else. You get tired of going against the same team everyday. So it was good we had them in today to get some good work in.”

(on trash talk from the Broncos during practice) “What kind of talk? I didn’t hear too much on our side maybe on the defensive side. But it was pretty quiet and guys were trying to get some good work in.”

CB Phillip Buchanon

(on if he thought any team “won” today) “No, not really. This is only the first day so everybody is taking it kind of cool right now. We’re just relaxing; trying to get into a groove.”

(on what he said to the Bronco players out on the field) “I told them to just take it easy. Just don’t anybody get hurt out here today. Let’s just take it easy and have fun.”

WR Jerome Mathis

(on how his speed matched up against the Broncos DBs) “I really didn’t get a chance to show it. I ran a lot of intermediate routes so it was kind of hard to show the speed. But coming out of the break, I had like a three yard cushion on some of them. I did okay for the first day, but still there’s a lot more room for improvement.”

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Old 08-10-2005   #12
Trapped
Veteran

Is it me, or are we really fortunate to have a Great WR like Andre Johnson. I mean u won't get any stunts from him like Chad Johnson and Joe Horn. Won't get the Big Ego's like the TO's and Moss's.

After seeing the fiasco that is going on in Philly, i think we should sign this guy to a Houston-Texan Lifetime contract. He only comes around every 20 years.
Old 08-10-2005   #13
buddyroe
Rookie

We are very lucky to have a class organization. An extension
for AJ will be done in good time. Thank god this isn't the eagles
front office. Just ask Davis and Wong.
The foundation is laid, time to build the dynasty.
Old 08-10-2005   #14
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

we are very very fortunate to have a man like andre johnson here in houston...i can always deal with the stunts like horn and chad johnson...i really can't stand the off-field issues that come with a guy like moss or to...the only person that really suffers from johnson's and horn's behavior is them...but andre is a class act and i hope he continues to play like a bigger version of jerry rice...he may never be as good as jerry but if he continues the path he's on he will be mentioned as one of the all-time greats at that position...atleast that's my opinion
Old 08-10-2005   #15
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyTexan
What's the status on Maurice Clarett? Is he ailing too much to come to Houston for preseason week?
Nope Clarett didnt make the trip, but we got to see Rice lineup and run some routes tonight.

Broncos looked pretty good - their defensive secondary was very sharp tonight - they picked off 7or 8 passes [2 from Carr] in 7 on 7's and full squad scrimmages.

The good guys were doing ok, but our D-line got little penetration on the first team Denver offense. Our offense struggled several times in 7 on 7's, 2 minutre O and full squad scrimmages. Pass protection was ok at best. Special teams were awesoem tonight with 3 blocked punts during ST drills and a few close calls. Didnt get to see the Defense work out much - I was sitting on the offensive side of the field for practice.

Should be an interesting game on saturday.

Last edited by U4ikrob; 08-11-2005 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-11-2005   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the practice schedule called for blitz drills.
Old 08-11-2005   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ikrob
Nope Clarett didnt make the trip, but we got to see Rice lineup and run some routes tonight.
Really not trying to give you a hard time U4, but how could you even mention those 2 names in the same sentence ?
Old 08-11-2005   #18
HardCoreTxn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HardCoreTxn Send a message via MSN to HardCoreTxn Send a message via Yahoo to HardCoreTxn

TC was great last night..I didnt really get to see the defense,..I have to say I was most impressed by Mathis (td punt return) great moves and VERY fast! and WR Kevin Kasper...keep your eye on this kid, great hands, quick on his feet, awesome leaping ability, Kasper made a spectacular catch from Banks in the endzone which I believe was being thrown away, has Largent-like moves...and Ramon Walker with 2 blocked punts in a row!
Old 08-11-2005   #19
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer
Default Denvers take on 1st practice

I thought it'd be neat to check out Denvers view on how the first practice went. I'll copy some of the article from their main site but the whole story's a good read for anyone who wants a different view on our Texans.

On the first of the practice-closing drives -- which saw Houston's No. 1 offense face Denver's first-team defense (which was still minus Champ Bailey nursing a hamstring injury) -- safety Nick Ferguson closed out matters by intercepting a David Carr pass that was intended for Andre Johnson.

--blah! It's only practice...

When the second-teamers took the field, Broncos cornerback Curome Cox picked off Tony Banks to close the Texans' five-play march.

--Second string... and... it's only practice!

Ferguson had a particularly active evening. One play before intercepting Carr, he sacked him for an 8-yard loss -- although a sack was merely a tag. The teams practiced in shorts and shells on Wednesday night, limiting contact

--Lets hope this isnt a sign for things to come...

Denver's punt-protection team yielded two blocks Wednesday night, something 2004 special-teams captain Ferguson attributed to two causes.

The first was inexperience.

"We've got a couple of young guys on some of our units, so they have to get familiar with seeing different things from other teams," Ferguson said. "It's the first time we've seen another team opposed to ourselves in practice, so we have to get accustomed to that. But I'm sure that they'll be ready for game time."

In Ferguson's eyes, the second was miscommunication.

"All it was (was) some guys mixing up the count," Ferguson said. "Maybe they saw something different that they didn't see in practice, and that just threw them off. On the third unit, (special teams coach) Ronnie (Bradford took someone out and put Tick (Keith Burns) back in, who's a veteran guy, and things were going better after that."

When the Broncos did get punts off, speedy rookie Jerome Mathis was ready. The fourth-round pick of the Texans blazed up the right sideline for two lengthy returns after two long-distance punts off the foot of Broncos rookie Paul Ernster.

--That's what I'm talkin 'bout! Take it to the house Jerome!!!!!

While Denver's defense shut down the Texans in "move-the-ball" work by forcing two interceptions, the offense found mixed success. The first-team offense drove into field-goal range as Jake Plummer completed passes to Rod Smith, Ashley Lelie and Jake Plummer to set up a 45-yard field goal by Jason Elam.

The No. 2 offense was not as successful against Houston's second defense; its drive petered out at the Texans 30-yard-line when a fourth-down pass from Bradlee Van Pelt for tight end Jeb Putzier went through the tight end's hands ...

--I'm hoping that this reads exactly oposite as it does now come tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2005   #20
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Last night was supposed to have alot of blitzing. It was planned.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read